• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection on PC leak just killed my desire to get a PS5 (Techradar)

"It’s almost inevitable that a new Uncharted will at some point turn up for the PS5, and that meant that I was sold on eventually buying one, despite mainly playing on PC.

However, if the Uncharted Collection is coming to PC, it could mean that any future Uncharted games will also turn up on the platform, that means I’m now less interested in buying a PS5."

Since seemingly NO ONE read the actual article, and I'm tired of explaining myself over and over...

It works both fucking ways. Can anyone recall articles like this when Half-life 2 was ported to Xbox? And that didn't take 5 years.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No sane person is gonna wanna wait 5-7 years for a ps5 game on pc.
but the pc tryhards do.
They will not get even cheapest used 150usd ps4 slim to play some of best games ever (bloodborne, uc4, tlou2) and will stubbornly keep themselves from this amazing experiences.... only to wait 5-10 years for pc version that will be full of issues and most likely suck and give them a bad idea about the game anyway

Graciaus

but the pc tryhards do.
They will not get even cheapest used 150usd ps4 slim to play some of best games ever (bloodborne, uc4, tlou2) and will stubbornly keep themselves from this amazing experiences.... only to wait 5-10 years for pc version that will be full of issues and most likely suck and give them a bad idea about the game anyway
That's some hardcore brand loyalty. Two of those games already suck btw.

but the pc tryhards do.
I bought a PS4 just for Bloodborne. Great game, one of my all-time favorites. Wouldn't do it again, though, especially if I knew the game was coming to a platform I already owned, even if it's years later.

There are enough great games on PC that I'll never run out of stuff to play. Waiting a few years or even losing out on one of them really isn't a big deal if I can just spend my time playing something else.

sunnysideup

Banned
Saying a game is fully exclusive and built around the PlayStation hardware etc etc..... labeling each game 'Only on PlayStation' for years and years, only to then port them.....

It is lying whatever way you cut it. It is also a fundamental misunderstanding of why exclusives exist.... they exist as a facet of competition, to attract people to your platform, much like high performance or services might attract someone.

By putting exclusives on PC, they are basically admitting that there is no competition in the industry, which is arrogant and shortsighted.

Steam Deck is coming out next year and then someone can buy one of those for 500 dollars and play all PC, Xbox, Gamepass and any PS titles all in one place.....
PlayStation should take care of PlayStation...they had a whole company for PC games called Sony Online Entertainment, now called Daybreak games and they spun them off several years ago. They just released Aliens Fireteam Elite.... if they wanted to put games on PC, why didn't they just keep SOE???

Now they have started a mobile initiative too despite Sony music having one of the biggest mobile games on the market...so they will have 2 different mobile game divisions??

It's so unfocused, such a distraction from console gaming and we are feeling that as PlayStation customers.... I can feel that we are not the focus right now.... where are the updates to the UI? Where is the communication?

Why did they buy Nixxes instead of a studio that can actually make a damned game?????

PlayStation as a console is the breadwinner for them...without it they would be nothing, that is a fact and they are not taking care of that business.
Absolutely fucking nailed it.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I just don't get it.

If you have a PS5, and you want to play a PS5 game on it, great. Why does it matter if PC gets it? It reeks of being a child being upset that someone else has the same toy as them. Like you're wrapping up your entire personality in this persona of a "Playstation Gamer" - if PC gets it, all of the sudden you're not interesting anymore. Someone else has the same toy, so you're no longer special.

Do people think if it does well on PC, or less people buy a PS5, and then Sony is going to stop making new consoles? That's really the only viable fear I can understand, but logically, I just don't see it happening. Console gaming is still quite huge. I can't see folks who have no interest in PC gaming all the sudden saying "You know, I want to play Uncharted, so I'd rather buy a gaming PC than a console" -- and EVEN IF that did happen, so what? It's not like Sony would just say "Hey, we're not gonna make games anymore, cuz it doesn't make sense unless we can sell hardware" -- doesn't Sony make next-to-nothing on hardware?

Almost all of my friends play on Console over PC. (I have both, and like Japanese Culture, I am an expert). I play quite a few games on my Xbox that I could play on PC, because sometimes it's just easier to turn a box on while I'm laying on my couch, and it just works. No worries about graphic settings, drivers, controller pairing, etc. All that said, I do currently plan on buying a PS5 eventually for the exclusives, I'm just gonna wait for the mid-cycle refresh.

Bryank75

Banned
I just don't get it.

If you have a PS5, and you want to play a PS5 game on it, great. Why does it matter if PC gets it? It reeks of being a child being upset that someone else has the same toy as them. Like you're wrapping up your entire personality in this persona of a "Playstation Gamer" - if PC gets it, all of the sudden you're not interesting anymore. Someone else has the same toy, so you're no longer special.

Do people think if it does well on PC, or less people buy a PS5, and then Sony is going to stop making new consoles? That's really the only viable fear I can understand, but logically, I just don't see it happening. Console gaming is still quite huge. I can't see folks who have no interest in PC gaming all the sudden saying "You know, I want to play Uncharted, so I'd rather buy a gaming PC than a console" -- and EVEN IF that did happen, so what? It's not like Sony would just say "Hey, we're not gonna make games anymore, cuz it doesn't make sense unless we can sell hardware" -- doesn't Sony make next-to-nothing on hardware?

Almost all of my friends play on Console over PC. (I have both, and like Japanese Culture, I am an expert). I play quite a few games on my Xbox that I could play on PC, because sometimes it's just easier to turn a box on while I'm laying on my couch, and it just works. No worries about graphic settings, drivers, controller pairing, etc. All that said, I do currently plan on buying a PS5 eventually for the exclusives, I'm just gonna wait for the mid-cycle refresh.

"Like you're wrapping up your entire personality in this persona of a "Playstation Gamer""

How ironic with the whole 'PC Master Race', entitlement of PC gamers and the constant attacks on console gamers...

I buy a Switch for Nintendo games, I buy a PlayStation for their games and being a PC gamer is a decision you made...if you don't buy a PlayStation, you simply shouldn't get the games that were meant to be an incentive for people to buy that hardware.

What this whole thing is, is a massive sense of entitlement from PC gamers.... constant port-begging and harassment.

If I wanted PC games, I would get a new rig and I used to be a PC gamer.

The homogenization of the industry is not something to celebrate.
The undermining of competition between platforms is NOT a good thing and in the short term it benefits you with a port but in the longterm, it does not push other platform holders to invest and create new exclusives in response to another platforms software offerings.

Selfish wants that damage the industry overall.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I really dont see how this is a bad take. This is the most obvious conclusion to Sony porting games to PC. If there is other means to getting your games, why would you buy a PS5?

And I am surprised at so many people who seem to think Sony wont be porting all their games to PC when they have literally come out and said this to their investors and on their own playstation blog. This is the new reality. They didnt buy Nixxes to port PS3 games to PC. They might not do day one releases for the next year or two, but thats the end game.

mrBandoza

Neo Member
Then why dont put the games on xbox too?
Why allow only PC players and not xbox? Oh yeah, Sony want people on its platform. Thats why porting the games to pc is counter productive.

I think that is what Microsoft is doing and what Sony should also prepare themselves to do. Create a service like Netflix that aren't bound to hardware. I think they would reach more players that way instead of forcing them to play games on a particular box. That doesn't mean the hardware will go away but you are not forced to own the hardware to enjoy content. Like you don't need a Sony TV to play Playstation.

But of course as it stands today you can't just flip a switch without loosing a lot of revenue so it will take time but I believe we will get there.

RavenSan

How ironic with the whole 'PC Master Race', entitlement of PC gamers and the constant attacks on console gamers...
Mate I literally said "I have an Xbox, and quite frequently play games on I could play on PC on it, and plan on buying a PS5 eventually.

I'm so far away from the "pc master race" crowd it's unreal.

Good point, how many specific studio DVD/Blu Ray players did you buy? I know I had a Universal DVD player, a Sony DVD player, a Warner Bros DVD player.... oh wait, you can just...buy the media you want, and enjoy the media you want, when you want, regardless of what plastic box you bought? And you're trying to convince me that's a bad thing?

It's not selfish, you knob. It's wanting to lower the barrier to entry for everyone to enjoy a medium I love. I can afford a PS5. I've had opportunity to buy one. Not everyone is that lucky.

Interfectum

Saying a game is fully exclusive and built around the PlayStation hardware etc etc..... labeling each game 'Only on PlayStation' for years and years, only to then port them.....

It is lying whatever way you cut it. It is also a fundamental misunderstanding of why exclusives exist.... they exist as a facet of competition, to attract people to your platform, much like high performance or services might attract someone.

By putting exclusives on PC, they are basically admitting that there is no competition in the industry, which is arrogant and shortsighted.

Steam Deck is coming out next year and then someone can buy one of those for 500 dollars and play all PC, Xbox, Gamepass and any PS titles all in one place.....
PlayStation should take care of PlayStation...they had a whole company for PC games called Sony Online Entertainment, now called Daybreak games and they spun them off several years ago. They just released Aliens Fireteam Elite.... if they wanted to put games on PC, why didn't they just keep SOE???

Now they have started a mobile initiative too despite Sony music having one of the biggest mobile games on the market...so they will have 2 different mobile game divisions??

It's so unfocused, such a distraction from console gaming and we are feeling that as PlayStation customers.... I can feel that we are not the focus right now.... where are the updates to the UI? Where is the communication?

Why did they buy Nixxes instead of a studio that can actually make a damned game?????

PlayStation as a console is the breadwinner for them...without it they would be nothing, that is a fact and they are not taking care of that business.
I think the worst part is they are allowing Microsoft to dictate the direction of the industry. They are now copying from their playbook and porting all of their games to PC... the problem is they don't have the ecosystem or tech in place to match how MS does it. They have essentially got in the same lane as Xbox but are miles behind. No trophy support, no crossbuy, no cross save, etc.

This seems to infect all parts of what Sony is doing with Playstation as well... Sony had cloud gaming for years, did nothing with it now MS is well past them. They also had a subscription service they are now finally trying to do something with. MS is well past them. Sony is also starting to invest in exclusive multiplayer / GaaS titles... again MS is already there and well ahead.

Maybe we aren't seeing the full Sony playbook yet and that's okay but to me it seems like they are perfectly okay following the third place console manufacturer into the new generation. Literally the only thing Sony has going for it right now in the console space is the brand name "Playstation" and they are completely unmatched when it comes to single player experiences.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Greatest platformer/shooter ever.
Celebrate Nathan Drake GIF by Naughty Dog

Bryank75

Banned
I think the worst part is they are allowing Microsoft to dictate the direction of the industry. They are now copying from their playbook and porting all of their games to PC... the problem is they don't have the ecosystem or tech in place to match how MS does it. They have essentially got in the same lane as Xbox but are miles behind. No trophy support, no crossbuy, no cross save, etc.

This seems to infect all parts of what Sony is doing with Playstation as well... Sony had cloud gaming for years, did nothing with it now MS is well past them. They also had a subscription service they are now finally trying to do something with. MS is well past them. Sony is also starting to invest in exclusive multiplayer / GaaS titles... again MS is already there and well ahead.

Maybe we aren't seeing the full Sony playbook yet and that's okay but to me it seems like they are perfectly okay following the third place console manufacturer into the new generation. Literally the only thing Sony has going for it right now in the console space is the brand name "Playstation" and they are completely unmatched when it comes to single player experiences.

I agree with pretty much all of that... the company seems to have become significantly worse under Jim Ryan.

I need to see some improvements, particularly in communications, updates, expanding the 1st party studios and a rollback on ports.

In short I need to see a refocusing back on what matters... PlayStation as a console and it's unique, exclusive experiences. Double down on what they do well.... they DO NOT and have never done services well and it's not a direction I appreciate.

Bryank75

Banned
Mate I literally said "I have an Xbox, and quite frequently play games on I could play on PC on it, and plan on buying a PS5 eventually.

I'm so far away from the "pc master race" crowd it's unreal.

Good point, how many specific studio DVD/Blu Ray players did you buy? I know I had a Universal DVD player, a Sony DVD player, a Warner Bros DVD player.... oh wait, you can just...buy the media you want, and enjoy the media you want, when you want, regardless of what plastic box you bought? And you're trying to convince me that's a bad thing?

It's not selfish, you knob. It's wanting to lower the barrier to entry for everyone to enjoy a medium I love. I can afford a PS5. I've had opportunity to buy one. Not everyone is that lucky.

Maybe you don't remember so well but UHD and Bluray did have exclusive films at the start but the competition was quickly resolved after a year or two.
When UHD was destroyed by Bluray, all the film companies went to bluray.

So, media being available everywhere is still a hallmark of a lack of competition.

If you can afford a PS5, why are you complaining? It's cheap for the entertainment value it provides..

In some countries they need to offer financing options...like in Brazil to make it more accessible, that is all.

smbu2000

I can kind of see where the author is coming from. If you are used to buying a PS system for Uncharted games, then seeing this collection coming out for the PC (that the author already owns), then that would portend future (PS5) Uncharted games also eventually making their way to the PC. Albeit not right away, but still they don't have to try and spend time/money trying to get a hard to find PS5 system and of course save them money in the long run.

With Xbox, you already know that the games will all come out for Xbox and PC (some earlier/later than others, e.g. Flight Sim releasing first on PC, then later Xbox), so you don't have any uncertainty. With PS exclusives, they might or might not come out on PC as well. For example, somebody could be thinking "Should I buy a PS5, or maybe by the time it releases on PC I will have upgraded my PC and have a better experience on that over a PS5."
Or maybe their PC is already better than a PS5 and they just have to wait it out.

Interfectum

I agree with pretty much all of that... the company seems to have become significantly worse under Jim Ryan.

I need to see some improvements, particularly in communications, updates, expanding the 1st party studios and a rollback on ports.

In short I need to see a refocusing back on what matters... PlayStation as a console and it's unique, exclusive experiences. Double down on what they do well.... they DO NOT and have never done services well and it's not a direction I appreciate.
Sony just needs to keep it simple. Want PS Studios games? Buy the latest Playstation. Them getting into this tech war with MS is only strengthening Xbox's position in the marketplace. Microsoft on PC, mobile, console, smart TV, etc make sense because their future is Game Pass. I'm just really not seeing Sony's end game here. Again, it feels like Sony is basically going to follow MS but will be about 4-5 years behind in tech.

Nintendo has already solved the issue of going against tech giants... keep your IP close to the chest and only on your hardware.

Last edited:

LMFAO

The business is making money. The world is changing and Sony has to change with it or get left behind. Look how upset you are and they haven't even ported over anything really recent.. You're gonna feel some type of way BIG TIME in the future when Sony brings out their games day and date..

Hopefully by then you'll have come to terms with the reality that you aren't the center of the universe and the more people that can play games is better.

RavenSan

Maybe you don't remember so well but UHD and Bluray did have exclusive films at the start but the competition was quickly resolved after a year or two.
When UHD was destroyed by Bluray, all the film companies went to bluray.

So, media being available everywhere is still a hallmark of a lack of competition.

If you can afford a PS5, why are you complaining? It's cheap for the entertainment value it provides..

In some countries they need to offer financing options...like in Brazil to make it more accessible, that is all.

Dude everyone hated the UHD/BluRay war. I don't know a single person on this earth who said "You know what, I love having competing standards, and either missing out on my favorite movies, or having to buy two separate devices that perform the same basic function!" -- Anyone who cared about physical media was relieved when UHD died, because that meant we only had to care about a single format. It's not a "lack of competition" because the movie studios still have to MAKE MOVIES WORTH BUYING IN THE FIRST PLACE. It was better for the industry, because 100% of people who wanted physical media could buy it, without any additional barriers to entry.

I'm complaining because I have empathy for other people who aren't as fortunate as me. I remember when I couldn't afford every gaming system, and had to pick, and I remember hating that I had to choose between them.

Financing options? You'd rather see people have to finance a device, pay interest to another company, rather than see your precious "exclusives" be made more readily available?

At this point, I'm actually quite convinced you're trolling. Bravo for getting me to bite.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Yep, well said. And if I were Sony, I would be a bit apprehensive given these facts. They are on top right now and all of this PC porting is just extra revenue. They make billions off PS+ subs alone, but what happens when the tide turns and they are no longer in first place? Well, then they no longer make billions off PS+ and they no longer get those insane digital revenues from Fortnite and other big third party games. And unlike MS which has different forms of revenue like Gamepass and the PC store, Sony's console business relies heavily on console sales and console subs.

Interfectum

LMFAO

The business is making money. The world is changing and Sony has to change with it or get left behind. Look how upset you are and they haven't even ported over anything really recent.. You're gonna feel some type of way BIG TIME in the future when Sony brings out their games day and date..

Hopefully by then you'll have come to terms with the reality that you aren't the center of the universe and the more people that can play games is better.
Microsoft is changing the industry to compete... Switch is an archaic device with outdated network and system tech. It's the #1 platform. Why? Because you have to buy it to play Nintendo games.

People here want Sony to chase and compete with a trillion dollar company with ports and streaming and all kinds of bullshit when they don't have to. People still buy consoles and they will for as long as it has the games they want to play.

Last edited:

JCK75

I mean I have to admit I feel the same way.. I'm not a big console gamer..
Microsoft gives me my games on PC but the reason I got an Xbox as I can play them across both platforms and everything between them in in sync and I get the benefit of gamepass on both platforms.
I enjoyed God of War, Uncharted and I want to play GOT, but that's really all I want out of my Playstation.. I have a PS4 pro just got those games and I legit would never feel the need to even touch it again if I got those games on PC.

MonarchJT

Banned
No sane person is gonna wanna wait 5-7 years for a ps5 game on pc.
you was sitting Sony manager table when you guys choose 5/7 years? because i highly suspect after seeing the success of their games on PC they will choose release 1 max 2 years after launch and investors will extremely happy about it

Last edited:

TheTony316

This doesn't make sense. Why even buy a PS5 for old Uncharted games? If he really wanted to play those he would have bought a PS3/PS4 ages ago.

Bryank75

Banned
LMFAO

Sony and Nintendo are more profitable than ever with the traditional model.

The one losing money is Xbox and guess what? They put their games on PC day 1.

Graciaus

Yep, well said. And if I were Sony, I would be a bit apprehensive given these facts. They are on top right now and all of this PC porting is just extra revenue. They make billions off PS+ subs alone, but what happens when the tide turns and they are no longer in first place? Well, then they no longer make billions off PS+ and they no longer get those insane digital revenues from Fortnite and other big third party games. And unlike MS which has different forms of revenue like Gamepass and the PC store, Sony's console business relies heavily on console sales and console subs.
Paying for online is dumb and good luck trying to get a PC gamer to do it. The benefits of PS+ are all free on PC. A person would be much more likely to buy a used system at the end of the generation or just wait for an emulator. The windows store is a joke which is why the Steam ports have been huge.
Microsoft is changing the industry to compete... Switch is an archaic device with outdated network and system tech. It's the #1 platform. Why? Because you have to buy it to play Nintendo games.

People here want Sony to chase and compete with a trillion dollar company with ports and streaming and all kinds of bullshit when they don't have to. People still buy consoles and they will for as long as it has the games they want to play.
You are ignoring the huge 3rd party sales and the main draw in that it is portable.
Sony and Nintendo are more profitable than ever with the traditional model.

The one losing money is Xbox and guess what? They put their games on PC day 1.
That doesn't mean much when Xbox has always been fighting a losing battle. The US is the only territory that cares really about it. If they hadn't bought studios they would have been even worse off. Their old IPs don't have the power they once did.

Bryank75

Banned
Paying for online is dumb and good luck trying to get a PC gamer to do it. The benefits of PS+ are all free on PC. A person would be much more likely to buy a used system at the end of the generation or just wait for an emulator. The windows store is a joke which is why the Steam ports have been huge.

You are ignoring the huge 3rd party sales and the main draw in that it is portable.

That doesn't mean much when Xbox has always been fighting a losing battle. The US is the only territory that cares really about it. If they hadn't bought studios they would have been even worse off. Their old IPs don't have the power they once did.

Buying the studios was like throwing a rock in the sea.... sure it makes a splash but it can never stop the tide.

but the pc tryhards do.
Honestly the first Uncharted game is not going to be interesting in 2021.

Some games age like Japanese whiskey others age like milk.

Dream-Knife

Banned
"Like you're wrapping up your entire personality in this persona of a "Playstation Gamer""

I buy a Switch for Nintendo games, I buy a PlayStation for their games and being a PC gamer is a decision you made...if you don't buy a PlayStation, you simply shouldn't get the games that were meant to be an incentive for people to buy that hardware.

What this whole thing is, is a massive sense of entitlement from PC gamers.... constant port-begging and harassment.

If I wanted PC games, I would get a new rig and I used to be a PC gamer.

The undermining of competition between platforms is NOT a good thing and in the short term it benefits you with a port but in the longterm, it does not push other platform holders to invest and create new exclusives in response to another platforms software offerings.

Selfish wants that damage the industry overall.
I like you bryank. I'll be your first friend on Steam.

Also, PS gamers are port begging HL: Alyx for psvr2.

but the pc tryhards do.

A bad idea of the game for me would be stick aiming, 30 fps and no mods. I enjoyed Days Gone (which was a great port) a lot more on PC.

zedinen

The decision to bring PlayStation exclusives to the PC will increase PS5 hardware sales in Asia and Eastern Europe, while sales in Western Europe and North America will remain unchanged. Sony's software sales will increase as well.

Consoles are irrelevant in Asia. The PlayStation brand has sold 2 million units in India since 1994; the Switch has sold 1M+ in China , etc.

Western Europe and North America are maxed out. These markets are dominated by console versions of games available on PC, while Sony and Microsoft's exclusives fill gaps in the market (less than 20% of software sales). The primary advantages consoles have over PC are costs and ease of use: bringing Sony or Microsoft exclusives to PC won't change anything.

PlayStation and Xbox always sell 170M - 180M combined because they are well differentiated from PC (cost and ease of use) and Nintendo (third party support, hardware, digital ecoystem).

The number of users peaked 20 years ago; PSN and Xbox network revenues, the engine of growth, will peak soon, if they haven't already.

The only way to expand their businesses is through PC/mobile gaming.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
but the pc tryhards do.

No, they don't. I AM a PC tryhard, and I still bought a ps4, the Uncharted Collection after buying them all on ps3 and getting UC4 and 5(I meant LL). People that want these games will get them. I'm part of PC enthusiast communities and the people who are hardcore PC only are in the minority. Many of us own several consoles.

That said, the PS4 PC ports are getting better and better, so if someone really wants to wait for them before playing them, more power to them I guess.
Yet they keep releasing older PS5 games on PC, again and again.

There are no PS5 games on pc yet, and I doubt there will be for quite some time.

Last edited:

manfestival

The only reason I could've ever seen myself going after a ps5 was just to get some of those games remastered in ps5 versions. Woe is me for now having an option on something other than ps5.

No, they don't. I AM a PC tryhard, and I still bought a ps4, the Uncharted Collection after buying them all on ps3 and getting UC4 and 5. People that want these games will get them. I'm part of PC enthusiast communities and the people who are hardcore PC only are in the minority. Many of us own several consoles.

That said, the PS4 PC ports are getting better and better, so if someone really wants to wait for them before playing them, more power to them I guess.

There are no PS5 games on pc yet, and I doubt there will be for quite some time.
This. I own RDR2, HZD, DS ; and maybe some others I'm forgetting now, on both PS4p and PC [got PS5 as well, but nothing interests me on that as of yet]. The notion that PC owners can't afford consoles or despise them so much that they will only ever play on PC is silly.

edi: add Days Gone to the list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom