• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Coming to PC According to Sony Documents

FrankWza

MS gets slated for having 'no exclusives' because all the games are also on PC. I guess that argument is now down the drain.

Great for PC players. Seems like the place to be this gen. Gets all xbox games and PS games.
What year do you think they’ll be releasing Starfield on pc? 2026 or 2027?

KAL2006

Banned
Motherboards generally support up to 128GB of DDR4 RAM or more.

I understand that PCs can easily run games designed around SSDs however my point was that many publishers still prefer to release games on PC that don't require high ram/SSD as if they do it's a smaller PC market and probably won't be worth the porting effort for Sony until more PC gamers have better PCs. Death Stranding, Horizon and Days Gone don't necessarily have high PC spec requirements. Something like Ratchet Rift Apart maybe will this is the reason why I don't think we will get a port of Ratchet Rift Apart within 2 years like Days Gone as I think Sony will wait until more PC gamers have more powerful PCs to run their next gen only games. In the meantime I think Sony will port all their PS4 backlog of games including the new ones like Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West. By the time all those games get ported it would be like 3-5 years which they the will be ready to start porting next gen only games like Rift Apart and Demons Souls.

MastaKiiLA

MS gets slated for having 'no exclusives' because all the games are also on PC. I guess that argument is now down the drain.

Great for PC players. Seems like the place to be this gen. Gets all xbox games and PS games.
What is the point of people saying nonsense like this? When will you get the games? Console gamers bitch and moan when they have to wait 5 months for a game to reach their platform. Some people are doing a victory lap when it took 5 years.

This is the equivalent of getting a box of your older brother's old clothes and gadgets, when he leaves for college. Yeah, you pined for that stuff years ago, but are you strutting to the club in your Z Cavariccis in the mid-90s, like you're hot shit? Yeah, you got all the things your brother hand, but now they're old, and aren't as cool as when he got them.

I only game on PC and phone right now, as I traded my PS4 a couple of years ago. However, I started a new PS+ account, as I plan on getting a PS5 as soon as I can. Why? What's the point in waiting years for a port when you spent literally over a thousand dollars building a rig that can play games at high resolutions and framerates? You buy a video card that costs as much or more than a new console, just to engage in retro gaming? By the time the games land on PC, you can buy the console for even less, and you'll have access to the full library.

This misplaced braggadocio is a bit comical. If you're buying a PC with the expectation of playing Sony or even Xbox exclusives, then you're kinda doing it wrong. It suggests that the PC gaming landscape is the barren wasteland that many console gamers consider it to be, which is why we buy consoles as our primary gaming devices in the first place. I feel like there are greater expectations from console gamers, even with worse HW performance. Perhaps an increased (sometimes regrettably so) interest in playing games when they're new.

Last edited:

vgcuts

Neo Member
What is the point of people saying nonsense like this? When will you get the games? Console gamers bitch and moan when they have to wait 5 months for a game to reach their platform. Some people are doing a victory lap when it took 5 years.

This is the equivalent of getting a box of your older brother's old clothes and gadgets, when he leaves for college. Yeah, you pined for that stuff years ago, but are you strutting to the club in your Z Cavariccis in the mid-90s, like you're hot shit? Yeah, you got all the things your brother hand, but now they're old, and aren't as cool as when he got them.

I only game on PC and phone right now, as I traded my PS4 a couple of years ago. However, I started a new PS+ account, as I plan on getting a PS5 as soon as I can. Why? What's the point in waiting years for a port when you spent literally over a thousand dollars building a rig that can play games at high resolutions and framerates? You buy a video card that costs as much or more than a new console, just to engage in retro gaming? By the time the games land on PC, you can buy the console for even less, and you'll have access to the full library.

This misplaced braggadocio is a bit comical. If you're buying a PC with the expectation of playing Sony or even Xbox exclusives, then you're kinda doing it wrong. It suggests that the PC gaming landscape is the barren wasteland that many console gamers consider it to be, which is why we buy consoles as our primary gaming devices in the first place. I feel like there are greater expectations from console gamers, even with worse HW performance. Perhaps an increased (sometimes regrettably so) interest in playing games when they're new.
I played Days Gone on both PS4 and PC and enjoyed it so much more on PC. Sure, the much higher resolution and infinite frame rate were nice, but the main reason was that i could choose to give myself infinite bike fuel. That’s what you get on PC which you do not get on console: Choice. Agency.

HTK

Banned
This is great news for the PC player base. Curious if it's going to be enhanced in other ways except just 4k/60fps. Good stuff.

if you are willing to wait years, sure.
Also spoilers: If you wait 8-10 more years, you will be able to emulate the PS5. Shocking right?

Last edited:
IIRC Horizon sold 700k units in its first month. lets assume lifetime its double that. thats 1.5 million units at $60 or $90 million. 30% valve cut brings it down to $60 million. days gone sold half which is expected since it was never as popular or well received as horizon on ps4. so thats $30 million.

thats it. sony did this for $30 million lol. $15 million first month. I am guessing Jimbo got a nice yacht out of it because i dont see this making a dent in their quarterly earnings.
That's such an odd way of looking at it. Increased revenue is increased revenue. You don't think an additional 35-45m off two titles which are several years old make a dent on the quarterly earnings?

Also, keep in mind that YES both titles severely undersold what expectations were but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Look no further than MS on Steam to see what Sony sees.

Halo MCC: 2-5m since December 2019, 92% user score, 35 hours average playtime.
Sea of Thieves: 2-5m since June 2020, 90% user score, 39 hours average playtime.
Forza Horizons: 500k-1m since March 2021, 77% user score, 25 hours average playtime .
Ori and the Will of the Wisps: 2-5m since March 2020, 96% user score, 11 hours average playtime.

Horizon Zero Dawn CE: 1-2m since August 2020, 81% user score, 26 hours average playtime.
Days Gone: 200k-500k since May 17 2021, 92% user score, 15 hours average playtime.

Like I said, these are incremental sales and don't even include any level of microtransactions or further ecosystem engagement. This is in addition to whatever these games have already sold on the console platform. The user score and playtime are key metrics for these companies to track, including other metrics like user engagement, community activity, followers, YouTube stats, etc. If you don't think Sony is looking at all those metrics on the MS titles and saying to themselves, "we can make more money like that" I don't know what to tell you. And why shouldn't they? What's the problem?

Look at the user metrics on Sea of Thieves, a failure of a game less than two years ago. Not my style or taste of game to be honest but look at the metrics. 1.082 millions Youtube views and 7.9k comments on the top 50 videos in the last week. 13.6k peak players yesterday. Again, these metrics in an industry that is increasingly looking at social media engagement and continuing game engagement are huge and Sony definitely sees them. And this is Sea of Thieves. Imagine Uncharted, imagine The Last of Us, imagine Spider-man. Those titles would easily trounce this game.

That's what Sony did this for. Not just the incremental $35-45m. Also, your sales estimates are very off. HZD:CE is $50 in steam regular price but if you have a premium account you can see the ownership/user score/reviews have spiked just after sales, including the 20% off during the Winter Sale and 40% off during the April 1st sale. These also play out when you observe the concurrent players spikes directly after sales. You're looking at probably 50m tops in terms of sales BEFORE Valve gets their cut. Also, Playtracker (which uses statistical analysis of players vs owners statistics, taking into account reviews, user scores, etc) says HZD:CE has around 850k-960k owners so I severely doubt/hope they didn't do 700k in their first week because that would mean since launch the game has done probably 250k-300k.

vHjSKXv.png

HZD:CE Concurrent Players Lifetime via Steamdb

Last edited:

Holammer

Anyone upset by this should get their thoughts in order and prepare for the inevitable:
- First PS5 port to PC.
- First PS5/PC simultaneous release.
- More quality "definitive edition" PC ports with additional features outshining PS4 back compat.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I understand that PCs can easily run games designed around SSDs however my point was that many publishers still prefer to release games on PC that don't require high ram/SSD as if they do it's a smaller PC market and probably won't be worth the porting effort for Sony until more PC gamers have better PCs. Death Stranding, Horizon and Days Gone don't necessarily have high PC spec requirements. Something like Ratchet Rift Apart maybe will this is the reason why I don't think we will get a port of Ratchet Rift Apart within 2 years like Days Gone as I think Sony will wait until more PC gamers have more powerful PCs to run their next gen only games. In the meantime I think Sony will port all their PS4 backlog of games including the new ones like Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West. By the time all those games get ported it would be like 3-5 years which they the will be ready to start porting next gen only games like Rift Apart and Demons Souls.
This is all wrong assumptions and lack of understanding the hardware. The PC isn't a low-end platform here. There is no metric by which Sony companies are designing games on a low-end piece of hardware. The PS5's SSD is not a game-changer that would limit game design for PCs. PS5's SSD output metric will be limited by the GPU - which is behind the PC GPUs.

Last edited:
Hyperbole. It won't be years now. Sony never planned on porting their games to PC. They recently decided that like 2yrs ago. Most of the time now is being spent refactoring their graphics engines to support 2 SKUs (PC and PS5).
But do you think their AAA PS5 exclusives will be on PC in the short-term? I don't think so.

VFXVeteran

Banned
But do you think their AAA PS5 exclusives will be on PC in the short-term? I don't think so.
Agreed. I'd say 1yr at the latest for release (assuming they have their graphics engine ready for compiling to 2 SKUs like GG engine or an UE4 game like Returnal or Days Gone).

It's not a stretch to say that any game coming out for PC that's a PS exclusive will have it's graphics engine ready for PC ports for the sequels. It's pretty much a lock for a PC version of HFW, for example, since the game has been ported over to PC for H:ZD.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Anyone upset by this should get their thoughts in order and prepare for the inevitable:
- First PS5 port to PC.
- First PS5/PC simultaneous release.
- More quality "definitive edition" PC ports with additional features outshining PS4 back compat.
You forgot Playstation exclusives that appear only on PC and not Playstation.

This is all wrong assumptions and lack of understanding the hardware. The PC isn't a low-end platform here. There is no metric by which Sony companies are designing games on a low-end piece of hardware. The PS5's SSD is not a game-changer that would limit game design for PCs. PS5's SSD output metric will be limited by the GPU - which is behind the PC GPUs.
giphy.gif

Dream-Knife

Banned
Also, your sales estimates are very off. HZD:CE is $50 in steam regular price but if you have a premium account you can see the ownership/user score/reviews have spiked just after sales, including the 20% off during the Winter Sale and 40% off during the April 1st sale.
What is a premium account?

You are more than happy to post your knowledge on these boards for all to see.
I speak less so as not to look stupid and I speak less than I know much so as not to look too smart.
And you are the first person today to derail a thread to try and instigate an attack on, yet again, my credentials. Not surprising at all.
I absolutely do not care about your credentials, there are too many people around me from EOS, for example. Your quotes cause laughter and bewilderment not only for me. Sorry. Have fun anyway.

Last edited:
I speak less so as not to look stupid and I speak less than I know much so as not to look too smart.

I absolutely do not care about your credentials, there are too many people around me from EOS, for example. Your quotes cause laughter and bewilderment not only for me. Sorry. Have fun anyway.
You probably should stay quiet in that case then.... Just saying.

Anyways, I wonder what improvements these games will get. Will it just be lighting changes, with FOV and ultrawide support? Will it be a remake and sold on both PC and ps5?

Find out on the next episode of...

VFXVeteran

Banned
You probably should stay quiet in that case then.... Just saying.
Yup.

Anyways, I wonder what improvements these games will get. Will it just be lighting changes, with FOV and ultrawide support? Will it be a remake and sold on both PC and ps5?

Find out on the next episode of...

I would hope at least larger textures, more accurate anisotropic filtering, draw distance and hopefully a more aggressive AO algorithm but what do I know? I don't have any experience with this stuff anyway..🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Yup.

I would hope at least larger textures, more accurate anisotropic filtering, draw distance and hopefully a more aggressive AO algorithm.
It would be pretty dope if they completely rehauled everything, from the ground up, but of course it wouldn't make much sense, financially. You and your buddies from those Sony studios, should go out to the bar sometime soon. Have a couple of drinks, and let the questions fly! You don't even have to share it with us.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Damn those HZD numbers should have been even higher. On PC is all about long term trust. Sony should continue fixing HZD as goodwill is they want to establish themselves as a top PC developer. On PC there's no need for a massive marketing effort. It's all about reputation. If you have a good reputation as a developer your games will sell a lot just by word of mouth.

That's why Capcom, Microsoft and Kohima games sell well on PC. You trust them to deliver a great PRODUCT on top of an engaging game.

Koei Tecmo could release half life 3 and it would sell like crap.

So for Sony steps like Fixing the shader cache, stutter and terrible performance on Meridian should be a priority.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Damn those HZD numbers should have been even higher. On PC is all about long term trust. Sony should continue fixing HZD as goodwill is they want to establish themselves as a top PC developer as well.

Fixing the shader cache, stutter and terrible performance on Meridian should be a priority.
Shader cache takes time to compile. Even UE has the same delay. What do you want them to fix?

Also, the game is perfect now. What kind of GPU do you have that is giving you terrible performance?

Like you and DonSchlong, - main PC zealots of neogaf?
This is a thread about the game coming to PC, not a thread for Red_Driver85 Red_Driver85 to insult and derail. We're discussing the game, while you are trying to belittle someone's credentials, and calling someone a retard. You can't be that obtuse to not see how you are completely in the wrong. Grow up.

Would it be hard to get all of the games ported simultaneously, or would it require each individual game to be worked on, due to minor differences in the engine across the games? VFXVeteran VFXVeteran

Last edited:
My god, the PC haters are out in full force lately. What is going on?
If I had to guess, my doctor would probably agree that it's not good to eat crow with mounds of salt. Yesterday really shook some people up with the UE5 demo. And I don't blame them. It's like when a child finds out Santa Claus isn't real, or that their father is never coming back. That can be traumatizing for some, and many go into the 5 stages of grief.

Dafegamer

Funny thing is, I bet the same people who gave MS shit and made fun of it, are damage controlling for Playstation and saying "Lmao 2-3 years later isn't bad 🤣"
You can't make this up 😒

If I had to guess, my doctor would probably agree that it's not good to eat crow with mounds of salt. Yesterday really shook some people up with the UE5 demo. And I don't blame them. It's like when a child finds out Santa Claus isn't real, or that their father is never coming back. That can be traumatizing for some, and many go into the 5 stages of grief.

There are plenty of PC games being ported to consoles too, so I really don't understand people freaking out when their console games are being released for PC.
Uncharted 4 came out in 2016, it's 5 years old, there's really no reason to panic.

Besides, PC ports ensure that the games remain playable across generations without the need of a platform remaster. Everybody profits that way.

Last edited:

Dafegamer

Sony probably the only Company who literally throws away their winning formula like that, literally make your console the best place to play or the famous slogan "Only on Playstation"
Ken Kutaragi literally turning in his grave(I know he isn't dead, but get my point) Do they think their hardware is good enough without exclusives????
Xbox does everything multimedia wise better, and it's the exclusive games that made it easy for people to choose one console over the other.
Imagine Nintendo releasing their games on pc, it would literally make their consoles obsolete over night.
Let's see how their strategy turns out, but it seems like the future will rely on "Play everywhere" bullshit, another thing coined by MS, negative imo, since paid online. Streaming on device future is not for me.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Shader cache takes time to compile. Even UE has the same delay. What do you want them to fix?

Also, the game is perfect now. What kind of GPU do you have that is giving you terrible performance?

I don't have the best GPU around (RX580) but it should be enough for a smooth 30 fps performance at original settings at 1080p or even 1440p. Maybe they fixed a lot with patch 1.10 but on Meridian I had terrible fps drops and I have seen people with better HW complaining as well.

The shader cache system this game uses is the worst I have seen. You need to compile everything each time you start the game. You can go in-game but it will still hammer the CPU until it finishes compiling. The previous cache system they used before patching was better.

this guy is at it again with his shenanigans. People are getting sick and tired of not having normal conversations from people who prey on making a fight over nothing. It's getting really tiring.
Pretty cheap trick, Veteran. Complaining about someone in a thread that has almost no discussion of a game that hasn't been officially announced at all. What? If you hadn't written so much nonsense, then no one would have touched you at all. And not only here. You annoy not only me, but many with your feeble mind. I absolutely do not care where and what games comes out there. On a PC, I don't care doubly because it's a poor gaming platform. Your whole discussion comes down to the PC - the best version, because the GPU and CPU are more powerful than those in the PS4, PS5, PS6 etc. The PS4 game doesn't appeal to you, but as it comes out on the PC, the glorification of the ideal of graphics begins. And so every time. Do you need to be an expert for this? No. But you always have the same style of discussion. Don't you understand this? Do you see the reason in others, but not in yourself? Anyway, have fun with your battered buddy DonSchlong.

Top Bottom