• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unpopular Opinion: Valkyrie Profile was a better game than Final Fantasy VII

Which game do you prefer?

• Total voters
I've held this view for a long time. Some would say it's a rose tinted glasses situation but Valkyrie Profile only came to the UK on PSP, we never received the PlayStation 1 version that released in North America and Japan. But coming up to the release of Final Fantasy VII remake, old conversations with my friends are coming up and god I forgot how it felt being one of those people who believed that Final Fantasy VII was the best RPG they had ever played, it was the best game for PlayStation 1 etc. For a time I believed it too but I bought Valkyrie Profile for PSP and loved it straight away. I looked into the franchise and was surprised to see that originally it was never released in the UK and imported a copy from the States. I did a second play-through for a different ending and I just couldn't get enough.

I know the only real common denominator between the two games is that they're both RPG's but I firmly believe that if I had owned both of these games at the same time, I would have liked Valkyrie Profile more. Both games are excellent in different ways. VP is a beautiful 2D game but the 3D nature of Final Fantasy and the pre-rendered backgrounds was equally beautiful, though the sprite work in VP is just something else. The voice acting in VP is a step above Final Fantasy being a text fest, though I get so engaged in the game that it doesn't make a huge difference, however, what I will say is that the voice cast of Slayers gave a hell of a performance. Arngrim doesn't give the same impression in text but you can tell how much of an arrogant bastard he is when you hear the voice actor talking. It doesn't make me like him any less, I still had to have him as an essential character.

Both games have equally great music, I can't pick one over the other but the equipment and level up system in VP was much preferred to Final Fantasy VII. Training characters to and fight in Valhalla was always a challenge, knowing who to send and how to raise them was hard without a guide but also there were so many items to equip, weapons etc. It was more fun I think. It doesn't help that magic defence just doesn't work in Final Fantasy VII. Both games have equally great story but I believe VP edges this with the individual character arc's when Lenneth listens to the souls of the recently departed. Some of these stories are heart felt and heart breaking and it makes you want to save the warriors. Others are less emphatic but you can't have them all have a sob story. The story to Final Fantasy VII is genius but there are still places where it fails to be as fun and engaging, which isn't an issue with VP where I cannot wait to progress to the next chapter to see who I was going save next or what dungeon I was going to explore.

Then the game play, both here I think are equally enjoyable. Honestly I can pick up VP any day but I do often burn out with FF VII. I know there are 2 years between these games but I do sometimes feel sad knowing that are VP fans like me that want a future for the franchise but have to accept that it's very unlikely. I love them both equally but with FFVII-R on the horizon, I do wonder if the legacy will live up to the name and standards set or whether we'll be disappointed and wondering what we've been begging for.

For those who have played both, which do you prefer?

VP is an awesome game but no it's not better than FF7.

For one it's incredibly obtuse when it comes to the conditions of getting certin Einherjar and which decision you make may result in you not getting the true ending path, which requires you to always look at a guide so you don't get locked out of it.

That's straight up bad game design, and yet despite this ending BS it's a classic and it's sad to see what happened to Tri-Ace since the start of the 7th gen.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I'm a bit biased towards VP, because it's still my favorite jrpg of all time. So I definitely agree to it being better than FF7. The art work and characters all day over FF. The only remake I would back with my own money in a heartbeat.

Looks longingly at my VP Profile PS1 copy, PSP copy and my PS2 Silmeria copy also.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gave up on VP. I was ruined by stupid mechanics where you had to recruit people and send them to Valhalla. It lacked directions and was confusing at times. Such a shame since the gameplay as a whole was great.

Silmeria was way better and more straightforward, with a great cast of characters and a compelling story. Beautiful graphics too with a knockout OST.

But none of them came even close to FF VII and the quality of it. It's the motherfucking GOAT among Jrpgs.

Aion002

VP was ok for me, while FFVII is a juggernaut. It's an unfair comparison.

I would rank VP with games like Legend of Dragon, Legaia and Saga Frontier... Way bellow games like Xenogears, Breath of Fire, Suikoden, Chrono and Final Fantasy series.

VP was fine, the sequel was way better.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes overall it was but very close... there are others JRPG better like Grandia for example.

Graphics: VII > VP
Story: VII > VP
Battle System: VP > VII
Sound: VP > VII
World / Environment: VP > VII
Characters: VII > VP
Art: VP > VII

Bit FFVII was more influential and the GCs were outstanding.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Final Fantasy VII.

I'm a huge FF nut, and VII was imo part of the pinnacle of the series.

I really need to finish VP some time. Had a playthrough going but had to stop, then by the time I picked it up again I had forgotten most of my choices and choices matter a lot in that game.

From what I played tho I loved it; really good combat system, very fun item crafting system, great amount of depth, excellent artwork and the story was very engaging too. I think it might be one of PS1's underrated JRPG gems for sure.

I'll give you an even more controversial opinion... FFVII was never a good game to begin with. and it is not even close to being the best FF game... even all its spinoffs are better games than the main game.

THERE I SAID IT!
*ducks and runs off*

You got some mighty brass balls there, soldier xD

Last edited:
I'll give you an even more controversial opinion... FFVII was never a good game to begin with. and it is not even close to being the best FF game... even all its spinoffs are better games than the main game.

THERE I SAID IT!
*ducks and runs off*
tenor.gif

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I never play FF VII. But I play VP. And easy is one of the Best games that i play in my life. Because the ost and the story... I love the Gameplay and the combinatión of botons in combat. Lenneth is awesome and my favorite character is Yumei.

I have to play FF VII original to have a opinión about The comparision.

sublimit

Banned
I played the PSP port and although i liked it a lot i felt that a lot of the game's mechanics were very poorly explained.It was as if the game was designed in a way to sell the strategy guide along with it.

FFVII on the other hand was a much more straight forward game (although you also needed a strategy guide for some optional stuff). It was my first ever RPG yet i had no problem to finish it. In VP i got stuck in the final dungeon and never played it again.

V4skunk

Banned
I'd say Valkyrie Profile has a better story and better gameplay.
FFVII isn't even the best FF.
That goes to FF:Tactics, FFVI, VIII and XII.
Xenogears and Parasite Eve 1 are also above any FF.

Banned
I agreed with this, sidescrolling platformer + jrpg design are rad. hope they could do a reboot on this

Top Bottom