• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UploadVR] Next-Gen PlayStation VR Is 4K With Foveated Rendering And Vibration Feature

Excited for PSVR2?

• Total voters

Tygeezy

I agree with him. Most of the best VR games I played were flat screen ports: Skyrim, No Man's Sky, Drive Club, Resident Evil 7. Indie games built for VR are nice, but always limited in some way, be it length, graphics, content or something else. Ideally I'd like to play AAA games built for VR, but with a small install base that is asking too much. If we can get in VR all the flat games that translate well, all shooters and racers for exemple, I'll play those more than any indie.

Third person games in VR would work as well, Dreams and others demonstrate it can be done. If I could choose to play something like Demon's Souls in VR, immersed in that environment, looking up at the huge dragons flying by, I'd rarely turn on the TV.
Every first person game could have basic support for sure. It would be nice if some went the extra mile to really improve things like inventory management though. Cut scenes really suck in VR however and they are unfortunately a staple of modern high budget games. I don't mind as much when you can actually move around and interact with the environment while exposition is dumped on you, but completely taking away control of the player really sucks hard in VR and really isn't something I enjoy in flat screen gaming either.

aclar00

I honestly have to say the best experience i had with PSVR was the Call of Duty: Jackel Assault demo... i heard Ace Combat has a VR mode but never looked into it. Astro is pretty good and so is Moss.

My main gripe is that i have to push the headset with my hand to get a clear image. I also have to tighten it to the point where i can feel my freaking pulse in my temples.

With that said, here's to hoping improvements to adjusting the headset/lens, and a host of other expected upgrades. The new controllers should hopefully be miles ahead of the Move controllers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I honestly have to say the best experience i had with PSVR was the Call of Duty: Jackel Assault demo... i heard Ace Combat has a VR mode but never looked into it. Astro is pretty good and so is Moss.

My main gripe is that i have to push the headset with my hand to get a clear image. I also have to tighten it to the point where i can feel my freaking pulse in my temples.

With that said, here's to hoping improvements to adjusting the headset/lens, and a host of other expected upgrades. The new controllers should hopefully be miles ahead of the Move controllers.
Skyrim and Wipeout are also very very good in VR, especially Skyrim IMO (Robinson: Journey is also excellent).

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I don't know how I feel about PS and VR. I was pretty annoyed when VR in Resident Evil 7 was made exclusive to PSVR. Even though the game was out on PC where there was already a large community of VR users. If Sony being in the market means games from big developers having VR stripped out of PC games because of a exclusivity deals, then I want nothing to do with them. They suck.
Maybe Capcom’ intention was never to make RE7 VR so Sony funded it, therefore Sony didn’t deny PC anything they were never meant to get in the first place?

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Offer a couple of SKUs, wired with an option to go wireless. I don’t mind paying the extra to go fully wireless, whilst the wired version may make cost of entry more accessible.
I honestly think Sony will reconsider or come up with a solution. The noise from this will make them sit up and notice.

I'm nobody

Them who are not interested why did u come into the topic

Alrighty Then 2Gif GIF by memecandy

Romulus

Try angling the headset strap up very high on the back of your head where the lenses are forced down closer to your face

I have yet to try either, but you seem pretty happy about those, will just have to :).
Borderlands is great in VR, despite being a far more basic VR port than Skyrim - it's a gun in your hand, punching and slow motion BAMF time. No manual reloading, no interactivity with anything in the scenery - tbh, the flat game is that way too.

Dirt Rally 1 is also great on psvr, funded by Sony. 2 was funded by Oculus and is already too heavy on pc, so never came to PS4 VR.

I hope this idiotic whole deal of funding "VR ports" is a thing of the past once foveated rendering becomes the norm and no additional optimization work is required to get games a standard VR mode...

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I hope this idiotic whole deal of funding "VR ports" is a thing of the past once foveated rendering becomes the norm and no additional optimization work is required to get games a standard VR mode...
Foveated rendering is going to ease some of the performance optimization concerns, particularly the GPU-bound ones, but it's hardly going to be a free pass on optimizing games for VR. It's a lot of work.

What I hope, though, is that it's going to make it easier for companies to design games with both play styles in mind without having to sacrifice or scale on one end as much.

It's much easier to make a game from the ground up with both vR and non-VR in mind than it is to take a game that was designed for one and port it to the other after the fact. Even then, there is a bit of a divide between a game where VR is the target and 2D is the secondary (Trover Saves the World, Paper Beast) and games where 2D is the target and VR is the secondary (Obduction, RE7).

Last edited:
Top Bottom