• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve approves Half Life 2 VR mod - launches 2022 on Steam

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Valve has officially given the nod of approval to a fan-made Half-Life 2 VR mod. It will get it's own Steam store page and will be a free download for owners of Half-Life 2.

Before the release, the mod must also be viewed and approved by Valve, according to the agreement. Half-Life 2 VR, like Black Mesa, will get its own Steam page and can then be installed with one click.
Article: https://mixed-news.com/en/valve-approved-half-life-2-mod-launches-2022/

Official website of the mod: https://halflife2vr.com/

Gameplay of an April 2022 build:

Ribi

Valve over here letting people remake their games while Nintendo DCMAs soundtracks on YouTube.
you say that but check the tf2 mod scene. Valve told them to wait and then went radio silent for a year and had the mod team limbo without communication

Dream-Knife

Banned
you say that but check the tf2 mod scene. Valve told them to wait and then went radio silent for a year and had the mod team limbo without communication
That is really odd. I see TF2 classic and Open Fortress are back up now, but still no comms from Valve.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Valve has officially given the nod of approval to a fan-made Half-Life 2 VR mod. It will get it's own Steam store page and will be a free download for owners of Half-Life 2.

Article: https://mixed-news.com/en/valve-approved-half-life-2-mod-launches-2022/

Official website of the mod: https://halflife2vr.com/

Gameplay of an April 2022 build:

Heard the setup for this one was kinda tricky, or at least it was some time ago. Glad to see it's coming as an official release, should be way easier to play by then.

Now do the same for the HL 1 mod pls.

Last edited:

Moses85

I Love Them GIF by Amazon Prime Video

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We've been rather busy in your absence, Mister Freeman. The wait is nearly over, and the Half-Life 2: VR public beta is launching in September. And yes, we do mean this year! :)

A project as large and ambitious as Half-Life 2: VR is never truly finished. There is a lot that we still want to do, and still want to improve on, to make it the best VR experience we possibly can.

However, the overwhelmingly positive feedback from our private beta testers has convinced us that the game can be completed from start to finish, and it’s also quite enjoyable to do so, and we wish to give you the opportunity to experience it for yourselves. So go and retrieve your crowbars from storage, and we will see you soon!

lukilladog

I still have memories of motion sickness induced cold sweat and stomach pain from this game, I´d like to see someone play it without teletransportation for a couple of hours.

lmimmfn

I still have memories of motion sickness induced cold sweat and stomach pain from this game, I´d like to see someone play it without teletransportation for a couple of hours.
The day my Oculus DK1 arrived, i played HL2 in VR for 6 hours solid(without teleportation), so its a YMMV thing.

Really looking forward to the beta for this!

supernova8

Banned

I tried the space station frisbee sort of game on Quest 2 a year ago (can't remember the name) and it made me sick pretty quickly. I generally don't get VR sickness but yeah anything floating around in space (or I guess changing direction/position in an unnatural manner) just throws me.

Wonko_C

You just made me remember why I stopped playing that game altogether back in the day when we were still using CRT monitors: It made sick for the rest of the day and never touched it again

After Playing Alyx last month, I'm ready to give this version a go with full locomotion. :)

Last edited:
You just made me remember why I stopped playing that game altogether back in the day when we were still using CRT monitors: It made sick for the rest of the day and never touched it again

After Playing Alyx last month, I'm ready to give this version a go with full locomotion. :)
I use vrocker for movement in games like this and it's perfect. Keeps my back from getting stiff as well since I'm always moving and I find reduces motion sickness.

Half life 2 in VR still remains one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. The atmosphere just comes to life with the scale of those environments.
I'm with you on this.

And the first time I played it it was on a much, much lower quality headset (the DK), without motion controls (actually, with a set of razer hydra!). Yet still it was amazing.

It's time for the Orange Box VR.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

ayyy can't wait to try this out on September!

Kinda scared about the vehicle sections tho. :messenger_fearful:

I use vrocker for movement in games like this and it's perfect. Keeps my back from getting stiff as well since I'm always moving and I find reduces motion sickness.
It also looks like a nice workout lol. Will have to check that out, thanks for mentioning it!

Last edited:

lukilladog

The day my Oculus DK1 arrived, i played HL2 in VR for 6 hours solid(without teleportation), so its a YMMV thing.

Really looking forward to the beta for this!

When Alyx came out I was watching a few streams, 13 out of 15 people experienced motion sickness from what I saw, I recorded this myself:

TintoConCasera

When Alyx came out I was watching a few streams, 13 out of 15 people experienced motion sickness from what I saw, I recorded this myself:

Montion sickness is a pretty common thing with VR, and while some people are more sentitive to it, some others just never experience it.

You can train yourself tho. Just grab a simple game with continous movement like Wolfenstein 3D and play that on VR for a while during a few days. It took me like 3 or 4 days to get rid of my motion sickness forever.

Skifi28

They should also allow fans to make half-life 3 because at this rate I'll die of old age before playing it.

JCK75

Biggest thing I want to see in HL2 mods is increasing the map size to fit modern PC's.. the load times in that game could be like every 20 seconds at some points.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Montion sickness is a pretty common thing with VR, and while some people are more sentitive to it, some others just never experience it.

You can train yourself tho. Just grab a simple game with continous movement like Wolfenstein 3D and play that on VR for a while during a few days. It took me like 3 or 4 days to get rid of my motion sickness forever.
I get nasty motion sickness from FPS games. For some reason, I've never gotten sick playing VR games. I've spent a few solids hours playing over the years too.

I should be getting an Index Headset next month, stopped my second Alyx playthrough just to wait for that, $250 for a used headset and I already have the knuckles should be a blast with this too :D

Looking forward to starting a new playthrough for this. May only get as far as Ravenholm tho, the Poison Headcrabs & Zombies sounds were skin-crawling enough without VR

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Oh shit, didn't know that was a thing.
I finished HL2 many years ago, I was thinking about playing it again and this is definitively the right timing 😻

*warming up my Rift S*

Oh wait, just read in the FAQ that episode 1 and 2 are not available, yet, but will eventually come to.
I guess I will wait a little more before playing this awesome mod.

Damn, I'm so excited by this new 😻

happy cat GIF

Last edited:

Romulus

I played Garry's Mod a couple of years ago and it was simply awe-inspiring to see HL2 from that perspective. The scale of those environments in VR really hits home in a way it just cannot be replicated. Garry's Mod was sort of wonky, but it worked. This looks far better.

There's something about HL2 that feels modern too somehow and in VR it just feels like a new AAA experience outside of the quirks of Garry's Mod.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
From their roadmap page, it sounds like they plan to include upgraded textures etc later, but for now they recommend using any existing mods for the same purpose. Anyone have mod suggestions for slightly improving the assets without changing the feel of the original game? When I finally have a chance to play it this weekend, I want to set up the optimal configuration.

TintoConCasera

From their roadmap page, it sounds like they plan to include upgraded textures etc later, but for now they recommend using any existing mods for the same purpose. Anyone have mod suggestions for slightly improving the assets without changing the feel of the original game? When I finally have a chance to play it this weekend, I want to set up the optimal configuration.
Nope, but would love to know if you find out.

I wonder if this mod is compatible with MMod. That one adds bullet ballistics (no more hit scan) which would be awesome to have in VR.

I keep forgetting about this and then getting excited again after each thread bump until I forget again :messenger_grinning_sweat: If its available today then I can't wait to close the shop and head home, haven't played HL2 in quite a while so a VR playthrough will be golden.

Top Bottom