• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection on PC leak just killed my desire to get a PS5 (Techradar)

martino

How so? Really?
If you main PC, and only buy a Playstation down the road for exclusives....why in the hell would you buy said Playstation if said exclusives will eventually hit PC? You wouldn't. Which is what this guy is saying, and I'm sure there are quite a few people that do exactly that.
1) Why do you think you are part of an important part of mindshare ? imo you're in a niche but i don't have numbers and no part of my job give me time to search and compile data to have a better idea.
2) Do you really need that much thinking to see that the small margin sony gain from selling hardware will never outweight the loss on the exclusive software in your scenario....(down the road mean you will buy them at 1/2 or 1/3 the price or worst second hand and sony gain nothing here)

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I'll say this though as a PS5 owner, If we don't get 60fps patches for U4 and LL and the PC versions run at 60, I'll be somewhat pissed off.

ClosBSAS

lmao, they are old ass games that are not even that good besides 1 or 2 games....whats up with all these whiny articles about sony going to pc? jesus. it can only mean good things for ps5 ports.

ClosBSAS

These will happen a few months after the PS6 launches.
nah, we all saw the original trailer for demons souls where it said PC....so nah, in a few years at most, itll be coming to PC. Bloodborne will destroy sales on PC and thats coming for sure and that will set the bar for Demons Souls.

Rippa

And? If a game is good it's still good years later, no? Not having to beg for a 60FPS patch alone is worth the wait IMO, not to mention getting the complete ultimate/definitive/DC edition from the start instead of double-triple dipping.

Oh I’m fine with it really, the more people get to enjoy their masterpieces the better.

There are some people around these parts that believe that PC will get upcoming PS exclusives day one. And that’s just being naive.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

And you now have the complication of Ratchet and Demon's requiring an SSD for example. True, high end gamers will almost certainly have an SSD but what about a significant portion that don't?
Why do people think SSDs arent a thing on PC? Even non gaming pcs have one nowadays, and its not like its expensive either

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
More in the link.

I can see more people doing this if Sony keeps bringing more games to PC. I don’t know why Sony thinks they can break away from what made PlayStation so successful and a big brand.

They thought they could sneak Horizon ZD and Days Gone on PC and come up with lies and excuses about why those two came to PC. Every damn interview with Hermen Hulst is a new bullshit explanation about their PC support. First it was just HZD and “not all games are coming to PC.” Now it’s the best experience day one is on PS5 and 2 years later PC PR crap.

They’re not going to get away with releasing their well known bigger games on PC. Sales will be affected.
laugh-laughing-hysterically.gif

faraany3k

Banned
It is Sony's decision. People who bought a single console are not entitled to tell Sony what they need to do.

Sony makes most of the money by selling games and subscription.

cormack12

Gold Member
Why do people think SSDs arent a thing on PC? Even non gaming pcs have one nowadays, and its not like its expensive either

That's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. I'm saying consoles provide a consistent SSD baseline, whereas the PC market is mroe diverse and off different quality. Why do PC exclusives not make it mandatory on the minimum specs and design their games around SSDs now? SSDs in console are going to change how those games are 'designed' not how they run. Why aren't PC exclusives already there? Even Star Citizen only 'strongly recommends' one - if everyone on PC has an SSD why not make it mandatory?

It's not a 'me' or 'us' thing, it is currently what is happening and it will only be a non trivial issue when third party games stop being able to run on 7200 HDD. Before that we obviously have to discard the shitty 5400 HDD of last gen. And even then, I highly doubt minimum specs for Ubi games or EA games will say things like PCIe4 SSD required. It will probably just say SSD (SATA III). At a push you might get m.2 specified a few years down the line.

And at that stage it's about the commercials. The min req for Ratchet on PC might state:
- PCIe Gen 3 NVM SSD (3500MB/s)

How much of the broad market is in that bracket? Then they have to ask is it worth the port costs to only target that small portion of the entire market.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
More in the link.

I can see more people doing this if Sony keeps bringing more games to PC. I don’t know why Sony thinks they can break away from what made PlayStation so successful and a big brand.

They thought they could sneak Horizon ZD and Days Gone on PC and come up with lies and excuses about why those two came to PC. Every damn interview with Hermen Hulst is a new bullshit explanation about their PC support. First it was just HZD and “not all games are coming to PC.” Now it’s the best experience day one is on PS5 and 2 years later PC PR crap.

They’re not going to get away with releasing their well known bigger games on PC. Sales will be affected.
They are in this to sell games. Who fucking cares what platform they are on as long as they can play the games they enjoy? Crying about this is pretty pathetic. BooHoo people without a PS4/5 can play some games, you must be so hurt by this.

And yes, sales will be affected. PC gamers will buy these games and Sony will make money. Such an asshole thing for them to do right? They should require people buy their expensive console only and not betray them or whatever bad thing they are doing to you.

I have a PS5 just for exclusives. I will buy maybe 10 games total and some will be used and I will resell too. The system was sold at a loss and is in demand. If I could get these games on PC, I couldn't buy used or resell and someone else could have my console. It would be a net positive for Sony. Then there are people who would never buy Sony games because they are PC only. Selling games to this crowd expands their market and is good for Sony. Why fucking cry about this?

Whitecrow

Banned
It is Sony's decision. People who bought a single console are not entitled to tell Sony what they need to do.

Sony makes most of the money by selling games and subscription.
When you buy a console, you are paying for a value which mostly comes from exclusives.

If exclusives go to other platforms the value you paid for diminishes.

Why is it so hard to understand?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This only matters to people who get off on specific hardware game sales numbers.
If I have a ps5 and a pc it doesn’t matter I’m still buying a version of the game one way or another. That game still gets sale.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
When you buy a console, you are paying for a value which mostly comes from exclusives.

It’s ridiculous because you are not placing value in those games but the console itself.

Last edited:
ps5 upgrade? like ps4 owners or a ps5 pro? because that's not happening for at least 1.5-2 years at the rate things are going, maybe more. It would be an asinine business move to do so.
What the devil are you going on about? I'm just talking about a ps5 patch to upgrade uncharted 4 to 60fps, maybe raise the resolution a touch as well. But the ps4 pro res is good enough we just need 60fps.

Uncharted 1 to 3 are fine as is on ps4 as they're already 60fps. I own the 3 separate discs of 1 through 3, Pal version and they're already good enough.

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

It certainly makes the games feel less special and the whole 'exclusive' marketing has now been turned into a lie.

The feeling of 'being tricked' is not nice. The feeling of being lied to is not pleasant as a customer.

I can see many PS gamers being turned off by this behavior...... I stopped buying all games (exclusives) day 1 due to my disappointment with their current strategy.

Better be ready for the backlash when they do announce the PC ports.... I'm gonna give them a hard time about it. You better believe.
What backlash? only a crazy nerd will have issue, im a PS fan and could care less if these get to see PC… they are old games now. We as gamers that know this franchise are older now as well.

Last edited:

gundalf

In my opinion the current surge of Sony titles on PC is just a temporary way to cope with not being able to produce and sell enough Hardware (PS5). At least in Europe stock of PS4/Pro has run dry on all major retailers and no PS5 in sight, so PC it is for Sony to push their Software. Though don't hold your breath of Sony keep doing this once they resolve the supply issues for the PS5 production.

sircaw

Banned
More in the link.

I think you should stop worrying about other people so much and focus on yourself more, as in your enjoyment of said games.

Like others are pointed out, a pc costs what, 2 times the cost of the console if not more.

You're meant to be playing the games for their art, their story, their experience, i mean who gives a hells-bells if someone else is playing it on another platform.

You need to stop worrying about pointless shit like this i am afraid,

The tech is fantastic, on both consoles i might add, play the games and stop worrying about shit you have no control over.

martino

Value cannot mainly come from exclusives for ether platform holder or users when they are not even double digits % of overall software sold (and owned games).

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My goodness. Every bit of news, stupid rumor gets a report.

How far has game "journalism" gone for attention.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The toilets at Sony HQ are the dirtiest of the big 3

Nintendo have the Forbes #1 rated custodial staff curated from the best school in the US

Microsoft reported to have best colon care for employees surpassing Activision last year for the first time since tracking began in '89.

Last edited:
Sony continually reiterates their intent to bring more games to PC. Buys a studio who specializes in PC ports, confirms that’s what they were brought in.

Yet continued shock from people when games for PC get leaked.

Come On Shrug GIF
For real, time to accept it people. It's not like if the blockbusters get ported (a lot of times with issues anyway) that your ps5 is worthless. Besides, not all exclusives will be ported.

NeonDelta

no it doesn't as you can still play those games.

why does it matter if those games can be played elsewhere.

Topher

Gold Member

This mentality is the problem. I don't have a PlayStation console for the sake of the console. I have the PlayStation console for the PlayStation games. And none of those games will become less fun to play if they are suddenly available on PC.

Having said that, I still enjoy owning the console itself. It is more convenient, physical discs available, I can trophy hunt, etc. There is value there to me and none of it is diminished because games are available on PC.

Guilty_AI

That's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. I'm saying consoles provide a consistent SSD baseline, whereas the PC market is mroe diverse and off different quality. Why do PC exclusives not make it mandatory on the minimum specs and design their games around SSDs now? SSDs in console are going to change how those games are 'designed' not how they run. Why aren't PC exclusives already there? Even Star Citizen only 'strongly recommends' one - if everyone on PC has an SSD why not make it mandatory?

It's not a 'me' or 'us' thing, it is currently what is happening and it will only be a non trivial issue when third party games stop being able to run on 7200 HDD. Before that we obviously have to discard the shitty 5400 HDD of last gen. And even then, I highly doubt minimum specs for Ubi games or EA games will say things like PCIe4 SSD required. It will probably just say SSD (SATA III). At a push you might get m.2 specified a few years down the line.

And at that stage it's about the commercials. The min req for Ratchet on PC might state:
- PCIe Gen 3 NVM SSD (3500MB/s)

How much of the broad market is in that bracket? Then they have to ask is it worth the port costs to only target that small portion of the entire market.
Theres really a lot wrong in this comment so i'll just say this:
Time to cool off a bit from all the PR you've been fed. SSDs are nice, but not some revolutionary thing. It was merely a specific bottleneck consoles used to have that has been fixed.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Theres really a lot wrong in this comment so i'll just say this:
Time to cool off a bit from all the PR you've been fed. SSDs are nice, but not some revolutionary thing. It was merely a specific bottleneck consoles used to have that has been fixed.

So just to clarify, your position is that telling a developer to design their game around an SSD has no tangible benefits than needing to cater for a spinning disk?

Neofire

I don't agree the path Sony is taking after supporting them since their inception. Unfortunately I can't realistically do anything about it. I can enjoy things while it lasts.

I do however want to address the false equivalency people draw between MS and Sony that just because of MS putting it's games on PC. There is a reason Microsoft has only moved about 80 million units tops inside of one generation. If you look at the amount of revenue Microsoft spends quarterly on its gaming sector you will get a clear picture.

Sony isn't drawing from a Trillion(with a T) market cap. They can't send 3/4 generations only moving 30-50 million units of hardware and still stay afloat like Microsoft can. While it's good others get to play Sony's iconic games. You don't alienate player base either.

Just my two cents 🤷🏿‍♂️

Oh and I wouldn't say "oh I'm not buying this console because this game is coming to another platform"

Kinda silly imo

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So just to clarify, your position is that telling a developer to design their game around an SSD has no tangible benefits than needing to cater for a spinning disk?
The biggest tangible benefit you'll see is the ability to use better quality assets on more open enviroments, so heres what you can expect:
-Open worlds can now have better looking enviroments.
-Closed levels will have less-of-a-hassle loadings in-between.

Its also important to note that neither of those have hard-on requirements for the fastest storage speeds in the market, nor can't make use of larger RAM pools to compensate for slower storages.
In fact, low RAM amount was one of the biggest issues when developing a game for consoles, and its likely Sony spent so much developing a fast SSD precisely because they wanted to compensate for that later on in the gen (the ps5 has 16gb system memory, when modern high end gaming pcs already have 32gb or even 64gb).

Last edited:

ChrisB

Without reading the article and just going by the title, I’m of the same stance and that’s why I upgraded my GPU instead of picking up a PS5.

Kabelly

I for one am excited that Uncharted wont be restricted to stick controls. Naughty Dog really needs to add gyro to Uncharted. They did for TLOU2.

ethomaz

Banned
You wanted to get a PS5 to play old PS3 and PS4 games? Man... I can't even lol

It is obvious the PS5 is not for you since beginning.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Uncharted 4 released 5 years ago...how does that game affect you getting a PS5 is beyond me.

Anyway, I think PS Exclusives should go to PC at the 3 year mark from their original release or Day 1 if PlayStation has a PC Store of their own.

Last edited:

Aion002

When I was a kid and a friend would also get a toy that I liked, I used to lose interest on that toy.

You know? Something about exclusivity made everything more interesting... I think that I was 9 years old or less when I realized how imbecile that sentiment was.

I guess some people need more time to realize that eh?

Pagusas

Elden Member
When I was a kid and a friend would also get a toy that I liked, I used to lose interest on that toy.

You know? Something about exclusivity made everything more interesting... I think that I was 9 years old or less when I realized how imbecile that sentiment was.

I guess some people need more time to realize that eh?
I mean the whole concept of a man child usually revolves around video games and a lack of emotional maturity, so it makes sense we'd see game "journalist" demonstrate that exact thing.

yurinka

it's really naïve at this point to think that PS5 games won't be releasing on PC after a while. they just bought a studio for porting. It will happen. It's just a matter of time
Yes, Sony said they will continue porting some (not all) of their several years old (PS4, before moving to PS5) games (not day one releases on PC). To port to PC a native console game that wasn't designed as a multiplatform game requires a fair amount of work, Nixxes won't be releasing a lot of games per year. Maybe 3 or 4 if lucky.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes, Sony said they will continue porting some (not all) of their several years old (PS4, before moving to PS5) games (not day one releases on PC). To port to PC a native console game that wasn't designed as a multiplatform game requires a fair amount of work, Nixxes won't be releasing a lot of games per year. Maybe 3 or 4 if lucky.
No it doesnt. Its the same architecture lmao...

sunnysideup

Banned
with all games available on pc. And steam deck and other console like systems on the horizon.

Playstation future is looking grim.

Top Bottom