• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Elysium Announced (Square Enix, 2022, PS4/PS5/Steam)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Oh boy, a friend of mine pointed something that I missed.
"Is this another person of color in a Nordic setting again?"
PeHNxF2.jpg

Who's developing this?

Why are yall like this?

Faithless83

Banned
Why are yall like this?
No one is complaining about Forspoken. It isn't a hard concept.
Wouldn't people be pissed if the next Black Panther was white? Spoiler, they were by a "What if" sketch on twitter.
LOTR amazon series another great example.

Why make what is likely Hrist a person of color?

We know why, to avoid a backlash claiming that the game was "too white". Remember how much Days Gone was criticized by the "journos" by being "too straight/white"?

We all know what you've been through because of the same mob, (if you're Colin) and I appreciate your work, but there is no need to be on the high horse on this one.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wouldn't people be pissed if the next Black Panther was white? Spoiler, they were by a "What if" sketch on twitter.

Why make what is likely Hrist a person of color?

We know why, to avoid a backlash claiming that the game was "too white". Remember how much Days Gone was criticized by the "journos" by being "too straight/white"?

We all know what you've been through because of the same mob, (if you're Colin) and I appreciate your work, but there is no need to be on the high horse on this one.

- I'm not Colin. I lost a bet and the penalty was I needed to wear this avi. But I've always loved Colin's work in the games space over the last 10 years.

- I didn't think that character was based on a previous character. If so, then I agree she shouldn't be black.

- At some point we will need to realize that there will always be "people" that complain about everything. Corps shouldn't listen to literally every voice on the internet. The backlash for Days Gone was small and stupid.

Lethal01

This game isn't set in a fictional city that is defined by having only black people.
It's not set in a historically accurate Europe and even if it were, black characters would still exist in it.

It's an anime world (that has already had other dark-skinned characters) which is inspired by Norse mythology. Trying to pretend there is some reason it should have black characters is just silly.

That said, I'm not a fan of race swapping of existing characters if this is Hirst but if it's a total reboot whatever.

I didn't say anything about FInal Fantasy and certainly wasn't thinking of it as a standard to strive for...
But now that you mention it yes, she is even more generic than the average Final Fantasy protagonist.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I haven't played it yet but Tales of Arise was very well-received and there has been a ton of great turn based JRPG's.

Agreed. If someone is still crying about this shit now, there is no hope for them. They are just crying for fanfiction at this point.

Octopath moves almost 3 million units (likely past that mind you)
Tales Arise on launch, on LAUNCH WINDOW moves 1.5 million units
Dragon Quest XI moves around 7 million units
Persona 5 moves 5 million units
Yakuza 7 moved around 2.8 million making it the best selling Yakuza title

I don't know if this can be explained any fucking clearer, if something like this is not people wanting JRPGs, I don't know what the fuck to tell some people at this point. They are just crying for fanfiction....nothing is wrong with the genre, we are seeing them received better then they have been in generations. The genre will be fine.

In terms of Valkyrie Elysium, I haven't played the IP in ages, but see nothing wrong with this title, would need to see more.

Would rather have a remaster of Profile 1 and 2.
lol such a remaster would be done by a outsourced team for remasters and ports like Square normally does, for them that isn't even a "rather" situation as you got a Kingdom Hearts Collection and you got Kingdom Hearts 3, that wasn't a rather for them and I don't believe its ever been something like that.
As a fan of Valkyrie Profile series, I feel like th
lol as soon as I hear that shit like "as a fan of" annnnnnnnd let me guess, the armor is the wrong shade or? Most of the games don't even look like they are in the same generation, so I'd say this is literally in the ballpark of how the series was even back then lol So I never cared that Valkyrie Profile 2 on PS2 looked like the best looking PS1 game ported lol, it was a great game, so I'm not shocked that this looks like a gen behind. The series generally did that to my memory.

valkyrie-profile-psx.png

So looks cheap on PS1? Looks like a last gen game? Well....has the series not always been that way? I enjoyed them regardless and won't over look what could be a great jrpg based on "looks". If that was the case i'd literally miss out on this whole series as the games rarely look like their current gen counterparts. =)

Lethal01

FIrst of all, just to be clear this is not at all me saying Final Fantasy characters are very unique, it's almost the opposite.

But they usually have at least a few less common attributes, when it comes to costumes and weapons.
Using Cloud who is absolutely a generic anime boy, He at least is using a giant sword and wearing some modern baggy pants along with a shoulder pad that sticks out as looking less modern creating a bit of a blend of old and new.
Tidus's outfit is.... Just wild, I'm not even saying it's good but it's definitely not generic..
The FF9 protagonist looks unique simply due to the game having a unique artstyle but also, a tail and dual blades.

None of this is mind-blowingly unique design. But they are atleast a step above this girl.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Agreed. If someone is still crying about this shit now, there is no hope for them. They are just crying for fanfiction at this point.

I don't know if this can be explained any fucking clearer, if something like this is not people wanting JRPGs, I don't know what the fuck to tell some people at this point. They are just crying for fanfiction....nothing is wrong with the genre, we are seeing them received better then they have been in generations. The genre will be fine.

In terms of Valkyrie Elysium, I haven't played the IP in ages, but see nothing wrong with this title, would need to see more.

lol such a remaster would be done by a outsourced team for remasters and ports like Square normally does, for them that isn't even a "rather" situation as you got a Kingdom Hearts Collection and you got Kingdom Hearts 3, that wasn't a rather for them and I don't believe its ever been something like that.

lol as soon as I hear that shit like "as a fan of" annnnnnnnd let me guess, the armor is the wrong shade or? Most of the games don't even look like they are in the same generation, so I'd say this is literally in the ballpark of how the series was even back then lol So I never cared that Valkyrie Profile 2 on PS2 looked like the best looking PS1 game ported lol, it was a great game, so I'm not shocked that this looks like a gen behind. The series generally did that to my memory.

valkyrie-profile-psx.png

So looks cheap on PS1? Looks like a last gen game? Well....has the series not always been that way? I enjoyed them regardless and won't over look what could be a great jrpg based on "looks". If that was the case i'd literally miss out on this whole series as the games rarely look like their current gen counterparts. =)

For me it's not a matter of graphics being up to date.

The game just looks visually bad, I wouldn't mind if it literally looked like a ps2 game if it actually had a nice art style. The combat also just has shown nothing to make me think it's going to be good. So right now the name is the only thing that it has going for it.

EDMIX

For me it's not a matter of graphics being up to date.

The game just looks visually bad, I wouldn't mind if it literally looked like a ps2 game if it actually had a nice art style. The combat also just has shown nothing to make me think it's going to be good. So right now the name is the only thing that it has going for it.

True, but I'd need to see a lot more. Before giving it a pass. At worse I'll just buy it used after the fact lol

saintjules

These graphics look 100x more appealing despite being much less technically demanding. Nobody would be complaining if they made a new game like this. Instead they made a low budget Nier Automata wannabe.

I tell ya, when franchises go deeper and into full 3D graphics it's like they lose touch on what made a series great in the first place.

Same for Suikoden
Same for Grandia
Same for Breath of Fire

EDMIX

So the protagonist of this game having silver hair is what makes her super generic?

I'm not sure thats what Bass means, they mean having that copy paste, cookie cutter look and JUST changing the hair would be generic. They literally say "if you just focus on the hair, there is a ton of variety here" and they are not wrong too lol

To me, its been the biggest issue I've had with those type of anime type designs where they all look like the same fucking person and be like "silver hair, pink eyes...annnnnnd a different character" and its like the same looking character lol

So you got the greatest variety imho in those MMO games, but you sorta needed to if you consider you create that character and all so.......yea.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I tell ya, when franchises go deeper and into full 3D graphics it's like they lose touch on what made a series great in the first place.

Same for Suikoden
Same for Grandia
Same for Breath of Fire
I think anime doesn’t translate into 3D very well, most of the time. It loses so much style and personality. Especially when it’s low budget 3D models, it always looks like shit. I’d take well animated + expressive sprites over b-tier 3D models any day.

Point is SE still makes them but only for Switch/PC. Bravely Default 2 is a great take on the FF job system.

I definitely recommend Yakuza 7 too. Game is amazing and the best AAA take on a turn based RPG since dq11 to me.
I bought Yakuza 7 but I'm struggling to enjoy the battle system. The game is so damn easy. Does it get harder later into the game? I recently had the girl join my party. Story started out very strong I'll give it that

EDMIX

I bought Yakuza 7 but I'm struggling to enjoy the battle system. The game is so damn easy. Does it get harder later into the game? I recently had the girl join my party. Story started out very strong I'll give it that

agreed.

I like it, but it doesn't hold a candle to better turned based JRPGs. Its literally a walk in the park. Because I like the universe and the story and the world, I enjoy it, but I can't say as a turned based game ALONE that it would be reason enough for me to like it or something, I like all Yakuza games and I'd say that is the real reason I kept playing. Not a bad game, simply lots of better turned based jrpgs I'd recommend.

Lethal01 Lethal01 agreed. Lots of anime type characters look very copy and paste aka NFTs before NFTs lol

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

valkyrie-profile-psx.png

You sound very trigged, cool down your nerves. Won't gonna waste my time reading a 2 essay rant because you didn't agree.

Last edited:
I was wiser not to comment on this from the first page, but seeing as people are still delving on it...

That is not Hirst.
And the main Valkyria also "don't look like how a supposed mythological nordic woman should look like", she is very obviously an japanese woman with dyed hair, but I don't see people complaining about her.

valkyrie-profile-psx.png

Are you on drugs? What the hell are you talking?
Yes, Silmeria was among the best looking games on PS2, it looked very nice and the framerate felt flawless. While Profile was one the best looking 2D games on PS1 (naturally images you find on the internet doesn't do it justice like any other 2D game, it looked superb on CRTs as 神様 intented.).

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
This game isn't set in a fictional city that is defined by having only black people.
It's not set in a historically accurate Europe and even if it were, black characters would still exist in it.

It's an anime world (that has already had other dark-skinned characters) which is inspired by Norse mythology. Trying to pretend there is some reason it should have black characters is just silly.

That said, I'm not a fan of race swapping of existing characters if this is Hirst but if it's a total reboot whatever.

I didn't say anything about FInal Fantasy and certainly wasn't thinking of it as a standard to strive for...
But now that you mention it yes, she is even more generic than the average Final Fantasy protagonist.
Hell, let's have an anime world that is inspired by African myths and put white guys on it. Because why not?

See how moronic it sounds?

Faithless83

Banned
I was wiser not to comment on this from the first page, but seeing as people are still delving on it...

That is not Hirst.
And the main Valkyria also "don't look like how a supposed mythological nordic woman should look like", she is very obviously an japanese woman with dyed hair, but I don't see people complaining about her.
I said likely Hrist, but I'm interested on your explanation of how she's not Hrist.

Lethal01

Hell, let's have an anime world that is inspired by African myths and put white guys on it. Because why not?

See how moronic it sounds?

No, I've seen it done and love the results. Using something from a black culture doesn't mean every character involved needs to be black. " do you see how stupid that sound"? Not to mention Norse myth contains characters who are known for colored skin. If a cartoon about some white kid getting an amulet that gave them the powers of anansi I'd be laughing at anyone complaining.

No, every character in Asura's wrath didn't need to be indian. The white characters in Black Pather were just fine too.
And again, this is a series that already contains black characters who were there because the characters just thought they looked nice.

Again, your complaints are just idiotic.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Seen enough videos to know that tokenism isn't exactly something to be cherished or supported though I think the poster above did a better job addressing the question.

Tokenism. Hilarious that this handwringing and struggling to understand never occurs when another blonde haired, blue eyed cad is slapped on the cover of a game. No one ever second guesses the motives in that situation.

If they somehow came up with an excellent reason why a closed African nation somehow has a person of European descent with ties to Wakanda. . .sure. What is the rich lore behind this that says a Valkyrie can't be non-White?

EDMIX

You sound very trigged, cool down your nerves. Won't gonna waste my time reading a 2 essay rant because you didn't agree.

be like "da series expert here and I don't agreez" lol

Silmeria was among the best looking games on PS2
I greatly disagree, it literally looked like it was a generation behind.
While Profile was one the best looking 2D games on PS1
I agree and I like the game, its a great title.....clearly it didn't look like its 3D peers on PS1 and looked like SNES game. So I agree its one of the best looking 2D games on that system as its a personal favorite of mine.

It should have been put on PSN generations ago on their classics as it legit is a PS1 classic and a shame Square didn't put it on there.

but with how dated it looked, even with me liking how it look, it supports that this series for better or worse has a history of looking 1 gen behind. Not sure if its a budget thing, style or art direction or whats going on with that. tbh

manfestival

Tokenism. Hilarious that this handwringing and struggling to understand never occurs when another blonde haired, blue eyed cad is slapped on the cover of a game. No one ever second guesses the motives in that situation.
Ah the stereotypical non argument that leads to a dismissal.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow, this looks awful. Really unfortunate to see the series come back only to feel like it maybe should've stayed dead.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You can talk shit all you want but its been like 2 generations since there was another valkyrie profile game.
To be fair Silmeria despite her doll face does have better hair and isn't a dirty brown like this Valkyries hair is. However brown is still brown even if Silmeria is somewhere between light brown and blonde.

Actually the most recent VP game is a terribad mobile game. The last VP game we ever got was Covenant of the Plume on the Nintendo DS years ago. The last true VP and the best to date is still VP2.

Although storywise and how they handled all the Einherjar in their storytelling the original Valkyrie Profile still reigns supreme.

Never did and wouldn't dream of it.
Do you have any sources for your claim of norse gods that are described as having non-white skin in norse myth?

Edit: Not to derail the thread (apparently, there's a lot of danger in scientific/factual topics) - I don't care how the game looks as long as it plays well. And I don't think we've seen enough of it to have any idea of that.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Do you have any sources for your claim of norse gods that are described as having non-white skin in norse myth?

Edit: Not to derail the thread (apparently, there's a lot of danger in scientific/factual topics) - I don't care how the game looks as long as it plays well. And I don't think we've seen enough of it to have any idea of that.

The *stories of Dionysus involve him interacting with Indians who refused to drink wine. Norse myth also includes normal humans in the story.
They don't take place in a world where literally everyone is nordic, they take place in the real world.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The story of Dionysus involves him interacting with Indians who refused to drink wine. Norse myth also includes normal humans in the story.
They don't take place in a world where literally everyone is nordic, they take place in the real world.
What do you mean "the story of Dionysus" as if there's only one that was widely adopted by all ancient Greeks? The Dionysiaca epic you may be referring to here is no more true to the lost in time before recorded history origins of those Greek gods/characters than this video game is to the Norse stuff. It's much later fan fiction written (centuries after Alexander the Great's Indian campaign for example and while the creator expanded on earlier legends and accounts, Dionysus has been referenced since at least ~1300 BC yet I don't believe India was mentioned in relation to him until ~300 BC and it could still be considered fiction like other written accounts instead of religious text - I also don't believe the mycenaeans who first worshipped him ever made contact with India, their trade went as far as Egypt, I think the first accounts of Greece learning of India are at around 500 BC so obviously it can't be part of any Greek deity's original, well, origin) for entertainment rather than a religious text of the era discussing his "true" origins and what would be considered real in previous centuries as this one was actually written just as christianity was taking over and even its creator potentially converted. Like any old religion it was shaped within close communities (with often vast differences by location within the same eventual nation or country given it wasn't really a religion in the same way we consider it nowadays) before recorded history and before major interactions with different races and thus their gods and their people were originally depicted in the image of the people who created them, even if they did obviously acknowledge the existence of other races as time went on and people traveled, traded, invaded, interacted with each other. Of course I'm not saying there shouldn't be other races in this game (which much like the previous games is in no way trying to be authentic to its source material but create its own version), obviously what I'm saying backs up the viability of such as like that poem this video game is fiction, but this is still wrong.

Edit: so your response to all this is to selectively quote to hide your dumb bullshit and pretend I'm arguing against poc in this game, which I clearly didn't. And please, post your sources about how there's any legit dionysus origin story rather than entertainment fan fiction with literal poetic license that has him going to India anywhere near the ~1300 BC references of his pre-existing worship as a deity and far from the ~500 BC I mention is the first possible contact of ancient Greeks with India which your only response to is that you "believe" there was contact before then. You pretend that having centuries/millennium later fairy tales of how this or that deity interacted with brown people as you call them is more legit than using this video game as a source for Norse folks as depicted in their religion doing so. It's cool to have poc in this and any game but your point is ignorant/dumb.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
No, I've seen it done and love the results. Using something from a black culture doesn't mean every character involved needs to be black. " do you see how stupid that sound"? Not to mention Norse myth contains characters who are known for colored skin. If a cartoon about some white kid getting an amulet that gave them the powers of anansi I'd be laughing at anyone complaining.

No, every character in Asura's wrath didn't need to be indian. The white characters in Black Pather were just fine too.
And again, this is a series that already contains black characters who were there because the characters just thought they looked nice.
Asura's Wrath is blend with religion and science fiction quite different that what we have with Valkyrie Profile.
If you knew the game and the universe, you would understand where I'm coming from.
My problem is what is likely Hrist being portrayed by a POC.
Again, your complaints are just idiotic.
Wow, such a way to validate your argument. It almost feels like it's not good enough to hold on it's on. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Maybe, just maybe, because it's stated in the source material?
As I said before on the post you quoted, no one had an issue with Forspoken.
What is the rich lore behind this that says a Valkyrie can't be non-White?
It's Norse Mythology, rich enough? They all looked pretty white to me.
h5ePKeU.png

Top Bottom