• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces a new portable, Steam Deck

ssringo

Looks uncomfortable but going through the specs shows you can hook up a proper controller, keyboard/mouse or whatever else. Comfort aside it seems like a good piece of hardware for a decent price.

LQX

I'm already in love with this thing considering the amount of games I have on Steam and would love to play portable if I could. I hope it is comfortable though, it does not look it.

Also, I hope it sells well as a big fuck you to Nintendo for not going all out with the OLED Switch.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
UikIMaj.png

It's about time Nintendo gets their teeth kicked in
Agreed but really not so sure this is going to do it lol

The dpad and buttons look uncomfortable at first, but it appears that the bottom corners of the thing are rounded and wedge shaped, so while holding it your hands might naturally be pointed slightly outward, which would make hitting those buttons more comfortable.

JimboJones

Honestly, kind of interested would make the choice of buying indie or third party games either on switch or steam easy and having cloud saves standard via steam would be kinda cool to go chill with portable when not sitting at computer. I always liked that feature in Witcher 3 and the Switch version.

I was actually excited about this until I saw the button and dpad placement. I’ll have to wait and see I guess.

edit: Why am I lying to myself? I know I will reserve one tomorrow.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The Steam Deck comes in three different models, all of which have the same custom AMD APU, meaning there isn’t a power difference between them. However they do differ primarily in their storage capacity:

• $399 for a 64GB SSD
  • $529 for a 256GB NVMe SSD
  • $649 for a 512GB NVMe SSD, as well as an anti-glare etched glass screen treatment.
All three versions also have a Micro SD slot to expand their storage further. In an interview with IGN, Valve President Gabe Newell said hitting the Steam Deck’s price point was “painful” but also “critical” to its success.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Why is my account not able to place a reservation until Sunday?
We are aware of potential unauthorized resellers, and as an additional safeguard to ensure a fair ordering process, we’ve added a requirement that the reserver has made a purchase on Steam prior to June 2021 for the first 48 hours of reservation availability.
This is smart. Less scalpers the better.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do I need a Steam account to use Steam Deck?
The default Steam Deck experience requires a Steam account (it's free!). Games are purchased and downloaded using the Steam Store. That said, Steam Deck is a PC so you can install third party software and operating systems.
OK I'm definitely buying this.

Top Bottom