• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(USATODAY) Low-carb diet burns the most calories in small study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-06-27/calories-low-carb-weight-loss/55843134/1
The research finds that dieters who were trying to maintain their weight loss burned significantly more calories eating a low-carb diet than they did eating a low-fat diet.

But some experts say these findings are very preliminary.

The study, funded by the National Institutes of Health, was designed to see if changing the type of diet people consumed helped with weight maintenance because dieters often regain lost weight.

So scientists had 21 obese participants, ages 18 to 40, lose 10% to 15% of their initial body weight (about 30 pounds). After their weight had stabilized, each participant followed one of three different diets for four weeks. Participants were fed food that was prepared for them by diet experts. The dieters were admitted to the hospital four times for medical and metabolic testing.
The diets had the same number of calories, but the fat, protein and carbohydrate content varied. Those diets:

•A low-fat diet which was about 20% of calories from fat and emphasized whole-grain products and fruits and vegetables.

•A low-carb diet, similar to the Atkins diet, with only 10% of calories from carbohydrates. It emphasized fish, chicken, beef, eggs, cheese, some vegetables and fruits while eliminating foods such as breads, pasta, potatoes and starchy vegetables.

•A low-glycemic index diet, similar to a Mediterranean diet, made up of vegetables, fruit, beans, healthy fats (olive oil, nuts) and mostly healthy grains (old-fashioned oats, brown rice). These foods digest more slowly, helping to keep blood sugar and hormones stable after the meal.

Findings, published in this week's Journal of the American Medical Association: Participants burned about 300 calories more a day on a low-carb diet than they did on a low-fat diet. "That's the amount you'd burn off in an hour of moderate intensity physical activity without lifting a finger," says senior author David Ludwig, director of the New Balance Foundation Obesity Prevention Center at Boston Children's Hospital.

"Participants burned 150 calories more on the low-glycemic index diet than the low-fat diet. That's about an hour of light physical activity," he says.

The reason for the low-carb advantage is unclear, he says.

"We think the low-carb and low-glycemic index diets, by not causing the surge and crash in blood sugar, don't trigger the starvation response. When the body thinks it's starving, it turns down metabolism to conserve energy," he says.

The authors note a downside to the low-carb diet: It appears to raise some risk factors for heart disease.

Ludwig says that restricting carbohydrates over the long term may be hard for many people. If you're trying to lose weight, "you can get a jump start with a low-carb diet, but over the long term, a low-glycemic index diet may be better than severely restricting carbohydrates."

"The low-glycemic index diet seems to be the happy medium," says Cara Ebbeling, associate director of the Obesity Prevention Center. "It didn't slow metabolism as much as the low-fat diet, and it didn't seem to have some of the negative effects on cardiovascular disease risk."

On a low-glycemic index diet, you would avoid highly processed carbs such as white bread, white rice, many snack foods, prepared breakfast cereals, sugary desserts and sugary beverages, she says.

Experts had different responses to the findings.

George Bray, an obesity researcher at Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge who has also studied this topic and who wrote the accompanying editorial in JAMA, says that other studies "show that you can do well on any diet as long as you stick to it. Adherence is the major key for weight loss and maintenance. There is no magic in any diet."

Eric Westman, a Duke University researcher who has conducted several studies on the low-carb diet and is co-author of The New Atkins for a New You, says this study documents that the "lower the carbohydrates, the better the metabolic effects. People burn more calories if they eat fewer carbohydrates."

Marion Nestle, a nutrition professor at New York University, says longer studies conducted among people in their own environments, not with such controlled meals, have shown "little difference in weight loss and maintenance between one kind of diet and another." More research is needed to show that interesting results like these are applicable in real life, she says.

"In the meantime, if you want to lose weight, eat less."

Here’s a look at the three types of diets used in the new study:

A low-fat diet, which is about 20% of calories from fat, 60% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein. It emphasizes whole-grain products and fruits and vegetables and cuts way back on oils, nuts, fatty meats and other high-fat foods.

A low-carb diet, similar to the Atkins diet, with only 10% of calories from carbohydrates, 30% from protein, 60% from fat. This diet emphasizes beef, fish, chicken, eggs, cheese, some vegetables and fruits while slashing the consumption of breads, pasta, potatoes, rice, cakes, cookies and starchy vegetables.

A low-glycemic index diet, similar to a Mediterranean diet, is made up of vegetables, fruit, beans, healthy fats (olive oil, nuts) and mostly healthy grains (old-fashioned oats, brown rice). It gets about 40% of daily calories from carbohydrates, 40% from fat and 20% from protein.

Source: Journal of the American Medical Association

Seguin

Banned
Man...that last line

"In the meantime, if you want to lose weight, eat less.

If only it was that easy.

At least low carb diets are finally getting some acceptance. It's funny they're still worried about cardiovascular problems.

All I know is, I failed miserably on several low-fat calorie-controlled diets, then dropped 60lbs on a low-carb diet and have kept it off for a year so far. Low-carb FTW.

Just started a low-carb diet. Seems mad easy so far. Is it really just as simple as being like "lol bread, pasta, crackers, etc" ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hasn't this been common knowledge for a while?

Maybe for you, but a large percentage of the population are still under the impression that fat and cholesterol are to be avoided at all costs, and that such a thing as "healthy whole grains" exists.

z6t47.gif

gatti-man

Yup. I diet every once and a while. Eat every 2 1/2-4 hours 250-300 calories at a time, lots of water, low carb and lose 1/4 to 1/2 a pound a day. So easy.

Just started a low-carb diet. Seems mad easy so far. Is it really just as simple as being like "lol bread, pasta, crackers" etc.
You can get pretty detailed with it, all I try to do is keep carbs of any kind under 100g per day (closer to 50g max ideally) and limit sugars to as close to zero as possible. So yeah, carb-heavy foods like rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, cereal are limited to very occasional treats. And sugar-heavy stuff like soda and fruit juice is out completely.

All I know is, I failed miserably on several low-fat calorie-controlled diets, then dropped 60lbs on a low-carb diet and have kept it off for a year so far. Low-carb FTW.
As pro-science as I am, I think it's hilarious that this is still an area of controversy in the medical community. If you've actually had weight problems and tried multiple diets faithfully, it's pretty clear which one works best.

Maybe for you, but a large percentage of the population are still under the impression that fat and cholesterol are to be avoided at all costs, and that such a thing as "healthy whole grains" exists.
It all goes back to that first time someone equated the dietary unit, "fat", with being overweight.

Isnt atkins no carb? No carb is way tougher than low carb and has the same results in my experience.
No, the Atkins approach heavily restricts carbs in the first few weeks, then allows you to gradually increase your carb intake. Even at maintenance you're eating way fewer carbs than normal though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The lowest I ever got in terms of bodyfat was on a low carb diet. I don't need a study to tell me it works.

"Participants burned 150 calories more on the low-glycemic index diet than the low-fat diet. That's about an hour of light physical activity," he says.

I could live with one extra hour of light physical activity in order to enjoy a little more carby food items.

Anyone else?

gatti-man

I've got an idea for how to lose weight and it is pro carb!

Fucking exercise daily people.

Im 33 and always had a relativy slow metabolism. Daily excersize allows me to maintain my weight not lose any. Dieting plus excersize is needed for some.

I've tried simple calorie counting diets before and I haven't had a ton of success but this time I've been limiting my carbs and calories and I've been losing weight consistently over the last 10 weeks. I don't know the science behind it. All I know is that it is working for me.

Subitai

Double blind selection on random sample?

Nope.

Just shows what works is what you believe in. I demand more research.

Xeke

Banned
Im 33 and always had a relativy slow metabolism. Daily excersize allows me to maintain my weight not lose any. Dieting plus excersize is needed for some.

So? Make yourself lose weight through exercise. If you are just maintaining from what you are doing now do more.

I could live with one extra hour of light physical activity in order to enjoy a little more carby food items.

Anyone else?
The problem is most people don't make that trade, they just eat the carbs. They (perhaps quite rightly) figure that an hour walking on a treadmill isn't worth a slice and a half of bread.

LosDaddie

Banned
WeightLoss-GAF Assemble!

This news is not surprising. Low carb isn't the only way to go, but it can be very effective. If you're exercising regularly, a small amount of carbs are good for you.

BigDug13

Isnt atkins no carb? No carb is way tougher than low carb and has the same results in my experience.

Not "no" carb, but the intent is to shock your body by dropping down to like 20 grams or less of carbs a day for the first two weeks. Then you raise it up each week with your body still in "carb deprived" burning mode. You need some carbs. You don't want all your muscle mass to get eaten up.

Ripclawe

Banned
trying less carbs (115G) a day with protein intake at bodyweight (255) and the rest fat while trying to do a Big but boring 5/3/1 workout...

a month in and I can see some loss of fat except the stomach and more muscle and losing 2 pounds.. meh

If no-carb is a no-no what's a good simple way (or food) to get that 50g-100g a day? I'm not the most organized person so I'd get better results with a dead simple approach.

So? Make yourself lose weight through exercise. If you are just maintaining from what you are doing now do more.

I work in an office 9 hours a day and I have a 45 min commute but I still set aside time to jog each evening when I get home. It's not enough though. I don't lose weight with just exercise anymore. Diet and exercise is the only reasonable way, in my opinion, that I can lose weight.

My limited knowledge of low carb is that your metabolism has to go into ketosis right?

I was wondering, how hard is it to reach that critical point of ketosis? Do you really have to cut out anything carb? Or is just leaving your bread/rice/potato's/... behind enough to have an effect?

Piecake

Just started a low-carb diet. Seems mad easy so far. Is it really just as simple as being like "lol bread, pasta, crackers, etc" ?

three simple rules

No (or very few) grain, NO sugar, and No (or very few) processed foods

My limited knowledge of low carb is that your metabolism has to go into ketosis right?

I was wondering, how hard is it to reach that critical point of ketosis? Do you really have to cut out anything carb? Or is just leaving your bread/rice/potato's/... behind enough to have an effect?

No, Ketosis isnt necessary to lose weight. I lost about 25 pounds (dont really need to lose more) just cutting grains and sugars. I still eat plenty of dairy and fruits, which definitely does not put me in ketosis

Xeke

Banned
I work in an office 9 hours a day and I have a 45 min commute but I still set aside time to jog each evening when I get home. It's not enough though. I don't lose weight with just exercise anymore. Diet and exercise is the only reasonable way, in my opinion, that I can lose weight.

I'm in the same boat yo. Wake up a half an hour early and do pushups and situps. Run 5 miles every day and just eat less.

I hate the attack against food that dieters have. Brown rice is not unhealthy. Carbs are not unhealthy. Maybe not conducive to quick weight loss but not unhealthy.

Moderation in all things.

You don't have to but it is generally much more effective. Atkins shoots to have you find the max amount of carbs you can eat and still be in ketosis (this is during phase 2). For some people they can stay in ketosis under 80g of carbs, but most need to be around 40-60. Under 20 is nearly 100% (I want to say 100% but I imagine there HAS to be some people that simply can't get into it for whatever reason) go into ketosis, thus what phase 1 of atkins is all about.

Piecake

I'm in the same boat yo. Wake up a half an hour early and do pushups and situps. Run 5 miles every day and just eat less.

I hate the attack against food that dieters have. Brown rice is not unhealthy. Carbs are not unhealthy. Maybe not conducive to quick weight loss but not unhealthy.

Thats a lot more work than I want to put in when I can simply just cut grains and sugars and be done with it. Frankly, I dont miss grains AT ALL. And on the off chance I do eat grains, they make me feel incredibly bloated and craptacular. No thanks

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You're full of it, but you can keep believing whatever you want. There is plenty of reason to believe that consuming grains is simply not healthy in more ways than promoting weight gain (which again, is not healthy).

I hope you enjoy waking up early every single day for the rest of your life for some cardio so you can continue to moderate! I'll take the extra sleep.

rezuth

So what do you eat instead of carbs? They're so cheap and accessible. I can imagine its quite hard for poor people to cut them out.

Xeke

Banned
Thats a lot more work than I want to put in when I can simply just cut grains and sugars and be done with it. Frankly, I dont miss grains AT ALL. And on the off chance I do eat grains, they make me feel incredibly bloated and craptacular. No thanks

If it works for you I guess. I have a hard time understanding how somebody can't miss bread, pasta and rice but to each their own I guess. Pizza is something I could NEVER live without.

ou're full of it, but you can keep believing whatever you want. There is plenty of reason to believe that consuming grains is simply not healthy in more ways than promoting weight gain (which again, is not healthy).

Yes because we all know that the Japanese and Chinese are the least healthy nations on earth because of the massive amounts of rice they eat...Wait.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Man...that last line

If only it was that easy.

At least low carb diets are finally getting some acceptance. It's funny they're still worried about cardiovascular problems.

Every damn time. Number of calories consumed is a derivative of the real problem: Hunger. Eat foods that reduce hunger, and you coast to your goal and it's sustainable. Body regulates this stuff, it just needs the right stimuli.

One of the reasons why I think low carb works pretty well is because it eliminates highly rewarding foods from the diet. Most people overconsume stuff like chips, pizza, pasta, chinese fast food, but not so much steak, cheese. However some low carbers are pretty creative and undo the benefits of the low reward with stuff like pepperoni cheese melts and atkins endulge candy.

You don't need to be in ketosis, but for some it reduces hunger.

I wouldn't do prolonged ketosis and exercise. Stresses the body beyond calories/body fat.

There's an interesting section towards the end of Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat, about how long it takes for some people to no longer crave carbs and it was 18 months I want to say of relatively low carb. I have to say that's about how long it took me but I seriously don't crave carbs anymore as well. I'll still enjoy something every once in a while but I don't find myself really needing them anymore. And I feel like absolute shit after eating any significant amount for more than just one meal and never find the carbs to be worth it really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom