• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valheim Is 6 Months Timed Xbox Console Exclusive, Will Come To PlayStation Later

Topher

Gold Member
Coffee Stain Studios and Iron Gate Studio’s Valheim is a timed console exclusive on Xbox for the duration of 6 months, and it is, therefore, planned for release on PlayStation later on.

According to an email sent out by Microsoft to Xbox Game Pass subscribers on the occasion of the launch of Valheim on its platform, the game is a timed console exclusive for the duration of 6 months, suggesting that it will arrive on PlayStation later on. A screenshot from said email can be seen below.

Valheim xbox timed exclusive playstation

Towards the bottom of the email, it is explicitly stated that Xbox console exclusivity will extend for a limited time of six months. This opens the window for a PS4 and PS5 launch once the 6 month exclusivity window has expired.

Valheim is a survival and sandbox video game by the Swedish developer Iron Gate Studio and published by Coffee Stain Studios. Early access was made available on 2 February 2021 for Linux and Windows users through Steam, and on 14 March 2023 for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S users. The game was created by a five-person team, which built on Richard Svensson’s development work from a side project he had worked on in his free time. Valheim, hailed as a “rare exception” of a well-done early access game, has enjoyed critical and commercial success since its early access release. Over five million copies had been sold and it was one of the most popular games on Steam a month after its launch.

The game’s setting features a place where dead Vikings go to establish their suitability for the halls of Valhalla. As such, the player starts out without anything and quickly learns that in order to enter the Norse afterlife, they must vanquish the evils that prowl Valheim. They gear up to battle Odin’s sworn enemies, guided only by their instincts and sporadic cues from a raven.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm doing Valheim co-op with my son (I'm on PC, he's on XSX) right now and it's some of the best co-op fun moments we've had recently. Highly recommended.

Anyway, no matter the platform I don't like exclusivity it makes no sense to me as a consumer in 2023.

Edit:

I never heard of this game before.
So I watched a video of it.

Microsoft, you actually paid real money to land this as an exclusive?
Why?

It looks like a Wii game.
But more importantly: It's better than most Wii games.

Funny thing is, my son (eight years old) told me after our first co-op: "Wow, it's funny how a game that looks like this is still so much fun to play!". I made a LOL

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Peaked in popularity years ago? Its peak concurrent players is Nov 2022, 4 months ago.

Avg 40k concurrent players. That's more than the now avg concurrent players of Spiderman, God of War, Returnal, Days Gone, Uncharted 4 & Horizon Zero dawn combined.

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity
What !? A survival crafting game has higher peak player count compared to SP games ? Wowwwwwwwww

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

What !? A survival crafting game has higher peak player count compared to SP games ? Wowwwwwwwww

And had a higher peak count than almost all of them, except God of War.

It's sitting on a weekly basis in the 18-25 top played games on Steam

So, i mean, if we want to try to say stupid things like the game peaked "years" ago, i would expect better quality concern trolling than that.

Connxtion

So it’s being portrayed as exclusive because it’s in the preview program. (that’s just because Sony doesn’t have the same program on PS)

The way I see it, is in 6 month PSN will get a finished port instead of a alpha/beta version.

Coffee Stain Studios and Iron Gate Studio’s Valheim is a timed console exclusive on Xbox for the duration of 6 months, and it is, therefore, planned for release on PlayStation later on.

According to an email sent out by Microsoft to Xbox Game Pass subscribers on the occasion of the launch of Valheim on its platform, the game is a timed console exclusive for the duration of 6 months, suggesting that it will arrive on PlayStation later on. A screenshot from said email can be seen below.

Valheim xbox timed exclusive playstation

Towards the bottom of the email, it is explicitly stated that Xbox console exclusivity will extend for a limited time of six months. This opens the window for a PS4 and PS5 launch once the 6 month exclusivity window has expired.

Valheim is a survival and sandbox video game by the Swedish developer Iron Gate Studio and published by Coffee Stain Studios. Early access was made available on 2 February 2021 for Linux and Windows users through Steam, and on 14 March 2023 for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S users. The game was created by a five-person team, which built on Richard Svensson’s development work from a side project he had worked on in his free time. Valheim, hailed as a “rare exception” of a well-done early access game, has enjoyed critical and commercial success since its early access release. Over five million copies had been sold and it was one of the most popular games on Steam a month after its launch.

The game’s setting features a place where dead Vikings go to establish their suitability for the halls of Valhalla. As such, the player starts out without anything and quickly learns that in order to enter the Norse afterlife, they must vanquish the evils that prowl Valheim. They gear up to battle Odin’s sworn enemies, guided only by their instincts and sporadic cues from a raven.

Why would MS send emails to players discussing the length of their business deals?

diffusionx

Gold Member
And had a higher peak count than almost all of them, except God of War.

It's sitting on a weekly basis in the 18-25 top played games on Steam

So, i mean, if we want to try to say stupid things like the game peaked "years" ago, i would expect better quality concern trolling than that.
looks like the peak was february 2021

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Peaked in popularity years ago? Its peak concurrent players is Nov 2022, 4 months ago.

Avg 40k concurrent players. That's more than the now avg concurrent players of Spiderman, God of War, Returnal, Days Gone, Uncharted 4 & Horizon Zero dawn combined.

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity
oh-snap-dave-chappelle.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So it’s being portrayed as exclusive because it’s in the preview program. (that’s just because Sony doesn’t have the same program on PS)

The way I see it, is in 6 month PSN will get a finished port instead of a alpha/beta version.
This, to be fair, is how most games work now.

Buy it 6 months after launch to get the version that is patched and working. (Or even longer!)

Either way, the preview program on Xbox is pretty cool, it's a great opportunity to try games out early for people who like playing games - or to sneer at something, if you like supporting a particular manufacturer more than playing games.

So everyone should be happy in theory.

Luck Fingers Crossed GIF by The Great Pottery Throw Down

JimboJones

Game is super fun but kind of a grind. Hopefully for the eventual PS release they keep the whole thing cross play between everything and don't have some bs console divide.

Three

To be fair, nobody is saying exclusivity deals are great, so perhaps no need to give the opposite point of view for 30 pages.
Some MS nuts actually think MS don't do these because it's the work of the devil or something.

What on earth gives you the idea that PS doesn't have an early access program?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Eh, don't know why i didn't see the peaks, can't find one i was looking at earlier, there's so many steam trackers.

So November 2022 is still valid as beating most absolute peaks of Sony's lineup except for god of war. December-January a mere few months ago and its not even close. Peak month on launch is top 10 tier of all concurrent players on Steam, nothing even close from Sony side since they've released games on PC.

It's got legs and it's a good get on gamepass.

Trying to put this game as "nothing" from console crowd is funny. Yes its a survival craft game, HUR DUR PC gamers like those HUR DUR DUR

diffusionx

Gold Member
Eh, don't know why i didn't see the peaks, can't find one i was looking at earlier, there's so many steam trackers.

So November 2022 is still valid as beating most absolute peaks of Sony's lineup except for god of war. December-January a mere few months ago and its not even close. Peak month on launch is top 10 tier of all concurrent players on Steam, nothing even close from Sony side since they've released games on PC.

Trying to put this game as "nothing" from console crowd is funny. Yes its a survival craft game, HUR DUR PC gamers like those HUR DUR DUR
i don't know why you keep bringing up Sony, it really has nothing to do with this, they're different games, and my post, the one you responded to, did not mention Sony at all.

Raonak

Banned

I don't really understand why you're comparing multiplayer player counts to late playstation ports. but ok.

All it's proving is that PC gamers love low quality crafting/gridfest games.

Like look at this shit. is this made in Dreams?

Valheim_beginner_tips_tricks_cover.0.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom