• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valheim |OT| Explore, Build, Conquer, Craft, Survive, Cooperate (Added to GamePass 14/03)

SCB3

So uh, i bought the game even if i hate the genre :lollipop_grinning_sweat: , it's in download right now, can someone explain to me what cohh is doing here? he switch between the axe and the hammer and he build a crafting station and i don't understand why or the logic behind that...

can someone gives me some beginner advices (mostly about crafting and building an house), and when i say beginner, i mean the slow kid who never played a survival in his life (and play with a controller no lessđź•ş).

Do i need a big house? do enemies attack my house constantly and i need like a fucking castle with barricades, hot oil and all the shit? or i can just play the game as a janky souls open world game with the smaller and simpler house in the neighboor?!
I really REALLY don't care about building houses or anything more complicated than a bed and a forge for weapons (if i even need one), i even like sleeping outside in real life:lollipop_squinting:

thanks in advance fellows vikings, may odin offer you protection and safe sex in these crazy times.

You can dismantle things quicker with the building hammer rather than destroying them with the Axe, something I didn't know when destroying and rebuilding my first house

GymWolf

You can dismantle things quicker with the building hammer rather than destroying them with the Axe, something I didn't know when destroying and rebuilding my first house
ok but why does he place a crafting station near the dismantle operation?!

So I don't know if this is a glitch or what, but I summoned the deer boss and after I died, I respawned with nothing and he started fighting me again. Every time I died he would respawn right inside my house and kill me again. I had to start a new game.

Repo Man

So I don't know if this is a glitch or what, but I summoned the deer boss and after I died, I respawned with nothing and he started fighting me again. Every time I died he would respawn right inside my house and kill me again. I had to start a new game.

Sounds like a bug, assuming that your base/spawn wasn't in close proximity to the boss area ?

I'm yet to encounter any bugs myself ( knock on core wood ) aside for a few desync glitches in my coop sessions.

martino

Any other advice for stuff that is not exactly logical for a guy who never played a survival?!
There is the the need to cover crafting station / bed etc ... to use them
It's important to link to a bed to control where to re-pop when you die.
Humidity / Cold reduce regens (fire help for both).
You can sleep to skip the night (and the cold and the more important number of foes) .
Those are the more important basic stuff in this game from top of my head.

GymWolf

There is the the need to cover crafting station / bed etc ... to use them
It's important to link to a bed to control where to re-pop when you die.
Humidity / Cold reduce regens (fire help for both).
You can sleep to skip the night (and the cold and the more important number of foes) .
Those are the more important basic stuff in this game from top of my head.
I'm sorry, link to a bed?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah i get that, is the link part that i dont understand, do i need to do more than just crafting a bed to set a spawn point?!
I never really tried.. i always found an old house and repaired it then added bed.

be sure to not dump your campfire in the middle of your house just like that
Make a chimney

Last edited:

GymWolf

I never really tried.. i always found an old house and repaired it then added bed.

Make a chimney
Oh so you can find already builded houses to use?! Nice, so i don't have to build nothing.

martino

Make a chimney
Yep forgot about the chimney. it's important. You can die from suffocation if the smoke is not correctly evacuated.

Spukc

as in more tip i would advise you to really discover it yourself.
one extra tip i wish i had tho was.

make sure to look at different tree types and try to harvest them!

and

don't wait to long killing the first boss

Last edited:

GymWolf

as in more tip i would advise you to really discover it yourself.
one extra tip i wish i had tho was.

make sure to look at different tree types and try to harvest them!

and

don't wait to long killing the first boss
Why? Does he become more strong with time?!

Kenpachii

Anyway.

Played it for a few days more.

f92ec3118d6cd21688497159f0891c87.png

with 1 buddy and another guy jumping in sometimes to busy with work so there's that.

I currently advanced towards beating 4 of the 5 bosses, got 4 of the 5 area's done now and in the last area. Crafting goes well and building etc also goes very well.

The main complains so far i have about the game.

- Dedicated server problems, always something that u need to do to keep the game going. Its under heavy development so to be expected.
- My buddy has a incredible shitty internet connection, that dc's multiple times a day and frankly the weirdest things happen whenever his internet starts to shit the brick. boats explodes randomly in the sea, chests he put loot in dissapear, his corpse not respawning all kinds of nasty stuff to the point today we hitted a point where he lost all the stuff again that he had, grinded our eye balls out for it and basically we cheated in the game to summon the parts back again offline. Couldn't deal with refarming everything all over again. They really need to create some soft of protection for this, its terrible as of now. If you got a good connection tho this issue is a non issue so yea there is that.
- Boat is a pain, it randomly damages no matter what u do, sometimes explodes in the sea for no reason and if you die on the other side of the planet u are pretty much GG. I wish they had somekind of spawn button so u could summon the boat back or when u die outside of a x range u just spam in the map somewhere if u just slam down a spawn building or something at the start where u leave, or make it on your boat.
- transportation and upgrades for forge are a problem which could make the game extremely grindy for example at points. For example: silver mining on a mountain that is higher then the clouds but gotta bring it down, yea not a good idea. takes forever to the point i just threw my cart of the cliff and prayed that it would work out. I wish the forge and workbank u could upgrade and make a fully upgraded version permanently instead of having to rebuild everything all over again on a farm spot where u probably not going to be for very long.
- map is to big for 2 players with 1 only playing half the time. Exploring takes absolutely forever to the point if something in the game doesn't spawn next to your area of exploration u will probably never find it no matter how hard u try.
- some upgrades seem to be available but actually are not, but that's just early access for now.
- sometimes u feel burned by spending a lot of time on upgrades in certain ages when a hour later after u are done better gear is available for far less effort, they need to make gear in some ages stay longer valid really. It really burns you out a bit specially if you go in blind.
- portals could use some improvements, making 30 portals in your base is getting annoying rather quick, would be nice to have 1 portal with a list of buttons u can click on to connect to outside portals that u placed.

The goods:
- Absolute stunning game, no matter what people think about it. the game is a looker it looks absolutely amazing.

The tree's are actually moving with the wind so is the grass, if the wind goes up so does there movement in the direction it goes. The clouds same thing, the fog the smoke, the lightning everything is extremely well done on this front and most games could take this into account. It really pushes this game visually to the next level versus other games even while the textures and models are simplistic. They basically prioritized the right visuals.

( me waiting for my buddy on the other side to clear trolls down this hill so i can corpse camp behind those tree's, then pass water and another field to get my stuff back :p )
8480004b3b7ef1ca56063e9e30cddf71.gif

( Farming iron for our armor upgrades and weapon upgrades, waiting outside to protect the cart that is full of iron ).

3c02483d88fd37713638f9430e46a6b4.jpg

( Sadly its a picture, its something else to see all those tree's move the leafs fly through the air and wind changing directions + clouds moving through it.)

05059f5a2bb9da6215434be9d00df8d3.jpg

Reminded me of zelda breath of the wild screenshot, however everything here moves even tree's individually and leafs.

d7d5c6d4f60622362952329a753ccbe7.jpg

This mountain was so insanely high, the high point was actually above the clouds itself. Yes the sky and the top layer of clouds? yea there are mountains that go over it lol.

e003da9c83f05ececa821d14cf47d4cb.jpg

Gif form daylight with mist, its bizarre how high it is.

2af7328a49c858d362022bd2da5b1892.gif

What can i say the game is a looker, also got destroyed by a wolf 5 seconds later rofl.

ae5b59347ca2c48a115dae51303fb3e7.jpg

Bosses are absolutely fantastic done, not to hard but also u gotta be prepared, we did the first boss with 2 people and it was kinda easy but to be expected, the second boss with 3 people took a while but was doable, 3rd boss with 2 people failed miserable, went back the day after even better prepared and we got him down, 4th boss was kinda buggy but dam he hits hard. 1 shot us multiple times but we got him down also, if his ai gets fixed its going to be a nightmare to face.

Its interesting every boss loot what u get for power and what u get for something extra's out of them that is useful for the next area, with the 4th boss it opened up a whole lot of new stuff again and the same goes for 3rd boss. It's very well done and the bosses are unique and well done. Only the AI needs some tuning that's for sure.

Just got out of iron age, moved into the next silver one and now moved towards probably the last age but still early in at this point. So farming until we got all our gear and upgrades ready. I must say plains is no joke even if u are well prepared, we got overconfident and the moment we dropped our guard we got 2 shot and this ( picture below ) was basically us trying to get back to our corpse, because swamp right next towards us = leeches / mosquito and goblins are no joke.

( this gif also works really well for trying to figure out how to slam everything into your base and still make it tight when a upgrade lands ).

giphy.gif

We still have a lot of fun to the point we skip a lot of sleep just to play a bit more and that after 122 hours for a 17 buck game is just amazing. Only 20 hours left and i sit pretty much on the same time frame as ac valhalla and we are nowhere near done with exploring yet, it almost feels like we are just starting really. The upgrades, the new items keeps the game fresh and interesting as there is always something u can go for and frankly with the tons of food and other things to do its a great time and not a minute of boredom as u decide your own pace really.

After playing this game, u honestly start to wonder where gaming has started to shit the brick, the simplicity of the game, lightning, the smoke / clouds / wind is really where last gen should have moved towards but we moved to more static looking environment that are dead and dull for the sake of a higher polygonal face.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how long this game can stay entertaining when there is nothing for us to upgrade anymore and we got pretty much the main content done, i think the game will be a borefest really quick at that point, but i do think we will get a good 10-20 hours of out it yet, we will see tho. Will make a update once i beated it.

Edit

Just made another picture while we where hunting goblins, the lightning wind everything is so good in this game. Also 500mb game size by the way lol.

15a050409f73d89dcb8ce8087b8fcbf6.gif

Last edited:

Spukc

Kenpachii Kenpachii

this game reminds me soo much of BOTW.
you really create your own stories.

it was a much needed refreshment for games to me.
i was getting bored out of my skull with modern shit tripple A games

this game will be huge in the future

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Any other advice for stuff that is not exactly logical for a guy who never played a survival?!
Lots of good stuff on YT that I linked in the OP. IGN and others as well have great tips & tricks up on YT. We're always here for you too.

Best advice really is just to explore the mechanics of the game. Report back if you get stuck. Worst case, I can link up with you to help you get settled.

Last edited:

martino

Kenpachii Kenpachii

this game reminds me soo much of BOTW.
you really create your own stories.

it was a much needed refreshment for games to me.
i was getting bored out of my skull with modern shit tripple A games

this game will be huge in the future
tbh it took good amount of thing from it and use them well imo
the procedural is huge plus.
i would love to see NMS kind of support and growth in functionality (with all the money they made)

Last edited:

Repo Man

So I seem to have developed 2 weird OCD's when I play this game...

1. When I'm cutting down trees for wood, I tend to cut down the small "saplings" first and after that I'm very selective of which trees get the chop as I want to try and maintain a good aesthetic around my base. Selective cutting leaves me with nice, open, easy to navigate forests that I can treat as hunting grounds and it looks cool. I recommend trying it instead of levelling everything unless that's your thing.

2. ROADS!!!!... I love building roads everywhere, especially if its the black forest and I got lots of tin/copper nearby. I spotted a trick on reddit when the game launched that lets you create smooth('ish) gradients that will make it easy to manouvre with the cart and stop it from taking damage at dips and bumps. You point your camera down so you're looking at your character directly from the above, then strafe with A or D towards your heading while spamming the levelling tool of the Hoe and it automatically creates smoother pathways as you go along ( may need to repeat it a few times over steeper parts of the terrain ). To make it easier you can first use the Hoe's pathing tool to lay down a crude, guide version of the road you want to make and then use the levelling technique over that path. I sometimes also like to decorate my roads with sign posts if they split to other directions.

Last edited:

martino

1. When I'm cutting down trees for wood, I tend to cut down the small "saplings" first and after that I'm very selective of which trees get the chop as I want to try and maintain a good aesthetic around my base. Selective cutting leaves me with nice, open, easy to navigate forests that I can treat as hunting grounds and it looks cool. I recommend trying it instead of levelling everything unless that's your thing.

2. ROADS!!!!... I love building roads everywhere, especially if its the black forest and I got lots of tin/copper nearby. I spotted a trick on reddit when the game launched that lets you create smooth('ish) gradients that will make it easy to manouvre with the cart and stop it from taking damage at dips and bumps. You point your camera down so you're looking at your character directly from the above, then strafe with A or D towards your heading while spamming the levelling tool of the Hoe and it automatically creates smoother pathways as you go along ( may need to repeat it a few times over steeper parts of the terrain ). To make it easier you can first use the Hoe's pathing tool to lay down a crude, guide version of the road you want to make and then use the levelling technique over that path. I sometimes also like to decorate my roads with sign posts if they split to other directions.
giphy.gif

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I should use the road function. I keep forgetting about it.

SCB3

Ok, after my escapades in the Burial Chambers, I changed tacts and refocussed:

• First I built a boat and sailed around to the east, just to see what was there, more Meadows and a weird Moutain scene
  • Got more into mining, I found 4 Copper deposits near each other, just inside the Black Forest, mined so much copper
  • then, I needed Tin, well this took me a lot longer, but I got quite a bit home

This led me to a new forge, smelting and crafting all-new Bronze stuff! Which allowed me to find Fine Wood to make better furniture and more importantly the extra Tin allowed me to make a Cauldron and a Portal, this will be useful later and can now make Potions. I also found 2 Queen Bees, so Honey is now a regular resource

With some new stuff I went back into the Burial Chamber and found more Sulter Cubes and a Rune that leads me to the Elder Boss, so thats maybe my next adventure, along with a Troll kill

As an aside, this game is gorgeous at times:

4cAxyCC.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's really weird how quickly you can beat the game after finally getting over "the hump" with the Swamp and getting the next level of armor in the Mountains.

I think the biomes are completely out of order in terms of difficulty. It should go meadows > black forest > plains > mountains > swamp and then tune the health and damage of the monsters accordingly.

Like can you imagine if the hardest enemies were in the Swamp where absolutely everything is trying to kill you or poison you or get your drowned or set you on fire or maybe all of the above all the time?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
It's really weird how quickly you can beat the game after finally getting over "the hump" with the Swamp and getting the next level of armor in the Mountains.

I think the biomes are completely out of order in terms of difficulty. It should go meadows > black forest > plains > mountains > swamp and then tune the health and damage of the monsters accordingly.

Like can you imagine if the hardest enemies were in the Swamp where absolutely everything is trying to kill you or poison you or get your drowned or set you on fire or maybe all of the above all the time?
Only half of the game is there right now. You technically are not finishing it, just getting to the current end point which would be mid game in their finished product.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ok, after my escapades in the Burial Chambers, I changed tacts and refocussed:

• First I built a boat and sailed around to the east, just to see what was there, more Meadows and a weird Moutain scene
  • Got more into mining, I found 4 Copper deposits near each other, just inside the Black Forest, mined so much copper
  • then, I needed Tin, well this took me a lot longer, but I got quite a bit home

This led me to a new forge, smelting and crafting all-new Bronze stuff! Which allowed me to find Fine Wood to make better furniture and more importantly the extra Tin allowed me to make a Cauldron and a Portal, this will be useful later and can now make Potions. I also found 2 Queen Bees, so Honey is now a regular resource

With some new stuff I went back into the Burial Chamber and found more Sulter Cubes and a Rune that leads me to the Elder Boss, so thats maybe my next adventure, along with a Troll kill

As an aside, this game is gorgeous at times:

4cAxyCC.jpg
I just started making a path to my copper mine. With the cart it’s become incredibly easy to mine a ton of copper.

Repo Man

I wish I could, but I have to travel over 2 Rivers, I guess I could make a bridge or move my shack

Just build Shack 2.0 as close to your copper as possible without building into the actual black forest biome ( you can build into the black forest too but it can be a bit hairy early on ). You could also just abandon Shack 1.0 unless it's in a great spot for your needs or it has lots of sentimental value, if you keep it you can always connect the 2 with teleporters a little bit later on if you haven't got them unlocked. As for the rivers, you could use the hoe to raise the ground to make a crossing but if its a deep and wide river it might be easier ( and more fun! ) to just whack down some bridges.

I got pretty lucky yesterday and found a nice open spot on a hill in the meadows biome, directly overlooking the swamp to one side and black forest to the other with a short trip to the coast for ferrying over my irons back to my main base. After some initial scares and a few deaths, I'm finding the crypts in the swamp quite easy to clear solo as long as I prep a little bit. Can't wait to start building a proper stone keep!

SCB3

Just build Shack 2.0 as close to your copper as possible without building into the actual black forest biome ( you can build into the black forest too but it can be a bit hairy early on ). You could also just abandon Shack 1.0 unless it's in a great spot for your needs or it has lots of sentimental value, if you keep it you can always connect the 2 with teleporters a little bit later on if you haven't got them unlocked. As for the rivers, you could use the hoe to raise the ground to make a crossing but if its a deep and wide river it might be easier ( and more fun! ) to just whack down some bridges.

I got pretty lucky yesterday and found a nice open spot on a hill in the meadows biome, directly overlooking the swamp to one side and black forest to the other with a short trip to the coast for ferrying over my irons back to my main base. After some initial scares and a few deaths, I'm finding the crypts in the swamp quite easy to clear solo as long as I prep a little bit. Can't wait to start building a proper stone keep!
Thanks, but where my Shack is now is kinda good as it's pretty centrel of 4 biomes that I've found and it's close to the Ocean, though my fucking Raft is gone now, but I have the ability for fine wood now, so a new boat is possible

But first, I have an Elder to slay

Repo Man

Thanks, but where my Shack is now is kinda good as it's pretty centrel of 4 biomes that I've found and it's close to the Ocean, though my fucking Raft is gone now, but I have the ability for fine wood now, so a new boat is possible

But first, I have an Elder to slay

If your raft/boat fucks off on its own when you turn your back, apparently if you reverse it in it stays in place though I haven't tested this yet as I just made a crude dock for my raft back when I was using it and used 2x wooden gates to keep the raft in. Have made a boat house since then for the Karve.

dyergram

This is the first pc game I’ve played in ages runs ok ish on my old as shit set up. I really like it so far playing solo just finished my first house rebuilding a new one around it bit by bit.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If your raft/boat fucks off on its own when you turn your back, apparently if you reverse it in it stays in place though I haven't tested this yet as I just made a crude dock for my raft back when I was using it and used 2x wooden gates to keep the raft in. Have made a boat house since then for the Karve.

I made a docking area with doors that close to prevent it from being taken out with the tide/waves.

Sounds like a bug, assuming that your base/spawn wasn't in close proximity to the boss area ?

I'm yet to encounter any bugs myself ( knock on core wood ) aside for a few desync glitches in my coop sessions.
I feel like it was too close. I started a new character and stumbled upon the same settlement and lol he was still there tearing it up.

Started a new world last night. The generated open world is very fascinating. Well done!

SCB3

I'm nearing 90h now i still have lot of craft to find and be ready for the last biome.
What is sure is this game is for people patient and liking grind (also long trips :D)

I don't like grinding stuff and yet I like it here, it's relaxing, I mean outside of Destiny, Warframe, Avengers and soon outriders....

Fuck maybe I do like to grind

Top Bottom