• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Deep Dive on May 26th

It clearly isn't running optimally on a relatively simple scene with nothing much happening (like destruction). GPU usage is going down, frame-rate's tanking below 50fps, look at the frametime graph there are spikes to 36-39ms i.e. hitches.
I literally have no dog in this fight - my pc can’t run this I assume and my ps5 will do that other demo. But wasn’t the demo 30fps to begin with?

MonarchJT

Banned
it is interesting how all at once the power of the GPU is back in vogue (considering the various results they are posting on b3d).. and the framerate and res ...seems very much linked to it...who would have though

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

edit: this isn't me claiming SSD doesn't do shit I'm just sharing a video of someone uploading the engine running off an HDD

He's running this on a 5900x and 3080. 5900x is a $650 12 core 24 thread CPU and the 3080 is 2x more powerful than the 2080 which is probably why its running at 60 fps. Epic said 2080 will run it at 30 fps.

MonarchJT

Banned
It's interesting that you're literally ignoring what people are telling you in this thread and going on about your false narrative.
we realized ..
- the engine is literally not pulling stuff directly from the storage but preloading things.
- Superfast i/o can be usefull but seen how an superslow hdd run seem that a normal ssd with some spare ram will have no prob to mitigate the lack of alien tech i/o
- GPU are still the most important thing
- PC will run ue5 games better than any console

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's interesting that you're literally ignoring what people are telling you in this thread and going on about your false narrative.
There's been alot of that today, Ppl tripping over themselves to go nah nanny boo boo...not realizing they are really showing their ignorance on the subject.

I'll just patiently wait while more info comes out. Eating popcorn...

JLB

Banned
Managed to make it work!

Runs between 40-60fps at whatever resolution it is by default. (Can we change the resolution ?)

It is really beautiful and takes 28gbs of ram and 11 gb of vram, installed on M2 drive

Running on a FTW3 3090, 5950x and 32gb at 3600mhz

Nice, it runs at less than 60fps on a hardware that not even a PS7 or Xbox 45 will have.

FireFly

So is it meant to run more at that frame rate rather than 60? I don’t know how anything works so forgive my ignorance
Epic said they were targeting 60 FPS for Lumen, but it looks like they have dropped down to 1080P for this demo, where they can do 60 FPS at the High setting.

VFXVeteran

Banned
it is interesting how all at once the power of the GPU is back in vogue (considering the various results they are posting on b3d).. and the framerate and res ...seems very much linked to it...who would have though
I said this a long long time ago when the SSD magic was all in the air. I remember it "when you stream in data into view and you are rendering the asset - the GPU becomes the bottleneck". I got shit for it from non-developers. We've come full circle.

Last edited:

jroc74

we realized ..
- the engine is literally not pulling stuff directly from the storage but preloading things.
- Superfast i/o can be usefull but seen how an superslow hdd run seem that a normal ssd with some spare ram will have no prob to mitigate the lack of alien tech i/o
Why dont you take an hour to think about the PC specs that ppl are reporting using....think about the PS5, XSS and XSX specs.....then try again.

On another note, I’m pretty illiterate at this type of thing. I’ve never really tried it - but it seems we’re heading into an ease of use in creating games that I might be interested in getting into. I’m not brilliant at digital art but I can do it - never done animation. I wonder if I could create a scene with this

bitbydeath

we realized ..
On PC, consoles don’t have 32GB of RAM.
What you’re missing is the spec reduction in this demo which is exactly what Epic said would happen for systems that aren’t at the PS5’s level and many brushed off as being a paid advertisement.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
On PC, consoles don’t have 32GB of RAM.
What you’re missing is the spec reduction in this demo which is exactly what Epic said would happen for systems that aren’t at the PS5’s level and many brushed off as being a paid advertisement.
What spec reduction? People are running it in 4k native >40FPS.

Last edited:
I said this a long long time ago when the SSD magic was all in the air. I remember it "when you stream in data into view and you are rendering the asset - the GPU becomes the bottleneck". I got shit for it from non-developers. We've come full circle.
How many times do you need to redeem yourself before people finally listen and learn? I remember you claiming a game would arrive on PC, way ahead of any rumors, and everyone gave you shit. Your like the Jesus of gaming when it comes to this. You say something, and the prophecy is fulfilled. The apostles mocked you, over and over, but at the end of the day, you were right! Literally spot on. You'll have haters constantly, but you just gotta keep doing you.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
How many times do you need to redeem yourself before people finally listen and learn? I remember you claiming a game would arrive on PC, way ahead of any rumors, and everyone gave you shit. Your like the Jesus of gaming when it comes to this. You say something, and the prophecy is fulfilled. The apostles mocked you, over and over, but at the end of the day, you were right! Literally spot on. You'll have haters constantly, but you just gotta keep doing you.
tenor.gif

MonarchJT

Banned
Why dont you take an hour to think about the PC specs that ppl are reporting using....think about the PS5, XSS and XSX specs.....then try again.
i have to post the name of the people that was spreading fud like "PC and Xbox will run a downgraded version of ue5 games because of the i / o compared to PS5"?.
PC with higher specs are showing greater perfomance like native 4k at 50fps
but the most important thing is geometry and how is caching also from an really old hdd. Virtually all the opposite of what some believed

Glad to see this thread has been derailed into another PC vs Console thread by the usual suspects. Great job!!!

Was there REALLY anyone alive who thought the UE5 engine was ONLY going to be for PS5 and nothing else?
no I think people mainly were arguing that the original demo when it goes really fast is like because of the ssd? I have no idea. Does this matter I have no idea. PC’s will always end up outperforming consoles eventually who cares why are we concerned about this

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
we realized ..
- Games running on PS5/XSX will require fast storage.
- The demo is not even comparable to what was shown last year as texture/file size can adjust based on the type of hardware you have.
- The only pool of data they're going to stream from on consoles is in fact the storage, which makes it completely different.
- If its pulling from RAM, then it's going to require a lot, which means its an alternative and not the same as streaming from consoles.

jroc74

I still dont understand whats the issue with all this. Also....seems another thing that keeps getting dismissed is the actual PC specs ppl are using to get their results.

PC can brute force things. News at 11. Maybe stop focusing on the wild claims and focus on who tries to have actual logical conversations about all this.

I mean...I been stop paying attention to the wild Xbox fanboys on twitter. Maybe some need to take this advice for the wild Playstation fanboys?

Just a thought.

Glad to see this thread has been derailed into another PC vs Console thread by the usual suspects. Great job!!!

Was there REALLY anyone alive who thought the UE5 engine was ONLY going to be for PS5 and nothing else?
For some insane reason....ppl just overlooked Epic saying its scalable all the way to smartphones. And they just focus on something else.

I wonder do ppl know scalable is up and down.

Some folks need to take emotions out of all this.

no I think people mainly were arguing that the original demo when it goes really fast is like because of the ssd? I have no idea. Does this matter I have no idea. PC’s will always end up outperforming consoles eventually who cares why are we concerned about this
Exactly.

Last edited:

onesvenus

You also see the results too, the pic they posted, right?
With 4GB of RAM and a slow HDD, yup.
I was just saying that it doesn't seem to be using RAM to bruteforce anything, at least not to the extent everyone expected. 4GB with and SSD seems to work well for him

GuinGuin

Banned

jroc74

With 4GB of RAM and a slow HDD, yup.
I was just saying that it doesn't seem to be using RAM to bruteforce anything, at least not to the extent everyone expected. 4GB with and SSD seems to work well for him
Do I need to post the pic and the actual post the pic is in.....

Are they getting exactly a 1:1 showing like the demo we saw today......

For example, this is one of the PC specs of a clip in that same thread:

GPU: RTX 3080
CPU: AMD 5900X
HDD: Western Digital Gold 3.5" 10000 GB Serial ATA III

There was stuttering in the clip.

Not sure how much ram they used but it looked fairly smooth.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
- Games running on PS5/XSX will require fast storage.
- The demo is not even comparable to what was shown last year as texture/file size can adjust based on the type of hardware you have.
- The only pool of data they're going to stream from on consoles is in fact the storage, which makes it completely different.
- If its pulling from RAM, then it's going to require a lot, which means its an alternative and not the same as streaming from consoles.
the point that you are hardly avoiding is that we know that at this point is clear that PC or xbox would have no problem to run PS5 demo...and that type of superfast i/o is not even close to be needed for ue5. now we can finally file this practice

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My god. I want to throw my PC out the window.

I have spent the last 30 minutes trying to install the demo. Or rather trying to find space to download the demo. I was able to install UE5 earlier, but now I need 100gb of space to download the demo. So i decide to download it on the HDD but nope, it needs 100 gb of space on my ssd. The only problem is that i have UE4 and Cyberpunk installed on my ssd. no problem, i will move them both to my hdd.

but no. cybperpunk needs to install a 1.6 gb patch before i can move it. no problem i have a fast connection. 2 minutes should be enough.

but no. download pauses as i start to copy ue4 to the hdd. cant download a separate thing while i move something off of the ssd i guess. ok, fine. i will stop the copy and restart the download. should finish in two minutes right?

nope. its now doing the stupid copy thing the ps4 does and that has taken almost 15 minutes now. this cant be right. why is a 1.6 gb patch copying the entire game?

it's been half an hour and i havent even begun this 100 gb download or made any space on my ssd.

Top Bottom