• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Video Shows Photo-Realistic Horror Game Concept

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A YouTube teaser by Matheus Morina shows what is possible on Unreal Engine 5. This 1-minute and 23-second long video takes viewers into an apartment on a stormy night. The player walks through the building and then stumbles upon a crime scene, only to realize that they are not alone. The description of the video states that it was made to showcase tests with lumen lighting, suggesting that the light illuminating the apartment is coming from light bulbs and other natural sources of lighting.

What is most impressive about the teaser, other than the lighting and sound design, is what appears to be an uncommon gameplay mechanic. When the character sprints at the end, they are not running in a straight path, as their movement reflects the fear and disoriented nature that would come from being in a high-stress situation. This gameplay mechanic, which seems to change how the player moves through the game based on the situation, adds a level of immersion that more accurately mimics an adrenaline rush and the associated fears and anxieties that come with it. PT is the most notable of recent horror games to experiment with different gameplay concepts, even though it was only a demo.

Radical_3d

If someone says "PT"...i swear to god...
harry styles mouth shut GIF

MHubert

[/URL]

A YouTube teaser by Matheus Morina shows what is possible on Unreal Engine 5. This 1-minute and 23-second long video takes viewers into an apartment on a stormy night. The player walks through the building and then stumbles upon a crime scene, only to realize that they are not alone. The description of the video states that it was made to showcase tests with lumen lighting, suggesting that the light illuminating the apartment is coming from light bulbs and other natural sources of lighting.

What is most impressive about the teaser, other than the lighting and sound design, is what appears to be an uncommon gameplay mechanic. When the character sprints at the end, they are not running in a straight path, as their movement reflects the fear and disoriented nature that would come from being in a high-stress situation. This gameplay mechanic, which seems to change how the player moves through the game based on the situation, adds a level of immersion that more accurately mimics an adrenaline rush and the associated fears and anxieties that come with it. PT is the most notable of recent horror games to experiment with different gameplay concepts, even though it was only a demo.

This sounds and might look cool, but I think there is a reason why we have so many concept trailers showing off this jason bourne camera style but no full game ever realizes it - probably because it would be a literal nightmare control scheme wise.

Looks ace, but my god that vertical format...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This sounds and might look cool, but I think there is a reason why we have so many concept trailers showing off this jason bourne camera style but no full game ever realizes it - probably because it would be a literal nightmare control scheme wise.

Looks ace, but my god that vertical format...

Yeah, that style of camera only works in VR games, where it happens naturally and doesn't actually feel "shaky" (only to those watching the VR gameplay on an external screen).

Last edited:
Top Bottom