• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaJay

You need a program like OBS to be able to live stream. As for the question, I think the latter might work better since the sync strike needs scart in and vga out.

Ah, gotcha.

Hell, as soon as I get my setup running, I'll do a livestream guide for dummies, since I'm so clueless at this point.

Mega

Banned
they really needed some pixel-perfect modes on Wii U's vWii.

You'd think a company with billions of dollars would know that nearest neighbor would cover their scaling needs best or at least better than what they implemented. Guess they just don't care.

It's both of these. The vWii images have strange horizontal resolutions that don't match up with 256x240 or any horizontal integer. The 480p image scales down to 279x240 (1.09x horizontal scale). The 1080p image scales down to 304x240 (1.1875x h scale).

I think it's a safe bet that the picture looks bad because it's scaled and filtered twice. At 480p for example: 2x integer scale with bilinear filtering, then a second non-integer horizontal stretch with more filtering for who the hell knows what reason.

In contrast, the Hi-Def 1080p image scales down to 320x240, because my settings are at 5:4 or 1.25x horizontal scale. Reversed in Photoshop it gives back a clean 256x240 image.

Timu

Ah, gotcha.

Hell, as soon as I get my setup running, I'll do a livestream guide for dummies, since I'm so clueless at this point.
I never live stream though I thought about doing it at one point. I takes some time to learn but once you do it it's not so bad, becomes easy even.

televator

So from what I've managed to read on the web and from my own observation of the way PS3 handles video (not just games), the PS3 uses nearest neighbor scaling. Even on video samples on my BD calibration disc, the PS3 has aliasing on diagonal lines.

Also of note: The PS3 passes the 2:2 and 2:3:2:3 cadence deinterlacing very well

slammer

So I've written an E-Mail to Eizo regarding nearest neighbor scaling. I got a reply that said that he sends it to the engineers in Japan. As he is sure there are many retro gamers in Japan, maybe they are considering it in the future :) Would love to get a firmware update on my FS2735 to let me choose between bilinear and nearest neighbor.

slammer

Okay, just clearing up a bit of confusion that seemed to be conflating integer scaling with nearest neighbor.

Also the Hi Def and Ultra HDMI mods have 720p modes, so you should be fine in regards to integer scaling on your 1440p monitor.

Oh sorry I was mixing up those terms. You're right with everything you said. Of course the FS2735 does integer, but with bilinear, not NN. So hopefully it will be implemented someday.

So I've written an E-Mail to Eizo regarding nearest neighbor scaling. I got a reply that said that he sends it to the engineers in Japan. As he is sure there are many retro gamers in Japan, maybe they are considering it in the future :) Would love to get a firmware update on my FS2735 to let me choose between bilinear and nearest neighbor.
Nice. I hope they listen.

Mega

Banned

I wish all TV and monitor manufacturers gave you this option. Also Nvidia and AMD with their video cards.

I thought Mega was working on a new thread, until I realized this was a joke:

I will make the new thread. The OP will consist entirely of several dozen ultra high-resolution photos. I will make sure that whoever dares enter the thread pays a very high (bandwidth) price and is serious about being here.

Mega

Banned
lol yeah a few thought I was serious for some reason.

I can start the thread, reserve the first couple of posts, add content (or copy/paste old stuff in this OT) as time goes on and we can all just start using the new thread. Is that alright? If someone feels they want to do it instead or already has content lined up, please go ahead. Not trying to step on anyone's toes.

TeaJay

Which SCART switchbox do you own? Are you happy with it?

I'm in the market for one...

I have the Joytech AV Control center 2 (although the white version) which is excellent. 5xRGB scart and other connections as well, plus a remote.

UCDFoJa.jpg

Peltz

lol yeah a few thought I was serious for some reason.

I can start the thread, reserve the first couple of posts, add content (or copy/paste old stuff in this OT) as time goes on and we can all just start using the new thread. Is that alright? If someone feels they want to do it instead or already has content lined up, please go ahead. Not trying to step on anyone's toes.

Do it! What are you gonna call it? Edit:

Here were my best attempts:

RetroSexuals |OT2| SCART, Screens, Scaling, and Scanline Sexiness

Retro Gaming Done Right |OT2| I can see clearly now that the rainbow-effect is gone

Retro Gaming Done Right |OT2| Low res CRTs + Upscale people

Retro Gaming Done Right |OT2| Why Can't Metroid Dot Crawl?

Retro Image Quality |OT2| Goodbye Composhit Hello Rabbithole

Edit:

Lol

Mega

Banned
Peltz, I think some of us agreed on Retro AV Club

So maybe

The Retro AV Club |OT2| stuff (nothing overtly assholish)

If you intend to support the next thread through its lifespan, go for it!

This thread was started in 2013. I've been here for the past year and don't intend to bail, but no promises about 2020! I'll get on it tonight, heading out for the day.

Peltz

Peltz, I think some of us agreed on Retro AV Club

So maybe

The Retro AV Club |OT2| stuff (nothing overtly assholish)

This thread was started in 2013. I've been here for the past year and don't intend to bail, but no promises about 2020! I'll get on it tonight, heading out for the day.

I love it. Retro AV Club totally fits and kicks ass.

It's also a more expansive title that invites new types of discussion. We really should delve into our speaker setups and sound stuff in the next thread (in addition to all the other cool stuff we already discuss).

What about using a variation of the "Retro gaming done right" tag line again?

Retro AV Club |OT2| Classic gaming done right

Retro AV Club |OT2| Vintage gaming in modern times

Something like that

I love it. Retro AV Club totally fits and kicks ass.

It's also a more expansive title that invites new types of discussion. We really should delve into our speaker setups and sound stuff in the next thread (in addition to all the other cool stuff we already discuss).

Let's do it! I'm currently pumping everything through the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer, connected to a Denon receiver. I want to add some floor speakers too for some 5.1 action.

Mega

Banned
sorry to annoyingly ask again, but would anyone recommend the Tomee S-video cable for GNC or another alternative?

The ones with a composite line may be trouble. Get the Cinpel S-Video cable on Amazon. To my eye, it's indistinguishable from the quality offered by the official cable.

The ones with a composite line may be trouble. Get the Cinpel S-Video cable on Amazon. To my eye, it's indistinguishable from the quality offered by the official cable.

sorry to annoyingly ask again, but would anyone recommend the Tomee S-video cable for GNC or another alternative?

I've never found a non Nintendo brand S-video cable that didn't have a slight audio buzzing, and I've tried both of these cables. The picture quality is fine on the Cinpel though. Avoid the Tomee.

Ashby

Should PVMs have overscan tweaked? I loaded up 240p Test Suite and this image:

Shadow.gif

had the upper right corner a bit cut off (I didn't get the A13 text on my monitor). Looks like I can get into the service menu to adjust this but I'm afraid of screwing something up. Should I just leave it?

Mega

Banned
Subscribed! Waiting to see if you're going to reserve any more of the first posts before I say something witty, haha.

I got the first three in addition to the main post. That should be enough.

If anyone has suggestions of future content to add, PM me or respond in thread.

anaron

I've never found a non Nintendo brand S-video cable that didn't have a slight audio buzzing, and I've tried both of these cables. The picture quality is fine on the Cinpel though. Avoid the Tomee.
oh ok, awesome. Thank you for replying! :)

New002

Thanks for the great thread everyone :) I was late to the party but it's been a fun learning experience revisiting all my old consoles and getting them hooked up properly.

_SAKY_

FYI - Enkko.com has their replacement N64 analog sticks and bowls available for pre-order. It seems like a perfect means to restore your N64 analog sticks.

nateify

I've had this thread in my bookmarks for a very long time as I revisited it manually for its wealth of information. I will probably keep it bookmarked for all the nuggets of information buried in the 200 pages that isn't relayed in the new OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom