• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valhalla combat details (feign death, dual wield shields, dismemberment)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/as...tealth-one-hit-assassination-same-sex-romance

Social Stealth and One-Hit Kills Return
Social stealth is back in the series! "To do this, we are bringing back social stealth, the ability to manually use your hood, nearby people and situations to your advantage to blend into the crowd," That's brand-new for the series; in previous games, your character always had their hood, or would put up their hood automatically in stealth situations. In Origins, changing your hood position offered no gameplay benefits. Now, it seems your hood will provide some degree of cover for your character. [Like RDR2??]

Ubisoft Montreal is also adding other stealth options for Eivor, including the option to feign death. "Additionally, we have the return of the hidden blade, the hood and cloak, distraction capacity with your Raven Sýnin, feign death ability, and many other tools at your disposal, so stealth is a powerful option," says the studio.

Hidden blade - (possible QTE)?
Apparently, there will be an option for one-shot assassinations, just like the good old days.

"There is a change in the system. Eivor is not a trained Assassin when the journey starts, so using the hidden blade will be unique and new for Eivor. But very quickly Eivor will learn a technique that with good timing, virtually any target can be taken out with a single shot," I do have questions surrounding the "good timing" comment. Will there be some brief assassination mini-game, like hitting the button exactly when you make contact with your target?

You Can Chop Off Some Heads Now
Over on the official site, Ubisoft notes that players will be able to "bash, dismember, and decapitate your foes," an addition that some asked for with the Spartan-flavored Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The site also notes that players can dual-wield axes, swords, and even shields, and the second trailer for the game shows throwing axes as a ranged weapon.

"It was really harsh; our research taught us that Vikings were very versatile fighters. They knew how to use a wide variety of weapons; and managed to dual-wield any kind of weapons they could get their hands on. They even weaponized their shields, which is why you can dual-wield them in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla," says Thierry Noël, historian and advisor for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla's Editorial Research Unit.

Eivor is also getting a few new weapons. We've already seen a flail in the early screenshots, and Ubisoft says this is about providing more options and versatility. "We wanted to reflect the grittiness and brutality of the Viking age, and the feeling of impact during visceral combat was something we paid a lot of attention to," Ubisoft says. "And yes, this is also reflected in the ranged and stealth approach." I'd expect Eivor to land in the same territory as Assassin's Creed 3's Connor Kenway, who had a great deal of weight and brutality to his personal style of combat.

distraction capacity with your Raven Sýnin,

Confirmation of the raven in full instead of an eagle then. Awesome. Plus shields fully, and doubly!, confirmed. Hmm dual wield shields, I wonder if then there could be two-handed shields? And then if you can dual wield shields, I'm assuming you could wield a shield in the primary hand (attacking) slot and then any other 1hander in the secondary as well, not just two shields.

There's a lot to like about those details. The hood and cloak deal is like Syndicate, which works well.

Feign death could be very interesting as well. I wonder what the limitations on that are, such as do you have to be stationary or can you use it while moving/jumping or swimming? Because I could very well see cannon-balling into the water/ocean and hitting feign death right then to fake death into the water.

Sounds like I'll be able to do a sword & shield build though, which is good. Or spear primary/sword secondary and shield in other hand.

SCB3

Apparently, there will be an option for one-shot assassinations, just like the good old days.

Thank god, it really did take away from the whole Stealth Assassin thing when enemies could tank a fucking knife in the spine

Over on the official site, Ubisoft notes that players will be able to "bash, dismember, and decapitate your foes," an addition that some asked for with the Spartan-flavored Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The site also notes that players can dual-wield axes, swords, and even shields, and the second trailer for the game shows throwing axes as a ranged weapon.

Almost sounds like God of War, also Axe and Shield seems like the most viable Viking like build

LordKasual

Banned
Any flowery description of a game is completely useless from Ubisoft / Activision / EA without gameplay.

No, not in-engine footage, playable gameplay footage.

Last edited:

Soodanim

There's been no hidden blade/instant kills for one or more games? Maybe that choice has context and reasoning but as a fan of 1-Revelations, that's a... interesting choice for a series based on those elements. I'll be interested to see footage of this game in action, it's a setting with potential.

TheMan

The more I hear the more I like.

Hype is still building but TBH, other than cyberpunk this is the release I'm most looking forward to this eyar

cormack12

Gold Member
There's been no hidden blade/instant kills for one or more games? Maybe that choice has context and reasoning but as a fan of 1-Revelations, that's a... interesting choice for a series based on those elements. I'll be interested to see footage of this game in action, it's a setting with potential.

They could kill lower enemies, but to kill enemies of same level and higher you needed to equip items with +assassinate % modifier, and also buy abilities in the assassin tree that multiplied damage as well. But as you can see speccing for assassin, usually meant sacrificing other builds. Compare assassin damage to warrior at bottom. Even then, you still got elites which were left with a sliver of health. Made it a pain in the ass because unless you specced assassin, you had to wander round and assassinate everyone in the forts, otherwise you'd get swarmed when you weren;t powerful enough to take down the head honcho and he called for help

ozgr3fkdjcr11.jpg

Hans Bubby

Banned
They could kill lower enemies, but to kill enemies of same level and higher you needed to equip items with +assassinate % modifier, and also buy abilities in the assassin tree that multiplied damage as well. But as you can see speccing for assassin, usually meant sacrificing other builds. Compare assassin damage to warrior at bottom. Even then, you still got elites which were left with a sliver of health. Made it a pain in the ass because unless you specced assassin, you had to wander round and assassinate everyone in the forts, otherwise you'd get swarmed when you weren;t powerful enough to take down the head honcho and he called for help

ozgr3fkdjcr11.jpg

I fucking love Odyssey but one of the most annoying things to me was when you were taking down a massive fort then like 3 mercenaries would show up at the same time. It's no problem now at level 71 but it was frustrating at lower levels.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'll take the vikings theme over anything else proposed (Japan, Wild West etc.) Vikings will be the closest Ubisoft has at winning GOTY.

The details that have come out recently all sound pretty good to me, though I am not sure how the "Viking Diplomacy" aspect will play out.

Just wish we could see it in action.

The Shepard

Some added weight to the combat would be welcomed, I didn't like the feel of assassin's creed origins combat, felt to floaty, so I skipped the next one as it looks the same.

"I'd expect Eivor to land in the same territory as Assassin's Creed 3's Connor Kenway, who had a great deal of weight and brutality to his personal style of combat."

It sounds like it will be.

Last edited:

wvnative

LOVED Origins but Odyssey didn't do it for me, so far it sounds like most of my issues from Odyssey have been addressed.

Soodanim

ozgr3fkdjcr11.jpg
I appreciate this, I had no clue about any of it. It's so different! I loved how it worked in the old games when you waited for your moment and finally got the target and slipped away unseen or successfully made your escape from the guards. Sounds like the entire gameplay loop has shifted now - I'm not sure I would enjoy it. Maybe this new one is more of what I remember.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
certain 'veterans' out here claim Ass Creeds animations were the best in the biz.

lmfao

They absolutely *were* AC2 had industry-leading animations when it came out.

They are still generally good, but definitely not on top anymore.

Kenpachii

So basically they remove the assassin tree and just give that towards you straight away so u can focus on other stuff.

xacto

It's quite OK that Ubisoft will leave the gameplay for our imagination right now, and when we'll actually see it... prepare to be disappointed. Every Ubisoft game sounds good on paper, even The Division 2 😂

Top Bottom