• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until MS hit the 100 Million consoles sold mark. They ain’t shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudo

Well, if you want to get technical, Microsoft owns a platform that has more users than Nintendo and Sony ever had combined: Windows.

N30RYU

The xbox 360 wasn't to far off, I wouldn't say that console "wasn't shit" it put a massive dent in the ps3 sales figures and they ended up on par.
releasing a defective console helps a lot to sell multiple ones to a single consumer

MS will have won a console generation when they come out on top at the end.

Buying studios and introducing services are move on the board... But they are not "winning" until people buy their consoles in higher number than the competition, that probably won't happen until their studios get their act together and actually deliver amazing games... Which is of course possible, but has not happened yet.

So it's kind of like MS has made moves that make us think they could win, but it's not sure they will execute well enough to do so.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
A slightly more mature way to put it, would have been:

Microsoft are a major corporation who have arguably underperformed thus far as a video games manufacturer. And while the Bethesda acquisition is an extremely good move on their part, they have a lot of work to do to challenge the dominance that Sony and Nintendo have in the console market.

...but I guess maturity is something in short supply around here.

Orky

Banned
After this gen, no one will give a shit about sold console units. This is such an old metric. Like no one gives a shit about how many CDs someone sold or how many movie discs.
It’s all about streaming numbers and recurring revenue.

N30RYU

MS always do the same and drop the generation ball too soon... to try and get games for console launch

When 360 got no more exclusives... PS3 got TLoU... just to get XBO with Dead Rising 3, Forza and Ryse...

When XBO got no more exclusives... PS4 got TLoU2 and Tsushima... just to get what on Series X... nothing.

This send the message to me that you actually don't believe in your console and you drop the ball once you are second month to month for up to a year.

Last edited:
If XBOX was their main selling point as a company they'd probably be playing things differently, with SONY I don't think any of their divisions truly compete with their gaming division, but their partnership with Marvel on Spider-Man is helping and I'm thinking No Time to Die will be the first successful movie post-COVID (everyone should go see TENET, amazing film). They must do well with TVs, though?

sandkiller

njEn7Y2.gif
What happened to that guy's face??

LarknThe4th

This is a weird thread,

1. I would love to see Sony try and sell 60 million consoles in the post crash industry of the mid 80s, Nintendo made the modern market that they enjoy the benefits of, including that lovely license fee

2. Nintendo have already sold over 100 million "traditional" consoles with the Wii

3. Microsoft ain't going anywhere, and we as consumers are benefiting from Gamepass as a service, and the freedom and assurances that Zenimaxs studios will now have to just go crazy creatively without worrying about the bean counters

4. Halo already legitimized Microsoft as a force in this business, and the 360 cemented them as one

The Shepard

releasing a defective console helps a lot to sell multiple ones to a single consumer

Failure rate aside on the original xbox 360, it was a great console, Much better than the one imo. It had some great games and exclusives. I owned 2 xbox 360's that gen and 2 ps3's. Sony had problems with there launch units to, remember the yellow light of death? And no I'm not trying to say it's as bad as Microsofts failure rate but it was there. The slim consoles were much better in that regard.

Last edited:
Except MS’ userbase is much bigger than the «100 million console users». Α 2 years old sea of thieves, already available on pc&xbox gamepass, just sold almost 2 million copies on steam at full price. Don’t worry they will be fine even if they sell 70 million xboxes instead of 100 million.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That's nonsense even Stadia has something to say and they aren't even close to the number of cumulative hardware sold....
It's a big enough industry to be able to hear every voices....
Stadia's voice for example could be we can now confirm that Phil Harrison is cursed to always do the bad thing.
The Ouya said let's not treat our customers like pidgeon or we'll go bankrupt.
Nintendo said you can treat your customers like pigeons as long as you make good games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom