• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UPDATE: Fixed my PS4 Pro Fan Noise!!

S0ULZB0URNE

pcsRucV.jpg

There it is. The patient has recovered spendidly.
That is one ugly patient!
Good job though 👍

Nickolaidas

Banned
I've been meaning to research if removing the top cover would quiet it.
It has most certainly aided in reducing the noise in my case. But seriously, even though you may think the fan has little dust in its fins/wings/whatever, try cleaning them with an air spray.

Right now my Pro (with just 2 minutes work) is now 80% quieter.

Patrick S.

Banned
It has most certainly aided in reducing the noise in my case. But seriously, even though you may think the fan has little dust in its fins/wings/whatever, try cleaning them with an air spray.

Protip: Block the fan while you give it the compressed air treatment. Overspeeding the fans can screw them up.

tagliner

Neo Member
For the jet engine noise problem I unassembled my about 4 years old PS4 Pro for proper cleaning. Then I just re-molded the old thermal paste with a knife blade, reassembled the machine without the front lid leaving the fan exposed.
My PS4 Pro has been literally whisper quiet for about two months now.

p.s. No Man's Sky was the game that used to ignite the console back then. Not anymore.
Just reporting.. It has been a very hot summer and my PS4 Pro is still whisper quiet in action. I hope it survives till PS5 launch. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

It got a full blown cleaning when I replaced the fan about a month ago. It has no dust anywhere. I am a little nervous that maybe I didn't tighten the screws strong enough to the heatsink. That is very unlikely since it would have most certainly overheated with all the gaming I did on it.

Nickolaidas

Banned
It got a full blown cleaning when I replaced the fan about a month ago. It has no dust anywhere. I am a little nervous that maybe I didn't tighten the screws strong enough to the heatsink. That is very unlikely since it would have most certainly overheated with all the gaming I did on it.
I also didn't tighten the screws enough because I didn't want to risk the thermal paste getting spewed out.

My Pro is also gathering little dust compared to other cases I've seen. Yet apparently, that very thin layer of dust in the fins was all it needed to make the fan go apeshit.

Truly a sensitive piece of hardware. I hope the PS5 will be made of sterner stuff (and yeah, that was a Transformers reference).

TheUsual

Gold Member
Having a launch Pro myself, I decided to change the thermal pads and paste. System was overall not bad but it was starting to get loud in games to the point of headphones being mandatory. God of War was bad but Wolfenstein 2 is the only game where I thought my system was going to overheat.

I found this picture of where to put the replacement pads (in yellow) which was very helpful. A lot of the videos I watched of taking the system apart skimmed over this section really fast. On the side with the APU, I just put a long strip of a thermal pad over the 6 individual spots rather than 6 individual squares. Was a real pain in the ass to try to cut small square.

The back side with the ram was easy to cut into squares.

Link to the picture of you want to read more : Here

The ifixit video of disassembling was a very good video but they appear to have a newer pro as mine had a few more screws and stamped sheets to remove.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Having a launch Pro myself, I decided to change the thermal pads and paste. System was overall not bad but it was starting to get loud in games to the point of headphones being mandatory. God of War was bad but Wolfenstein 2 is the only game where I thought my system was going to overheat.

I found this picture of where to put the replacement pads (in yellow) which was very helpful. A lot of the videos I watched of taking the system apart skimmed over this section really fast. On the side with the APU, I just put a long strip of a thermal pad over the 6 individual spots rather than 6 individual squares. Was a real pain in the ass to try to cut small square.

The back side with the ram was easy to cut into squares.

Link to the picture of you want to read more : Here

The ifixit video of disassembling was a very good video but they appear to have a newer pro as mine had a few more screws and stamped sheets to remove.
I had posted the videos I used in this thread as well, a few pages back.

Trimesh

Banned
I also didn't tighten the screws enough because I didn't want to risk the thermal paste getting spewed out.

My Pro is also gathering little dust compared to other cases I've seen. Yet apparently, that very thin layer of dust in the fins was all it needed to make the fan go apeshit.

Truly a sensitive piece of hardware. I hope the PS5 will be made of sterner stuff (and yeah, that was a Transformers reference).

Depending on the fan geometry and the nature of the contamination even a relatively small amount of dirt on a fan can have a drastic effect on the amount of airflow created. In a device like a console with a servo controlled fan, this has a double negative effect- the fan will be noisier at a given speed anyway and the reduced airflow makes it run faster as well - leading to the well-known "jet engine" effect.

Fnord

I blew mine out with compressed air. Worked like a charm (and was probably well, well overdue).

I think I'm insane but I had to do it..

I bought model 7215 PS4 Pro because I just couldn't take my launch PS4 Pro's fan noise. Cleaning and thermal paste change didn't do jack shit.
The new model cost me "only" 200€ so not that bad, but still.. PS5 is just around the corner 😅

I have to say that CUH 7215 is almost whisper quiet and I'm quite shocked how big the difference is between the models. Makes me hopeful for PS5's fan volume.

I think I'm insane but I had to do it..

I bought model 7215 PS4 Pro because I just couldn't take my launch PS4 Pro's fan noise. Cleaning and thermal paste change didn't do jack shit.
The new model cost me "only" 200€ so not that bad, but still.. PS5 is just around the corner 😅

I have to say that CUH 7215 is almost whisper quiet and I'm quite shocked how big the difference is between the models. Makes me hopeful for PS5's fan volume.

That model has got to be a response to knowing there was an issue previously. I honest to god, never checked what model my pro is but its never been loud
so when I see people complain I am like "WHAT fan noise... it doesnt seem louder than my One X...." but then... I probably have the quiet one and Im laughing off
the fan noise meme because Im just not in that boat.

That said my launch PS4 , I changed the thermal paste not long after launch and I kept it high up in the room on a glass media shelf like literally 6 feet up, it never got dusty and just stayed quiet the whole time.... was still whisper quiet when I sold it off after getting the pro (which was mostly on a whim for VR)

That model has got to be a response to knowing there was an issue previously. I honest to god, never checked what model my pro is but its never been loud
so when I see people complain I am like "WHAT fan noise... it doesnt seem louder than my One X...." but then... I probably have the quiet one and Im laughing off
the fan noise meme because Im just not in that boat.

That said my launch PS4 , I changed the thermal paste not long after launch and I kept it high up in the room on a glass media shelf like literally 6 feet up, it never got dusty and just stayed quiet the whole time.... was still whisper quiet when I sold it off after getting the pro (which was mostly on a whim for VR)

I even sent my launch model to Sony when it still had warranty left. They only updated the software and didn't do anything else to it. Talk about shitty fix. You got lucky my friend !

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Saw several people saying the vertical orientation was much quieter so I built a poor man's vertical stand and it actually is much quieter I must admit. Now it is at normal pc fan level versus the jet engine it used to be.

iAJxXST.png

Top Bottom