• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection on PC leak just killed my desire to get a PS5 (Techradar)

cormack12

Gold Member
Also i guess he thinks it's just a matter of time till day1 releases or let's say 6-12 months timed exclusives.

I know its speculation, but this will never happen. Best to hope for 2/3 years. Otherwise forbidden west would be there day one. Same engine, only just ported zero dawn so have rhe experience....

Most of Sony's money is made from their captive users on the PSN.

The author also puts massive caveats at the bottom of the article. And you now have the complication of Ratchet and Demon's requiring an SSD for example. True, high end gamers will almost certainly have an SSD but what about a significant portion that don't?

It's a way for Sony to reuse IP that's a bit older and resell it on another platform at the end of the day. You're basically making PC owners pay to play ports of older releases. It's purely business, but a nice valueadd for those on PC. But you ain't gonna be there day one for the big summer blockbuster releases. E.g. Sure I could go the cinema to see a film, or wait and pay a premium for a sub service like Disney+, or wait till it hits Sky Movies. If I really love and want to play Uncharted, am I going to buy it or wait till it appears on PS+ for example.

At the moment a few older non flagship games have made their way to PC. Horizon could be a flagship depending on how well they improve the sequel. At the moment, this leak looks to be fake but even if it isnt, uncharted has been laid to rest for the forseeable and even if revived doesn't look like it would be the tier 1 studio doing the release.

sobaka770

Banned
Clickbait crap.

Author will get FOMO as soon as Horizon comes out and waiting for 4-5 years for these games to come on PC versus getting a PS5 is just silly. Chances are he already has one and gaslights to get clicks.

I know its speculation, but this will never happen. Best to hope for 2/3 years. Otherwise forbidden west would be there day one. Same engine, only just ported zero dawn so have rhe experience....

Most of Sony's money is made from their captive users on the PSN.

The author also puts massive caveats at the bottom of the article. And you now have the complication of Ratchet and Demon's requiring an SSD for example. True, high end gamers will almost certainly have an SSD but what about a significant portion that don't?

It's a way for Sony to reuse IP that's a bit older and resell it on another platform at the end of the day. You're basically making PC owners pay to play ports of older releases. It's purely business, but a nice valueadd for those on PC. But you ain't gonna be there day one for the big summer blockbuster releases. E.g. Sure I could go the cinema to see a film, or wait and pay a premium for a sub service like Disney+, or wait till it hits Sky Movies. If I really love and want to play Uncharted, am I going to buy it or wait till it appears on PS+ for example.

At the moment a few older non flagship games have made their way to PC. Horizon could be a flagship depending on how well they improve the sequel. At the moment, this leak looks to be fake but even if it isnt, uncharted has been laid to rest for the forseeable and even if revived doesn't look like it would be the tier 1 studio doing the release.
I'm not saying this will happen tomorrow or next year, but in 5 years or so you might be surprised. Days Gone was already just 23 months and i'm pretty sure, we will see Ghost of Tsushima next year on Pc too. I think they are slowly trying out how it works and how fans react to it.

MonarchJT

Banned
Not if you're not a PC gamer.
so take us years and Sony to release their exclusive to make people understand that there are PC gamers and console gamers.
I still remember those Stupids comments on how the Ms console became useless once you could play the games on PC.

MonarchJT

Banned
Clickbait crap.

Author will get FOMO as soon as Horizon comes out and waiting for 4-5 years for these games to come on PC versus getting a PS5 is just silly. Chances are he already has one and gaslights to get clicks.
but who have already a PC why would spend 500 euro + 80 (Each game) when he can play the ultimate and best version at a cheaper price in sometime? it would be embarrassingly stupid. People have to understand that releasing on PC do not touch ..console only gamers ..but change everything on others panorama

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
According to the leak, the collection will include the first game, Drakes Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.
I really hate when they do this. This isn’t Metal Gear Solid, there’s no two Uncharted 2 games to differentiate between. Just write Uncharted 2, 3, and 4

Also yeah, I’m sure they’re not buying a PS5 because a series that got its last installment in 2017 and they have no doubt played extensively is coming to PC.

yurinka

What a garbage article, now you are supposed to want to buy a PS5 to play some PS3 and PS4 games, and if they get released on PC many years after release you don't want the PS5? It must be a joke.

but who have already a PC why would spend 500 euro + 80 (Each game) when he can play the ultimate and best version at a cheaper price in sometime? it would be embarrassingly stupid. People have to understand that releasing on PC do not touch ..console only gamers ..but change everything on others panorama
PS3 and PS4 aren't 500€, and these games were/are included in PS Plus and/or PS Now, or you can buy them dirt cheap.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm not saying this will happen tomorrow or next year, but in 5 years or so you might be surprised. Days Gone was already just 23 months and i'm pretty sure, we will see Ghost of Tsushima next year on Pc too. I think they are slowly trying out how it works and how fans react to it.

I know, I know future is uncertain and all that. But Days Gone has effectively been written off as an IP to develop (no sequel etc), so I think they are happy to just port that over now in s shorter time frame. It kind of has a cult following and enjoyed by a lot of people but it's not what they would probably call one of their hardcore IPs to build around. And there will be outliers like that.

I'm more talking about your God of War, GT7, Spider-Man, TLoU type of games

MonarchJT

Banned
What a garbage article, now you are supposed to want to buy a PS5 to play some PS3 and PS4 games, and if they get released on PC many years after release you don't want the PS5? It must be a joke.

PS3 and PS4 aren't 500€, and these games were/are included in PS Plus and/or PS Now, or you can buy them dirt cheap.
it's really naïve at this point to think that PS5 games won't be releasing on PC after a while. they just bought a studio for porting. It will happen. It's just a matter of time

Whitecrow

Banned
They’re seeing Microsoft’s approach and are thinking to themselves why not. I don’t see the issue.
MS have a truck of millions to waste that Sony doesnt have. That's the issue.
Sony cant have the pleasure of shooting themselves in the foot without feeling the consequences.

RaySoft

It’s perfect isn’t it? Dude who has been thinking about getting a PS5, won’t because a collection of PS3 and PS4 games, the latest one being 5 years old, is coming to PC.

The gaslight is strong.
Yeah, his reasoning being that he thinks all future Uncharted games will come day and date on the PC as well. If that were the case he would have a point, but we all know that wont happen, so the article seems rather silly.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Jimbo DGAF

3OL35Nt.gif

I love this gif so much its usage has been perfect lately.
Jimbo got us all and hes laughing all the way to the bank.

Ill wait a year or two to play the definitive editions of games.
There are still more games than I could get through without me day one'ing PS exclusives.
So the wait is worth it in the long run.

Jimbo you clever dog!

zkorejo

I don't think it's only about Uncharted, it's about Pc ports in general. If you know the games are coming at some point, why buying a PS5? Sony's games are mostly singleplayer and you don't miss anything if you play them 1-2 years later. The games don't get worse. Quite the contrary, you get patchet games (with more content) that run and look better. Also i guess he thinks it's just a matter of time till day1 releases or let's say 6-12 months timed exclusives.
In case of uncharted, the last one was 5 years ago already. They have made all the money with playstation userbase. Now they want to expand the market. Giving away 5 year old game to give PC community what ps exclusives are all about. It might have them excited enough for upcoming exclusives and get a ps5.

Not to mention the sales. Pc market has grown alot in the last few years. Giving away a franchise that ended five years ago to a whole new market will only do you better.

Everybody wins except the fanboys. $ > bragging rights in this case especially. Majority isn't going to buy a ps5 to play Uncharted series.

Last edited:
In case of uncharted, the last one was 5 years ago already. They have made all the money with playstation userbase. Now they want to expand the market. Giving away 5 year old game to give PC community what ps exclusives are all about. It might have them excited enough for upcoming exclusives and get a ps5.

Not to mention the sales. Pc market has grown alot in the last few years. Giving away a franchise that ended five years ago will only do you better.
I'm pretty sure it will be much faster from now on, like i said i expect Ghost next year and to be honest i also expect TLOU2 in 2022.

zkorejo

I'm pretty sure it will be much faster from now on, like i said i expect Ghost next year and to be honest i also expect TLOU2 in 2022.
I'm pretty sure it will vary for each game. Once they are sure it has reached its peak for playstation userbase even after sales and what not, they will give those away to PC too.

They are not doing this out of kindness, trust me. They have to be using all sorts of metrics to predict the peak of a game and as soon as it stops selling on ps, you give it to a whole new market that's always hungry for good games. Smart move if you ask me.

rubenburgt

Having played in the previous PlayStations and seeing how big Sony's ego is has killed my desire to get PS5, so having these games on PC would be pretty great

Kerotan

I mean I wanted to play uncharted in 2007 and uncharted 4 in 2014 etc. Not 2022 years later lol.

I want to play horizon Zero Dawn in 2022 not 2017 on pc lmao. So desire to own a ps5 is 100% there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

You can buy ps5 for 400 usd (presumably) and a lot of these games are included in ps+ collection.
Seriously. it's a great deal if for some reason someone never owned a ps4

Keihart

While i do agree with the sentiment that bringing exclusives to PC instead of preserving them on the ecosystem is making PS no favors, i also think that i don't care about how "tech radar" feels about it, i mean..
wh
1x
asked?
2x

They are not doing this out of kindness, trust me.
That's for sure and one reason why i'm thinking games will come day1 at some point are the insane amounts of money Sony spends for marketing their AAA games. So they could kill 2 birds with one stone. I don't think they would lose much more gamers to pc with day1 releases than with 1-2 years timed ecxlusives, but they could make much more money on pc. Guess we have to wait a few years and see what Sony plans with the pc port studio.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It certainly makes the games feel less special and the whole 'exclusive' marketing has now been turned into a lie.

The feeling of 'being tricked' is not nice. The feeling of being lied to is not pleasant as a customer.

I can see many PS gamers being turned off by this behavior...... I stopped buying all games (exclusives) day 1 due to my disappointment with their current strategy.

Better be ready for the backlash when they do announce the PC ports.... I'm gonna give them a hard time about it. You better believe.

End of the day Sony wants money, everybody saying Microsoft is bad for putting games on pc to, its all about money

skit_data

End of the day Sony wants money, everybody saying Microsoft is bad for putting games on pc to, its all about money
I don’t think its bad that they eventually choose to put their 1st party games on PC, but I think it was unwise of Xbox to commit to a day 1 release on both consoles and PC.

I really don’t care if PS games get released on PC a few years down the line, but I think it would be a big mistake to release them simultanously on both.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don’t think its bad that they eventually choose to put their 1st party games on PC, but I think it was unwise of Xbox to commit to a day 1 release on both consoles and PC.

I really don’t care if PS games get released on PC a few years down the line, but I think it would be a big mistake to release them simultanously on both.

I think it will eventually move closer to release date. Can’t see it being day one but maybe 6 months down the line. Its like they are testing the waters at the Moment

MonarchJT

Banned
They wont kill anything but of course it will give people less incentives to buy a PS5.
hw sales of the series x/s they are proving that this theory is not actually correct. It is selling more than the Xbox One .... Xbox One x and the 360 as well.
But even assuming that you were right the paradigm would be .... a little less hw and a lot more sw and I think Sony would choose (in fact that's what it's doing) to continue, following in the footsteps of Microsoft, on this path. SW margins will always beat HW no matter what and if you are lucky enough to be able at the same time to sell a good number of hw then you have done bingo.

Last edited:

skit_data

I think it will eventually move closer to release date. Can’t see it being day one but maybe 6 months down the line. Its like they are testing the waters at the Moment
Yeah, eventually most PCs will dwarf the PS5 in terms of specs (they are already more powerful in many aspects but from a developer standpoint they can target the PS5 and then port to PC without much need for optimization because they can simply brute force it with enough headroom) and then the window between the two can shorten.

I think that’s their strategy and I’m totally fine with that. As long as PS5 game development doesn’t get impacted or development time get longer due to targeting more platforms I couldn’t care less.

BootsLoader

Banned
More in the link.

I can see more people doing this if Sony keeps bringing more games to PC. I don’t know why Sony thinks they can break away from what made PlayStation so successful and a big brand.

They thought they could sneak Horizon ZD and Days Gone on PC and come up with lies and excuses about why those two came to PC. Every damn interview with Hermen Hulst is a new bullshit explanation about their PC support. First it was just HZD and “not all games are coming to PC.” Now it’s the best experience day one is on PS5 and 2 years later PC PR crap.

They’re not going to get away with releasing their well known bigger games on PC. Sales will be affected.
Why is this a new thread? Why should we care about this? Are you kidding me?

Rykan

It just goes to show how low the standards of many journalists really are.

"If Games from platform 1 are released on platform 2, that means I don't have to buy platform 1 anymore!"

Yeah that's real thought provoking stuff right there. I'm so glad you wrote an article saying you don't have to buy additional hardware if the same games are released on a system you already have.

I'm sorry, but if your only reason for buying the PS5 was for a collection of the old Uncharted games and not any of Sony's other exclusives then I really don't think you were planning on buying it anyway. This is plain old silly.

ZywyPL

Banned
Watch when all these PS exclusive games ported over to PC end up being last gen (PS4) games.

When PS6 comes out, PC will get PS5 exclusives.

😂🤣😂

And? If a game is good it's still good years later, no? Not having to beg for a 60FPS patch alone is worth the wait IMO, not to mention getting the complete ultimate/definitive/DC edition from the start instead of double-triple dipping.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah, eventually most PCs will dwarf the PS5 in terms of specs (they are already more powerful in many aspects but from a developer standpoint they can target the PS5 and then port to PC without much need for optimization because they can simply brute force it with enough headroom) and then the window between the two can shorten.

I think that’s their strategy and I’m totally fine with that. As long as PS5 game development doesn’t get impacted or development time get longer due to targeting more platforms I couldn’t care less.

The games are made via pcs these days so development time should really change, it it does it maybe a little

And? If a game is good it's still good years later, no? Not having to beg for a 60FPS patch alone is worth the wait IMO, not to mention getting the complete ultimate/definitive/DC edition from the start instead of double-triple dipping.
This. I neaver got that argument "But they are soooooo old and were already free on PS".

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think as much as Sony putting games on PC is minimized, it's actually a pretty big thing that could hurt them a lot. While they might enjoy the same or better software sales, it might eventually cut into console sales which could hurt their image. Imagine a world 6 years from now, all Sony games come out on PC. Xbox NEXT and PS6 are hitting the market, same price, similar hardware.
What exactly would be the advantage that Sony would be touting to buy a PS6 over a NEXT? And add to that some bad luck, maybe a game isn't ready or stock is constrained, and all of the sudden Xbox sells 10 million vs 6 million PS6, the articles are all about how Xbox has taken off with an even more supported Gamepass, while Sony is "suffering sales issues" and the press becomes bad.
It could chip away at the core of their business model.

Wait….isn’t Uncharted Collection technically a PS4 game? What does that have to do with a PS5? Now something like Returnal or Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart going to PC would be more understandable.

We all know more PS4 games are coming which I don’t think will necessarily be detrimental to the PS5, but if PS5 games start to come which I think they will eventually, then that will probably affect hardware sales.

They’re seeing Microsoft’s approach and are thinking to themselves why not. I don’t see the issue.
I truly think that’s one of the factors that hurt Microsoft’s hardware sales, at least with the XBOX One. Remember the, “why buy an Xbox when I have a decent PC” mentality? Sure, Microsoft makes most of their money on software, but isn’t Sony much more reliant on hardware sales compared to Microsoft?

Allandor

Really, because of Uncharted? Yes the games looked good at their time but they are basically a dumped down tomb raider paired with sequences where you must kill all enemies before the path finally opens. Also the character most times has no clue what he is doing but has so much luck that he survives anything.
Still playing (from time to time) part two (currently somewhere in the middle) because I wanted to give the games another chance, but so far they are really shallow gameplay wise. Part 3&4 are still waiting but the gameplay is so repetitive that I'm not to much motivated to play it before other games.

As long as Sony's strategy is releasing console games on PC after the console revenue dries up then Sony console gamers don't have to accept anything. Nothing has really changed.

Yeah this is a really good point. This industry is driven by hype, look at CP2077 and it's millions of pre-orders.
I'm a r/patientgamer myself but for the vast majority old games don't matter.

Top Bottom