• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjontrix

FYI - Enkko.com has their replacement N64 analog sticks and bowls available for pre-order. It seems like a perfect means to restore your N64 analog sticks.

And they're making the gears too.
Complete kits soon.gif

Cant wait to replace my controllers.

Peltz

It'd be nice if a company would manufacture a new controller with the improvements found in current controllers today.

I managed to score an almost never used jungle green N64 controller and console from a law school friend who was cleaning out her parent's place. The difference in quality between that analogue stick and the stick on my other N64 controllers is insane. It's super-stiff, and has as much fidelity in control as a modern joystick in my opinion. The deadzone may be a millimeter larger than the analogue stick of a brand new GCN controller.

I wonder how many more amazing second-hand N64 controllers would be out there if the first Mario Party with its stick-destroying mini games never came out. I could easily play any game with a loose N64 analogue stick though. I can even pull off all the moves I want in Smash rather easily. In fact, "broken in" N64 sticks are a bit underrated. But there's something luxurious about the stick before it gets broken in that is definitely lost with age.

I managed to score an almost never used jungle green N64 controller and console from a law school friend who was cleaning out her parent's place. The difference in quality between that analogue stick and the stick on my other N64 controllers is insane. It's super-stiff, and has as much fidelity in control as a modern joystick in my opinion. The deadzone may be a millimeter larger than the analogue stick of a brand new GCN controller.

I wonder how many more amazing second-hand N64 controllers would be out there if the first Mario Party with its stick-destroying mini games never came out. I could easily play any game with a loose N64 analogue stick though. I can even pull off all the moves I want in Smash rather easily. In fact, "broken in" N64 sticks are a bit underrated. But there's something luxurious about the stick before it gets broken in that is definitely lost with age.

Nice find! I've managed to go through a couple of second hand DualShock 2s that have gone bad on me. I finally have a decent pair of them, but I wonder if I should still spring out for a new one as a backup. But they are $45+ in new condition, which is a bit high for a 6th gen controller.

Peltz

Nice find! I've managed to go through a couple of second hand DualShock 2s that have gone bad on me. I finally have a decent pair of them, but I wonder if I should still spring out for a new one as a backup. But they are $45+ in new condition, which is a bit high for a 6th gen controller.

That's not that bad a price and honestly worth it. I sprung for an all new PS2 and additional sealed DS2 a few years ago and it was money well spent. Especially when you consider how much factory sealed current gen controllers cost and the fact that they are no longer being produced and can play the entire PS1 library as well.

Try picking up factory sealed N64 pads and you'll easily be paying 3 digits in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom