• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve says it hasn't found a game Steam Deck can't handle

CitizenZ

Banned
IDK, i would like to know the % of players using the Deck for games that are made to be played in ultra wide/high res /big screens/ high frame rate. There is a reason i have and always will have a laptop.

Last edited:
The salt is strong in this thread…Sony warriors…just stop plz

I'm not sure how Rift Apart would be like on this device but I'm sure it would be downgraded quite a bit.

For a handheld it's incredibly powerful and spanks the Switch pretty hard. I'm looking forward to what it can emulate because hopefully PS3 games will be playable on it. If not then PS2/GameCube games would be awesome on it.

Let's see it play Star Citizen.

it can, here it is:

XBdOCRM.jpg

MistBreeze

actually I think steam deck is a fantastic idea

yes it is too early and it feels beta product but I'm really optemistic

I assume it will force valve to improve proton even more so it will benefits more compatibility to linux gaming

it will force valve to develop downscale techniques ( maybe graphics setting profile ) or DLSS or FSR wider support and this will help games compatibility on low spec hardware

so it is win win situation

and this will be more glorious with next gen mobile chips in coming years

bender

What time is it?
People sitting on thier high horse spelling doom for a product they have never touched that isn't even out yet, I love it.

That's an interesting read. I didn't spell doom for Gabe Gear any more than you spelled their correctly.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Bruh, not everyone has english as their first language, chill.
Also, some of y’all living in denial

I'm the other side of a pillow, baby. Just clarifying the incorrect words that were put into my mouth.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm the other side of a pillow, baby. Just clarifying the incorrect words that what put into my mouth.

Nah it's OK, I just type too fast, plus I skipped grade 4 so I can't spell. Some bad grammar there though bender......lol

bender

What time is it?
Nah it's OK, I just type too fast, plus I skipped grade 4 so I can't spell. Some bad grammar there though bender......lol

The point was the typo, it was a comparison of equal wrongness. You can go through my posts and find tons of typos, spelling and grammar errors.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The point was the typo, it was a comparison of equal wrongness. You can go through my posts and find tons of typos, spelling and grammar errors.

Oh, I am missing everything today! Mine are a train wreck of errors........

Anyhow, long live any portable that isn't switch. I want to see more portables, I think the switch, the deck, and a sony or ms one can co-exist......
Without competition Nintendo will just sit on thier hands till 2027.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Oh, I am missing everything today! Mine are a train wreck of errors........

Anyhow, long live any portable that isn't switch. I want to see more portables, I think the switch, the deck, and a sony or ms one can co-exist......
Without competition Nintendo will just sit on thier hands till 2027.
Exactly! Some folks still don’t get the fact that multiple handhelds will benefit the consumer. Monopoly of a market is never a good thing.

kyliethicc

Even 2021 games are running no problem.

In a new video with IGN, Valve talked a bit more about the technical capabilities of the Steam Deck and its AMD processor, stating that even games releasing this year "have been running without issues."

"We've been looking at various games the past few years in the back catalog, but the real test for us was games that were coming out last year. They just couldn't really run very well on the previous types of prototypes and architectures we were testing," Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais said. "This is the first time we've achieved the level of performance that is required to really run the latest generation of games without problems. All the games we wanted to be playable is, really, the entire Steam library. We haven't really found something we could throw at this device that it couldn't handle."

Griffais said that current PC gaming trends that favor high frame rate performance and high resolutions help the Steam Deck, because it means games will easily scale down to its lower resolution 800p display and run at at least 30Hz.

Valve reiterated that it's using a brand new AMD CPU and GPU, along with LPDDR5 RAM, an especially fast new memory standard. "We might actually be one of the first products to showcase this memory technology," said Valve hardware engineer Yazan Aldehayyat. "That gives a lot of future proofing, especially since we're not the only people with this architecture. Any optimization that game developers make for this new architecture will carry forth to benefit us as well."

The architecture Alderhayyat's referencing is the one-two punch of AMD's Zen 2 found in Ryzen 3000 CPUs and RDNA 2 in the Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards. (you can read a deeper dive into the Steam Deck's hardware here).

"It wasn't until now that we felt the entire Steam catalog is available to people who have this device," Alderhayyat said. "That's when we knew we had a product that is going to deliver the experience we're looking for."

Knack 2 baybee

sunnysideup

Banned
No one is going to get rid of their high end pc. The deck does not replace your high end pc, it compliments it.

Your high end pc is going to be deck in docked mode.

And the deck is going to be your handheld pc. when you want to leave your game room, and play outside, on a trip, in your bedroom, where ever..

That is the beauty of it. Of course you will have to compromise a bit in the game settings when you want to play games on a handheld. Some comprimises wont be as noticible simply because the 7 inch screen is more forgivable. But unlike every other handheld, with the deck you can play what ever game you want, you can continue your save of your favorite game that you started to play on your high end pc.

You are not locked into what is ported to on a nintendo handheld. You can play everything.

Its truly a revolution.

acm2000

Playing pc games at 30fps is like knocking one out in to a sock while your girlfriend is right they're next to you ready and waiting.

Last edited:
Playing pc games at 30fps is like knocking one out in to a sock while your girlfriend is right they're next to you ready and waiting.
How do you manage to speak of a stereotypical PC gamer in the same breath as implying that said gamer has a girlfriend? :p

Besides, the sock option is more viable on a train or a bus. :p

Last edited:

Tschumi

They should try age of empires 2 with 8 players in a huge map at 200 population.. computers haven't been able to handle that without hitching since ensemble was at the wheel in the early 00s...

martino

The Medium? Really, out of all the games in the world you choose a walking simulator? LOL! Just play a video of a walkthrough, it's basically the same level of gameplay regardless.

smh GIF
i'm really curious to see how deck play those dual viewport sections.
it will be better but this is current amd apu at 720p during dual viewport

now correctly informed
OMKy9kj.jpg

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I strongly doubt the Deck is running Cyberpunk in a playable state considering the PC requirements.

It’s still a very powerful device no doubt.

Evilms

Banned
Steam Deck is a beast for a handlheld machine unlike the Switch which was obsolete when it was released in 2017.

GymWolf

It's cool that people that will own one will be able to play dark souls trilogy, sekiro and elden ring om the go.
I sincerely pity the people who are gonna ruin their first run of elden ring on a fucking tablet at 720p with medium details and unstable framerate.

I like steam deck but some games need to be played on a proper screen with proper details\framerate at least for the first run.

Fredrik

Games PC minimum requirement seems to be lower than Deck too.
Yeah that’s the good stuff. I was honestly sure I would have to drop everything to low. Being able to play at mid or even high in some cases seems unreal.
But I’m playing in 1080p on my PC so I know how much lower resolution can do. I’m maxing out everything even on a puny 3070Ti, raytracing and all.

On the other hand, that Steam Deck can ”handle” everything doesn’t mean it’ll run everything smoothly. And there needs to be a system level frame lock so we don’t get fluctuating framerates in the 40s.

Top Bottom