• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update regarding Horizon Forbidden West (PS4 versions now have entitlement to free PS5 upgrade, other games will have $10 upgrade fee)

Jaysen

Banned
Those are old releases. They havent said if they intend to price their "next gen" titles at 70 dollars. Personally i think they will.
Sony, Activision, EA, 2K are already doing this. Why would Ubisoft leave money on the table?
I mean Immortals, AC Valhalla, and the upcoming Far Cry are all 60. If they were going to do it, why not FC6?

Your biggest problem is that people are reading your posts. Like the one where you accused everyone of not being able to read…after Sony themselves admitted to saying Horizon was intended to be a free upgrade. Take the loss or not, you’re still wearing the L that Sony handed you.
Getting to play Horizon FW is the Win.
winning GIF

rolandss

Sony and Jim Ryan doing a great job torching all the goodwill with their user base they built during the PS4 gen lately. Don’t they remember the mess that was the Xbox launch year and all the negative sentiment that left with everyone? I mean I got a PS5 and never even owned an Xbox but the Series X is looking like a better choice the more and more.

$70 price is still unjustified in my opinion but good on them for making it right. I really only expected them to simply make a $10 upgrade path. Them giving it away for free is a nice bonus.
Inflation alone justifies it.

Along with the fact that unlike many 3rd parties and the competition, Sony's FP games don't rely nearly as much on MTXs.

I mean Immortals, AC Valhalla, and the upcoming Far Cry are all 60. If they were going to do it, why not FC6?
Honestly i believe Ubisoft knows that they wont get nearly as much sales on next gen. Those are all last gen titles and they all hit bargin bins quite early as well. Lets wait to see what Ubisoft does moving forward the next few years. Im curious because they seem to want to go the heavy GAAS route.

That’s true, but opposing camps have already ran with the bad news to the point it’s gained too much traction, so Sony was better off capitulating.

Not being able to secure a PS5 conveniently didn’t help the situation either for those who actually want both versions.

It’s not worth the bad press surrounding the showcase or the launch of the game.

Yeah that's basically my view on the whole thing

He'd be a dumbass to try and stand his ground regardless of whether a free upgrade was promised or not.

There was very clearly a reason for that, but some people chose to ignore it for trolling purposes.
Ok a clear reason...but the majority of xbox fanbase was still against the hike no? Cant be that clear of a reason if most didnt wanna pay up.

Last edited:
Serious question, if you get the PS5 version of a given game, do you even get to Play it on your old PS4 should the need arise?

I would prefer it if Sony just made their AAA games 70$ and offered cross buy as a feature, like they did with the ps3/vita.

No BS like pay us 10$ more so that we have someone fiddle with the config files a bit (like they did for the pro).

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
There was very clearly a reason for that, but some people chose to ignore it for trolling purposes.
The reason wasn't a good reason and people were right to criticize Microsoft for it. Raising the price of Gold so that GP Ultimate looks like a better deal by comparison was just stupid. It's not trolling to point out that doubling the price without increasing value was a blatant strong arm tactic despite the "it's just time to pay more" explanation. Especially when all of their marketing is about value.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ok a clear reason...but the majority of xbox fanbase was still against the hike no? Cant be that clear of a reason if most didnt wanna pay up.

It was to make people get off XBL Gold and get GamePass Ultimate (which includes XBL Gold). If XBL Gold is as expensive as GamePass Ultimate, you'd have to be an idiot to keep paying for something with less features.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It was to make people get off XBL Gold and get GamePass Ultimate (which includes XBL Gold). If XBL Gold is as expensive as GamePass Ultimate, you'd have to be an idiot to keep paying for something with less features.
So the righteous reason was that in order to force people to get one service they wanted to lower the value of the other one… makes sense, you are right it is technically true this is an explanation ;).

Last edited:
Not to derail this thread but i get 100 percent what youre saying. But if that message/reasoning dosent reach your fanbase than it means nada. People didnt wanna pay more its that simple. 🤷🏻‍♂️ . This thread isnt about MS its about Sony lying out their ass. Lets carry on

Jaysen

Banned
Nah Jim's just being nice and compromising for the people who couldn't read
Thats just one example of your idiocy. Sony themselves admit people read it correctly, but here you are still carrying water for Sony claiming this was a reading comprehension issue. Hold the L.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Buying Horizon Forbiden West on PS4 ( yeah you know youre getting the inferior version here) only to replay the same thing again on PS5 mustve been the most pointless thing ever in my opinion

There’s just one example of your idiocy. Sony themselves admit people read it correctly, but here you are still carrying water for Sony claiming this was a reading comprehension issue. Hold the L.

Sony is going the sensible route and damage controlling by letting people believe they were right

Doesn't change the fact that it was a comprehension issue that led to this shitstorm

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Lol so just buy ps4 version... it's way cheaper here compared to ps5 verison.
And just let me pay 10usd for death stranding update damn it
People on Gaf are tech savy and most likely want the best experience for gaming so i kinda doubt people here would bother playing this game on that 2013 Jaguar gpu machine

Last edited:

FranXico

Here is the full quote from WP:
Link

While it wasn’t mentioned in Sony’s official announcement, developers of certain games later confirmed that PS5 exclusives like “Horizon: Forbidden West” and “Spider-Man: Miles Morales” aren’t exclusive at all. They’re both releasing PS4 versions, which may irritate a few Sony fans who took to heart Sony’s commitment to “next gen” development. The belief is that developing games across generations stifles creativity, and hampers the technological ambitions of the game, since it has to cater to an audience with less powerful machines.

“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.”

So, it does seem that the names are dropped by the interviewer, not Jim Ryan. Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping has a point.
On the other hand, just like with the "we believe in generations" quote, Sony happily let people keep assuming a promise was made for that game. And Sony are aware of that, hence backtracking and covering their ass for future games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
So when will the downfall of Sony actually happen?

Seems like some people are predicting that things are going to get bad for Sony really soon but I'm currently not seeing it.

Sure things could be better but is it enough for them to fail due to that?
Nobody is saying that Sony is going to fail. That's not even what this is about.

Link

So, it does seem that the names are dropped by the interviewer, not Jim Ryan. Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping has a point.
On the other hand, just like with the "we believe in generations" quote, Sony happily let people keep assuming a promise was made for that game. And Sony are aware of that, hence backtracking and covering their ass for future games.

Yeah all i'm saying is we have two sources of info. The blogpost which is as official as you could get on their stance and doesn't promise a free upgrade for Horizon, and the WP interview which is grey one since it's just paraphrased and could easily be taken out of context or misquoted.

I'm not defending their communication. It's shit and still is shit.

It's a good thing this happened just for clear messaging alone.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Bahahaha. You think PS5 versions of games on PS4 start over from scratch? 😂
You think they don’t inspect the entire game and add new assets and/or upgrade current assets in higher resolutions? And that is only one aspect of the game they have to work on.
Can you please explain what exactly are they doing on the PS5 version? They just change the box from PS4 to PS5?

Nobody is saying that Sony is going to fail. That's not even what this is about.

Maybe I'm just getting confused with what's being said in other threads. Talk about Sony eroding their goodwill and how they have to be more consumer friendly. Seems like it's something that might affect the success of the platform.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
In their press they're saying these games are built from the ground up for PS5. If that's the case then the PS4 versions would require the extra work to downgrade and therefore should be $10 more for all of the extra effort to bring them to life.
I think they start with PS4 versions as base and then build on that. That’s my understanding.

saintjules

If you can buy a cheaper version of the game and upgrade for free, why would anyone buy the ps5 version of the game?

I think they'll cite all the reasons behind the PS5 version from a technical standpoint (framerate, graphics, etc. And gimp the PS4 version. We'll see.

I'll just pay for the PS5 version and have that case that says PS5 on it. Call it a day 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Link

Uh no, there’s a whole other quote from Sony saying it was. There’s no confusion here. And once again for people who can’t be bothered to read - Sony admit the game was going to always have a free upgrade and they only changed their mind when it got pushed to next year.

Jaysen

Banned
You think they don’t inspect the entire game and add new assets and/or upgrade current assets in higher resolutions? And that is only one aspect of the game they have to work on.
Can you please explain what exactly are they doing on the PS5 version? They just change the box from PS4 to PS5?
Do you know what “from scratch” means?

I guess Sony’s legal department told Jim Ryan there’d be a class action lawsuit coming if he didn’t give in.
Lol what? There was nothing illegal. It was just an unfriendly deal.

They are doing it because of the negative press, similar to MS backtracking on doubling the Xbox Gold price a few months back.

Concern

So why buy a PS5? 2023-2024 ps5 pro will be out ffs.

Fucking jimbo.

Exactly. No rush here, my Ps4 is well enough up until a slim, pro, or maybe even a sku with a bigger storage releases.

Only thing that might make me want to upgrade earlier would be Bloodborne 2 and I doubt thats coming anytime soon if at all.

FranXico

Uh no, there’s a whole other quote from Sony saying it was. There’s no confusion here. And once again for people who can’t be bothered to read - Sony admit the game was going to always have a free upgrade and they only changed their mind when it got pushed to next year.
And I'm not surprised if that's the case. Please share a link then.

Last edited:

soulbait

I preordered it because I loved the first one and I have a feeling this will be even better. They know what they need to fix and I think they will fix it.
Are you afraid there won't be enough copies or something? I just don't understand pre-ordering games these days.

Back in the day, it made sense to me. My local GameStop only got 5 copies of Fable, for example when it came out. Also, pre-order so you could get a game at a midnight release party made sense too. However, those days it is rare for a game to not have enough stock and/or just download digital. If it is a game I want to play day one, after the initial reviews stating about bugs or what not, I might buy the game the day before just to have it downloaded and ready to go.

I just don't understand pre-orders.

FranXico

They’re all over the original thread. This turnaround on Sony’s part didn’t just happen without receipts.
None of the other quotes from Sony in this thread explicitly mention a free upgrade for HFW, only the Washingtn Post interview I posted.

The blogpost is only explicit about launch games, and those did get free upgrades. HFW never was a launch game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom