• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Series Not Over Yet, According to Naughty Dog

Airbus Jr

Banned
The new recruiter states that she'll be building teams for the "legacy of Uncharted."

Some happy news has emerged today for those hoping for new adventures in the Uncharted universe. Christina-Marie Drake McBrearty, a new recruiter for Naughty Dog, took to LinkedIn to address her role at the company and what she hopes to accomplish going forward. Apparently, bringing the Uncharted series into the future is one of those goals.

The recruiter states that she is now “scouting for talent at every level,” and is not only bringing in new creators to work on new titles but also “for the legacy of Uncharted.” McBrearty notes that Uncharted is “very personal and specific” to her and her family.

“Being related to Sir Francis Drake, the Uncharted franchise feels very personal and I’m so honored to be working with those who brought aspects of our family story to life,” she writes.

While Naughty Dog has previously told fans to “never say never” to a potential Uncharted 5, the company has also steered away from the series in recent years, focusing instead on a number of projects related to The Last of Us. Given the success of the recent Uncharted film, this may be the perfect time to revive the series for a new generation of fans.
The first game in the series, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, was released in 2007, with Uncharted: Among Thieves and Uncharted: Drake’s Deception following in 2009 and 2011. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End came in 2016 along with a standalone expansion Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in 2017. Several spin-offs have also followed, and each game in the core series has been remastered.

Most recently, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, a remastered version of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, was released for PlayStation 5 on January 28, 2022. According to a March leak, the game will be making its way to PC via Steam on July 15, 2022. The recent Uncharted film starring Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg has made almost $400 million globally.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Star Wars Reaction GIF

Majormaxxx

The new recruiter states that she'll be building teams for the "legacy of Uncharted."

Some happy news has emerged today for those hoping for new adventures in the Uncharted universe. Christina-Marie Drake McBrearty, a new recruiter for Naughty Dog, took to LinkedIn to address her role at the company and what she hopes to accomplish going forward. Apparently, bringing the Uncharted series into the future is one of those goals.

The recruiter states that she is now “scouting for talent at every level,” and is not only bringing in new creators to work on new titles but also “for the legacy of Uncharted.” McBrearty notes that Uncharted is “very personal and specific” to her and her family.

“Being related to Sir Francis Drake, the Uncharted franchise feels very personal and I’m so honored to be working with those who brought aspects of our family story to life,” she writes.

While Naughty Dog has previously told fans to “never say never” to a potential Uncharted 5, the company has also steered away from the series in recent years, focusing instead on a number of projects related to The Last of Us. Given the success of the recent Uncharted film, this may be the perfect time to revive the series for a new generation of fans.
The first game in the series, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, was released in 2007, with Uncharted: Among Thieves and Uncharted: Drake’s Deception following in 2009 and 2011. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End came in 2016 along with a standalone expansion Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in 2017. Several spin-offs have also followed, and each game in the core series has been remastered.

Most recently, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, a remastered version of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, was released for PlayStation 5 on January 28, 2022. According to a March leak, the game will be making its way to PC via Steam on July 15, 2022. The recent Uncharted film starring Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg has made almost $400 million globally.

Did I read this correctly? She claims she's also related to Francis Drake? Lol he didn't have children.

Lupin25

I thought he didn’t have his kids.

…And we all knew Sony was returning to Uncharted, but that was almost guaranteed once the movie performed well. Just goes hand-in-hand.

Fahdis

The series is extremely tired at this point.
because naughty dog should not waste their talent on this.
This franchise plays the same every sequel...
Because it's like Gears of War/AC and so on just more of the same. Naughty Dog are very talented, they should try something new and i also think they should try a new genre,

Yea no, I think this is completely subjective to how much the franchise sells which is factually in spades. What you may feel isn't exactly reality with 40+ Millions games being sold. AC still sells shit tons of games as well. Some innovation or re-invention of the formula doesn't hurt.

Shmunter

Uncharted needs to at least take an entire gen off at this point. Let people miss it for a few more years at. Least.
I dunno, the franchise is as much parts the environment and story as with the gameplay. Give us quality with those two and the same stop and pop gameplay gets carried.

Many other games just don’t have the entire package and so cannot sustain the sequels.

Toots

Gold Member
Being related to Sir Francis Drake
She didn’t get the point of the story…
Anyway i remember playing U4 epilogue and watching the cover stories on the wall of the house showing the archeological finding Nathan and Elena made through the years. I always though it would make a great uncharted. No gunfights (they went legal after 4 so no need for thugs), only exploration and enigmas. You can maybe have a gun that could serve as a tool for gameplay purpose (shoot locks, dislodge items, etc.) but no killing.
Amp up the difficulty of the riddles and make exploration a bit less evident and voilà !

Arun1910

I love the Uncharted games.

Imo Lost Legacy showed they don't need Nathan as the main character because ND can write solid characters for the most part.

Give me a game with Chloe again, Sam, Sully or even Nates daughter following in her fathers footsteps.

rubhen925

First the news of a The Last of Us Remake and now this. They need to move on and make some new IPs. It's a bit too soon to go back to Uncharted. The series had a perfect ending. Why go back at the risk of potentially ruining the series. If they are gonna go back to Uncharted, they should introduce a whole slew of new protagonists, leave Nate and his crew alone...

Ar¢tos

Butwhy.gif
They are some of the most boring and illogical games I have ever played.
Beautiful yes, but boring.
I still don't understand how 40 bad guys can come out of a single van or why they come out in waves instead of all at the same time...

It’s fertile ground for prequels and money in the bank as far as brand
it's so obvious and smart, and would make a lot of fans so happy that they totally won't develop the prequels people want but instead they'll push useless reboots that will make their fans angry.

100%

A new studio, or the 'youth academy' arm of naughty dog will take on Uncharted. It's the way Sony rolls; A team make new IP A/B team make sequel, B/C team make more games in franchise, C team continues with DLC and legacy games, A team make new IP etc etc. In time the C team learn how to make good games and have exposure to success without the pressure of a new IP. The C team then ends up on par with the B team, the B team on par with the A team, and the A team splits and does more new IPs.

Naughty Dog, SSM, Insomniac, GG, all have similar set ups.

I love the Uncharted games.

Imo Lost Legacy showed they don't need Nathan as the main character because ND can write solid characters for the most part.

Give me a game with Chloe again, Sam, Sully or even Nates daughter following in her fathers footsteps.
That would be the worst idea possible. One of the best thing about the game is that purpose, love and family aren't necessarily about bloodline.
Nathan isn't really a Drake, and even if we don't know anything about his biological father he found a real one in Sully. Just don't make it a family business please. I already hate that they trow at us a brother out nowhere in the fourth mainline game, it's so stupid it hurts.
If they really want a "new generation" it would best make sense about a new orphan not blood related to Nathan. That's the point.
Since they already have Sam (sigh) at least make him something more than a plot gimmick for a one and done game. He seems still prone to adventure at the end of the series, while Nathan totally retired. Sam should be the mentor of the new generation at this point. At least they should try to squeeze something good from him.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Why are people pissed ? No no please nomore awsome games please, wtf is wrong with some of you ? 4 awsome games please no don't make a 5th awsome game with epic set pieces .
Anyways , that's good news ! I always want more Uncharted !
I for one didn't like the change of direction after booting Amy. I LOVED the new gameplay, the spectacular new graphics, and the absolutely awesome multiplayer. I didn't appreciate the wokification of the game and the decline in quality of its pacing.

Kupfer

I don't care about you guys hating on Uncharted, I played all of them once when they where released and it was fun. Uncharted 4 was different and I had to start it twice for it to click, but in the end I liked it.
I'm ready for a new Uncharted. It's been 5 years since I played LL and I really want to see what ND can do with a PS5.

I for one didn't like the change of direction after booting Amy. I LOVED the new gameplay, the spectacular new graphics, and the absolutely awesome multiplayer. I didn't appreciate the wokification of the game and the decline in quality of its pacing.
Sure! I agree , but i still think all 4 games are awsome ! And i won't complain if we do get a 5th one , it's exactly the same as people complaining about remakes , hey you loved the original and din't like the remake , stick with the original , nobody is forcing anyone to play the new game !

Majormaxxx

I don't care about you guys hating on Uncharted, I played all of them once when they where released and it was fun. Uncharted 4 was different and I had to start it twice for it to click, but in the end I liked it.
I'm ready for a new Uncharted. It's been 5 years since I played LL and I really want to see what ND can do with a PS5.
I bought a ps3 and played the trilogy back to back maybe 2-3 times in 2011. Then got an expensive vita to play Golden Abyss. Post office stole the game I ordered, so bought Golden Abyss twice. I absolutely loved Uncharted. Read the novel as well as the comic book. Played U4 and LL only once so far. U4 looks awesome but something is off with its soul. They even changed the awesome composer. There was absolutely no need to bring so much more gravity to this pulp action advanture. It turned from adventure with a pinch of feels into feels mixed with adventure.

Top Bottom