• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Series Not Over Yet, According to Naughty Dog

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yeah, the rumor is Amy Hennig wanted to make Uncharted 4 a lot more dark than it was. Like I think either Nate or Sam was supposed to die in it
Yeah, she wanted Sam to be the villain in the game but it was also rumored that the 1st half of the game wouldn't have any guns

For a game the size of Uncharted 4, that would have been bad

Hobbygaming

Naughty Dog have never excelled in gameplay driven design, instead they will continue to work on what they are actually good at and what their audience expects from them
It's funny reading this because Uncharted 4 was my very 1st game I played on my PS4 when I finally decided to get one and the gameplay is what made me fall in love with it

Admittedly I'm biased towards games with good hand to hand combat and UC4's contextual melee combat is 🔥🔥🔥🔥

It's funny reading this because Uncharted 4 was my very 1st game I played on my PS4 when I finally decided to get one and the gameplay is what made me fall in love with it

Admittedly I'm biased towards games with good hand to hand combat and UC4's contextual melee combat is 🔥🔥🔥🔥

That was the first game i played on PS4 also, came with my slim. It was after I took a long hiatus from gaming during the ps3 gen. I think I went 6 or so years without owning a gaming console. Yeah, Uncharted 4 was a nice way to come back into gaming. The last 5 years of ps4 made me fall in love with gaming again.

I played the last of us on PSNow on my pc lol

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

That was the first game i played on PS4 also, came with my slim. It was after I took a long hiatus from gaming during the ps3 gen. I think I went 6 or so years without owning a gaming console. Yeah, Uncharted 4 was a nice way to come back into gaming. The last 5 years of ps4 made me fall in love with gaming again.

I played the last of us on PSNow on my pc lol
That's incredible! 6 years is a long time I can just imagine how great gaming was for you starting fresh on a PS4

I was playing exclusively on Xbox for 16 years straight not paying much attention to any other consoles, I was so stupid to limit myself like that

levyjl1988

Banned
Nathan's daughter is going to be the main character and she's going to be finding herself.
Sully is going to be dead in this and it will be similar to Indiana Jones 4 where his picture will pass on the desk and be mentioned.
There are going to be a lot of similarities between young Lara and this character.
Also, Uncharted 5 will feature aliens.

Why? If people enjoy them then what's the problem?
Because Uncharted 4 finished on a high note, it was a perfect ending just the same as Breaking Bad show. They tied up the whole story, Drake now has a family, living the life on the beach and is considerably older. Anything beyond that point is milking it. They should leave it alone and make a new IP.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Naughty Dog left the door open with possibilities for a sequel or spinoff

Younger Sully
Sam and Sully
Cassie
Chloe and Nadine again
Old man Drake
Francis Drake

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Can't they simply reboot it, I don't want old man drake and pensioner sully nor do I want to play as his daughter. What makes the Uncharted games so utterly brilliant to play are the main characters, the back and forth banter between old friends (not to mention the insane technical wizardry that is ND Devs) so fuck continuations, just reboot back to younger Drake & Sully and give me brand new adventures

sainraja

Yeah but why do all that work if your audience is content and will eat up millions of Uncharted games anyways? exactly

Naughty Dog have never excelled in gameplay driven design, instead they will continue to work on what they are actually good at and what their audience expects from them, nothing more, nothing less.

They aren't a studio that churns out a Breath of the Wild, Resident Evil or Elden Ring and they will never be, you are barking at the wrong tree
Putting effort into things such as animation, character-driven stories does not mean they put less emphasis on gameplay. You all want every game to be the exact same which is stupid — you can dislike something without the thing being 'weak' in any specific area. Uncharted's gameplay is different then Elden Ring/BOTW/Resident Evil (funny you mention RE but whatever). Focus being different does not mean they don't excel in gameplay.

Majormaxxx

I think part of what made Lost Legacy so good was its trimmed runtime. I say keep the fat to a minimum. I'd love another 8-hour Uncharted.
Lost Legacy was around 7 hours. Uncharted 2 was around 10-11. Uncharted 1 and 3 were 8-9 hours. LL was slightly rushed. Maybe 2-3 more hours and it would be perfect.

With the LOU2 not being the success the studio wanted it to be, it makes sense to go back to this well.

The movie was fairly successful and it makes sense to keep the brand in the general conversation, especially if they can't salvage anything with the last of us.

They can still do a lot with Uncharted with Drake and/or his daughter. You could easily turn her into your own Lara Croft type.

Remaking the LOU may also give them an engine/assets to remake the original trilogy of games that didn't perform nearly as well as UC4 did.

Majormaxxx

With the LOU2 not being the success the studio wanted it to be, it makes sense to go back to this well.

The movie was fairly successful and it makes sense to keep the brand in the general conversation, especially if they can't salvage anything with the last of us.

They can still do a lot with Uncharted with Drake and/or his daughter. You could easily turn her into your own Lara Croft type.

Remaking the LOU may also give them an engine/assets to remake the original trilogy of games that didn't perform nearly as well as UC4 did.
I don't think Nathan will be allowed on more adventures by Elena :)

But we can have a near future sequel with college grad Cassie. Maybe she could go on her own adventures?

I don't think Nathan will be allowed on more adventures by Elena :)

But we can have a near future sequel with college grad Cassie. Maybe she could go on her own adventures?

I can see her adventuring with her "aunt" Chloe who will act as her Sully. But I think there's potential for older Nathan as well as flashbacks to when he was younger.

Cyborg

I do believe the next Uncharted will go in one of the two directions
1. we play as Sir Francis Drake or someone close to him
2. we play as the
daughter
of Drake and Elena

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I think you're making a very incorrect assumption that TLOU 2 isn't the success that the studio wanted it to be.

Apart from that, the next Uncharted is inevitable. I think it'll feature Sam as the main protagonist if it is a numbered Uncharted game.

The entire studio is busy with 3 TLOU projects and a TV show is being done but sure...

Show me data on that first sentence btw

Majormaxxx

Just do a proper console remake of Golden Abyss, so much of the work is already done for you.
It will have to be a remake, as you said, and not a remaster. I played that game 3 times back in the PS3 era. It held up. But on my last replay, this year, it shows its age and limitations compared to current Gen. The set pieces and environments are restricted. Characters are easy to fix but fixing the whole levels is a job for a remake team.

Star-Lord

Go and count how many uncharted games there has been.
Nine. What's your point? Are you trying to say Naughty Dog are flogging a dead horse because they've released so many Uncharted titles? If so, let's dive deeper into the number of entries in multiple game series.

Mario - 19
Sonic - 31
Final Fantasy - 95
Tomb Raider - 12
Tekken - 15+
Halo - 16
Zelda - 29
Donkey Kong - 37
Kirby - 30+
Assassin's Creed - 29
Metal Gear Solid - 11
Silent Hill - 18
Pokémon - 122

Need I go on? You can accuse Naughty Dog of releasing Uncharted titles just for the hell of it, but you may want to take stock of the above figures.

Elysion

Banned
They should go back to a younger Drake in his twenties, before the events of the first game. Let him be a womanizer again, with a new female protagonist in every future game. The dynamics between Nate and Elena in the first game, and between him and Chloe in the second game, were much spicier than his boring relationship with Elena in U3 and 4.

I really disliked how after the first game they turned Elena into a boring nag who wants Drake to stop doing treasure hunts, which is the complete opposite from how she behaved in U1. In the first game she was actually the more adventurous of the two, and convinced Drake to continue their adventure on the island despite the presence of the mercenaries. But in the later games she did a complete 180, and became boring and kinda unlikable imo.

I just hope they don’t make us play as Drake’s daughter.

Calverz

Nine. What's your point? Are you trying to say Naughty Dog are flogging a dead horse because they've released so many Uncharted titles? If so, let's dive deeper into the number of entries in multiple game series.

Mario - 19
Sonic - 31
Final Fantasy - 95
Tomb Raider - 12
Tekken - 15+
Halo - 16
Zelda - 29
Donkey Kong - 37
Kirby - 30+
Assassin's Creed - 29
Metal Gear Solid - 11
Silent Hill - 18
Pokémon - 122

Need I go on? You can accuse Naughty Dog of releasing Uncharted titles just for the hell of it, but you may want to take stock of the above figures.
What year was the first uncharted game released?

sainraja

Nine?

There have only been 6 games.

1. Uncharted
2. Uncharted 2
3. Uncharted 3
4. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
5. Uncharted 4
6. Uncharted: Lost Legacy

How are you getting 9?

Pelta88

We must be living in completely different worlds or you've taken the opinion of a few who disliked the game and somehow equated that to the sales of actual game.

For the record

"The Last of Us Part II is now the fastest-selling first-party PS4 exclusive ever with more than 4 million copies sold through as of June 21"

That's over 4 million in two days. So I need some receipts.

But my guess is that you were being disingenuous and as a result, wont reply to back up your statement.

200.gif

Last edited:
I think you're making a very incorrect assumption that TLOU 2 isn't the success that the studio wanted it to be.

Apart from that, the next Uncharted is inevitable. I think it'll feature Sam as the main protagonist if it is a numbered Uncharted game.
There's no assumption here. The game didn't do nearly as well as they would have hoped.

And there is a zero percent chance that Sam becomes these main protagonist in the next game.

The entire studio is busy with 3 TLOU projects and a TV show is being done but sure...

Show me data on that first sentence btw
Find me any sales numbers that suggest it did well. The game sold 4 million copies and then fell of the charts. It didn't do well.

They absolutely want to reform the game and give it a second lease on life but much of these plans were in motion before the game even came out.

We must be living in completely different worlds or you've taken the opinion of a few who disliked the game and somehow equated that to the sales of actual game.

For the record

"The Last of Us Part II is now the fastest-selling first-party PS4 exclusive ever with more than 4 million copies sold through as of June 21"

That's over 4 million in two days. So I need some receipts.

But my guess is that you were being disingenuous and as a result, wont reply to back up your statement.

200.gif
Tell me what happened after.

The game fell off the charts immediately. It had no legs. Go look up npd charts for the time period and PSN downloads.

Was probably outsold by ghost of Tsushima.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hmmm, he had a daughter but that would literally be another tomb raider. So the next woke choice is that Nate’s daughter grew up and married a black guy and had a mixed gay son!

Uncharted legacy .. Terry’s fabulous adventure!!

Nah , got to sell those Tom holland movies .. it will be a younger Nate adventure.

Topher

Gold Member
Find me any sales numbers that suggest it did well. The game sold 4 million copies and then fell of the charts. It didn't do well.

They absolutely want to reform the game and give it a second lease on life but much of these plans were in motion before the game even came out.

We don't have numbers past 4 million. Obviously the game sold more than that at this point, but how much more we do not know. Regardless, there is nothing suggesting the game didn't sell as well as ND hoped.

Kssio_Aug

I wouldn't mind more Uncharted, in fact, that could be pretty great. The problem is that, for some time now, Naughty Dog has taken their games way too seriously. I'd like Uncharted to go back to that very light adventure tone, centered on funny characters, jokes and pretty places for action. If they keep trying to make it more and more serious, then I think they shouldn't even bother.

Top Bottom