• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(USATODAY) Low-carb diet burns the most calories in small study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekere

Yeah, it's a really easy diet to follow as long as you know how to cook. I've been following it for more than a month now and I don't intend to stop, if I really want to I have one cheat day per week, generally I make some home-made pasta.

Danielsan

I've been meaning to try a low-carb diet, just to lose some minor body fat. But honestly, I love bread, rice and potatoes way too much. Hell, I'm not sure what I'd have to eat then! Besides it's not like I'm fat now. I way in at around 72kg at 182cm. I would like to get some abs showing though.

Bladenic

Then eat whole grain with high fibre and low sugar.

Meh I do sometimes, but white bread is way better. Not store bought though, but rather home made.

Only diet I go by is everything in moderation, but I know not everyone can follow that and be healthy and not gain or lose weight.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright...I need to kick myself back on to the low-carb (well, more like low glycemic for me) diet again. Did it last year for about 2 months and dropped 20 pounds. Went on vacation and told myself I'd be allowed to cheat on vacation...and I fell off the wagon.

Time to kick it into gear.

I need to start working out as well...but I'm not sure I'll be able to find out a workout partner. A bunch of friends work out in inconvenient places/times for me. I could try solo, but I have a feeling I'd lose motivation quickly.

entremet

I'm a cyclic low carber myself since I weight train. There's a new movement in the low carb, paleo world about safe starches--such as rice and potatoes versus unsafe starches based on grains--pasta, breads. Meaning, rice and potatoes since they're not as refined aren't as bad, from a low carber perspective, as previously though. Obviously, exercise portion control. Eating two huge bowls of rice in one sitting ain't helping anyone, especially if you're sedentary.

But for athletes and those that exercise or train consistently, safe starches provide a healthy source of additional calories to sustain the increased activity.

Sugar is really the worst, though. Alec Baldwin recently lost tons of weight just cutting sugar--all sugar and artificial sweeteners.

Eat what you want, but I know I'm healthier avoiding refined sugars and grains.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
As someone who has low-carbed to lose weight, I can add to the chorus saying "it works." I even had blood work done in January while I was in the middle of it, eating 4 pieces of bacon with 3 eggs smothered in cheese in the morning. My LDL was below their limit of detection, my HDL was above their limit of quantitation. Nurse didn't believe me when I told her what I ate. If you want to lower your bad cholesterol and raise your good, eliminate carbs.

Liberty4all

Banned
So here's my story.

At around 26 I started putting on massive amounts of weight. After weighing 120 my whole life (and eating whatever I want) I all of the sudden put on close to 80 pounds in a six month span. A part of this was my gf (now wife) moving in ... as a filipna she loved her rice and introduced me to the rice cooker as well as her way of life of having huge amounts of white rice with every single meal. Aside from the rice factor I guess my calorie intake also went up, my metabolism went down as I got older and also due to sitting at an office desk all day.

In January of this year I decided to try something different. Wife and I switched to brown rice and started eating smaller portions. Eventually we cut out rice completely (although we still cheat once a week or so). Our typical dinners went from meat/pork/chicken and rice to steak/pork/chicken/fish and huge amounts of veg. We started off with this from Costco:

IMG_1613.jpg

and doubled our usual amount of veg intake per meal. At the same time we cut in half our usual meat intake and dropped rice altogether. More recently we've cut back on the frozen veg and now buy only fresh (better).

We also cut out all boxed "meat" (aka chicken fingers, nuggets, Captain Highliners etc). Literally all of it. Processed box stuff is usually junk.

Secondly we started actually reading labels and making an effort to understand what's good and what's bad when buying anything in can, box, carton or package.

Corn syrup? bad
Maltodextrin? bad
Onion "flavouring"? It's probaly maltodextrin. Bad
(added) Sugar? bad Even "natural sugar" can be bad too if taken in excess. Bad
Glucose fructose? Bad
high fructose corn syrup? Bad

This is just a small example of label reading. The easiest way to do it is to basically refuse to buy anything that has an ingredient that sounds like a chemical or you can't pronounce. Take simple things like peanut butter. It's so easy. Buy the fucking container that has ONE ingredient - peanuts.

Third thing we did was we started a breakfast meal replacement called Shakeology. This had immediate and drastic effects increasing our metabolism within a week.

shakeology-01.jpg

shakeologybenefit.jpg

Not for everyone of course ... Shakeology is mad expensive (110 bucks for 30 portions) and you can probably get the same benefits buying various supplements and foods. It has one big thing going for it ... it takes under 3 minutes to make using a bullet blender in the morning and is a latchkey solution .... something I needed to get myself started on the right path.

Some other things I also did: Cut sugar completely out. No more cola, beer, or any type of fruit juice. For my coffee I stopped using sugar and started using 100 percent natural honey. Also cut out most pork meat (except for bacon. Fucking love bacon).

I've also started adding in healthy snacks. For example Larabar:

lara-merriken.jpg

So simple and easy. 13 bucks at Canadian Costco for 12 (I think in the US you guys get 18 bars for about the same price).

The key to me has been a multiple prong strategy really (disclaimer: this is completely unscientific based solely on what's worked for me)--

1. Lower carbs (I still cheat once or twice a week ... but it's nothing like before). Nowadays bread and rice are things that make me feel uncomfortable and bloating. Actually they did before too I just didn't know it.

2. Double Veg portions with meals to replace the carbs your not getting anymore

3. Cut your meat portion in half (this applies to most people unless you are already practicing portion control). Basically no more than a palmful of meat with your meals

4. Find healthy in between meal snacks (like Larabar for example). I eat 5 times a day. Shakeology in the morning, larabar for snack, lunch, another healthy snack (usually a banana or something) and then dinner.

5. Learn how to cook and how to spice your food. My dinners are glorious affairs consisting of fresh meat and veg with amazing spices.

6. Try to eat entirely fresh foods. When you have to buy something boxed/processed read the labels and try to find something like Larabar

Almost everything I've done and the weight I've lost has been with a complete lack of any type of exercise although I've started introducing daily swimming into my routine in the last month or so.

I lost 3 inches of my waist and about 20 pounds in 6 months. I've cheated abit in June but going back strong in July. The one thing holding me back right now is that I'm abit of a wineo. I love my red wine, drink half a bottle daily. That's not helping me on the carb side of things at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wanted to try Shakeology but it's a bit too expensive for me.

As for Larabars, I see them at the store, but they have a good amount of carbs right?

My snack at work in the morning and afternoon is a cheese stick and handful of almonds.

Liberty4all

Banned
Wanted to try Shakeology but it's a bit too expensive for me.

As for Larabars, I see them at the store, but they have a good amount of carbs right?

My snack at work in the morning and afternoon is a cheese stick and handful of almonds.

Larabar's have carbs. My diet is low carb mostly but not completly cut out.

Larabars are made from easily recognizable, organic whole food ingredients, but that does not mean they are low in calories. The primary ingredients in Larabars are a variety of nuts, dates, and other dried fruit. Though wholesome and nutritious, nuts and dried fruit are high in calories for their weight. Consequently, Larabars range from 190 to 240 calories per bar, more than twice the calories of a medium apple.

Calories from Fat
Larabars are not a low-fat treat. In fact, the different flavors range from 8 to 14 grams of fat per bar, contributing on average just over half of the calories, according to Larabar.com. However, that is only part of the story. The primary types of fat in Larabars are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat. Those types of fat are considered "heart healthy" by the American Heart Association because they have been found to lower cholesterol levels when consumed in moderation.

Calories from Carbohydrates
After fat, the next highest source of calories in Larabars are carbohydrates. Larabars have 23 to 33 grams of carbohydrate per bar, contributing 80 to 120 calories, depending on the flavor, according to Larabar.com. Naturally occurring sugars are the main source of carbohydrates in Larabars. That is due to the dates and other supplementary dried fruit that are primary ingredients in each bar.

Calories from Protein
The protein content of Larabars ranges from 3 to 7 grams, or, in other words, 12 to 28 calories per bar, according to Larabar.com. Nuts supply most of the protein in Larabars. That makes Larabars a vegetarian-friendly source of protein. Like other plant protein sources, Larabars do not provide a full spectrum of essential amino acids. Despite that shortcoming, plant protein sources do contribute to daily protein requirements according to the American Dietetic Association.

Larabar Energy Density
Larabars have a rather high energy density, ranging from 4.22 to 4.77 calories/gram, according to Larabar.com. For comparison, a raw apple with skin has 0.53 calories/gram and roasted peanuts have 5.99 calories/gram, according to the USDA's National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference.

Larabars in a Healthy Diet
Larabars fit into a healthy diet despite their high calorie content. One bar provides from one quarter to a full serving of fruit depending on the flavor. Larabars are also a rich source of fiber, low sodium, and have no added sugar. They also contain a variety of vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin E, phosphorus, copper, zinc and magnesium. All of the aforementioned nutritional features place Larabars within the "Food Groups to Encourage" as found in the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

Source

On-topic:

I just made myself a Quinoa and mixed bean sallad, topped with pumpkin seeds and crumbled feta cheese.

Got a bunch of carbs, but also healthy as hell.

You eat a lot of peas. Aren't they high in carbs and generally avoided on a low carb diet?
Peas are okay, not the best veggies you can eat. I did that menu from memory and probably overstated peas. I totally forgot to include green beans which along with spinach, lentils and brussel sprouts I probably eat most often as a side.

Oppo

I agree with most of what is on here. For what it's worth, here are the five things that I find were the absolute most valuable guidelines/bits of advice:

1. fat does not make you fat. sugar makes you fat.

2. the more processed, the worse it is, in all circumstances. if it wasn't killed or fell off a tree or pulled from the ground or ocean, be suspicious and avoid if at all possible. this even applies to juice; the second you removed the pulp, you made it worse. bread is processed from grains of course.

3. when you eat lots of protein you won't be hungry. no cravings, easy diet. just absolutely make sure to pair this with water intake; people always forget that part and it's crucial.

4. figure out a set of meals that comform to the diet that you find tasty (not just passable but actually desirable). buy that shit every week. you probably think you eat a big variety of things right now, but you probably don't. have things on-hand for the rare snack attack. argue with yourself while eating the healthy thing if you must. you'll forget all about it in a few minutes.

5. use the one-day binge. it actually helps keep the metabolism from crashing, and it will help tremendously with the idea that you are "depriving" yourself. you don't deprive yourself of any food; you just time-shift it to Saturday, or whatever. makes a huge mental difference.

I'm making this up, but this would be typical for me:

MONDAY
Breakfast: Smoked salmon and eggs
Lunch: Stir-fried chicken and peppers
Dinner: Ribeye steak and spinach

TUESDAY
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
Lunch: Tuna on a low-carb flatbread wrap with some almonds
Dinner: Pork chop with beans or peas

WEDNESDAY
Breakfast: Ham and cheese omelette
Lunch: Split pea and ham soup
Dinner: Roast chicken and creamed spinach

THURSDAY
Breakfast: Chicken sausage and eggs
Lunch: Grilled cajun salmon with mixed nuts
Dinner: Italian sausage and peppers

FRIDAY
Breakfast: Some kind of egg scramble with ham and peppers
Lunch: Yellowfin tuna poke with onions and soy sauce
Dinner: Lamb chops with lentils and mushy peas

WEEKEND
Anything I want.

When I do low carb I eat a lot more veggies than Gary and I try to keep myself around 50g of carbs.

Easy things to make that are delicious, Costco Turkey and Salmon burgers. Grill them or quicker yet cook them in a pan with some olive oil then make a burger 'bun' out of butter/bib lettuce. Throw on sliced tomato, red onion, cheese, avocado and you have yourself a delicious burger.

Make life easy and grill a lot of chicken breasts at once. Make a greek salad to eat with your chicken and then take left overs and make chicken curry salad. Eat the curry salad in a lettuce wrap instead of a flour wrap.

Grill cheap steak/slicing beef after marinading and make yourself a spinach blue cheese steak salad.

I started trying out new veggies and now I love kale lightly sauteed in olive oil and garlic. Sautee peppers and onions with natural chicken sausages for sausage and peppers.

Make faux rice out of cauliflower. I make Mexican rice and fried rice to have with things like carne asada and beef and broccoli stir fry.

Try freeze dried herb mixes to add flavor and cut out salt. By spice minxes from Penzeys Spices and make all kinds of delicious flavorful foods. Low carb doesn't have to be boring meat and one veg.

CrankyJay

Banned
Every time I eat carbs now I fart like a fucking banshee. That alone is reason enough to keep them restricted.

Carbs are fine if you're going to be active and out and about, but if you work at a desk all day there's not much use for an excessive amount. Enough to think clearly is fine.

Green tea, to a moderation.
Diet sodas.
Almond milk/Hazelnut milk/Soy milk.

I would drink green tea over diet soda any day. Diet soda is carbonated water and preservatives with artificial sweetener and caramel coloring that turns out to increase your chances of cancer.

You can make your own fermented tea drinks like Kombucha which is delicious and if you need to drink sweet drinks like ice tea, I stick with honey and agave. Sugar but at least it's a natural sugar.

Carbs are fine if you're going to be active and out and about, but if you work at a desk all day there's not much use for an excessive amount. Enough to think clearly is fine.

Carbs from fruit and veggies are perhaps fine for everybody but more and more people are unable to digest carbs from grains. Gluten is a huge issue for a lot of people. I only became lactose intolerant later in life and now grains make me bloat and fart up a storm.

I've lost about 5% body fat in the last few months from being on a low-carb diet.

I didn't realize potatoes are high in carbs so I'll have to cut down on those as well. A good replacement is probably legumes, eh?

Liberty4all

Banned
One thing I've found that's also helped me is drinking water that has a high alkaline content. I have irritable bowel syndrome which causes a lot of acid reflux as well as bloating... I find alkaline water counteracts the acid. Any type of water with a ph balance over 7 seems to help. Evian, Fujii (expensive as hell), Eska.

CrankyJay

Banned
Carbs from fruit and veggies are perhaps fine for everybody but more and more people are unable to digest carbs from grains. Gluten is a huge issue for a lot of people. I only became lactose intolerant later in life and now grains make me bloat and fart up a storm.

My carb intake consists of fruits/veggies/rice/quinoa and the occasional potato (baked with no fats). Potatoes have been demonized but they're really a nutritionally wonderful food if cooked correctly and not eaten in excess. As with everything. I haven't had bread or pasta in months.

Phoenix

Conversely...

Low-carb, high-protein diets may be linked to an increase in cardiovascular disease.

(If true, it would seem that the increased intake in protein is the culprit, and not the fat.)

So...I guess you're fucked no matter what you do.

Not if you have Type 1 diabetes like I do. :(

Likely it has to do with the folks that sub in protein eating assloads of red meat which is high in cholesterol. Its all about balance. You can lose weight without reverting to Atkins or P90X, but you have to clear out the things that are making you fat and balance the rest.

ultim8p00

Banned
I wish I had everybody's problem in this thread.

I'm 22 and 5'10" and I currently weigh about 160 which is perfect, but I have to EAT A SHIT TON to keep that up. According to some tests my metabolism is abnormally high for my age. Every pound of muscle and fat that I put on I have to fight for.

I love good food, but I don't like eating much. Left to me I'd probably eat one satisfying meal a day and call it good.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So seeing as Gary posted his menu, here's my typical week. What should change?

Weekdays:

Breakfast: Either a protein shake (Atkins, Muscle Milk) or an Atkins breakfast bar (around 130 calories).

Snack 1: Almonds, Cheese stick

Lunch: Progresso Soup + Strawberries, or Salad greens mix with Turkey lunch meat and dressing + Strawberries.

Snack 2: Almonds, Cheese stick

Dinner: Either Chicken breast + veggies/cottage cheese or eggs + veggies

Weekend:

3 Meals (includes Friday night): Turkey dog + Bun + veggies + cheese
1 meal: Out
1 meal: something like tacos with turkey meat on low carb shells + veggies + cheese.

As mentioned my weekend is the worst when I eat out more than once, but the turkey dogs are those "seem bad for you so I crave them, but they aren't bad for you" meals.

Tips? I know I should probably get more calories during the week. My weight loss has slowed a lot though with 15 lbs left to go. As a note, I currently do Insanity.

LosDaddie

Banned
Yes! I was hoping this thread would turn into a lite version of the Weight Loss thread. :)

Everyone should be exercising daily.

Indeed. Well, maybe not every day, but about 4-5x a week. Being healthy isn't solely about being at a good weight for your body size.

I always SMH when people boast about losing weight with barely any exercise. If you're going to commit to losing weight, then you should go ahead and get in some regular exercise as well.

Yup, I allow myself one day a week when I can eat anything I want without restriction.

Cheat Days are my ticket to sanity. They are my reward for being good on my diet all week. It's a shame, though, that I'm always too full to eat everything I want during my Cheat Day. :(

doesn't sound very much fun.

Sounds like hell to me, actually. I love food.

Green tea, to a moderation.
Diet sodas.
Almond milk/Hazelnut milk/Soy milk.

:lol

Diet sodas don't magically become healthy to drink because they lack carbs. They are still horrible for you, just in a different way. If you're going to cut sodas out of your diet, then don't halfass it by switching to diet soda.

I put myself on a restricted carb diet at the end of May and I've been having fantastic results. I wasn't really overweight but I had a winter gut that I wasn't too fond of. It's pretty much gone now and the diet along with making my work outs more regular has had great results. Been running around at the beach and wore a tank top for the first time in years and was looking pretty good in it. I also noticed that a pair of jeans that I bought at a sample sale this spring that were, um, aspirational and that I could barely zip up, now fit perfectly and make my ass look rad.

Anyway, low-carb wraps are a godsend-- I use them to make breakfast wraps with eggs, veggie bacon, cheese and maybe some arugula or spinach.

One of the things I missed most was burritos, so I started going to my burrito place once in a while and getting a bowl with black beans, veggie protein of some sort, vegetables, hot sauce and maybe some cheese or guac. Then I either have just the bowl or use one of the low carb wraps myself. It definitely scratches the itch.

It's been a little tough to avoid beer and wine, but I did it completely for the first three or four weeks. I've since allowed myself a couple beers, light if they have it. BUT bourbon is 0 carbs and my favorite liquor, so sometimes I'll bring a flask with good bourbon (Knob Creek is great) and have a bourbon and club soda with some lemon.

Cherries are in season and have been one of my go-to desserts, very yummy. I also discovered a fab low-carb chocolate bar. They sell these at Trader Joe's for $1.99 and they are fucking awesome:

simply_lite1.png

I'm closing in on 50 pounds lost on a low carb diet, it's amazing, 100% diet and you can loose about a pound every day, it's like finding a body cheat code.

I started off working out a ton and eating worse tasting 'low fat' versions of my favorite foods and hated it, with much slower results, I knew it wasn't sustainable at all. Thanks to a ton of research I found about keto and it was great.

I don't think it will happen but I hope in the near future the fear of fat and calories dies out, and the fear transfers to carbs and more people learn about this, every time I see an obese individual I just want to tell them how simple it is.

I've tried buying fresh vegetables at the farmer's market and eating only fruit for breakfast or snacks (which is easy) but I never know what to make for dinner, stuff usually goes bad before I make it. I need healthy stuff that requires almost no effort to make

Indeed. Well, maybe not every day, but about 4-5x a week. Being healthy isn't solely about being at a good weight for your body size.

I always SMH when people boast about losing weight with barely any exercise. If you're going to commit to losing weight, then you should go ahead and get in some regular exercise as well.
Can you guys give more details about what daily exercise should be?

Say I do a few sets of 1 min plank, some side planks, some pushups, crunches, then a ~10 min jog around the block. This would be about 20 mins of exercise. Is that enough to satisfy a day of exercising? I usually do this workout when I don't go to the gym for a grueling ~40 mins with my trainer twice a week.

Diet sodas don't magically become healthy to drink because they lack carbs. They are still horrible for you, just in a different way. If you're going to cut sodas out of your diet, then don't halfass it by switching to diet soda.

There is honestly nothing bad with diet sodas.
Drink them moderately, and you satisfy that sweet tooth of yours without actually gaining any weight.

blackflag

I agree with most of what is on here. For what it's worth, here are the five things that I find were the absolute most valuable guidelines/bits of advice:

1. fat does not make you fat. sugar makes you fat.

2. the more processed, the worse it is, in all circumstances. if it wasn't killed or fell off a tree or pulled from the ground or ocean, be suspicious and avoid if at all possible. this even applies to juice; the second you removed the pulp, you made it worse. bread is processed from grains of course.

3. when you eat lots of protein you won't be hungry. no cravings, easy diet. just absolutely make sure to pair this with water intake; people always forget that part and it's crucial.

4. figure out a set of meals that comform to the diet that you find tasty (not just passable but actually desirable). buy that shit every week. you probably think you eat a big variety of things right now, but you probably don't. have things on-hand for the rare snack attack. argue with yourself while eating the healthy thing if you must. you'll forget all about it in a few minutes.

5. use the one-day binge. it actually helps keep the metabolism from crashing, and it will help tremendously with the idea that you are "depriving" yourself. you don't deprive yourself of any food; you just time-shift it to Saturday, or whatever. makes a huge mental difference.

Good job. This is all correct. Also if you are very low carb and lift weights, the once per week all day (36 hours for me) carb binge will go to refilling muscle glycogen and will not store as fat.

artificial sweetener is bad for you in general, your body cannot process it

Several European Union countries approved aspartame in the 1980s, with EU-wide approval in 1994. The European Commission Scientific Committee on Food reviewed subsequent safety studies and reaffirmed the approval in 2002. The European Food Safety Authority reported in 2006 that the previously established Acceptable Daily Intake was appropriate, after reviewing yet another set of studies.[24]

I don't think it's bad for you in general, so long as you drink it in moderation.
Sure, if you drink several liters of it a day then it might be bad for you, but the majority of people don't do that.

Row

Banned
oh the diet soda fear mongering in full swing

it's fine, and even if it wasn't it's a hell of a lot better than the non-diet versions as far as your health goes

Love my carbs, so fuck that. I exercise several times a week and stay skinny, don't hold back on eating. I just stay away from sodas and sweets, other than that I enjoy my carbs. As long as your active you shouldn't have to be so anal about what you eat.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh, also, along with the weekly food I posted above, what (if you're going to drink) is the "best" alcohol/mixed drinks to get. I.E. which ones are going to have the least sugar, bad stuff.

Saw bourbon and club soda above, anything else? I like my beer, but am wanting to drink something a tad bit better.

Oh, also, along with the weekly food I posted above, what (if you're going to drink) is the "best" alcohol/mixed drinks to get. I.E. which ones are going to have the least sugar, bad stuff.

Saw bourbon and club soda above, anything else? I like my beer, but am wanting to drink something a tad bit better.

I buy good quality whiskey and vodka and drink it neat with ice now. I find I drink less because it's not watered down with a soda.

scy

Yes! I was hoping this thread would turn into a lite version of the Weight Loss thread. :)

It's the Cliffnotes version of the thread.

Just chiming in with more low-carb support. And I'd like to note that many of us do have a cheat day so some of the claims of "Well on my diet I can still do this weekly" is just kind of silly :x A lot of low-carbers do that too. I've pushed mine to every other week just since I haven't really needed it that often.

...but, ultimately, "what works works" is probably the best advice. For a lot of people, low-carbing is what worked when everything else didn't; for others, that's not the case.

LosDaddie

Banned
Can you guys give more details about what daily exercise should be?

Say I do a few sets of 1 min plank, some side planks, some pushups, crunches, then a ~10 min jog around the block. This would be about 20 mins of exercise. Is that enough to satisfy a day of exercising? I usually do this workout when I don't go to the gym for a grueling ~40 mins with my trainer twice a week.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be much of a workout. Just enough to get a good sweat going, and your muscles to feel like they been "used".

I get up about 30min early each morning to do 3 sets of pull-ups, followed quickly with push-ups, then free-standing squats, then go for a 1.5mi jog around my neighborhood. Takes ~30min and it's great start to my day. :)

There is honestly nothing bad with diet sodas..

REad the ingredients. Again, just because they lack carbs doesn't magically make them healthy. Don't halfass it. Eliminate all sodas, and switch to water. Have a Cheat Day, like I do, if you want to satisfy that sweet tooth of yours...and actually have real soda. :)

If by process it, you mean break it down and use it as an energy source, you're right. And that's why they're so good.

You mean just like a body does with carbs? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom