• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update regarding Horizon Forbidden West (PS4 versions now have entitlement to free PS5 upgrade, other games will have $10 upgrade fee)

sendit

Sony is charging 70 dollars because people are willing to pay 70 dollars.
Why is Persona 5 Royal 80 dollars in Japan and 60 dollars in the US? Because people in America won't pay 80 bucks for a PS4 game.
They don't set the price based on what the budget of the game was, the price is set based on how much they think people are willing to pay.
Games don't cost 15% more to make simply because it is the PS5.

Hate to break it to you, but that 70 dollar price point isn’t exclusive to Sony.

Klik

Nice, cross gen games in 2022.

When PS5 is selling better than PS4, when at the end of 2022 it will sell even better than PS4 and by that time PS5 will be available everywhere.. Why then crossgen games in 2022.. Just to bump up their profit?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Going by the Washington Post article, 3-4 more years of support, which takes PS4 to 2023 or 2024. And with PS4/PS5 being easy to do BC, I'd say just about every big hitter till then will be cross gen. We can see it already. GOW, GT7 and Horizon FW are cross gen. I expect UC 5 to be too. And as Jim's quote "and any other exclusive game", so he knows GOW and GT7 arent the cut off.

Sony has made PS5 exclusive games across their lesser selling brands like R&C, side games like Spiderman and smaller scale games like Returnal and Destruction All Stars. But the big sellers cant turn away PS4 user base. Sales potential too high to lose.
I think GT7 and God of War will be the last PS4 Sony published games.

Dibils2k

so their dumbass greed costing them money lol good

i think if they just had a more fair $10 upgrade path from beginning there wouldn't have been such outrage

Again, you’re pretending not to know how to read.
The PlayStation blog that talked about ‘launch games’ is not the only source of information. Jim Ryan also gave an interview to Washington Post where the specifically addressed concerns about upgrade paths for Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West…and promised free upgrades to PS5. Those games were cited by name. Not a mention of ‘launch’ in that interview.

man up and admit you were wrong and move on.

Read my posts. Good lord

KungFucius

King Snowflake
If the game is gimped so it can run on both PS4 and PS5 why the fuck should anyone have to pay the 10 buck next gen tax? Cross gen is not next gen.

so their dumbass greed costing them money lol good

i think if they just had a more fair $10 upgrade path from beginning there wouldn't have been such outrage
There would still be outrage. There’s been endless bitching about $10 upgrades for like a year.
i'll be holding onto my PS4 for another few year then! no rush to buy a PS5 it seems.
Cool if that works for you. It would suck imo going back to play worst versions of the new horizon and gow at 30 fps and lower resolutions but I know that doesn’t bother other people, so it really doesn’t make sense for those that don’t care about those upgrades to get a ps5 I guess.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

When PS5 is selling better than PS4, when at the end of 2022 it will sell even better than PS4 and by that time PS5 will be available everywhere.. Why then crossgen games in 2022.. Just to bump up their profit?

There will still be more PS4s on the market.

All will be forgiven once they give us a banger of a show on thursday. Right Hasan?
MDn0dt7.jpg

Markio128

The right move was made. I’m actually tempted to get the super-duper edition, just because I have a new gaming shelf crying out for some cool models. Robotic animals/dinosaurs was, for me, the greatest gift to gaming in recent memory.

BootsLoader

Banned
Sony is charging 70 dollars because people are willing to pay 70 dollars.
Why is Persona 5 Royal 80 dollars in Japan and 60 dollars in the US? Because people in America won't pay 80 bucks for a PS4 game.
They don't set the price based on what the budget of the game was, the price is set based on how much they think people are willing to pay.
Games don't cost 15% more to make simply because it is the PS5.
You’re talking about something very different. Having different pricing in different regions is normal, depending to the region. For example Spotify has different pricing for India compared to UK.
What I was talking about is game upgrades, not different pricing per region.

Dane

At least they backtracked that, great that the consumers are being ready to answer against this shit.

CheshirexChrono

Neo Member
haha where are all the fanboys who were yesterday defending sony?

shows how pathetic some people on here are
Wouldn't call myself a fanboy, though it can be assured that you are going to.
I still find it odd that people feel entitled to a second version of a game. I guess a good analogy for this would be DVD to Blu-ray, I've never known someone to say they felt they deserved a Blu-ray copy of a movie they already own, I may sound ignorant here but what is the difference, other than players feeling they, "have a right," to one? again not trying to insight anything here, though yesterday I may have been a tad harsher in my response (I blame 4 hours of sleep and stress due to work related matters) I still hold the same opinion, in a way.

I suppose it could be my bias as an older gamer who had to rebuy all of the remakes of the last gen and even earlier having to buy the xbox 360 version of the previous generations games. I could just be an old man getting mad that people expect something I was not granted.

Jaysen

Banned
haha where are all the fanboys who were yesterday defending sony?

shows how pathetic some people on here are
If you read the thread, you’ll still see some of them desperately clinging to their defense while referring to people who forced Sony to abide by their initial promise as “entitled”.

Jaysen

Banned
I think that Sony is applying the 10$ tax on their cross gen games because the PS5 version is not a simple port, they work from the scratch on PS5 to take advantage of the new technology like DS5 support, new audio engine support and better graphics of course.
Bahahaha. You think PS5 versions of games on PS4 start over from scratch? 😂

Kerotan

Lol I bet they regret saying it would be free now. So I should just pre order for cheaper on ps4 and get the free upgrade. I've no problem paying full price for top class ps5 games but I won't say no to saving an extra tenner!

CheshirexChrono

Neo Member
Then they should get rid of the Ryan Tax. When you buy a PS5 your games shouldn't be paywalled on it.
I honestly find it ridiculous that Sony is charging more for their first party games. It will just stop consumers from buying games when they first come out, surely. It is definitely a poor business decision in my opinion, I'm sure they have analysts that have advised this business decision but I don't think it is the right one. It's just going to make players more hesitant when purchasing Sony games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think that Sony is applying the 10$ tax on their cross gen games because the PS5 version is not a simple port, they work from the scratch on PS5 to take advantage of the new technology like DS5 support, new audio engine support and better graphics of course.
In their press they're saying these games are built from the ground up for PS5. If that's the case then the PS4 versions would require the extra work to downgrade and therefore should be $10 more for all of the extra effort to bring them to life.

yurinka

We knew that there were going to be crossgen games in 2022 and 2023. From 3rd parties, from MS and from Sony. In addition to them there will be next gen only games.

A few months ago there were almost 90 million monthly active users in PS4. Even if PS5 is the fastest selling console ever in gaming history they will need several yearse to migrate the majority of their players from PS4 to PS5. So until then they will need to keep supporting PS4 with games because most of the people who buys AAA games is still playing on PS4 and will continue there for a few years. Jim Ryan explained that in the 'we believe in generations' when explaining why they planned to continue supporting PS4 for at least a couple of years more.

Last edited:
Tv Land Sword GIF by HULU

You fought and you lost warrior. Now kneel and accept it.
Again was not fighting for it to be a paid upgrade, just pointed out the verbiage and how people reacted to it. I'm glad it now doesn't cost anything though this did not affect me personally.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol so just buy ps4 version... it's way cheaper here compared to ps5 verison.
And just let me pay 10usd for death stranding update damn it

Dane

uhhh... Yes, why they wouldn't want that? Even if the last gen version sells 1/5 it would be still profitable due to the cheap cost to downgrade to it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Did you forget that EA and 2K have already priced games at 70 dollars? Ubisoft said they still have yet to decide to jump on the bandwagon.

Call of Duty as well. But the fact remains that both MS and Nintendo are sticking with $60 for first-party titles.

One could argue that Sony is leading the industry by establishing a $70 price point (that others are following now). But there's a difference between leading the industry in consumer-friendly practices and leading the industry into a wood chipper.

Lupin25

Nah Jim's just being nice and compromising for the people who couldn't read

That’s true, but opposing camps have already ran with the bad news to the point it’s gained too much traction, so Sony was better off capitulating.

Not being able to secure a PS5 conveniently didn’t help the situation either for those who actually want both versions.

It’s not worth the bad press surrounding the showcase or the launch of the game.

Jaysen

Banned
Did you forget that EA and 2K have already priced games at 70 dollars? Ubisoft said they still have yet to decide to jump on the bandwagon.
Haven’t bought a sports game in ages, so I missed them doing it. Ubisoft definitely isn’t doing it, and to reward them for not fucking me over, I bought AC Odyssey last week instead of the updated version of Ghost of Tsushima. And surprise surprise Ubisoft charged nothing extra for the bump to 60fps and 4k.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Call of Duty as well. But the fact remains that both MS and Nintendo are sticking with $60 for first-party titles.

One could argue that Sony is leading the industry by establishing a $70 price point (that others are following now). But there's a difference between leading the industry in consumer-friendly practices and leading the industry into a wood chipper.
Fuck man I’m just imagining Nintendo licking their lips at £70 pricing (currently varies from £34.99 to £49.99).

I remember 2k announcing 70 dollar price tags first. Microsoft quite frankly wasnt in a position to raise the price of its first party games. Im not even gonna go into why...you know why. Lets stop making it seem that MS is about goodwill and butterflies. They need more customers..its that simple. They're not the good guys. Theyre not your buddy. They want more active users They just tried to bump up the price of xbox gold a few months ago for no reason. And are we really gonna use NINTENDO as a pricing example? Seriously Nintendo? 🙄

CuNi

I'm confused. It's not free, it says so in the post itself. If you want a free upgrade you have to buy the special edition or higher. The normal physical one does not have a free upgrade, at least that's what's written in OPs post. Did I miss something?

Jaysen

Banned
Fuck man I’m just imagining Nintendo licking their lips at £70 pricing (currently varies from £34.99 to £49.99).
Nintendo is charging full price of updates to five year old Wii U failures. They don’t need lessons on fucking people over. And MS was set to double the price of XBL for some dumb reason. The corporations are not our friends.

Jaysen

Banned
I'm confused. It's not free, it says so in the post itself. If you want a free upgrade you have to buy the special edition or higher. The normal physical one does not have a free upgrade, at least that's what's written in OPs post. Did I miss something?
All PS4 versions are upgradable to PS5 for free. Go to Target and preorder the PS4 version for 60 bucks. Even if you only own a PS5.

Last edited:
Haven’t bought a sports game in ages, so I missed them doing it. Ubisoft definitely isn’t doing it, and to reward them for not fucking me over, I bought AC Odyssey last week instead of the updated version of Ghost of Tsushima. And surprise surprise Ubisoft charged nothing extra for the bump to 60fps and 4k.
Those are old releases. They havent said if they intend to price their "next gen" titles at 70 dollars. Personally i think they will.
Sony, Activision, EA, 2K are already doing this. Why would Ubisoft leave money on the table?

Last edited:
The $10 upgrade fee does suck, but, you could also just not buy it on PS4? Actually, you don't even need to buy it the day it comes out on PS5, wait for it to go on sale, good things come to those who wait.

Only thing that can be considered consumer friendly by these companies is providing quality games.
We know which ones lead the industry here.

Top Bottom