• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(USATODAY) Low-carb diet burns the most calories in small study

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Losing 6 pounds in a week is incredibly unhealthy.

Please do educate us on why losing x pounds in y period of time is unhealthy? What's the threshold?

If you're starving yourself to achieve accelerated weight loss, then obviously that's not good. Not only can you not dictate the pace at which you lose weight in any given time period, but there isn't any universal "healthy pace" in the first place.

Here's a guide to what's a carb:

Does it taste good, or is something you want to eat?

It's a carb.

I just had a rib-eye steak, a few pieces of BBQ pork, some baby tomatoes and a few almonds for dinner. It was absolutely delicious.

slit

Totally possible. Unless there is some way that gas is passing through my body without my knowing it and without creating any smell.

There is gas coming out of you, as you would be dead otherwise. It could be coming out at night when you sleep and through your poo but it's coming out of your intestinal tract. The frequency, smell, and sound differ but you expel gas. No getting around it.

Here's a guide to what's a carb:

Does it taste good, or is something you want to eat?

It's a carb.

Ktsl9.jpg

tuffl.jpg

ajTc0.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There is gas coming out of you, as you would be dead otherwise. It could be coming out at night when you sleep and through your poo but it's coming out of your intestinal tract. The frequency, smell, and sound differ but you expel gas. No getting around it.

That's perfectly fine. I'll revise my comment to say that I no longer consciously fart. I used to be fairly gassy before I gave up eating garbage, but I no longer pass any gas that I, or anyone around me, can actually notice.

No but seriously, I'm a college student. I need to get plastered at least once a week. Are screwdrivers a good choice over beer?

Could I get a list of this? I don't even know of a world without carbs.
I'm making this up, but this would be typical for me:

MONDAY
Breakfast: Smoked salmon and eggs
Lunch: Stir-fried chicken and peppers
Dinner: Ribeye steak and spinach

TUESDAY
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
Lunch: Tuna on a low-carb flatbread wrap with some almonds
Dinner: Pork chop with beans or peas

WEDNESDAY
Breakfast: Ham and cheese omelette
Lunch: Split pea and ham soup
Dinner: Roast chicken and creamed spinach

THURSDAY
Breakfast: Chicken sausage and eggs
Lunch: Grilled cajun salmon with mixed nuts
Dinner: Italian sausage and peppers

FRIDAY
Breakfast: Some kind of egg scramble with ham and peppers
Lunch: Yellowfin tuna poke with onions and soy sauce
Dinner: Lamb chops with lentils and mushy peas

WEEKEND
Anything I want.

Aesius

This is ultra motivating for me. I tried the ultra low carb thing for three--yes, three--days last week before giving up, because I knew there was no way I could maintain it long term. However, I definitely I think I can do it short-term (around two months or so) to "jumpstart" my weight loss, and then ease into a more low-glycemic diet.

I'm 6'1", 193 lbs, and I'd like to lose 20 lbs. Tomorrow morning it begins....bacon and eggs for breakfast, spinach salad with pecans, chicken, and blue cheese for lunch, and baked chicken, zucchini, onions, and squash for dinner. It's on, motherfucker!

You can get pretty detailed with it, all I try to do is keep carbs of any kind under 100g per day (closer to 50g max ideally) and limit sugars to as close to zero as possible. So yeah, carb-heavy foods like rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, cereal are limited to very occasional treats. And sugar-heavy stuff like soda and fruit juice is out completely.

What about just regular old fruit?

Also the thing doesn't mention whether or not you can have nuts or legumes. Is it just grains and shit you avoid on a low carb diet, or do you also give up stuff like peanut butter?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is ultra motivating for me. I tried the ultra low carb thing for three--yes, three--days last week before giving up, because I knew there was no way I could maintain it long term. However, I definitely I think I can do it short-term (around two months or so) to "jumpstart" my weight loss, and then ease into a more low-glycemic diet.

I'm 6'1", 193 lbs, and I'd like to lose 20 lbs. Tomorrow morning it begins....bacon and eggs for breakfast, spinach salad with pecans, chicken, and blue cheese for lunch, and baked chicken, zucchini, onions, and squash for dinner. It's on, motherfucker!

You should really look into "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson and check out his blog, Mark's Daily Apple. His "primal" lifestyle sounds like it's right up your alley. I subscribe to a lot of the stuff he professes, too.

Going low-carb for low-carb's sake is not the answer, in my opinion. There are plenty of good foods out there that have some carbs in them, and I don't think you should deprive yourself of them. It's the grains and sugar that need to go.

Karak

All I know is, I failed miserably on several low-fat calorie-controlled diets, then dropped 60lbs on a low-carb diet and have kept it off for a year so far. Low-carb FTW.

I lost 130 originally and have kept it off for 10+ years. Its great.

Karak

Elaborate? I'd love to lose about 30-40 pounds but always assumed that a low carb diet wasn't the healthiest/most practical way to go about it.

Any diet can be unhealthy and have unhealthy traits and foods involved, yes even lowfat, even vegan.

Atkins, or lowcarb, or whatever the 80th derivative is, is unhealthy if you allow it to be.
I for sure have done that and then went back to something more balanced. For me the changes have been drastic. Just incredible. It became something where I don't want sweets or a ton of carbs, not because I have forced them out, but because low carb seems to remove my real desire for food, even the psychological reward that food can offer. Its like removing a fucking weighty collar from your neck.

Food becomes nothing more than sustenance and you can move on to things that actually matter in life. At least thats what it did for me.

Aesius

You should really look into "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson and check out his blog, Mark's Daily Apple. His "primal" lifestyle sounds like it's right up your alley. I subscribe to a lot of the stuff he professes, too.

Going low-carb for low-carb's sake is not the answer, in my opinion. There are plenty of good foods out there that have some carbs in them, and I don't think you should deprive yourself of them. It's the grains and sugar that need to go.

Yeah, I'm not totally against carbs either. However, I'm more than willing to make major short-term sacrifices to start shedding pounds as quickly as possible. Plus, I happen to prefer most low-carb foods over other choices. Beer will be a tough one to cut out, though, simply for the social aspect.

What about just regular old fruit?

Also the thing doesn't mention whether or not you can have nuts or legumes. Is it just grains and shit you avoid on a low carb diet, or do you also give up stuff like peanut butter?
You can have all those things, fruit you're supposed to to moderate somewhat because of the sugar content. I have no idea about peanut butter as I don't eat it myself.

Kosmo

Banned
Of course it does. It only makes sense that we should be eating things that, generally, we find in nature - not processed foods (including bread and pasta).

kunonabi

Man...that last line

If only it was that easy.

At least low carb diets are finally getting some acceptance. It's funny they're still worried about cardiovascular problems.

Well considering my dad has cardiovascular problems and a stint in his heart right now I don't find low carb diets all that funny.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming his condition was developed by being on a low carb diet?

I'm willing to bet 1. his dad was not on a low-carb diet, and 2. his condition has nothing to do with the amount of fat and cholesterol he was consuming.

Karak

Sucks about the posters dad. My father and mother have been low carb pretty much since Atkins releases his first book and are in freaking amazing shape, and I have been for 10+ years and everything in my bloodwork(tested once a month to check for something unrelated) are amazing. I made a believer of the doc. HDL, LDL everything is great.

Weird.

kaskade

Your best bet is to cycle your carbs. Go a few days staying pretty low then have a binge day. Also the biggest thing is calorie count. You need to eat less than you need to lose weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom