• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

JTCx

Sony didn't DO anything today.
Or did they?

1rnbpt.jpg

Some people are gonna eat a lot of SSD crow...

You need a lot of bandwidth to feed something like this on the fly.

Awesome awesome awesome. No doubt in a complete game, part of the performance is going into AI, more animations, physics, sounds, effects and all that, but this seems to show more like the extreme version of what is possible just in the geometry/lightning aspect of the engine/console.

No actual games will look like this, but it shows up to what can be done in real time. It was goddamn fantastic, especially:
-The part where they show just the triangles. Brutal stuff.
-The room with 500 statues.
-And the outside...When I saw that..."Are they gonna show it moving through the terrain reallly fast ???" And they did.

Some cons:
-the feet were not totally touching the floor.
-The scarf and the ponytail were floating as well.
-The cockroaches showed NO shadows.
-The birds had no shadows cast on the floor as well.
-That puddle of water dynamic wave thing was reeeaaaallly bad looking.
-The framerate or the animation rate for the birds and the bats seemed weird, kind jumpy or low framerate.

All in all, veeeeery impressed. I think they are going the right way with breaking with unreal engine 4 and do something from the ground up just for next gen.
More cons:

- 30fps (video's fps, at least (don't know how it ran on the PS5 devkit))
- some visible slowdowns
- shadow pop-up (in the end just before landing on the blue portal platform)

Having said that, it feels so great to be honestly AMAZED once again by a tech demo. Goose bumps all over...

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
The lighting and level of detail are Incredible.
Yeah. But it's expected. Where are the improvements to AI and other processes not related to the graphical fidelity? That was a big deal a couple generations ago. Now it's like they've given up on that and only care about improving the textures, lighting, animations, etc.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

Awesome awesome awesome. No doubt in a complete game, part of the performance is going into AI, more animations, physics, sounds, effects and all that, but this seems to show more like the extreme version of what is possible just in the geometry/lightning aspect of the engine/console.

No actual games will look like this, but it shows up to what can be done in real time. It was goddamn fantastic, especially:
-The part where they show just the triangles. Brutal stuff.
-The room with 500 statues.
-And the outside...When I saw that..."Are they gonna show it moving through the terrain reallly fast ???" And they did.

Some cons:
-the feet were not totally touching the floor.
-The scarf and the ponytail were floating as well.
-The cockroaches showed NO shadows.
-The birds had no shadows cast on the floor as well.
-That puddle of water dynamic wave thing was reeeaaaallly bad looking.
-The framerate or the animation rate for the birds and the bats seemed weird, kind jumpy or low framerate.

All in all, veeeeery impressed. I think they are going the right way with breaking with unreal engine 4 and do something from the ground up just for next gen.

SSD war is real. I can’t deny it after this

Last edited:

GenericUser

The lighting and level of detail are Incredible.
not only that, they mentioned that you can import geometry from almost every format and that is the key here. Geometry, making assets - or whatever people wanna call it - it the most time consuming thing in making videos games. UE5 giving devs a shortcut to high detailed polythings is a godsent. Wow, truly blown away from this - not gonna lie.

The thing is: this is not unlimited details super niche yt shit, this is the UE5 that the majority of next games gonna use. This is the stuff we will get at home on our own consoles in our living room.

Looks great, but not all that impressed to be honest. We are approaching the point of diminishing returns....games already look amazing, the problem is gameplay and interaction with these pretty graphics. Show me some environmental destruction, make me feel like I actually exist in this world and am not just looking at your beautiful art. The prettier and prettier games become, the less fun they are to be in it seems. I don't care that your game has higher resolution and polycount anymore....I've been walking through beautiful, lifeless "worlds" for years now.

C,mon show me proof that's all I'm saying no need to answer me with a gif 😂....
Instead of talking about the actual show your going around the thread trying to "g" up every sad warrior by claiming Sony paid for some engine demo to be shown first and it'll run better on the xsx (probably will) you seem hurt by this presentation ...
Is there any chance they just chose the ps5 to show it off ? They gotta go with one of the two why not choose the one with the biggest fanbase for more exposure I don't know .

I think Sony once again made the right choice with their specs.

I think the slightly faster HD will be more beneficial than the slightly incresed TF. Given the Graphical detail / potential incluesion of RT, I expect the magical 4k figure drop for both consoles pretty damn quick, especially with 3rd parties. I expect to see a lot of titles at 1440p on both consoles and the TF isn't enough of a difference to magically squeeze 60fos on the Series X compared to a 30fps on the PS5.

I expect both machines running things at 1440p CB with the Hard Drive giving the PS5 a slight edge.

Breakage

Yeah. But it's expected. Where are the improvements to AI and other processes not related to the graphical fidelity? That was a big deal a couple generations ago. Now it's like they've given up on that and only care about improving the textures, lighting, animations, etc.
These days it's all about the cinematic experience isn't it? I suppose that's why AI improvements have taken a back seat in comparison to visuals.

Herr Edgy

As a 3D noob when this comes out and if it's accessible for hobbyists I could just throw in Zbrush models straight from the software and dick around with real time lighting like a mad scientist?
Yes and no.
You can do that and they could look fine, but you still need good topology to UV and texture well, and some material effects rely on UV animation for example.

Sota4077

Only console war idiots are going to bicker that a SSD is not a huge advancement. Important to remember though that a GPU still has to process everything. The SSD is not pushing assets to the GPU. The GPU is still processing them only as fast as it is able to. The SSD alone is not doing any of the heavy lifting aside from having everything ready for the GPU to pull when it needs it.

Last edited:
Only console war idiots are going to bicker that a SSD is not a huge advancement. Important to remember though that an SSD still has to process everything. The SSD is not pushing assets to the GPU. The GPU is still processing them only as fast as it is able to. The SSD alone is not doing any of the heavy lifting aside from having everything ready for the GPU to pull when it needs it.

How do you like your Crow? Just so we can be prepared, some ingredients are hard to come by at the mo

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think Sony once again made the right choice with their specs.

Well if you go to 51 mins into the stream Tim Sweeney describes the demo as running on the absolute best hardware in existence at the end of the year, and it very evident that the basis of that is the PS5's i/o stack.

GreyHorace

GODDAMN.

That looked really good. I thought the graphics on PS4 already looked pretty dope but this demo blew me away. These graphics really look next gen in my eyes.

Is there some reason why the Unreal Engine is not the standard for videogames? Is it too expensive to use?

Also, I'm down for this fantasy Tomb Raideresque game demo they made. They should make it into a real title.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Looks great.... but ue demos always look great. I want to see the actual games looking and playing like this.

Again nothing for this guy to hype people up about. Wanna see some AAA games looking like this, not tech demos.

GenericUser

Just remember those are small demos in a controlled enviroment. Don't be naive.
I deeply respect your opinion, but please compare the early UE4 demos to real games we got. The difference is there - I'll give you that - but the tech demo and the real games are at least comparable and are somewhat on the same level. And I have to restate that it's not the graphics that wow me, it is the tech behind the graphcis. This is the stuff that empowers devs to go crazy. Import megascanned 20 billion triangle models into the game? - no worries.

Riven326

Banned
These days it's all about the cinematic experience isn't it? I suppose that's why AI improvements have taken a back seat in comparison to visuals.
I suppose. But ultimately this video doesn't do much for me. It certainly doesn't wow me. It looks like what I imagine a next-gen game to look like with the focus being solely on better graphics. It would be nice if UE5 also made it so developers could release a game on time and have it actually be playable at launch without a day one patch and several dozen patches later just to make the experience less painful.

Anyways, there are very few games these days with bad graphics. Virtually zero in the Triple A space. So better lighting and textures, while certainly nice to have, ultimately pales in comparison to what was being done at the beginning of the 360/PS3 era.

Esppiral

Oh tech demos that won't even remotely resemble final shipping products great!
I love them but let's see if actual games look close to this

Last edited:
Top Bottom