• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve reveal Steam's best-selling games of 2020

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Valve avoid giving numbers or even a definitive ranking for anything. They sort games into ‘bands’, largely not explaining the metrics defining these, and randomly shuffle the order in which they’re presented. So you can broadly see which are successful, but not which is the most successful nor how any compare to others within their band. And they are missing the end of December (and therefore Steam Winter Sale), obvs.

For your convenience, I’ve re-sorted all Valve’s lists into alphabetical order. I’ve also only included the top bands. The full lists of games (many, many more games) are up on Steam right now (switch between categories with the tabs), along with a few extra words from Valve.

Top Sellers by 2020 Revenue

This covers the cost of the game itself plus DLC and in-game purchases. The list’s mostly what you’d expect, though it is impressive that Cyberpunk 2077 crept in despite launching in December. And it’s neat that Among Us made the revenue list despite only costing £4. Whole lot of folks suspicious of their pals this year.

Among Us
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Cyberpunk 2077
Destiny 2
Doom Eternal
Dota 2
Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
Grand Theft Auto V
Monster Hunter: World
Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds
Red Dead Redemption 2
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

New Releases​

Valve say this list goes by revenue in the two weeks following release. Again, lots of things you’d expect, though I am surprised that several former Epic Games Store exclusives had such big Steam debuts despite being ‘out’ for months. And several of these are covered by Xbox Game Pass subscriptions, yet evidently many folks preferred to outright buy them.

Baldur’s Gate 3
Borderlands 3
Command & Conquer Remastered Collection
Cyberpunk 2077
Crusader Kings III
Death Stranding
Doom Eternal
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
Fifa 21
Football Manager 2021
Grounded
Half-Life: Alyx
Horizon Zero Dawn
Mafia: Definitive Edition
Marvel’s Avengers
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
Persona 4 Golden
Resident Evil 3
Sea Of Thieves
Star Wars: Squadrons
Temtem
The Outer Worlds
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Most Played​

Not based on sales, this. The Most Played category goes by peak concurrent players in 2020, with the top tier being games which broke 200,000. It’s largely the big multiplayer games you’d expect, plus Cyberpunk obvs, then the surprise appearance of Life Is Strange 2. Nice one, LIS!

Among Us
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Cyberpunk 2077
Destiny 2
Dota 2
Grand Theft Auto V
Life Is Strange 2
Monster Hunter: World
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds
Terraria

More at the link

DonJorginho

Banned
You can't call yourself the PC Master Race anymore when you have a mid ass mobile game as your number one most played/top selling title.

/s (kinda? Still embarrassing, that game sucks the duttiest of booty cheeks, keep Among Ass way from consoles please so we don't embarrass ourselves either)

Last edited:

Dogman

You can't call yourself the PC Master Race anymore when you have a mid ass mobile game as your number one most played/top selling title.

/s (kinda? Still embarrassing, that game sucks the duttiest of booty cheeks)
This makes no sense. This would have topped the PS4 and Xbox charts if it was on there as well

DonJorginho

Banned
This makes no sense. This would have topped the PS4 and Xbox charts if it was on there as well
Did you not read the /s?

Among Ass dominating 2020 shows how low gamer's standards have fallen, the most lazy titles can become worldwide sensations with a click of their finger. Minecraft was a small indie title that was actually innovative and fresh, this is just lazy and repetitive shit that most userbases will eat up sadly due to FOMO with their favourite streamers milking this game to the bone.

Graciaus

I only played Borderlands 3, Risk of Rain 2, and Persona 4 from those lists. I did contribute to that Dark Souls 3 player count though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Multiplayer dominating.

NeoGAF in the front. Me in the back.

00e2a6744ab9aea25e6e3ca20e0fe46f.gif

Bodomism

Banned
Anyone here knows how much each of those tiers generated?

My estimation

Platinum - over 150 million usd
Gold - over 70 million usd
Silver - over 35 million usd
Bronze - over 10 million usd

MrFunSocks

Banned
But no one will ever buy any Microsoft games because of all the free game pass subscriptions!

Amazing to see not one but 2 MS first party games in the best sellers for the year on Steam.

Among Us is amazing, sorry it’s not cinematic and linear enough for GAF.

PUBG got legs for days. It’s still my most played game on Xbox too.

Sales showing the reality of the gaming market - multiplayer is number one.

Kerotan

But no one will ever buy any Microsoft games because of all the free game pass subscriptions!

Amazing to see not one but 2 MS first party games in the best sellers for the year on Steam.

Among Us is amazing, sorry it’s not cinematic and linear enough for GAF.

PUBG got legs for days. It’s still my most played game on Xbox too.

Number one on steam. Playstation single player is probably about equal.

Multiplayer dominating.

NeoGAF in the front. Me in the back.

00e2a6744ab9aea25e6e3ca20e0fe46f.gif

You see numbers but fail to realise most obvious thing - majority of those titles are not 2020 releases - this means that multiplier market is dominated by existing service games and unless you hit jackpot like Among Us or Fall Guys you aren't going to make a dent.

Meanwhile there are mutiple single player games selling millions of copies each year.

Did you not read the /s?

Among Ass dominating 2020 shows how low gamer's standards have fallen, the most lazy titles can become worldwide sensations with a click of their finger. Minecraft was a small indie title that was actually innovative and fresh, this is just lazy and repetitive shit that most userbases will eat up sadly due to FOMO with their favourite streamers milking this game to the bone.
Oh dear, here we have another gamer who thinks a game needed to be AAA graphics to be worth anything.
You need to give the game credit, because it isn't even the only Werewolf PC game in the genre. It got popular because it was fun to play and they got the balance right between the hunters and hunted both being able to have fun. If you think it is easy to succeed then you haven't seen all the others that failed.

I personally don't play multiplayer games, but I certainly am not going to attack them for not being "real games" or of a low standard, whatever that means. The game float to the top for the reason, the fact that you didn't know the other competitors exist is just on you.

Multiplayer is definitely king at micro-transaction sales which is why I wish we got unit sales instead of just revenue sales. Cyberpunk doing good, tho for 3 weeks of charting.

perkelson

The shocking part is that Cyberpunk was released Dec10 and this list came out today. That is like 2 weeks and 77 dominates everything that was released whole year.

Congratz to CDPR. They trully made one of best games of last 20 years, shame though bugs derailed community train. In few months once bugs will be fixed it will be hailed as greatest, you'll see.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

/s (kinda? Still embarrassing, that game sucks the duttiest of booty cheeks, keep Among Ass way from consoles please so we don't embarrass ourselves either)
It's being listed here alphabetically, Valve did not put them in any order, just grouped them to where we know the "top 12."

But a mix of styles of games including shooters, story driven games, and more casual fair just proves the PC has a wide market is all. Lots of stuff is doing quite well.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

You should try it sometime. I played one night with some friends and, while I started thinking it was going to be shit, it ended up being really fun.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Oh dear, here we have another gamer who thinks a game needed to be AAA graphics to be worth anything.
You need to give the game credit, because it isn't even the only Werewolf PC game in the genre. It got popular because it was fun to play and they got the balance right between the hunters and hunted both being able to have fun. If you think it is easy to succeed then you haven't seen all the others that failed.

I personally don't play multiplayer games, but I certainly am not going to attack them for not being "real games" or of a low standard, whatever that means. The game float to the top for the reason, the fact that you didn't know the other competitors exist is just on you.

I've noticed that gamers who prefer bleeding edge graphics are typically casual in nature.

The most interesting games from a game mechanics/design perspective are almost always average to below average looking games.

The most formulaic games, and games that ask players to ignore the controller for long periods of time are often AAA looking games.

Somewhere along the line, there was a switch.

It's great to see the market led by hardcore type games.

Top Bottom