• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valiant Comics (Beginner's Guide) |OT| Out of the trash bin and into your hands.

Oh ok my bad. Sounded like it had been already going for a bit.

Any idea how they did it for XO?

Ah, good call on that. Here's the quote from the Secret Weapons and XO #4-9 bundles.

EDIT: or I can just post the Bloodshot text lol

"Fans and retailers, take note: The only way to obtain the BLOODSHOT SALVATION #1-12 PRE-ORDER EDITION BUNDLE is to reserve this limited item with your local comic shop by the initial order date (IOD) of July 27th, 2017! No more copies will be made available beyond that date and subsequent issues – including the BLOODSHOT SALVATION #1 RAMPAGE REDUX bonus issue – will not be offered in later solicitations!

Jump on board with a punishing new introduction to Jeff Lemire's Eisner Award-nominated epic...and get the fully loaded Bloodshot experience that no true fan can afford miss with 40 pages packed with exclusive content each and every month, only in the BLOODSHOT #1–12 PRE-ORDER EDITION BUNDLE – available only to fans who pre-order with their local comic shop by July 27th, 2017!"

JEKKI

Just to add to this, I started reading Magnus, Robot Fighter (Van Lente) this week and it's quality stuff. I haven't read the others except Gold Key Alliance, and that was pretty meh. As I understand it, at the very least, the Solar series by Barbiere is worth checking out.
Solar is OK, but it's also real dumb.

the character is like "nooooo there's a conflict and I don't know what to do!!!"

"watchu talkin 'bout? You're the Solar, you have all the powers..."

"oh that's right!"

BAM! just made a new planet!

Harbinger Wars 2 - May 2018

unnamed-37-768x1165.jpg

unnamed-36-768x1166.jpg

So I've been wanting to get into comics for a while. Had some failed attempts usually due to just the overwhelming amount of content and history.

Subbed to Comixology Unlimited and started reading the 2012 Manowar. Really liking it! It's nice to read this knowing nothing has been retconned or in a different timeline or whatever.

Ninjak owns so far in my introductions to him.

So can I read the Harbinger Wars deluxe edition and not be completely lost?

ehh I'd say no. HW is definitely hugely part of the whole Harbinger story. Harbinger is amazing though, probably my favorite longer series from Valiant.

So I've been wanting to get into comics for a while. Had some failed attempts usually due to just the overwhelming amount of content and history.

Subbed to Comixology Unlimited and started reading the 2012 Manowar. Really liking it! It's nice to read this knowing nothing has been retconned or in a different timeline or whatever.

Ninjak owns so far in my introductions to him.

Ninjak is awesome! The first volume or so of his solo series should be on Unlimited, as well.

XGdzFYN.jpg

hMyAUBc.jpg

RAI: THE HISTORY OF THE VALIANT UNIVERSE #1
Written by RAFER ROBERTS
Art by FRANCIS PORTELA

It is the year 4002 A.D....

Rai, the spirit guardian of Earth, has uncovered an ancient tome filled with history's greatest tales and civilizations darkest moments. Charting the dawning days of ancient Mesopotamia, all the way to the rise of New Japan, the history of the Valiant Universe is laid bare in shocking and revelatory detail. From X-O Manowar to Bloodshot to Faith to Divinity...history will reveal untold revelations for Valiant's greatest heroes and antagonists!

In the tradition of the original RAI #0, Harvey Award-nominated writer Rafer Roberts (Harbinger Renegade) and acclaimed artist Francis Portela (Faith) unleash a celebration of Rai's 25th anniversary with the third of four standalone specials honoring the most famed Valiant stories ever told!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | ONE-SHOT | On Sale JUNE 14th

Great jumping on point for new readers. It'll cover some of the events that have happened in the recent Valiant universe, giving new readers a chance to see some glimpses of what these characters are about.

--

bXyY1Yh.jpg

DIVINITY III: HEROES OF THE GLORIOUS STALINVERSE TPB
Written by JEFF LEMIRE, MATT KINDT, SCOTT BRYAN WILSON, and ELIOT RAHAL
Art by CLAYTON CRAIN, CAFU, ROBERT GILL, FRANCIS PORTELA, and JUAN JOSÉ RYP
Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

Not a dream... Not an alternate reality... This is the Valiant Universe of today...

The world has gone red and Valiant's leading legends – Bloodshot, X-O Manowar and Shadowman – now stand at the forefront of the global Soviet war machine! Meanwhile, the conspiracy-smashing duo of Archer & Armstrong find themselves condemned as enemies of the state and sentenced to life in the deadliest prison known to man.

Torn from the pages of DIVINITY III: STALINVERSE, come four essential tales chronicling the history that has reordered the Valiant Universe as we know it, from acclaimed writers Jeff Lemire (Bloodshot Reborn), Joe Harris (Snowfall), Scott Bryan Wilson (Batman Annual), Eliot Rahal (The Paybacks) and all-star artists Clayton Crain (4001 A.D.), CAFU (Rai), Robert Gill (Book of Death), and Francis Portela (Faith).

$14.99 | 112 pgs. | T+ On Sale JUNE 14th - Amazon

Kind of out of place if you don't know much about Divinity III, but the one-shots are fun for people that kind of have an inkling about the characters.

shingi70

Banned
Wait, I thought Ninjak was Ninja-K.

To elaborate a bit more, Ninjak is Ninja-K. The reason. The book is using the phrasing Ninja-K is because it's going to be less about Ninjack personally, but more about how he works with MI-6 and the Ninja Program as a whole.

XGdzFYN.jpg

yNQ8fFh.jpg

RAPTURE #2 (of 4)
Written by MATT KINDT
Art by CAFU

Might meets magic!

As Babel's dark forces in the Deadside rise, the afterlife's last chance at survival rests in the living's greatest champions. But to save heaven itself, MI-6 agent Colin King – aka Ninjak– must confront his greatest fears...and place his trusted steel against the fantastic and unknown powers of sorcery. With Punk Mambo, Tama the Geomancer, and the fallen hero Shadowman at his side, Ninjak will lead the supernatural's greatest champions into a suicide mission against beasts and barbarians...and the very gods themselves!

Valiant's epic standalone event enters is next spellbinding chapter as New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (X-O Manowar) and powerhouse artist CAFU (Rai) strike at the veil between life and death!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JUNE 21st

--

LI9U0Km.jpg

BRITANNIA: WE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE #3 (of 4)

Written by PETER MILLIGAN
Art by JUAN JOSÉ RYP

Wrath of the gods!

The women of Rome march to rebellion! Magic and mystery continue to intertwine as the clock ticks down to Rubria's final hours. Will Antonius Axia and his mysterious new partner—the brutal female gladiator known as Achillia—untangle the knots that threaten to hang the Roman Empire...or will Nero finally obtain the dark power he lusted for? As the beaten ghost of Apollo finally rises to cast his dark judgment on all of Rome, history's first detective must act swiftly before humanity's final hours slip into madness!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | VALIANT PRESTIGE | On Sale JUNE 21st

--

S4VtT6o.jpg

VALIANT HIGH
Written by DANIEL KIBBLESMITH
Art by DEREK CHARM

TEENAGERS TODAY... HEROES TOMORROW!

A unique entry-point that's perfect for new fans and longtime readers alike, Valiant High presents a hilarious reimagining of Valiant's award-winning superhero universe – one where the next world-ending cataclysm will have to wait until after prom night! Before they became legends, the world's most formidable heroes were roaming the halls at Valiant High – a super-powered preparatory academy where Aric "X-O Manowar" Dacia is a record-setting running back, Colin "Ninjak" King is a debonair foreign exchange student, and Coach Bloodshot is way, way too into dodgeball. Now, Amanda "Livewire" McKee and her best friend, Faith "Zephyr" Herbert, are taking it all in for the first time at the one high school where power trumps popularity! From The Late Show with Stephen Colbert writer Daniel Kibblesmith, artist Derek Charm (Jughead) and David Baron (BLOODSHOT REBORN), this highly anticipated comiXology Originals series takes Valiant's biggest and most beloved superheroes out of battle and into the greatest challenge of all: high school! Collecting VALIANT HIGH #1–4.

Part of the comiXology Originals line of exclusive digital content only available on comiXology and Kindle. This title is a part of comiXology Unlimited.

Comixology

XGdzFYN.jpg

Highlighted books are new reader friendly

HON4ef9.jpg

SECRET WEAPONS #1 (of 4)
Written by ERIC HEISSERER
Art by RAÚL ALLÉN with PATRICIA MARTIN

Eric Heisserer – the Academy Award-nominated screenwriter of ARRIVAL and Valiant’s upcoming HARBINGER and BLOODSHOT feature films – joins Harvey Award-nominated visionary Raúl Allén (Wrath of the Eternal Warrior) for an all-new Valiant Prestige-format adventure…launching Livewire and an extraordinary new team of heroes into the fight of their lives!

The government has dispatched Amanda McKee – the technopath codenamed Livewire – to investigate the ruins of a secret facility formerly run by Toyo Harada, the most powerful telepath on Earth and her former mentor. In his quest for world betterment at any cost, Harada sought out and activated many potential psiots like himself. Those who survived, but whose powers he deemed to have no value to his cause, were hidden away at this installation. But Livewire, having studied Harada’s greatest strengths and learned his deepest weaknesses, senses opportunity where he once saw failure. A young girl who can talk to birds… A boy who can make inanimate objects gently glow… To others, these are expensive disappointments. But, to Livewire, they are secret weapons…in need of a leader.

Now, as a mechanized killer called Rex-O seeks to draw them out, Livewire and her new team of cadets will be forced to put their powers into action…in ways they never could have imagined…

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | VALIANT PRESTIGE | T+ | On Sale JUNE 28th - Comixology

--

rE77trp.jpg

X-O MANOWAR (2017) #4 (ALL-NEW ARC! ALL-NEW JUMPING ON POINT! “GENERAL” – PART 1)
Written by MATT KINDT
Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE

ALL-NEW ARC! ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT! “GENERAL” – PART ONE!

In the fires of victory, a soldier becomes…a general. With the hostile Cadmium army crushed beneath his force’s boots, Aric of Dacia now commands an entire fleet into the final battle for the soul of an empire. But as a new dawn rises across this unrelenting alien world, what vicious new menace will come forth to greet it?

X-O Manowar’s path to domination darkens as blockbuster artist Doug Braithwaite (Armor Hunters) joins New York Times bestselling writer Matt Kindt (Divinity, Mind MGMT) for a perfect, planet-shaking entry point into Valiant’s biggest series yet!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | VALIANT PREMIUM | On Sale JUNE 28th - Comixology

--

wMhhTaG.jpg

X-O MANOWAR (2017) VOL. 1: SOLDIER TPB
Written by MATT KINDT
Art by TOMÁS GIORELLO
Cover by LEWIS LAROSA

War is coming!

Born under the oppressive thumb of the Roman Empire, Aric of Dacia learned warfare at an early age. It was amid such violence that he was abducted by an alien race. Forced into slavery, he survived where others perished. His escape would come from bonding with a weapon of immeasurable power: the X-O Manowar armor. With it, he returned to Earth... only to find himself stranded in the modern day.

But that was a lifetime ago.

Now, far from home on a strange and primitive new world, Aric has begun a new
life. Liberated from his past, he tends to his crops. Free from war. Free from violence. Free from the armor.

But the machinery of death marches his way once again. Conscripted into an alien army and thrown into an unforgiving conflict, the fury inside him finds voice as he is forced to embrace the armor once more. With it, he will decimate armies, topple empires and incite interplanetary warfare as he rises from SOLDIER to GENERAL to EMPEROR to VISIGOTH. They wanted a weapon. He will give them war!

Join master storytellers Matt Kindt (Divinity) and Tomás Giorello (Bloodshot Reborn) right here for a stunning new beginning for Valiant’s most enduring icon.

Collecting X-O MANOWAR (2017) #1–3 with more than 30 pages of rarely seen art and extras!

$9.99 US | 112 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JUNE 28th - Amazon - Comixology - Local Comic Book Store

I kind of asked this the other day on the comics thread but it was in a post talking about other things. After not being too taken with a couple of valiant things I've read before I read the first issue of secret weapons and thought it was pretty good.

So thinking about going back and reading some early Harbinger stuff. Looking at the reddit reading order on the first page the Valiant act one titles that I think I might be interested in are Harbinger, Bloodshot and possibly Archer and Armstrong. Don't really fancy XO, Eternal Warrior, Shadowman and Q & W.

So I guess my question is shall I read Bloodshot at this point so I get whats going on up to Harbinger wars or should I just leave it and try it at reborn when people seem to think it picks up?

Also it it worth getting the XO vol 2 for ninjak? Don't really fancy XO but think Ninjak might interest me more later on in the reading order.

Thanks Valiant Gaf

I kind of asked this the other day on the comics thread but it was in a post talking about other things. After not being too taken with a couple of valiant things I've read before I read the first issue of secret weapons and thought it was pretty good.

So thinking about going back and reading some early Harbinger stuff. Looking at the reddit reading order on the first page the Valiant act one titles that I think I might be interested in are Harbinger, Bloodshot and possibly Archer and Armstrong. Don't really fancy XO, Eternal Warrior, Shadowman and Q & W.

So I guess my question is shall I read Bloodshot at this point so I get whats going on up to Harbinger wars or should I just leave it and try it at reborn when people seem to think it picks up?

Also it it worth getting the XO vol 2 for ninjak? Don't really fancy XO but think Ninjak might interest me more later on in the reading order.

Thanks Valiant Gaf

To answer your first question, if you're really interested in reading that first Bloodshot series, it's a perfectly serviceable series; not much depth to it or much changes from beginning to end, and yeah, you would just read up to the third volume then sequence the issues for Harbinger Wars like in the OP. However, the first Bloodshot series is totally unnecessary and the Bloodshot tie-ins for Harbinger Wars aren't, either. I didn't read any Bloodshot my first time working through Harbinger and it was perfectly fine; there's just a little more context on Bloodshot's involvement, but it's hardly essential. I'd recommend just reading The Valiant then Bloodshot Reborn if you're interested in that character. It's a much better take on the character, they tell you exactly what Bloodshot is about in just a few pages, and you can come back to the original Bloodshot series if you really want to.

As for the Enter Ninjak (volume 2) arc of XO, that's also not really all that essential. I think the component that stands out from XO is that he has run-ins with a few characters and eventually it leads to the Unity/XO crossover. That's the most that can be gained from that. For a more condensed and direct Ninjak introduction, just read The Valiant and then the Ninjak series, followed by Rapture. If you want more, that's when I'd recommend reading the Enter Ninjak arc, then the Unity/XO crossover and continuing on with Unity. If you just want some out of context Ninjak stuff from Unity, though, volumes 2, 4, and 5 are the best for that.

Hope that helps!

Great thanks for the recommendations, I might just leave Bloodshot until reborn then.

I pretty much just want to catch up with all the Harada related stuff up until the The Valiant in continuity then maybe branch out from there to more of the seperate series.

So would that just be:

Harbinger
Harbinger Wars
Unity (Would reading this just mix me up in XO issues?)

Finally are Rai or Archer and Armstrong worth reading? These are the only two other two series that start before the Valiant in continuity that look interesting

Sorry for the question blitz, just thinking what stories might be good to read before The Valiant to cover any story history might be interested in

Great thanks for the recommendations, I might just leave Bloodshot until reborn then.

I pretty much just want to catch up with all the Harada related stuff up until the The Valiant in continuity then maybe branch out from there to more of the seperate series.

So would that just be:

Harbinger
Harbinger Wars
Unity (Would reading this just mix me up in XO issues?)

Finally are Rai or Archer and Armstrong worth reading? These are the only two other two series that start before the Valiant in continuity that look interesting

Sorry for the question blitz, just thinking what stories might be good to read before The Valiant to cover any story history might be interested in

Unity is much less essential in Harada's story because he isn't involved past the first arc. Imperium is where to go after you finish Harbinger for more of him.

Rai is great, but it takes some time to get going and it's one of those series you appreciate the build-up after getting to the climax. A lot of people aren't as keen on the earlier issues because of that, though, or got turned off. Archer & Armstrong is consistently amazing throughout.

Great, might try Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong from volume 1 then maybe try Unity if I'm liking things at that point. Those three will take things up to The Valiant if I'm still on board.

Seems like an interesting world with all the different genres and time periods/alternate realities.

XGdzFYN.jpg

8wswNlo.jpg

HARBINGER RENEGADE #5* (ALL-NEW ARC! ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT! “MASSACRE” – PART ONE)
Written by RAFER ROBERTS

Art by DARICK ROBERTSON
Cover A by DARICK ROBERTSON
Cover B by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
Cover C by CLAYTON CRAIN
Wraparound Variant Cover by MARC LAMING
B&W Sketch Variant by DARICK ROBERTSON
Gold Foil Linewide Variant by MONIKA PALOSZ

Harvey Award-nominated writer Rafer Roberts (Plastic Farm) and superstar artist Darick Robertson (The Boys, Transmetropolitan) begin THE ROAD TO HARBINGER WARS 2 – Valiant’s seismic 2018 event – right here with a bang that will reverberate throughout the entire Valiant Universe…and claim the life of a major hero!

Toyo Harada’s former protege – Alexander Solomon, a “psiot” with the ability to predict and analyze potential futures – has been waiting for this moment. With the Harbinger Renegades – Peter Stanchek, Faith, Kris Hathaway, and Torque – now reunited as a result of his covert manipulations, his ultimate gambit can now begin. But he’s not the only one who has been watching. Major Charlie Palmer has just re-assigned a new division of the militarized psiot hunters codenamed H.A.R.D. Corps to active duty…and they’re about to bring a torrent of blood and calamity roaring into the streets of a major American metropolis for an all-out firefight.

The Harbinger Renegades. Livewire. Alexander Solomon. Generation Zero. Toyo Harada. Secret Weapons. Imperium. None of them are safe...and, when the smoke clears, a pivotal Valiant hero will become the first sacrifice of the massive Harbinger War that is to come.

*All covers for HARBINGER RENEGADE #5 will ship with a special advisory overlay.

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JULY 12

--

JabucnE.jpg

NINJAK VOL. 6: THE SEVEN BLADES OF MASTER DARQUE TPB
Written by MATT KINDT with KEVIN MAURER
Art by STEPHEN SEGOVIA with MARC LAMING and CAFU
Cover by FELIPE MASSAFERA

Darque destinies!

Master Darque – the sadistic lord of death and resurrection – yearns to be free once again, but first he must fight for his life. Darque is a target, his powers are weak, and his enemies know it. Now, Darque’s own former pupil and Ninjak’s ruthless arch-nemesis – the lethal assassin known as Roku – has gathered the Shadow Seven together again for the sole purpose of putting Darque down for good. And the only thing holding their uneasy alliance together is a mysterious benefactor from the shadows... someone who also goes by the name Darque...Everything has led to this... Out of the ashes of BOOK OF DEATH, Ninjak and Master Darque will collide in a punishing circle of death, destruction and hellfire!

Join New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (Divinity III: Stalinverse) and blistering artists Marc Laming (Planet Hulk) and Stephen Segovia (Unity) here for a steel- hardened jumping-on point that will leave Valiant’s seven-time Harvey Award-nominated series forever scarred!

Collecting NINJAK #22–27.

$19.99 | 160 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JULY 12
TRADE PAPERBACK | ISBN: 978-1-68215-211-9

XGdzFYN.jpg

TURhyL0.jpg

SECRET WEAPONS #2 (of 4)
Written by ERIC HEISSERER
Art by RAÚL ALLÉN with PATRICIA MARTIN
Cover A by RAÚL ALLÉN
Cover B by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE
Variant Cover by ROBERTO DE LA TORRE
Variant Cover by BEN TEMPLESMITH

Fully charged!

Oscar-nominated screenwriter Eric Heisserer, writer of the international sensation Arrival, joins forces with Harvey Award-nominated artist Raúl Allén (Wrath of the Eternal Warrior) for the next electrifying chapter in Valiant’s latest prestige format epic!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | VALIANT PRESTIGE | On Sale JULY 19

--

y4aBeum.jpg

RAPTURE #3 (of 4)
Written by MATT KINDT
Art by CAFU
Cover A by MICO SUAYAN
Cover B by J.G. JONES
Character Design Variant by RYAN LEE
Variant Cover by FELIPE MASSAFERA
B&W Sketch Variant by MICO SUAYAN
Ninjak Vs. The Valiant Universe Variant Also Available

Beware the lords of the Deadside!

Ninjak and Shadowman have launched an all-out assault against Babel – the ancient being determined to breach heaven – on the dark and decaying battlefields of the Deadside. But are the combined might of sword and shadow enough to stop this biblical force of nature...or will they need the help of an ancient and weary warrior whose power transcends their understanding? And as oblivion inches ever closer to Earth, Tama the Geomancer and Punk Mambo must step out of the darkness and halt Babel’s forces from infiltrating the land of the living as Valiant’s Shadowman-driven standalone event fight on!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JULY 19

--

oO9NUgb.jpg

BRITANNIA: WE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE #4 (of 4)
Written by PETER MILLIGAN
Art by JUAN JOSÉ RYP
Cover A by DAVID MACK
Cover B by JUAN JOSÉ RYP
Variant Cover by LEIF JONES
Variant Cover by ADAM GORHAM
Variant Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

Death and the deity!

The horrifying truth behind Rome’s grisly string of murders has finally come to light... but will Antonius Axia and his mysterious new partner – the gladiator Achillia – be able to stomach it? It’s a race against the clock to stop a serial killer – who may very well be the vengeful spirit of Apollo himself — before it strikes again! But should Antonius and Achillia fail in their mission, they’ll condemn not only Rome…but those Antonius holds dear as well.

Visionary creators Peter Milligan (Shade, the Changing Man) and Juan José Ryp
(Britannia) bring the latest case for history’s first detective to a chilling close...and forever alter the history of civilization itself!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | VALIANT PRESTIGE | T+ | On Sale JULY 19

--

lmmX9SI.jpg

GENERATION ZERO VOL. 2: HEROSCAPE TPB
Written by FRED VAN LENTE
Art by DIEGO BERNARD with JAVIER PULIDO
Cover by JUAN JOSÉ RYP

Zeros to heroes!

Generation Zero managed to survive their first mission, and now duty has called on them to venture deep inside a perilous dimension only known as the Heroscape to see the world through a new set of eyes! They’ll discover their friends’ biggest secrets, their enemies’ darkest fears, and their town’s sinister connection to this imagination-fueled reality. But just because the Heroscape is imaginary, doesn’t mean it can’t kill you... And, from anime-inflected zombie hordes to psychedelic sci-fi warriors, all of Rook, Michigan’s most deeply buried fantasies are about to come roaring out of your daydreams!

Dream big because New York Times best-selling writer Fred Van Lente (Ivar, Timewalker) and acclaimed artists Javier Pulido (Daredevil) and Diego Bernard (X-O Manowar) are gearing up to send Valiant’s temperamental teenage time-bombs blasting out of the suburbs and into their most grisly adventure yet!

Collecting GENERATION ZERO #6–9.

$14.99 | 112 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JULY 19
TRADE PAPERBACK | ISBN: 978-1-68215-209-6

Credit for solicitations to Valiant.

WarRock

This thread is relevant to my interests!

In the 90s I always wanted to read X-O but never found the comic to buy (don't think it was licensed in my country like the big two?). Last year I had the chance to read Unity/Ninjak/X-O until the Armor Hunters end and really enjoyed it, Valiant surprised me in the best way. Some great covers and graphic design and consistent art too. Still need to find resources to go down the Bloodshot and Dr. Mirage rabbit holes, since the former was fucking amazing during Armor Hunters and the latter just looks and sounds very interesting.

The Ninjak vs Valiant Universe teaser also looks very much like my thing.

God damn, I read that little preview of Bloodshot Salvation at the end of Rapture this week. Wow. I've never really been interested in Bloodshot but this looks rad.

This thread is relevant to my interests!

In the 90s I always wanted to read X-O but never found the comic to buy (don't think it was licensed in my country like the big two?). Last year I had the chance to read Unity/Ninjak/X-O until the Armor Hunters end and really enjoyed it, Valiant surprised me in the best way. Some great covers and graphic design and consistent art too. Still need to find resources to go down the Bloodshot and Dr. Mirage rabbit holes, since the former was fucking amazing during Armor Hunters and the latter just looks and sounds very interesting.

The Ninjak vs Valiant Universe teaser also looks very much like my thing.

Glad you're enjoying. Comixology Unlimited has some of those series, if you do digital.

God damn, I read that little preview of Bloodshot Salvation at the end of Rapture this week. Wow. I've never really been interested in Bloodshot but this looks rad.

Lemire's Bloodshot is the business, for sure.

Nice thread, Launch :)

Read the first issue of Generation Zero. Liked it. Not quite as good as Runaways or Young Avengers (yet) but was a decent beginning. I can't say 'no' to a teenage team hero book, apparently.

Nice thread, Launch :)

Read the first issue of Generation Zero. Liked it. Not quite as good as Runaways or Young Avengers (yet) but was a decent beginning. I can't say 'no' to a teenage team hero book, apparently.

Yeah, def not better overall than either of those. It's got some interesting ideas, especially in that second volume, but I think the existence of the group has a good payoff for the universe as a whole.

If you're interested in a better teenage team book, Harbinger is that and more.

After kind recommendations on here before I got stuck in with Harbinger vol1 and Archer & Armstrong vol 1 and after not being too struck on what I read before with Dr Mirage and a few single issues of XO this what definitely more up my street.

Really enjoyed both, think out of the two Harbinger was the one I prefered but will try the second volumes of both.

Harbinger was just the classic superhero school set up but a bit grittier. Reminded me of classic stormwatch/authority in the best possible way with it being the classic superhero style just a bit darker. Also lets face it
a bleeding monk who tells the future is just pretty cool ha

Archer and Armstrong was good but I think it needs to focus more on the relationship between the two and the historys of them both of them rather than the travelling around the world solving clues bit. Thought that was the weak part really. Did like the world building though with I'm guessing Armstrongs brothers
going to be Ivar time walker and eternal warrior

After kind recommendations on here before I got stuck in with Harbinger vol1 and Archer & Armstrong vol 1 and after not being too struck on what I read before with Dr Mirage and a few single issues of XO this what definitely more up my street.

Really enjoyed both, think out of the two Harbinger was the one I prefered but will try the second volumes of both.

Harbinger was just the classic superhero school set up but a bit grittier. Reminded me of classic stormwatch/authority in the best possible way with it being the classic superhero style just a bit darker. Also lets face it
a bleeding monk who tells the future is just pretty cool ha

Archer and Armstrong was good but I think it needs to focus more on the relationship between the two and the historys of them both of them rather than the travelling around the world solving clues bit. Thought that was the weak part really. Did like the world building though with I'm guessing Armstrongs brothers
going to be Ivar time walker and eternal warrior

I think you'll be happy to learn both of those get progressively better as they continue. Harbinger is definitely one of a kind in the way it portrays it's characters as having realistic motivations and flaws. Archer & Armstrong definitely focuses a lot more on that relationship between the two characters, but I actually love the conspiracy-busting plot; it's weirder and goofier than I'd ever expect. There are are some focuses that go into even weirder territory, but I'll leave that for you to discover. And yes, you're right about that spoiled comment.

I think you'll be happy to learn both of those get progressively better as they continue. Harbinger is definitely one of a kind in the way it portrays it's characters as having realistic motivations and flaws. Archer & Armstrong definitely focuses a lot more on that relationship between the two characters, but I actually love the conspiracy-busting plot; it's weirder and goofier than I'd ever expect. There are are some focuses that go into even weirder territory, but I'll leave that for you to discover. And yes, you're right about that spoiled comment.

I think the conspiracy busting bit was the bit I wasn't too struck on, the mysterys they were solving and clues they were looking for just seemed a bit lazy and tagged on. I kinda just wanted more of the mythology of Armstrongs past and Archers relationship with his family and his gf.

I think the conspiracy busting bit was the bit I wasn't too struck on, the mysterys they were solving and clues they were looking for just seemed a bit lazy and tagged on. I kinda just wanted more of the mythology of Armstrongs past and Archers relationship with his family and his gf.

Oh, I'd forgotten about the mysteries and clues. That doesn't really play into what happens later; I was just talking about the groups they run into. Also, yes, there's an arc devoted to each of those things you mentioned.

Oh, I'd forgotten about the mysteries and clues. That doesn't really play into what happens later; I was just talking about the groups they run into. Also, yes, there's an arc devoted to each of those things you mentioned.

Cool I'll deffo stick with it for the next volumes then. I've heard Ivars quite good and interests me more than eternal warrior so be good to get some set up if I end up reading that later.

XGdzFYN.jpg

ofWWnhb.jpg

FAITH AND THE FUTURE FORCE #1 (of 4)
Written by JODY HOUSER
Art by STEPHEN SEGOVIA and BARRY KITSON
Cover A by JELENA KEVIC-DJURDJEVIC
Cover B by KANO
Variant Cover by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE
Variant Cover by FELIPE MASSAFERA

A SPECTACULAR SUMMER EVENT! This summer, every second counts when acclaimed writer Jody Houser (Mother Panic, Star Wars: Rogue One), explosive artist Stephen Segovia (Ninjak, Action Comics), comics legend Barry Kitson (Fantastic Four), and special surprise guests push Faith into a centuries-spanning fight for existence alongside the greatest heroes of the Valiant Universe…past, present, and future!

Faith “Zephyr” Herbert – former member of Unity, current Harbinger Renegade, and Los Angeles’ #1 superhero – is the universe’s last, best chance at survival! Centuries from today, a devious artificial intelligence has unleashed a blistering attack on the very foundations of time…one that is unwriting history from beginning to end! Now, with her options exhausted, Neela Sethi, Timewalker – the self-appointed protector of what is and will be – has returned to the 21st century to recruit Earth’s greatest champions of today and tomorrow to oppose this existential threat…and she needs Faith to lead them! But why Faith? And why now?

This July, fly to the farthest edges of the future in a death-defying race to save time itself, as Faith leads the charge alongside Valiant’s greatest heroes…and becomes a new legend for the ages!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JULY 26

--

cSiEDUo.jpg

X-O MANOWAR (2017) #5
Written by MATT KINDT
Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE
Cover A by LEWIS LAROSA
Cover B by DAVE JOHNSON
Interlocking Variant Cover by RYAN BODENHEIM
X-O Manowar Icon Variant by NEAL ADAMS

Cosmic coup d’état!

New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (Divinity, Dept. H) and blockbuster artist Doug Braithwaite (Bloodshot U.S.A.) send X-O Manowar charging into a visceral new battle as “GENERAL” continues to transform Valiant’s master warrior!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | VALIANT PREMIUM | On Sale JULY 26

Credit for solicitations to Valiant.

jph139

XO #5

WAT, did he and blue waifu break up or something?

I think between him leaving for battle and becoming part of the war machine that she hates, and his weird creepy armor lurking around telling her all of his shitty backstory,
she's sort of soured on him a bit. She'll come around. Or get killed. Or something.

Caught up with Harbinger volume 2 and its still pretty good. Is it bad that between reading volume 1 and the week or so between when I read volume 2 I'd totally forgotten who project rising spirit and that guy who works for them were ha. Signs of old age I guess.

The new characters were pretty fun, I think it can be a little risky when doing characters like Flamingo where you're trying to write them as more confident and sexually liberated to avoid making them a bit sleazy and exploitative, but think there just managing it so far. Also Torque seems pretty fun, be interesting to see more of him. Seems a bit sad they just took
out his family in the space of a bout one issue though, seems like there was more story to be told there.

Top Bottom