• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valheim Is 6 Months Timed Xbox Console Exclusive, Will Come To PlayStation Later

That's awesome, that it's coming to consoles... sucks that it's a 6 month delay for PS games, but it is what it is. So glad more ppl will get to play this game. Don't judge this game on it's graphics, it's a very intentional art style they went with... let that stop you from trying this game would be a real shame. I'll be double dipping on this when it comes to PS5.

Last edited:

Three

I don't really understand why you're comparing multiplayer player counts to late playstation ports. but ok.
Likely due to some kind of war mentality when it's not a competition. I'd go as far as to say GoW Ragnarok likely contributed to some interest in people playing Valheim 4months ago.

LRKD

Good game, weird timed exclusive. But who really cares if you are on console and care that much about it you would've gotten a pc and played it. And if you didn't care that much a additional 6 months isn't a big deal.

The only negative thing about the game is the devs suck, they had a cool update road map, but then once the game sold like crazy they canceled the roadmap claiming they wanted to instead focus on bugfixes due to the unexpected amount of players enjoying the game. What a bunch of assholes. It's still getting updates, just not as much as it should imo

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't really understand why you're comparing multiplayer player counts to late playstation ports. but ok.

All it's proving is that PC gamers love low quality crafting/gridfest games.

Like look at this shit. is this made in Dreams?

Valheim_beginner_tips_tricks_cover.0.png

‘Low quality’

nd3FWmK.jpg

mrmustard

Banned
Paid excusivity is always shit and i hate it, but better 6 months than 2 years or unlimited.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Valheim devs can't even talk about a PlayStation version.

Then people suddenly forget that Xbox also regularly does timed-exclusivity deals -- sometimes even more aggressively than PlayStation.

This is a stark reminder that both companies do timed-exclusivity contracts. And this is not in any way an excuse to buy multiplatform publishers. And that the following statements from executives are just PR brownie points and should be treated as such.

Tq4IxsM.jpg

lN0QSUY.jpg

Last edited:

Three

Gotta love the framing here. It's 6 months Early Access. The game is labeled as 'Preview' and lacks achievements.

It's basically a 6 month beta with the full patched release coming to PS in 6 months.
Why sign it in the first place then? It's not like PS doesn't have early access. It's them trying to pull another Pubg situation. If it's successful they might even extend the exclusivity period to a year like they did PUBG.
Meanwhile demon's soul which was coming to PC in initial trailer is nowhere to be seen. Fuck sony.
It was fairly obvious that state of play which used

“Not available on other consoles for a limited time. Also available on PC”

was a mistake/human error as they stated and clarified straight after. Unless you think Demon's Souls was coming to xbox they obviously used the text that was meant for games like Forespoken.

kicker

Banned
low quality crafting/gridfest games
It's successful on Steam because everything with the tags "Open World" Survival" and "Early Access" is successful on Steam.
:D
"Striking"

I guess that's one way to put it.
Is graphical fidelity the ultimate metric of quality to you people?

Shouldn't your thought process after checking out some footage be:
"Hm. This game definitely isn't popular because of its graphics -> There must be something else about it that's really good/unique -> I should ask the people that like it what that might be"

Have you never enjoyed a game that wasn't pushing your (I assume) console to the limit before? Or enjoyed a game you didn't think you would from looking at a glance?
Do you think minecraft isn't a really good game and everyone is just pretending?
I genuinely want to know

RobRSG

[/URL][/URL]

Then people suddenly forget that Xbox also regularly does timed-exclusivity deals -- sometimes even more aggressively than PlayStation.

This is a stark reminder that both companies do timed-exclusivity contracts. And this is not in any way an excuse to buy multiplatform publishers. And that the following statements from executives are just PR brownie points and should be treated as such.

Tq4IxsM.jpg

lN0QSUY.jpg
6 months exclusivity VS Whole life exclusivity

Both are a problem, but which one is more damaging?

You don’t need to have a big brain to figure this one out.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

Tq4IxsM.jpg

lN0QSUY.jpg
Everyone owns or has access to a device that can play Valheim on game pass. That’s the point of his comment. I mean, it’s not rocket science here. The difference between Xbox game pass timed exclusives and Sony, is Sony only lets you buy the games at full price, and only on either a PS4 or PS5. No phones, no pc, no Xbox console, no tablet, no web browser, etc.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I suspect finding out which system the game is available for dictated that commenting on the quality of the game was necessary.

I suspect that if this game were launching simultaneously on all consoles it wouldn't need to pass these inspections.

Three

Everyone owns or has access to a device that can play Valheim on game pass. That’s the point of his comment. I mean, it’s not rocket science here. The difference between Xbox game pass timed exclusives and Sony, is Sony only lets you buy the games at full price, and only on either a PS4 or PS5. No phones, no pc, no Xbox console, no tablet, no web browser, etc.
What a bunch of crock. PS timed exclusives usually include PC which, if you're talking about streaming, means you can sign up for other streaming services other than xcloud to play on your phone, web browser, tablet, or whatever.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
wait…

According to a lot of Xbox fans in the Activision thread, only PlayStation money hats exclusivity for content and timed exclusives?

Great, now I’m confused.

Those guys ought to go on your ignore list. Everyone knows Xbox and PlayStation have 3rd party exclusives. No point in engaging with people who are obviously deluded enough to either write fiction or tie themselves into knots to ensure their platform of choice always comes out looking good.

Same with a lot of PlayStation guys here too.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Those guys ought to go on your ignore list. Everyone knows Xbox and PlayStation have 3rd party exclusives. No point in engaging with people who are obviously deluded enough to either write fiction or tie themselves into knots to ensure their platform of choice always comes out looking good.

Same with a lot of PlayStation guys here too.
I’m just having a chuckle. Been around long enough to see the waves and excuses from all sides!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
What a bunch of crock. PS timed exclusives usually include PC which, if you're talking about streaming, means you can sign up for other streaming services other than xcloud to play on your phone, web browser tablet or whatever.
Oh, so now to potentially play a Sony timed exclusive game on a phone, we need to buy a pc version, and have access to a separate streaming service? Too many hoops. Just get game pass and you’re set.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony only lets you buy the games at full price,
Untrue, but we can count you out of the fight not to destroy games’ perceived value to consumers not to descend further in mobile like engagement + micro transaction heck just to align to a company apparent trajectory.

and only on either a PS4 or PS5. No phones, no pc, no Xbox console, no tablet, no web browser, etc
PSNow does not exist then… odd… their PC ports do not exist… the console exclusives that also release on PC do not exist…
… the bolded is also quite funny: (Sony exclusives not available on Xbox?) Xbox GamePass exclusives like Starfield are available on PS consoles now then? What is this comment supposed to say :LOL:.

Phil was talking out of both sides of his mouth but if we try to sell what he said as truly universal gaming for everyone we will keep on falling on our butts. It is not, it is not much smarter as a comment than Jimbo’s best quotes (and when people say that he learned best by shutting his mouth up they say a lot).

SJRB

Gold Member
Why would it? It's a 6 month Early Access beta on a platform that does better in those types of indie situations. A better version will come to playstation in 6 months. Where's the controversy in that..?

What? It's not like Xbox is beta-testing a pile of junk, Valheim is in a completely fine and playable state for a long time now.

Rykan

Shouldn't your thought process after checking out some footage be:
"Hm. This game definitely isn't popular because of its graphics -> There must be something else about it that's really good/unique -> I should ask the people that like it what that might be"

Have you never enjoyed a game that wasn't pushing your (I assume) console to the limit before? Or enjoyed a game you didn't think you would from looking at a glance?
Do you think minecraft isn't a really good game and everyone is just pretending?
I genuinely want to know
You quote my post, yet your response has nothing to do with my post.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Peaked in popularity years ago? Its peak concurrent players is Nov 2022, 4 months ago.

Avg 40k concurrent players. That's more than the now avg concurrent players of Spiderman, God of War, Returnal, Days Gone, Uncharted 4 & Horizon Zero dawn combined.

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity
The Simpsons GIF

Three

Oh, so now to potentially play a Sony timed exclusive game on a phone, we need to buy a pc version, and have access to a separate streaming service? Too many hoops. Just get game pass and you’re set.
Well that's fair enough that you think it's less value for money owning the game and streaming it vs $180 for GP Ultimate but that's not the same as saying other timed exclusivity means "only on either a PS4 or PS5. No phones, no pc, no Xbox console, no tablet, no web browser, etc."

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

[/URL]

Tq4IxsM.jpg

lN0QSUY.jpg

Taking Spencer’s words out of context seems to be a pastime here 😂

You think he’s talking about taking Xbox third party here?

kicker

Banned
You quote my post, yet your response has nothing to do with my post.
I assumed you were pointing out that valheim being successful (although I guess popular is more fitting) on steam doesn't make it being a good game, as any random game in that genre would be succesful on steam.

If that's not what you meant, then my bad

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Going by this forum, this is exactly what people want Microsoft to be doing? So there shouldn't be a problem right?

If both MS and Sony stop doing it then it's a fair playing field and all is well, I suppose. But, we all know that ain't going to happen.

We have seen this quite a bit with these game pass deals, I imagine it's part of the terms for paying a big chungus to put it on the service for it's users to play.

Last edited:

T0minator

So people complain now when MS is doing it? Sony is the master of gatekeeping all major 3rd party games and it is way longer than 6 months.

MS isn't just now doing it, they have a history of paying for timed exclusivity since the original Xbox days.

Seems like ppl are complaining more now because ppl are complaining about Sony doing it.. literally Sony and Microsoft have been paying for exclusivity for decades

Duchess

Timed exclusives don't bother me one bit. Games these days tend to be getting patches 3 months after release, to add features and fix bugs. It just means that the console that misses out initially ends up with a version that is more complete than it was at launch on the other.

Goalus

Peaked in popularity years ago? Its peak concurrent players is Nov 2022, 4 months ago.

Avg 40k concurrent players. That's more than the now avg concurrent players of Spiderman, God of War, Returnal, Days Gone, Uncharted 4 & Horizon Zero dawn combined.

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity
You forgot Sackboy, which currently has about 800 reviews in Steam.

Three

Going by this forum, this is exactly what people want Microsoft to be doing? So there shouldn't be a problem right?

If both MS and Sony stop doing it then it's a fair playing field and all is well, I suppose. But, we all know that ain't going to happen.

We have seen this quite a bit with these game pass deals, I imagine it's part of the terms for paying a big chungus to put it on the service for it's users to play.
Using your own logic.

Going by this forum and even your own posts this is exactly what MS apparently doesn’t do and Sony shouldn't do.

Now it's OK for you and you're simultaneously claiming this is a big get too. Make up your mind.

Top Bottom