• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve says the Steam Deck’s specs is comparable to EliteMini UM700 (a $600+ miniPC)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Valve says that the Steam Deck’s specs is comparable to the Minisforum Deskmini UM700 , though Steam Deck will have slightly stronger GPU and slightly weaker CPU. But of course the Steam Deck also has a screen, game buttons, gyro, portable etc)

“The team looked around and found this mini-pc on Amazon, which has similar specifications to a Steam Deck. It has:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3750H
  • Radeon RX Vega 10 Graphics
  • 16GB of ram

deck_post_2.jpg

The team agreed that while the GPU is a little weaker, and the CPU is a little stronger, it's pretty comparable to the specs of a Steam Deck when running games at 1280 x 800. This one was $660 on Amazon, and there are definitely other options out there. Just look for ones with similar CPU / GPU specs, ideally using an AMD chip and Radeon graphics to be closest to Steam Deck.”

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I don't really get how this is comparable.

The CPU of the 3750H is a Zen+ whereas the Deck uses a Zen2 with considerably higher FP performance. Maybe they're counting on this Zen+ getting higher clocks because it's a 35W chip.
But then the GPU on that APU doesn't really go above 1.1GHz so it's actually some 1.4 TFLOPs of Vega architecture (not great for gaming).
But the biggest culprit here is memory bandwidth. This mini pc uses dual-channel 2400MHz DDR4, whereas the Steam Deck uses 5500MHz LPDDR5. It has 2.3x more memory bandwidth.

Perhaps their main concern was to find a Zen quad-core for games that doesn't have a trimmed GPU. All the Zen2 quad-cores I find have Vega 3 or Vega 6 GPUs, all of which could be a lot slower than this Vega 10.

My guess is the most comparable solution in actual performance should be a 15W Intel Tiger Lake with LPDDR4X 4266 and Intel Xe 96 GPU (better CPU, worse memory bandwidth, similar GPU).
Though perhaps Valve is aiming for binary compatibility on Linux over similar raw performance.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

You just reminded me how shit most fizzy drinks are in the UK now. Thanks OP.

"Oh I love Dr. Pepper! Oh wait I loved it when it wasn't hampered by the mental UK sugar tax. 4.7-4.9g per 100ml FTW... said no one ever who loves tasty beverages"

Top Bottom