• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultrawide GAF: monitor recommendations?

Recently got a 6900XT, partly because I want to get into Ultrawide gaming. Parameters:

- 3440x1440
- FreeSync (since I have an AMD GPU); additionally if it's "G-Sync compatible" as well, that would be awesome, in case the monitor outlives my 6900XT and I switch back to an Nvidia GPU.
- Any display technology (IPS, VA, etc) is fair game, except OLED. Not only will this monitor also be used for productivity/work, but I also have a lot of retro games on Steam that have constant items present on the screen (e.g., health bars for fighting games). So, I don't want to worry about potential OLED burn-in.
- Ideally no bigger than 34" (in fact I'm looking specifically for 34"... )
- Flat vs curved, that is the question... I've read that you get better viewing angles for the edges with a curved monitor. So while I prefer curved, if someone makes a good argument for a flat monitor, I'll consider it.
- Budget is... whatever. Under US $1,000 would be nice.

Based on all the above criteria, I've already done some research, and the LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B is the leading candidate, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get it, but looking to see what GAF says/recommends.

Could you do 1300?

This is the place to be if you can, almost seems crazy we can already get QD-OLED for that

OLED may be out of the question if there are still burn-in issues. I know he talks about that (I actually watched the whole video), and the 3-year warranty sounds good. I'm just paranoid of the burn-in... I have an OLED screen on my phone and it did indeed get burn-in. And no, I didn't have "150 consecutive hours with the same static image."

$1300 is a bit over what I'm looking to spend but it's fine if it's a badass monitor like the one you posted. (Again, if playing AAA modern games was the only thing I was gonna do, this monitor you linked to seems GREAT.)

if you can wait and are okay with 4k instead of 21:9 just wait for the 42" C2.
42" is too big for me.

ParaSeoul

OLED may be out of the question if there are still burn-in issues. I know he talks about that (I actually watched the whole video), and the 3-year warranty sounds good. I'm just paranoid of the burn-in... I have an OLED screen on my phone and it did indeed get burn-in. And no, I didn't have "150 consecutive hours with the same static image."

$1300 is a bit over what I'm looking to spend but it's fine if it's a badass monitor like the one you posted. (Again, if playing AAA modern games was the only thing I was gonna do, this monitor you linked to seems GREAT.)

42" is too big for me.
Burn in is not an issue on TVs/monitors anymore.The newer panels and all the anti burn in measures built in make it a non issue. Even the Switch OLED that has little to no burn in protection was tested by a youtuber 24/7 with the full screen on max brightness just displaying BOTW idle for 3600 hours straight or about 6 months,worst case scenario. And all it got was slight ghosting. Normal usage would not cause that.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Got the LG 34 GN 850

S-3.jpg

Absolutely love it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Could you do 1300?

This is the place to be if you can, almost seems crazy we can already get QD-OLED for that

If monitor, this.
But best choice is no monitor and huge ass 42 or 48" oled tv ! lg c1 48" or lg c2 42" (c2 48" is not the best deal)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I want that Alienware I think. Just annoyed about the lack of compression to hit 10 bit at 175hz….sucks balls but maybe I wouldn’t notice.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Burn in is not an issue on TVs/monitors anymore.The newer panels and all the anti burn in measures built in make it a non issue. Even the Switch OLED that has little to no burn in protection was tested by a youtuber 24/7 with the full screen on max brightness just displaying BOTW idle for 3600 hours straight or about 6 months,worst case scenario. And all it got was slight ghosting. Normal usage would not cause that.

Is there some TV release from LG I am unaware of?

Because you can indeed still get burn in from using a TV like a monitor...

Normal usage sure ok maybe not... but these days lots of people work from home, my monitors gets a hell of alot of use due to this fact alone.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I would stay away from oled if you use your screen everyday or have it on for long times. My screen is now 9 months old and already has something like 4k hours on it. If you are a small time user no issue there.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Every time its this video. These two used their tv's like retards and suddenly burn in is an issue again.

Uh huh... they used there TV like a monitor and got burn in, I don't see how people say "oh it's will be fine if you just don't do this list of things, BUT NO ONE WOULD EVER DO THAT!"

however would you like to go into detail how they used this "like retards"?

You know for reference, so people can avoid doing the list of things people use a monitor for.

Last edited:
I would stay away from oled if you use your screen everyday or have it on for long times. My screen is now 9 months old and already has something like 4k hours on it. If you are a small time user no issue there.
Yeah my usage would be heavy at first, I'd use it for both work and gaming.

EDIT: to everyone, thanks for the responses so far, I'll look into several monitors that were listed here. (Not every monitor, because not all of them meet the criteria I laid out in the OP.)

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
I have the Alienware AW3821DW and honestly can't fault it.

It doesn't quite meet your requirements as 4" bigger and resolution of 3840x1800.

It has slight curvature and I use it for both work and gaming and it does a stirling job at both. I did have a 34" for a few days and then swapped as it wasn't quite enough for productivity.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been rocking a Samsung 21:9 curved monitor with Freesync that I got in 2017 for almost 5 years now and have had zero problems with it.

Their 2020 G5 model kinda fits the bill on what you're asking for, with a bonus of it being about half the price of what you're looking to spend.

The newer Neo G9 is super nice, but it's also Super Ultrawide (5120x1440) which means even bigger black bars on content that doesn't support variable resolutions.

Caffeine

ive had the 25 inch lg 2560x1080 ips 60hz since 2016 it was alright, there wernt many 21:9 games back then. Now its used as a side monitor, and i have a sceptre 30 inch curved hdr 2560x1080 200hz and its pretty nice. i dont go 4k cause i have midrange pc.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I have an Alienware (3440x1440) AW3418DW 34" 120Hz monitor and I love it. I'm sure they've upgraded the panel since I bought it a few years ago, but I'd recommend it to anyone. Great monitor.

Last edited:
I've been rocking a Samsung 21:9 curved monitor with Freesync that I got in 2017 for almost 5 years now and have had zero problems with it.

Their 2020 G5 model kinda fits the bill on what you're asking for, with a bonus of it being about half the price of what you're looking to spend.

The newer Neo G9 is super nice, but it's also Super Ultrawide (5120x1440) which means even bigger black bars on content that doesn't support variable resolutions.
Thanks for the rec dude. Gonna look into it.

By the way even in this thread I'm seeing conflicting reports on OLED burn-in 😂

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Every time its this video. These two used their tv's like retards and suddenly burn in is an issue again.
OH YEAH ??? WHAT AbOuT tHiS wEbSiTe??

DJ12

42" is too big for me.
The alienware monitor has a 3 year warranty that includes burn in faults. Samsung displays seem pretty confident burn in isn't going to happen.

captainpat

Even funnier considering they didn't even get burn-in, they just got image retention which went away once they let the pixel refresher do it's job.

Last edited:
The alienware monitor has a 3 year warranty that includes burn in faults. Samsung displays seem pretty confident burn in isn't going to happen.
Understood, and thanks for that point. So question for you: would a monitor like this also be usable for work/productivity purposes? I'm already thinking, don't want the freaking Windows taskbar burnt into my nice $1300 monitor 😂

ParaSeoul

Even funnier considering they didn't even get burn-in, they just got image retention which went away once they let the pixel refresher do it's job.
The guy he claimed had more experience ended up being just as clueless as him too. I've also been wondering how the hell buying a CX is being an early adopter. Seems like this was made deliberately just for FUD spreading.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Understood, and thanks for that point. So question for you: would a monitor like this also be usable for work/productivity purposes? I'm already thinking, don't want the freaking Windows taskbar burnt into my nice $1300 monitor 😂
No all oleds will explode at one point.

DJ12

No one knows yet they haven't been out long enough, I think 3 years warranty gives you fair chance to get burn in and get it replaced though.

Hdtvtest says its the best monitor he's ever tested and the best oled also.

I'll probably buy the Samsung one at some point when I get annoyed with the monitors I've got.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think If I found a place selling the Alienware that guaranteed delivery withinthe nex few weeks that I would jump in.

just want some more information on it though.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
OLED may be out of the question if there are still burn-in issues.
Since oled displays started being manufactured there's always people saying "they got rid of burn in now" with every new generation of phones.

Truth is, burn in can't be avoided on oled because of the tech.

The reason oled can show true black is because the pixels actually turns completely off, meaning some pixels burn more than other.

The difference in being turned on is why you get burn in,which can't be avoided because of the technology.

I've had so many lcds none with burn in. Had 2 phones with oled. Both burn in

STARSBarry

Gold Member
OH YEAH ??? WHAT AbOuT tHiS wEbSiTe??

Oh hey don't use your OLED TV like a monitor and it will be fine...

So why do I keep seeing people advising OLED TV's to use as a monitor when the OP has said he's going to use it for work 🤔.
You going to game? Sure sure no issue....
You going to use it for productivity with the same windows open in the same spots for hours daily? Probably should check something none OLED, it's really not hard is it?

But no it's "GET AN LG OLED TV!" Yo they never did fix the VRR issue completely either in the CX and C1 so there's also that... you know something most PC's will have on for gaming, you still gotta adjust that manually on a per game basis or just have VRR switched off... on a PC.

Maybe just buy a monitor yeah?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Oh hey don't use your OLED TV like a monitor and it will be fine...

So why do I keep seeing people advising OLED TV's to use as a monitor when the OP has said he's going to use it for work 🤔.
You going to game? Sure sure no issue....
You going to use it for productivity with the same windows open in the same spots for hours daily? Probably should check something none OLED, it's really not hard is it?

But no it's "GET AN LG OLED TV!" Yo they never did fix the VRR issue completely either in the CX and C1 so there's also that... you know something most PC's will have on for gaming, you still gotta adjust that manually on a per game basis or just have VRR switched off... on a PC.

Maybe just buy a monitor yeah?

Lg haven't fixed the vrr issue because every display in existence suffers from vrr flicker when there are intense fluctuations in fps such as on loading screens. This has been covered so much.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Lg haven't fixed the vrr issue because every display in existence suffers from vrr flicker when there are intense fluctuations in fps such as on loading screens. This has been covered so much.

Uh huh...

Insinuating the CX and C1 lines VRR flickering issue before firmware essentially disables automatic gamma adjustment is akin to a problem "all displays suffer from" is just unfair. Hence why it's still complained about by its userbase on enthusiast sites to this day.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Uh huh...

Insinuating the CX and C1 lines VRR flickering issue before firmware essentially disables automatic gamma adjustment is akin to a problem "all displays suffer from" is just unfair. Hence why it's still complained about by its userbase on enthusiast sites to this day.

I usually see it complained about more by people who try to denounce tge LG tvs tbh. I rarely see people who own them really bringing it up and complaining because they understand why it happens.

Do I want it fixed, of course but I accept it won't happen on current models and I don't and many others don't notice it in 99% of use cases.

Even the new qdoled suffers from it and even my 6 year old asus rog swift TN panel on loading screens.

Last edited:

42" is too big for me.
i love boredatwork, but i would not call them a good monitor review or deep tech review channel. I posted some reviews below that are much more indepth. I don't think you have anything to worry about with burn in. VA/IPS panels suck. bottom line they suck. i have oled TV's and they are amazing. i've gamed bajillionz of hours including hooked to my PC and no burn in issues. this QD oled monitor is going to be amazing and i can't wait for mine to come in.

i love boredatwork, but i would not call them a good monitor review or deep tech review channel. I posted some reviews below that are much more indepth. I don't think you have anything to worry about with burn in. VA/IPS panels suck. bottom line they suck. i have oled TV's and they are amazing. i've gamed bajillionz of hours including hooked to my PC and no burn in issues. this QD oled monitor is going to be amazing and i can't wait for mine to come in.

Thanks for all the links, I'll check them out!

I appreciate all the different perspectives, glad I created this thread. But as you all can tell from this very thread, the issue of OLED burn in seems... Not 100% settled. (At least as far as what regular users and reviewers/"experts" think.)

I appreciate all the different perspectives, glad I created this thread. But as you all can tell from this very thread, the issue of OLED burn in seems... Not 100% settled. (At least as far as what regular users and reviewers/"experts" think.)
No problem at all. I've played hundreds of hours of WOW on my oled tv and no issues. hundreds of hours of COD and no issues. My two best friends also have oled TV's and one has an oled 48inch auros monitor which uses LG panel and no issues. I'd also suggest checking out reddit r/ultrawidemasterrace and r/oled_gaming. they will have a lot of additional resources/threads for you. as long as you take precautions and don't leave static images for a billions years then you are fine and it will be amazing for gaming. The alienware also has pixel and panel refresh. below is the manual so you can read on some of the protections. Panel refresh takes an hour and pixel refresh takes 7 minutes. yeah you have to be more aware of taking care of your monitor, but honestly it's well worth it and really not that intrusive to take an extra second to treat your stuff well.

https://dl.dell.com/content/manual9259641-alienware-aw3423dw-monitor-user-s-guide.pdf?language=en-us

Panel Refresh: To prevent permanent image

retention caused by static content when you use the

monitor for 1500 hours, you can manually activate

this function to refresh the pixels. Alternatively, the

function will be activated automatically when the

accumulated usage time exceeds the factory default

setting (1500 hours). The process takes

approximately an hour to complete.

NOTE: The power LED indicator blinks slowly in

red during the refresh process.

NOTE: To obtain a better performance of Panel

Refresh, activate the function within a

temperature range of 0°C to 45°C.

sorry for yet another reply. just saw techtesters did a new video 4 hours ago about burn in on it. admittedly i've not watched this yet. i'll be watching as soon as i post it here though.

sorry for yet another reply. just saw techtesters did a new video 4 hours ago about burn in on it. admittedly i've not watched this yet. i'll be watching as soon as i post it here though.

Don't be sorry. You're being extremely helpful dude, I truly appreciate all your insight.

Apologies if I'm not being very responsive at the moment, my workday is crazy busy today...

Quickly squeezed in the first 5 minutes of this video while preparing lunch.

Have no clue who this chick is, but she sounds very knowledgeable, speaks clearly and is very easy to understand, even for people who don't know the technology. She is also very honest with her technical assessments. (As in: she's providing an honest technical feedback, she's not trying to sell you a product.) Very well done.

Quickly squeezed in the first 5 minutes of this video while preparing lunch.

Have no clue who this chick is, but she sounds very knowledgeable, speaks clearly and is very easy to understand, even for people who don't know the technology. She is also very honest with her technical assessments. (As in: she's providing an honest technical feedback, she's not trying to sell you a product.) Very well done.
Yeah I completely agree. Her original review of it is very in depth and a great watch. Vincent (which is the fourth youtube video link i posted) is probably my go to authority for screen tech. But, like you said Techtesters does a great job and she speaks clearly and in easy to understand explanation of tech. watched part of a new video on lunch and was pretty impressed with their information on the monitor as well. I know it's a lot of videos and resources, but before spending $1300 i like to understand what im getting into. One catch to keep in mind. This monitor is severely back ordered. It could be several months before you get one if you ordered even today.

SeraphJan

As a lot of people stated in this thread, I also suggest Neo G9, you could never go back to 3440x1440 after this

Top Bottom