• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Deep Dive on May 26th

GuinGuin

Banned
"Valley of the Ancient is a separate download of around 100 GB. If you want to run the full demo, the minimum system requirements are an NVIDIA GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 graphics card or higher, with 8 GB of VRAM and 32 GB of system RAM. For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM. We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance."

oofadoofa. I guess the PC engine build is compensating for I/O streaming stuff with extra RAM. I can't even run this because I have 16 GB system RAM lmao

Yeah that seems to be the case.

Kholinar

Banned
b0Jnivh.jpg
I give it a few days until this Neo gets banned, lmao.

It sounds like you are saying that as a fact, and then second guessing it. You tell us which one it is, since you seem to know more than the developers.

That's exactly what it is. Time to put my experience with reason, FL studio, waves, pro-tools, logic, etc to the test!
I'm not speculating, you can literally download yourself and try it out instead of malding perpetually.

If anything trying to pass off the crazy PC min spec as being the editors problem is you exposing yourself lmfao.
dTcAHZc.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Requiring a new video card is much different than shooting for 64 gigs of ram. Many people don't even have a setup where they could upgrade to that. Of course minimum requirements will go up, I'm just questioning by how much considering the limitations here.
Well, the 2080 is just an 8 GB card so clearly the VRAM requirements arent really that high. But again, I mentioned this in another thread where PS fans were saying how PCs will hold back gaming and how this demo cant run on PC. PCs can brute force anything. I had even mentioned how they would need 12-16 core CPUs, maybe directstorage enabled 30 series GPUs, and 32GB of System RAM. I lowballed the RAM requirements but it's obvious now that PCs can brute force the PS5 I/O.

Valley of the Ancient is a separate download of around 100 GB. If you want to run the full demo, the minimum system requirements are an NVIDIA GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 graphics card or higher, with 8 GB of VRAM and 32 GB of system RAM. For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM. We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance.

Someone replied to me and I wish i had bookmarked that post, but the gist of it was that Cerny's biggest accomplishment isnt producing a chip that is light years ahead of everything. It's that it can do a lot with so little. He was able to design something that can do all of what the PCs can do today with a fraction of the silicon cost. That's it. No more no less. No magic. No secret sauce. Just good Sony engineering that made Sony so successful in the last century.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
The whole audio/sound design part looks really fun. Starting too look like the basic components in a DAW with all the waveform synthesis, routing/signal splitting and chaining which I’m familiar working with.

Actually a lot of it reminds me of working inside a DAW, makes me wish I had a real beefy PC to play around with UE5. Never even thought about it before.
If you think thats fun, consider getting Dreams. The built in DAW is magic i tell you. I was hoping they would some day release the audio part as a separate thing on PC as a DAW program.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wow those requirements are crazy. Shows how impressive the SSDs in those consoles are
Exactly. I mean the notes says it all:

"Valley of the Ancient is a separate download of around 100 GB. If you want to run the full demo, the minimum system requirements are an NVIDIA GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 graphics card or higher, with 8 GB of VRAM and 32 GB of system RAM. For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM. We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance."

oofadoofa. I guess the PC engine build is compensating for I/O streaming stuff with extra RAM. I can't even run this because I have 16 GB system RAM lmao

So....I'm sitting here trying to figure what all the vindication is about.....

elliot5

Reason is my go to DAW, I like the hands on feeling of it, I’m very excited to see what Reason 12 brings to the table this summer.

I assume you have a pretty sweet PC? I feel a little envious because I would defintely dive head first into this if I had the specs required!
You don't need a beefy PC to just run the engine. Those insane specs are to run this example project at 30 FPS in real time. The editor itself with an empty scene is no different than running something like Photoshop.

reksveks

Requiring a 12 core CPU and 64GB of system RAM is no joke for 30FPS.

Also, once again confirmation that console GPUs are RTX 2080 levels.
Minus the rt element of a rtx2080 but as this is required to run the demo probably in the editor mode. What the final requirements are, probably will be different.

Last edited:
Reason is my go to DAW, I like the hands on feeling of it, I’m very excited to see what Reason 12 brings to the table this summer.

I assume you have a pretty sweet PC? I feel a little envious because I would defintely dive head first into this if I had the specs required!
Reason 12 is gonna be siiiick! ReDrum is just natural, as well as their other tools compared to the rest. I'm definitely a reason fanboy lol.

Yeah I got a pretty beefy PC. But if your only doing audio, you don't need anything flashy or crazy. But I guess if you wanna dive into the editor, that might be another story. Although if you are mostly doing audio in the editor and nothing too fancy graphically, I think you would still be good to go with mediocre specs or even lower end specs.

hlm666

Seeing something other than rocks and stone would have been nice, that's been done pretty well ever since battlefront. Hopefully once more people get this now we might see some more interesting demos.

Wow. A complete jab at Xbox gamers. This is the kind of shit that needs the ban hammer. You guys literally have 0 respect for the mods wishes. You don't care one bit that they have said over and over again to stop the console warring.

It's not console warring. I was taking a guess why the demo today looks worse than the last year's demo.

You think it's not because they had to make it work for a slower SSD and I/O?

skit_data

If you think thats fun, consider getting Dreams. The built in DAW is magic i tell you. I was hoping they would some day release the audio part as a separate thing on PC as a DAW program.
I have Dreams, but it’s simply too tedious to work with a controller. I really appreciate the effort MM has invested in it, I just think it’s one of those PS games that would be even greater if they were available on PC. Way more than the ones they’ve released up to now, at least.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
glad to confirm even a pcie4-2x nvme is enough for next gen nanite :lollipop_sunglasses: :messenger_ok:

so much about super customed I/O blah-blah-blah
Once again....Epic confirmed last year....its scalable all the way down to smartphones.

Unless some of yall think XSX is weaker than a smartphone.

Do some of yall actually pay attention to whats going on, being said or only focus on those who said mean things about your precious box.

Just curious.

Sadly the presentation wasn't really that great.
I am still curious to see all that Geometry working in tandem with vegetation, entities, animation, water and so on.
The smoke/dust effects were very repetetive and kinda underwhelming.

Nevermind still a great tech behind that all.
But the neccessary amount of storage and RAM is hard though.

Fighting for new rigs or pc parts might be very hard and expensive in the future.

BTW: Nice seeing how Xbox and PC "fans" are trying to spin a new story.
I didn't see all that talk about UE5 not beeing able to run on other devices then PS5. But here we are all those poor souls trying to play victim to Sony fans.
Quite a conspiracy theory you all are building up there.

Last edited:

hlm666

On the memory bullshit going on in here.

Here are the specs recommended for the current ue4 editor from their documentation.

This list represents a typical system used at Epic, providing a reasonable guideline for developing games with Unreal Engine 4:

• Windows 10 64-bit
  • 64 GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD (OS Drive)
  • 2 TB SSD (Data Drive)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  • Xoreax Incredibuild (Dev Tools Package)
  • Six-Core Xeon E5-2643 @ 3.4GHz

I'm not speculating, you can literally download yourself and try it out instead of malding perpetually.

If anything trying to pass off the crazy PC min spec as being the editors problem is you exposing yourself lmfao.
dTcAHZc.jpg
When did I ever say anything about there being a problem with specs or the editor? Did you read/quote someone else by any chance? You are projecting really hard at this point, and I'd assume it's based on anger? Anger that you were wrong about peddling the agenda that PC can't do this or that because the power of the SSD, etc. You were completely wrong about that, and Epic proved that. But we already knew that from last year.

By the way, ps5 can't run the editor. That's why they showed the first demo from last year running on PC in the editor (which uses way more resources), as well as showing it off again today. The PC they used to run the demo last year didn't have an SSD no where near ps5 speed, Epic China devs confirmed they used a laptop with pci 3.0 ssd and a 2070-mobile gpu were running the first demo at higher performance, and we saw it again today. What more proof do you need?

V7ofSI1.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned
I have Dreams, but it’s simply too tedious to work with a controller. I really appreciate the effort MM has invested in it, I just think it’s one of those PS games that would be even greater if they were available on PC. Way more than the ones they’ve released up to now, at least.
Yup totally agree, the potential is somewhat hindered by the control scheme. The UI is great and they have done amazing work to make it intuitive with the DS4 and Move but like you said, it can be tedious.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Looks great of course, but a little less impressed one year later and after seeing Ratchet.

im ready to see an actual game made from UE5, rather than a mostly empty tech demo. The streaming last year was the coolest part
Seeing as how this aint even shipping until 2022, you will have to wait half a decade to see a game built on UE5 tech.

On the memory bullshit going on in here.

Here are the specs recommended for the current ue4 editor from their documentation.

This list represents a typical system used at Epic, providing a reasonable guideline for developing games with Unreal Engine 4:

• Windows 10 64-bit
  • 64 GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD (OS Drive)
  • 2 TB SSD (Data Drive)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  • Xoreax Incredibuild (Dev Tools Package)
  • Six-Core Xeon E5-2643 @ 3.4GHz
What an insane comparison, one is the recommended specs to outfit an entire game development company with to create full games, while the other specs are to run a demo at 30fps.
Image trying to use that to imply that Epic crazy overestimated the specs for this demo lol.

elliot5

Seeing as how this aint even shipping until 2022, you will have to wait half a decade to see a game built on UE5 tech.
Epic even states in their FAQ that if you are in production already to keep using 4.26, but if you are wanting to try out new tech, explore possibilities, or begin prototyping next-gen games, you can use the preview that released today. I think with the workflow improvements in UE5, a lot of games that begin experimenting now (like what The Coalition is doing), would mean the first production ready and complete games will probably be late 2023 if they release prod UE5 on time in early 2022.

Last edited:
When did I ever say anything about there being a problem with specs or the editor?
Idk maybe it was the 8 posts you liked from people screaming that the 64Gig requirement was only because of the editor.
Keep moving the goalposts it'll help you burn some calories.
Anger that you were wrong about peddling the agenda that PC can't do this or that because the power of the SSD, etc. You were completely wrong about that, and Epic proved that. But we already knew that from last year.
Wtf are you talking about when did I say anything like that lmfaoo, who do you think I am? Talking about projecting when youre literally shouting in the wind not even knowing who you're arguing with. Touch some grass my dude.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
When did I ever say anything about there being a problem with specs or the editor? Did you read/quote someone else by any chance? You are projecting really hard at this point, and I'd assume it's based on anger? Anger that you were wrong about peddling the agenda that PC can't do this or that because the power of the SSD, etc. You were completely wrong about that, and Epic proved that. But we already knew that from last year.

By the way, ps5 can't run the editor. That's why they showed the first demo from last year running on PC in the editor (which uses way more resources), as well as showing it off again today. The PC they used to run the demo last year didn't have an SSD no where near ps5 speed, Epic China devs confirmed they used a laptop with pci 3.0 ssd and a 2070-mobile gpu were running the first demo at higher performance, and we saw it again today. What more proof do you need?

V7ofSI1.jpg

You are trying way to hard spreading fud. I didn’t see the same demo from last year running right now. I only saw the same character. Other then that…nothing was the same from last year.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

V7ofSI1.jpg
Stop chatting shit.
Last year demo was running on ps5. Digital foundry confirmed the demo was supposed to be playable on the shop floor.
China demo was the ps5 demo running on a video. Lmfao.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
But if they run the demo at full perfomance on XsX, then why all the talk about the magic I/O of the PS5?

Because this is another demo? Is it using any 500 raw Z-Brush statues here? Is it RAW 8K cinema-level assets? Is it using 16K shadows?

No, it's a nice demo though. This is most likely 4K game assets, compressed. And even with all of that I doubt we'll see games like this if this is 100GB.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Lol at all the debate over the system requirements. Just wait a few hours and we will find out just what the requirements are. This demo is going public right?

Dont take sides just yet! You guys are brave.

elliot5

Idk maybe it was the 8 posts you liked from people screaming that the 64Gig requirement was only because of the editor.
Keep moving the goalposts it'll help you burn some calories.
The 64 gig recommendation is due to the editor. Not because the editor itself is that hefty, but when you are loading in all the assets in a scene on your computer in-editor it loads them all up in full. There's not really any optimization like you get when you package and ship for a target release.

It's like loading up an extremely high res photo in Photoshop vs exporting the photo for a webpage (extreme simplification).

Honestly think the demo last year was way better.

I agree. Last year's demo was better. I thought this presentation will show that the same demo is playable on all platforms. But I guess not. I wonder why that is. Is it because they have to make the game playable not only on PS5 but also on series x and PC?

But that's not important, we have a good engine here. Look at those details. I can't wait for games made with this engine. Days Gone 2?

Top Bottom