• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upgrade from 1st Switch | revised or OLED

sn0man

So I have an original revision of the switch from around the first year of launch. My understanding is that the switch saw a die shrink or revision of some sort a couple few years into its life. Those are I assume solely those out in the wild at this point.
Now that the OLED model is out it’s time to decide what to do.

1st. My launch switch overheats. Namely playing games in the dock like animal crossing games the switch will lock up and say it needs to shutdown to cool off. (If I point a fan at the side of the switch it will stay cool enough to stay running.)

2nd. Switch has frame rate issues on some titles and it would be nice to fix that.

Given those two issues which of the two Switch systems should I target? I do about 80% gaming docked so docked performance is very important and screen a little less so. I will be trading my original switch to somewhere like GameStop ASAP as well (or as part of the deal) so price matters but not as much. I’ve also got a couple carrying cases for the original switch.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
There is no performance upgrade with the new switch. If you want to buy a new one, save some money and buy it. Just don't expect it to fix any issues you have.

holdmouseone

Neo Member
From what I have seen (I work with a modded Gen 1 Switch) the new ones really only offer slightly higher clock speeds, and you pretty much still have to mod it for it to have any tangible difference. Battery life is pretty much the only difference.

Does it sound like the fan on your Switch is working? I believe some Switch fans die or stop working properly sooner than others.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
So I have an original revision of the switch from around the first year of launch. My understanding is that the switch saw a die shrink or revision of some sort a couple few years into its life. Those are I assume solely those out in the wild at this point.

1st. My launch switch overheats. Namely playing games in the dock like animal crossing games the switch will lock up and say it needs to shutdown to cool off. (If I point a fan at the side of the switch it will stay cool enough to stay running.)

2nd. Switch has frame rate issues on some titles and it would be nice to fix that.

Given those two issues which of the two Switch systems should I target? I do about 80% gaming docked so docked performance is very important and screen a little less so. I will be trading my original switch to somewhere like GameStop ASAP as well (or as part of the deal) so price matters but not as much. I’ve also got a couple carrying cases for the original switch.
Buy a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of the Switch.
The new version isn't even an upgrade.
You can sell your OG model though for real good money because it can be hacked.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

lucius

Don’t trade that to GameStop since it is overheating docked someone else will just get that problem, you can describe what is happening with it then sell it people want that model to hack like what was said. I have the original model too, I kind of want the OLED and new stand but I just replaced my two broken joycons on it so seems like a waste to sell or trade it now.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wouldn’t the die shrink model be less likely to overheat?

That is not a sure thing, often times they scale the heatsink/cooling system to the rated power draw of the chip to save cost. So if they reduced power draw, they may have reduced to the cooling system footprint also.

Overheating though is not something I've seen a normal Switch do before. But as others have said, this is nothing more than a screen swapped Switch, don't buy it if you're expecting any performance increase.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Either trade it in towards it or yeah keep it. I think people should temper their expectations for the Switch OLED.

sn0man

I was actually leaning towards the pre-OLED but post die shrink system. $50 cheaper and for sure compatible with my cases and maybe uses less power to run than the bigger screen. Though docked I assume it is negligible.

The problem you're having with poor framerate is being had by every other Switch owner and will continue to be after the OLED model releases.

For anyone buying a Switch that doesn't yet have one,I'd recommend the extra $50 for the OLED screen. Just about everyone else SHOULD just stick with their current model. A lot of us won't be able to help ourselves though.

Last edited:

sn0man

Your probably right. I may just wait for an ifixit tear down to see if anything has actually changed or if it is truly a screen change.

BigBooper

NinjaBoiX

Ironically if you want to fix the second point, then you have to stay with your launch Switch since that one can be jailbroken which allows for overclocking.
OP’s switch is already shutting down regularly from overheating, I don’t think they should overclock it tbh.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
As much as I hate the lack of upgrades in the Oled model, I also think that if you really want to ditch the old one, you should get the OLED one, the bigger size and picture quality will be worth the $50. That or hold out for the eventual new model in 2029 when Nintendo finally decides to upgrade the hardware due to a competitor's launch.

is the new version the pro version with dlss? if not keep waiting. OLED best picture quality but organic such that it degrades I prefer inorganic. Best combo is like life organic and inorganic, one complementing and repairing and maintaining the other that is how ecosystems last for millions of years.

Personally i rather 8k DLSS lcd than 4k oled on tvs too. while waiting for nanorods or microleds

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendo sold the 3DS then they sold the 3DS with a bigger screen. Why are people acting outraged when the OLED switch comes out?

I think there will a “new” switch version in a similar vein to the new 3DS XL at some point.

Last edited:

Quasicat

At this point, I would trade in for the OLED model. As long as you can get that good deal at GameStop. Either way, you play docked far more than handheld so whichever one you get will be better than what you currently have now.

I had the same issue with the overheating when Animal Crossing came out. The fan would speed up like crazy where I could audibly hear it running 12 feet away in the dock…then it started clicking, but only on Animal Crossing. I picked up the red box unit and eventually a Lite and neither one of them have that issue.

Just save yourself the money and spend 20 minutes replacing the thermal paste in your Switch, it's actually a relatively easy device to work on.

If you primarily play docked then the OLED screen is kinda moot and is really the only noticeable aspect of the new model. There are no performance improvements.

Top Bottom