• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces a new portable, Steam Deck

Ryu Kaiba

Seems like people are moving up the queue if posts on reddit are to be believed, possibly because we're inching closer to people actually having to shell out half a grand.
Honestly if you're still on the fence just reserve a unit. If anything the temporary hype has died down, people are left to wonder whether they actually want one, and cancel their reservation in the coming two months. Shit you might even get Q1 2022 that way.
This is exactly what i thought would happen! It only costs 5 dollars to reserve one but what happens when its time to actually pony up the $500 bangoes. I figured a lot might fall off.

Either that or valve is just securing more.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

How can you tell what your expected delivery window is?
Go to the Steam store, type in steam deck in search, click and you will see the steam deck banner. scroll down to the three models. Look for the model you pre-ordered and it will tell you expected delivery quarter.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Kinda neat we will have a handheld soon that will have Halo and God of War on it. What a time to be alive.

What's funny is any time someone uses the phrase "what a time to be alive" it somehow makes me more excited about whatever is being talked about, even if it is lame. LOL
In this case there is actually reason to be excited though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Have they released any more information on the dock, other than "we're making one"?

I imagine I'll spend most of my time playing this portably (just like the Switch, which I rarely play docked) but it's nice to have the option - and I also would like a place to set it up to charge.

Interfectum

Kinda neat we will have a handheld soon that will have Halo and God of War on it. What a time to be alive.
Portable Horizon, God of War, Halo, Forza, Final Fantasy 14, etc. All on a non-windows portable device. It's fucking black magic and seemingly a future minefield for all parties involved.

At what point does Sony ask for their games to be blocked on Valve hardware? When they announce Steam Deck Console? :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
In terms of mobile technology x86 technology how is the future I terms of performance per watt. RDNA2 will be on Steam Deck correct? I'm just thinking it might be best to wait for the eventual Deck 2. Majority of games are cross gen still we don't know how Deck will manage with next gen only games. This next gen hasn't really picked up yet but I think I'm just going to wait until the big hitters release such as Monster Hunter World 2, Street Fighter VI and etc, basically games that I know id love to always play in handheld mode. There is no point picking this up for Street Fighter V and Monster Hunter World 1 as those games will be obsolete for me soon as the sequels arrive.

So looks like I'll wait until 2023/24 for the eventual Deck 2 once next gen games start picking up and I have a good idea how they run.

Denton

At what point does Sony ask for their games to be blocked on Valve hardware? When they announce Steam Deck Console?
At no point.
Sony is free to stop making PC games again though. Although they won't do that because they like making more money.

Ozriel

M$FT
Portable Horizon, God of War, Halo, Forza, Final Fantasy 14, etc. All on a non-windows portable device. It's fucking black magic and seemingly a future minefield for all parties involved.

At what point does Sony ask for their games to be blocked on Valve hardware? When they announce Steam Deck Console? :messenger_blowing_kiss:

are you under the impression that these games are handed over to Steam Deck owners for free?

You believe it’s a minefield for Sony or Microsoft for Steam users to pay them money for their games?

THE DUCK

I'm on board to buy one, but can somebody please explain the name "deck" to so that I dont think it's dumb?

PhaseJump

Banned
I'm on board to buy one, but can somebody please explain the name "deck" to so that I dont think it's dumb?

I don't know, but decks have been loose terms to describe the portable computer interfaces that hackers run around with and use to get into cyberspace, in different cyberpunk fiction.

William Gibson's Neuromancer had a cyberspace deck IIRC.

It could be related to that.

Last edited:

Holammer

I don't know, but decks have been loose terms to describe the portable computer interfaces that hackers run around with and use to get into cyberspace, in different cyberpunk fiction.

In the Shadowrun universe you have Deckers (hackers), they're even depicted holding keyboards. It was obviously ripping off Gibson wholesale, just like Games Workshop pilfered huge chunks out of Dune for 40k.

2-Shadow_Run_(U)__!__002.png

THE DUCK

I guess that sort of makes sense, but not too many people will get that, I just think of a deck of cards or my back yard deck. Thinking about what it could have been...

Steam Duo
Steam Mobile
Steam Portable
Steam Supercharger
Steam Connected
Steam Engage

I'm not great at names but it seems like there could have been some better options.......

PhaseJump

Banned
I guess that sort of makes sense, but not too many people will get that, I just think of a deck of cards or my back yard deck. Thinking about what it could have been...

Steam Duo
Steam Mobile
Steam Portable
Steam Supercharger
Steam Connected
Steam Engage

I'm not great at names but it seems like there could have been some better options.......

At least it's better than Steam Pal.

If they follow through with a SteamOS game console in a few years, I hope they just call it the Steam Engine.

Elysion

Banned
If they follow through with a SteamOS game console in a few years, I hope they just call it the Steam Engine.

Heh.

I actually think ‘Steambox’ would’ve been the perfect name for a Steam-based console. I wonder if Valve will try their luck with that again if the Deck is successful.

Agent X

The word "deck" has been used occasionally to describe a video game console. I've heard that term used as long ago as the 1980s. Here's what I said about that in this thread nearly a year and a half ago:

Agent X said:
Despite that terminology used in the manual, you almost never heard people use the term "console" in speaking about a video game system. Usually "system" was the preferred term. Occasionally, you might hear "machine" or "deck". I don't think "console" was frequently used until about 20 years ago.

Agent X

To above, yeah the Term deck to me just means machine or unit. You have cassete decks, turntable decks and lots of dj equipment is referred as such. The name Steam deck to me made perfect sense to me and never felt out of place.

Yes, I think the notion of calling video game consoles "decks" comes from people's familiarity with AV equipment. Many people would call cassette recorders/players "tape decks", so it's understandable that they might use similar terminology for video game systems.

Keep in mind that some people would also refer to video game cartridges as "tapes", because of their physical resemblance to cassettes or 8-track tapes. It didn't matter that most game cartridges didn't actually contain a "tape", it's the perception (by some) that they did that caused the name to stick.

MrA

Banned
Yes, I think the notion of calling video game consoles "decks" comes from people's familiarity with AV equipment. Many people would call cassette recorders/players "tape decks", so it's understandable that they might use similar terminology for video game systems.

Keep in mind that some people would also refer to video game cartridges as "tapes", because of their physical resemblance to cassettes or 8-track tapes. It didn't matter that most game cartridges didn't actually contain a "tape", it's the perception (by some) that they did that caused the name to stick.
nintendo has also been big on using "deck" as the term for their consoles,
atari actually used console with the vcs (probably evoking like a hi fi console) so did fairchild,

Grechy34

I really want to see how the big games run on this. I was excited at first but let's be honest, this is a weak PC that is running games at a lower resolution because of a smaller screen. It may be only a year or so which sees this already show age. Battlefield 2042, CoD: Vangaurd, Halo Infinite. These are all games I want to see. The other thing is in handheld mode a lot of what the PC has to offer (RTS, MOBA etc become less enticing - question marks on the trackpad) I am really interested to see how this thing goes but definitely in no rush and very much a wait and see. Valves foray into hardware hasn't exactly been stellar up to this point.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

On top of that news, Valve sent iFixit a Steam Deck to disassemble for a teardown video, which you can watch below.

Here are some highlights from iFixit's observations as it pulls the Steam Deck apart:
  • The joysticks being removable with no soldering is a big plus, so if joystick drift ever crops up, it's not a huge ordeal to replace
  • You can do the whole disassembly with just a Phillips screwdriver and a plastic spudger (assuming you're not also trying to remove the screen)
  • The Steam Deck's components are labeled particularly well, which makes reassembly a lot easier
  • If you're a chip nerd, you can read about everything on the motherboard here
  • Replacing the battery is technically possible, but definitely won't be easy

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It baffle me that so many big companies are out of touch with what players want.
BECAUSE WE WANT GAMES VALVE, NOT A FUCKIN SWITCH FOR PC.

1.6 TF and these cats are talking “latest AAA” games LMAO

I have the strong feeling this will Flop.

Remember the steam machines? This will have the same fate
"It's about time Nintendo gets their teeth kicked in"

Luc Belaire Say It Aint So GIF by Dot Cromwell
Here is a summary. Early posts are better than I expected though, good job Gaf.

Top Bottom