• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valheim Is 6 Months Timed Xbox Console Exclusive, Will Come To PlayStation Later

Topher

Gold Member
This is fun some people want it both wants it both ways. Scale counts for acquisitions but not for money hats. The abk is on a different scale but valhiem is equal to a ff game or other SE or zenimax games.

Actually for some of us consolidation in the gaming industry across the board is a bad thing. What about you? How does scale factor into both scenarios for you?

JaksGhost

So were we not discussing Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo releases hitting Game Pass a year after it's PS exclusivity due to the contract lengths being visible in the trailers? What about Final Fantasy XVI being a 6 month exclusive? Forspoken for 2 years? Silent Hill being a one-year exclusive? Final Fantasy VII Remake ending in a year? What about Hogwarts and it's exclusive PlayStation content ending on Feb 10th, 2024? There are a number of topics on this forum generated from just screenshots of exclusivity lengths in PlayStation trailers.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Actually for some of us consolidation in the gaming industry across the board is a bad thing. What about you? How does scale factor into both scenarios for you?
Its either both count or nether count. Personally the best outcome is no abk deal but the end of money hats of major studios. But if Sony wants to accelerate money hats then Microsoft has the right to secure content in a way that makes business sense.

So were we not discussing Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo releases hitting Game Pass a year after it's PS exclusivity due to the contract lengths being visible in the trailers? What about Final Fantasy XVI being a 6 month exclusive? Forspoken for 2 years? Silent Hill being a one-year exclusive? Final Fantasy VII Remake ending in a year? What about Hogwarts and it's exclusive PlayStation content ending on Feb 10th, 2024? There are a number of topics on this forum generated from just screenshots of exclusivity lengths in PlayStation trailers.
There's also some they don't announce. And some of them go further than 1 year.

Topher

Gold Member
Its either both count or nether count. Personally the best outcome is no abk deal but the end of money hats of major studios. But if Sony wants to accelerate money hats then Microsoft has the right to secure content in a way that makes business sense.

I agree. I think it doesn't matter either way. If it is a bad practice then it is a bad practice. Nothing would make me happier than the cessation of money hatting exclusivity and this seemingly never-ending cycle of consolidation.

NonPhixion

There's also some they don't announce. And some of them go further than 1 year.
509b4e4590e552821b40e84697c4d5ed.gif

I agree. I think it doesn't matter either way. If it is a bad practice then it is a bad practice. Nothing would make me happier than the cessation of money hatting exclusivity and this seemingly never-ending cycle of consolidation.
I hear gamers complain about consolidation but developers seem to appreciate having a larger company to be under so they don't have the same financial pressures. Companies like Bungie and Obsidian were happy to be purchased and spoke to additional creative freedom being part of a larger organization. Have you heard any actual game makers complain about being bought or consolidation in general.

More to the topic all companies get timed exclusives. MS tends to do so for smaller titles that haven't had lots of exposure on other platforms. It's a little different when a game like Final Fantasy or Street Fighter gets locked down. In the end business is business and no laws are broken when it happens.

This exclusivity shit is getting tiring. Games and their audiences shouldn't be sacrificed/split up for the survival of consoles.
I understand what you mean, but I suppose these companies do this because they try to give consumers reasons to buy their consoles over the competition. To be honest, the competing consoles are almost identical to each other excluding a handful of exclusives.

JaksGhost

You can figure it out if you want. Try googling "playstion timed exclusives PS5." Teachers usually get paid for their class time.
I don't have to figure shit out since I'm not the one trying to make a counter-argument on "trust me bro" while I'm providing facts.

Last edited:
I hear gamers complain about consolidation but developers seem to appreciate having a larger company to be under so they don't have the same financial pressures. Companies like Bungie and Obsidian were happy to be purchased and spoke to additional creative freedom being part of a larger organization. Have you heard any actual game makers complain about being bought or consolidation in general.

More to the topic all companies get timed exclusives. MS tends to do so for smaller titles that haven't had lots of exposure on other platforms. It's a little different when a game like Final Fantasy or Street Fighter gets locked down. In the end business is business and no laws are broken when it happens.
TLDR - If Microsoft does it, it's good. If Sony does it, it's bad.

I don't have to figure shit out since I'm not the one trying to make a counter-argument on "trust me bro" while I'm providing facts.
Then believe what you want. I dont have time at the moment to debate you. You can Google it if you're actually interested. Im at the gym lol. With all the details in your last post it should be trivially easy for you to find out.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Then believe what you want. I dont have time at the moment to debate you. You can Google it if you're actually interested. Im at the gym lol. With all the details in your last post it should trivially be easy for you to find out.
Your at the gym but have been responding back to me for the last hour or so... funny. Either prove your point with facts or just shut up. You directing me to Google to try and disprove the point I'm making is stupid.

Last edited:

Beechos

What kind of game is this I downloaded saw the crappy character creation screen and said nah. It looked like 360 quality the player model.

For all the "but Xbox does this too" people, I think this is just as dumb and a waste of money as when Sony does it. This doesn't actually help Xbox consumers. Timed Exclusive 3rd party content is always dumb unless the 1st party actually contributed something of note (i.e. not just a payment or marketing, but actually helped with the development in some way

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Valheim devs can't even talk about a PlayStation version.

Then people suddenly forget that Xbox also regularly does timed-exclusivity deals -- sometimes even more aggressively than PlayStation.

This is a stark reminder that both companies do timed-exclusivity contracts. And this is not in any way an excuse to buy multiplatform publishers. And that the following statements from executives are just PR brownie points and should be treated as such.

Tq4IxsM.jpg

lN0QSUY.jpg
Or maybe they actually don't have plans to put it on PS at this time.

It's not that anyone has a problem with the deals it's just that one company has publicly said they were bad

And that company also said “they’re bad but we have to do them”. Yet for some reason people still act like it’s this “SEE??? LIAR!!!” moment any time a MS exclusive deal is revealed/confirmed. Bizarre.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
This game is like $10 on steam or less ($4.50 in my region) and can be played on a potato, who cares if it's exclusive on xbox for 6 months?

sainraja

So, what do Microsoft do then to compete and improve their service?

Exclusives are horrible, I think we all agree on that, People should be able to play where they want....What do MS do to get gamers to buy an Xbox or sign up to Game pass when their biggest rival is doing these deals?

It sucks, but what do they do?

Valheim is like two years old at this point?
What point are you trying to make in defense of Microsoft here?
You know, they are trying to do BOTH, they are buying publishers (1 is ✅, while the other is ⏳ pending) + making exclusivity deals.

They aren't just buying small-time publishers here. So, if people are saying they should just continue to do those (exclusivity deals) vs. buying big publishers, they simply mean that BUT, again, MS isn't doing just that, they are doing BOTH. I don't know how/why you think the other hasn't already taken place once with the second in a paused state at the moment.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

Maybe SE just doesn't "have plans" for FF games on Xbox. Or maybe..........we stop pretending these deals for both Microsoft and Sony are not exactly what they are. Bullshit timed exclusives.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Nah. The studio behind Valheim is like 8 people. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary that they would not have the bandwidth to handle multiple ports at once.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Nah. The studio behind Valheim is like 8 people. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary that they would not have the bandwidth to handle multiple ports at once.

The small team argument doesn't make sense because the core Valheim team is not porting the game

dbe6c23b8b37ad5ecbad79e95153c509.png

I assume microsoft funded the port, or at least that some of the gamepass money went to it, so it makes sense that it isn't coming to playstation for 6 months.

Hendrick's

The small team argument doesn't make sense because the core Valheim team is not porting the game

dbe6c23b8b37ad5ecbad79e95153c509.png

I assume microsoft funded the port, or at least that some of the gamepass money went to it, so it makes sense that it isn't coming to playstation for 6 months.
Fair enough. I didn’t know they were farming it out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What point are you trying to make in defense of Microsoft here?
You know, they are trying to do BOTH, they are buying publishers (1 is ✅, while the other is ⏳ pending) + making exclusivity deals.

They aren't just buying small-time publishers here. So, if people are saying they should just continue to do those (exclusivity deals) vs. buying big publishers, they simply mean that BUT, again, MS isn't doing just that, they are doing BOTH. I don't know how/why you think the other hasn't already taken place once with the second in a paused state at the moment.

So, I think MS and Sony obviously carry on doing what they are doing. It's shit and none of them are going to stop. Theres no point in painting anything other than what it is. Absolute BAB!

What's the point in going either way on it apart from saying it's shit. Sony's not gonna stop, and MS isn't going to stop unless somehow someone stepped in legally and made the deals stop...which isn't going to happen.

I guess, let the Phil Spencer quotes continue? crack on :)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just out of interest, what more aggressive deals has MS done over Sony recently. I genuinely may have missed them. 1 year and beyond, two years ?
Aggressively as in quantity. PlayStation goes after bigger but fewer games. Xbox goes after smaller-scaled but more games and more frequently.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Aggressively as in quantity. PlayStation goes after bigger but fewer games. Xbox goes after smaller-scaled but more games and more frequently.

What games are these and what is the exclusivity period. I would consider aggressive as 1 year, 2 years or more etc.

Are you talking game pass gets?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Different definitions. Here are only some of them: https://culturedvultures.com/timed-xbox-console-launch-exclusives-list/

Games like Tunic, Yakuza 7 LAD next-gen version, Death's Door, The Medium, Naraka, etc. are not even in this article. So the actual list is a lot bigger.

Oh I was hoping that page was going to have both xbox and playstation deals listed but it's just xbox.

I found the ps5 one but at a glance it doesn't have deathloop, ffxvi, ffxvii..maybe more?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Oh I was hoping that page was going to have both xbox and playstation deals listed but it's just xbox.

I found the ps5 one but at a glance it doesn't have deathloop, ffxvi, ffxvii..maybe more?
Off the top of my head, I remember, since the new consoles launch:
  • Deathloop
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Arcadegeddon
  • Stray
  • Sifu
  • Tchia
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
  • Forspoken
  • Pathless
  • Godfall
There will be more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head. But I remember more of Xbox's console exclusives. Because they go after smaller games, they are able to exclude a higher quantity.

Cherrypepsi

150h playtime on steam

this game is probably among my top 10 games of all time, congrats game pass owners that you get to play this for free. I downloaded it on my Series X to see how it runs and I really liked the performance mode.
It sucks that Playstation players have to wait 6 more months though.

Three

No, I think it's mostly because the game just came out less than a week ago in a pseudo early-access state on console. Once the current release is done and if they do announce other platforms, then they'll talk about it as much as they want.

The "No plans for now" is a fairly standard PR statement. It has been used elsewhere as well, Microsoft does not have a stranglehold on it or whatever you are trying to imply here.

And the Xbox parity clause has been dead for almost a decade now. If you want to bring it up, I'm also happy to bring up Sony's parity clauses and paying to keep games off of competitive services.

But all that has been done to death in other topics already. So let's not, please.
You're going on like that is completely out of the question. Seems like you don't remember ME2.

Rykan

I don't really see your point? Besides it doesn't really hold up either as when you look at the top 25 (and beyond) Steam's most popular games are incredibly diverse. Out of the first 25 most popular games there's only 3 that fit the mold you described.
My point was that it's hard to determine how much of a role it's art style played in its success because nearly every game released of that type is succesful on steam.

Most popular chart is fairly useless in this context, as it is very much a fotm genre, with games abandoned as soon as the next flavor comes out.

Top Bottom