• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Elysium Announced (Square Enix, 2022, PS4/PS5/Steam)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Valkyrie Elysium calls on its roots with music from series regular Motoi Sakuraba while driving the series forward in a fresh, new direction with classic combat mechanics, such as finishing moves and combo systems, reimagined for an action RPG. The game also features character designs by Yuya Nagai of CyDesignation

Game is developed by Soleil who did Travis Strikes Again.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Looks like they reimagined Valkyrie Profile as a low budget generic character ARPG. Why even bother resurrecting this IP just to shoehorn it into an overcrowded genre?

Also have to LOL at the way she runs with her arms sticking out like that. Looks like her hands are covered in shit and she’s trying to find a sink.

Croga

I am a massive fan of the series, Silmeria was one of my favorite PS2 era turn based JRPGs, so I am so disappointed they went this direction with the game.

It honestly looks terrible to me from a gameplay standpoint.

Shifty1897

Me: I sure hope we get Valkyrie Profile 3 one day!
Square Enix:
face slap GIF

Faithless83

Banned
Nah SE showed something great today 😘
I hope it turn out really good.
The turn based strategy game that looks like a mobile one?
It pains me how we need to beg for scraps...hopefully the "retro remaster" happens to more than just Dragon Quest.
FF games in that engine would be really good.

Shouta

It's definitely not going to be anything like the Valkyrie Profile games but I'm kind of excited we're getting the franchise back. If it does well, it might be incentive for a real VP3 down the line, lol.

There will always be games like that. The graphics are more dependent on the development budget than it is the hardware.

Yep. Honestly, we kind of need more games that have smaller budgets so designers/developers like the ones at Square-Enix can work on their IPs or ideas. We've been lacking smaller budget games from JP devs for awhile now so it's nice to see S-E really push that.

Last edited:

FStubbs

It's definitely not going to be anything like the Valkyrie Profile games but I'm kind of excited we're getting the franchise back. If it does well, it might be incentive for a real VP3 down the line, lol.

Yep. Honestly, we kind of need more games that have smaller budgets so designers/developers like the ones at Square-Enix can work on their IPs or ideas. We've been lacking smaller budget games from JP devs for awhile now so it's nice to see S-E really push that.
We have decades of experience now to know that "if you buy game A that you don't want, you might get game B that you do want" very rarely if ever works out. At best you get A2.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

If they wanted to make a low budget game they should’ve gone with a retro sprite based game or “HD-2D” type game. People would be fawning over it right now.

Instead they went with a poor-man’s Nier Automata. This has 65 Metacritic flop written all over it.

Keihart

I was optimistic until i saw the trailer.
The "cell shaded" black lines look so stupid with the overall direction of the game, they do nothing for the game aesthetically but i bet they are eating some precious frames duplicating geometry or some shit.

Not completly opossed to the more action idea even, but there was absolutly nothing in that gameplay showing confidence in a new action system that makes party combos as stylish or interesting as before, what a dud.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Ugh I watched the trailer a few times and it gets worse every time:

- ugly gray-ish piss filter

- pointless cell shading just to cover up how cheap the assets are

- dumb Naruto run

- apparently most of it takes place on top of piles of gray rubble

Come on. Valkyrie Profile was special because of its timing-based battle system, 2D platforming, and it’s large cast of party members. Why would you resurrect this series as a generic low budget ARPG?

Shouta

We have decades of experience now to know that "if you buy game A that you don't want, you might get game B that you do want" very rarely if ever works out. At best you get A2.
It never happens but one can dream. "pie_tears_joy:

If they wanted to make a low budget game they should’ve gone with a retro sprite based game or “HD-2D” type game. People would be fawning over it right now.

Instead they went with a poor-man’s Nier Automata. This has 65 Metacritic flop written all over it.

That'd be a pretty different direction for VP too considering the first two games were really nice spritework and pretty high quality 3D for the time. Covenant of the Plume was 2D on the DS but eh, I don't think anyone would be happy for VP to have something like that.

It's very likely that this game will only be good or decent at its best but I'm pretty okay with that. Better to attempt something like this than say, another gacha game, at least to me. It's also not the first time the Valkyrie games took a weird turn, the aforementioned Covenant of the Plume being the first one.

Last edited:

Vaelka

JRPGs are dead, funny enough it's SEGA that is the last bastion for turn based JRPGs.

Still, it is a Valkyrie game since the DS one, I'm hyped about it.
I haven't played it yet but Tales of Arise was very well-received and there has been a ton of great turn based JRPG's.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Looks like fun IMO. But the issue is going to be can it be as great as Fromsoftware Souls games because that's all you are getting here same with FF:SoP.

One is Dark Souls but Final Fantasy and this one is Dark Souls with Valkyrie Profile.

On that token though if you love the VP franchise you'll probably want to buy it.

And these two have to compete with Elden Ring. Which Elden Ring will just curbstomp them and if it don't then BotW2 will.

Edit: To the comment above. Yeah Hrist needs her own game. Kinda sad it's looking like you got another Silmeria looking Valkyrie.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Happy the Valkyrie series is back on console. I don't care about the visuals since they look fine to me, more worried about the animation since that's kind of important in an action RPG and it looks rough, hopefully just in-progress. They say it'll have classic mechanics so I wonder how they'll work that in. I'm hoping it turns out solid.

The BGM on the website is great.

Zephir

Both this and the next Star Ocean looks way cheaper than what they deserve and what SE is capable of, but I wanna be optimistic...let's see if future trailers will show something interesting outside the mere graphic power

Faithless83

Banned
I haven't played it yet but Tales of Arise was very well-received and there has been a ton of great turn based JRPG's.
It's on my list, thanks, but it's not like we are being flooded by turn based jrpgs at the moment.
I did enjoy FF7R A LOT, and I understand how they were niche even back in the 90's, but still we all can dream, right?
Maybe FFs Retro Remastered, Lunar, Grandia, Xenogears/Xenosaga and other dormant stuff will pop up eventually.

As I said, even if it's not our cup of tea, the HD remasters/low budget games are the publishers testing the waters, if you can, buy it to show interest.
In the end it's a business, we need to prove that there is demand for it.

Last edited:

Arthimura

I believe Square-Enix is trying to go with the trend of action-RPGs like Soulsborne with this Valkyrie Elysium, but it really looks low-budget.

I'm not convinced the game has enough investment to be something special.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
As much as I liked Octopath, it isn't on 90's JRPGs levels of quality.
Still have Yakuza 7 on my backlog but Persona is as close as we can get from good turn based jrpgs lately.

Point is SE still makes them but only for Switch/PC. Bravely Default 2 is a great take on the FF job system.

I definitely recommend Yakuza 7 too. Game is amazing and the best AAA take on a turn based RPG since dq11 to me.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
To my side, my noble Einharjar!

I love the original VP. I'm not sold on this action RPG take, it looks a bit linear and generic, but I will certainly hope to be proven wrong.

People are too negative on AA budget. Actraiser was great.

NanaMiku

I just realized that all big title from Square Enix is now action RPG. All turn based RPG is now just smaller scale games.

As much as I liked Octopath, it isn't on 90's JRPGs levels of quality.
Still have Yakuza 7 on my backlog but Persona is as close as we can get from good turn based jrpgs lately.
Personally, I enjoy Yakuza 7 more than Persona 5 Royal

Is there a point in making these low budget games exclusive? No one will ever look at this and think that they should buy a Playstation instead of an Xbox now.

Arthimura

I thought it looked great. Looks very fun to play. As always, it's just a bunch of whiny bitches in here complaining about graphics. I'm there day 1.
Graphics looks okay... for a PS3 game. It reminds me of Drakengard 3, which is a good game but below average graphically.

But the most important thing imo is the gameplay, if the project is so low-budget I don't have any reason to expect that the gameplay is going to be anything but average (at best).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It's probably exclusive because of the low budget. I thought lower budget "AA" games people wanted more of?
Lower budget games can be good if they have cool , interesting art direction and choose a style of game that works well with lower budget (Octopath and Hades for a couple recent-ish examples).

Not so great when it’s just an ugly, generic, watered down version of a AAA game.

Top Bottom