• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Deep Dive on May 26th

Tsugumo

Banned
I agree. Last year's demo was better. I thought this presentation will show that the same demo is playable on all platforms. But I guess not. I wonder why that is. Is it because they have to make the game playable not only on PS5 but also on series x and PC?

But that's not important, we have a good engine here. Look at those details. I can't wait for games made with this engine. Days Gone 2?
IDJAjlm.jpg

Stop chatting shit.
Last year demo was running on ps5. Digital foundry confirmed the demo was supposed to be playable on the shop floor.
China demo was the ps5 demo running on a video. Lmfao.
China devs never showed it running on PC, so what are you talking about? The editor portions of the first UE5 demo is running on Microsoft Windows 😂😂😂! The ps5 devkits don't run Windows just in case your missed the obvious elephant in the room. Also, both demos, the editor and engine were created on a PC, not the ps5. So think about how the had to test the demo, and what hardware would be used for testing. Hint: it starts with a P, and ends with a C.

makaveli60

Are some of you crazy? I read the posts before watching it and was prepared to be disappointed by the ”downgrade” but instead I was just as amazed as at the first demo. It still looks unbelievable. Don’t tell me that you won’t shit your pants if games will really look like this in a few years. I really hope I will get to play games on these consoles that look like this.

Oh wow it's a different demo and it looks worse than the one last year. And where's the flying sequence?

They probably had to make it work for series x.

They had to make it work for the series x hence the downgrade.

Games that are exclusively to PS5 without the shackle of slower SSD is what will show the visuals similar to last year's UE5 demo.

They had to make it work for a slower SSD and I/O.
Do you have any prove for that like at all. I mean your own ass isn't a reliable source despite the constant leaks.

Schmick

It's not console warring. I was taking a guess why the demo today looks worse than the last year's demo.

You think it's not because they had to make it work for a slower SSD and I/O?
"Valley of the Ancient is a separate download of around 100 GB. If you want to run the full demo, the minimum system requirements are an NVIDIA GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 graphics card or higher, with 8 GB of VRAM and 32 GB of system RAM. For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM. We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance."

You think it's not because they had to make it work for a slower SSD and I/O? No

Last edited:
so about this here again:"

Valley of the Ancient is a separate download of around 100 GB. If you want to run the full demo, the minimum system requirements are an NVIDIA GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 graphics card or higher, with 8 GB of VRAM and 32 GB of system RAM. For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM. We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance."

why would they say in the end : We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance. -
if those requirements would be for editor only ? That makes no sense..

elliot5

Yes. That is the main issue I see here. Next gen consoles don't have a lot of storage
The project includes the source assets uncompressed and all that. Quixel megascans are huge files. On top of that there's the super high resolution base models. Games will be much more compressed than a demo unzipped.

Ratchet and Clank is probably hundreds of gigs in a project file, but packaged up for PS5 is like 30-40 after installation.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Are some of you crazy? I read the posts before watching it and was prepared to be disappointed by the ”downgrade” but instead I was just as amazed as at the first demo. It still looks unbelievable. Don’t tell me that you won’t shit your pants if games will really look like this in a few years. I really hope I will get to play games on these consoles that look like this.
Yep. I feel like I am going crazy because I am blown away by these graphics. Gonna post these gifs here again to restore some sanity.

rYg9Qdz.gif

00m4Rx0.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For people comparing both demos:

New demo: 1-2M polygons

PS5 Demo: over 1 billion polygons crunched down losslessly to 20M polygons for each frame:

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

The new demo is more realistic, and looking at the map now I digress and think it's possible to make a game that looks like that as the map there is actually big. When I said it'll toned down to around 4M (4-2x more than the new demo) people thought I was joking.

So now we need the frame budget to be precise.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
so about this here again:"

Valley of the Ancient is a separate download of around 100 GB. If you want to run the full demo, the minimum system requirements are an NVIDIA GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 graphics card or higher, with 8 GB of VRAM and 32 GB of system RAM. For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM. We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance."

why would they say in the end : We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance. -
if those requirements would be for editor only ? That makes no sense..

Exactly. It's not the editor that has those requirements it's the separate download demo. They stated that clear as day.

Last edited:
Why would I wast my time with you when you are the king of moving goal posts
What goals were moved? You can't claim these things without any proof. Epic China confirmed it was ran on the specs I stated, first demo has minutes of footage running the editor on PC, and now you see it running again today on PC again. Point out the moved goals or the lies if you can. I'll wait.

elliot5

PS5 Demo: over 1 billion polygons crunched down losslessly to 20M polygons for each frame:

The new demo is more realistic, and looking at the map now I digress and think it's possible to make a game that looks like that as the map there is actually big. When I said it'll toned down to around 4M (4-2x more than the new demo) people thought I was joking.

Each of those colored swatches are 1-2M polygons... wouldn't that be the same thing as the billions of polygons from the PS5 demo?

Zathalus

1-2 million triangles per instance, each of those coloured areas are a single instance.

CamHostage

Once again....Epic confirmed last year....its scalable all the way down to smartphones.

And re-confirmed that the first game ever to use it will be Fortnite, which is on every platform, and this time they went a bit further (although this would have been easy to figure) by saying that every version of Fortnite will be upgraded with the UE5 conversion.

Epic Games said:

However, don't expect Fortnite to suddenly look like Valley of the Ancient here on your phone. It's just an engine upgrade, not a magic pill. Maybe they'll take this special event to modify some assets or effects, but Fortnite will look like Fortnite; they've rolled out major UE upgrades first to Fortnite in the past, and players noticed no difference because the core assets and mechanics stayed the same. It's the accomplishment under the hood and the deploy across platforms that matters, so gamers may not see anything special when Fortnite UE5 shows up, but they'll enjoy the end results of their platform being UE5-tested-and-ready when new games are in production in consideration of your platform of choice.

(Also, lower-spec platforms will not have access to some of the truly next-gen features of UE5 (specifically Nanite and Lumen). Everybody is invited to the new theme park, but not everybody is tall enough to ride all the rides.)

Last edited:

elliot5

What I actually would like to see, is water simulation and destruction tools. Like changing the environment outside of just lighting.
Check out niagara particle and chaos destruction physics. It's part of UE4 right now. You can see some of the destruction in the wreckage from that ancient being thing.

iam not sure if you are right here - they said every instance contains 1-2Million Triangles. But for what i understand "Instance" in this Video means every Area who has a differend colour then the one next to it. Wich would give you also easily 20Million+ if you would have a Player Camera places low enough ..

Bo_Hazem

Banned
1-2 million triangles per instance, each of those coloured areas are a single instance.

Yes, hid the post. Now then we need to know the frame budget. It should be live today on Eurogamer or other websites for more in-depth details.

Source just means the asset prior to being downscaled via Nanite... I really don't think you need to go down this route of trying to claim the PS5 demo was stronger. It's Nanite working the same, regardless. This demo was running on a PC for a majority of it.

Yes before crunched to 20M per frame. More details needed. Put that post in a spoiler.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Well, the 2080 is just an 8 GB card so clearly the VRAM requirements arent really that high. But again, I mentioned this in another thread where PS fans were saying how PCs will hold back gaming and how this demo cant run on PC. PCs can brute force anything. I had even mentioned how they would need 12-16 core CPUs, maybe directstorage enabled 30 series GPUs, and 32GB of System RAM. I lowballed the RAM requirements but it's obvious now that PCs can brute force the PS5 I/O.

My electric lawnmower can do the same as a Ferrari engine hooked to a fan. Of course PC can bruteforce anything. But needing a 3 to 5k machine to run it...

Someone replied to me and I wish i had bookmarked that post, but the gist of it was that Cerny's biggest accomplishment isnt producing a chip that is light years ahead of everything. It's that it can do a lot with so little. He was able to design something that can do all of what the PCs can do today with a fraction of the silicon cost. That's it. No more no less. No magic. No secret sauce. Just good Sony engineering that made Sony so successful in the last century.

This

elliot5

Temporal Super Resolution: TSR is a new technique of upscaling a lower resolution frame to maximize performance and visual fidelity. AMD has worked closely with Epic to optimize TSR features on Radeon™ powered systems. A standard feature of UE5, TSR is enabled for all GPUs and provides state-of-the-art upscaling not just on PC, but on PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X/S, too.

AMD partners with Epic Games in Unreal Engine 5 Ea... - AMD Community

harmny

Banned
Source just means the asset prior to being downscaled via Nanite... I really don't think you need to go down this route of trying to claim the PS5 demo was stronger. It's Nanite working the same, regardless. This demo was running on a PC for a majority of it.

just tell them ps5 is the second coming of christ. i am actually worried for their health now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom