• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US National Academies of Science major report finds GMOs are not harmful to health

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
The NAS was created by an act of congress and provides major study and reporting in the public interest

I get pretty bothered by fear-mongering and ignorant marketing that tries to imply GMOs are potentially unhealthy and think less of people who purport these claims. Chipotle. Actually, any product saying non-GMO pisses me off a bit but they are just capitalizing on ignorance.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ce-report-genetically-modified-food/84458872/
Genetically engineered crops are safe for humans and animals to eat and have not caused increases in cancer, obesity, gastrointestinal illnesses, kidney disease, autism or allergies, an exhaustive report from the National Academies of Science released Tuesday found.

Work on the 388-page report began two years ago and was conducted by a committee of more than 50 scientists, researchers and agricultural and industry experts convened by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. It reviewed more than 900 studies and data covering the 20 years since genetically modified crops were first introduced.

Overall, genetically engineered (GE) crops saved farmers in the United States money but didn’t appear to increase crop yields. They have lowered pest populations in some areas, especially in the Midwest but increased the number of herbicide-resistant weeds in others. There’s also no evidence that GE crops have affected the population of monarch butterflies, the report said.

The review was thorough and systemic, assessing many of the issues that have been raised about genetically engineered crops over the years, said Gregory Jaffe, director of biotechnology at the non-profit watchdog group the Center for Science in the Public Interest in Washington D.C. The group was not involved in the report's creation.

MGrant

But chemicals. In our food.

297780.gif

HUELEN10

I don't usually are posts like these, but...

DUH

I am so, so glad this happened though, maybe people will start listening to reason?

reckless

Won't matter people against GMOs will just say they're shills or something. There's a reason plenty of people are still climate change deniers after countless studies.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't usually are posts like these, but...

DUH

I am so, so glad this happened though, maybe people will start listening to reason?

When Food Science becomes more reliable? I wouldn't be surprised if they came back in a decade or so and said 'stop doing this' like they have so many times in the past in regards to what is and isn't healthy for you.

A really interesting, comprehensive report tbh. It even takes to task some of the more common claims that defenders of GMO science make, like that it increases crop yields (it doesn't, according to this report).

But yes, yet another scientific body confirming what every other relevant scientific body has confirmed for decades now regarding potential health issues. Obviously that will be the big headline, but there were a bunch of other important findings as well.

edit: waiting for KINI to read and weigh in

BigDug13

A really interesting, comprehensive report tbh. It even takes to task some of the more common claims that defenders of GMO science make, like that it increases crop yields (it doesn't, according to this report).

But yes, yet another scientific body confirming what every other relevant scientific body has confirmed for decades now regarding potential health issues. Obviously that will be the big headline, but there were a bunch of other important findings as well.

edit: waiting for KINI to read and weigh in

The plants might produce just as much fruit, but the fruits themselves won't be as useful. Here's a non-GMO watermelon.
wild-watermelon.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom