• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Controller Comparison | Input lag + more (PS5, PS4, Xbox SX/Elite 2/One, eSwap Pro) - there can be only one

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
200.gif

Rikkori

I haven't tried BT DS4 when I had it on PC, but I can tell you that for the XB1 controller using BT is horrendous. I recently got the wireless MS adapter and it's been incredible and I can wholeheartedly say it's going to be the best money you'll spend for using a gamepad on PC.

As someone that doesn't play competitive games on gamepads, I'd still buy an XB1/SX gamepad over DS/DS4 on PC, because of batteries. While the input lag will be lower, what's missing from here is the battery drain. I might like to get a DS too though, for gyro, but for now I just don't really care that much.

Last edited:

Starhowl

Just managed to get a discounted Xbox Elite 2 controller and purchased it with 3 years of warranty (including the cases of wear and tear) for 20€, knowing of the flaws. With one return likely I would get a new one, each time resetting the warranty to 1 year left at Microsoft. :pie_wfwt:

Last edited:
I just tested the analogue input as I felt it couldn't be that far off on Xbox controllers but I got the exact same results on both Xbox One and Series controllers and a nice smooth circle on Dual Sense. Not sure how big an impact it actually has as I always seem to do better using an Xbox controller but maybe I'm just more used to it.

ethomaz

Banned
I just tested the analogue input as I felt it couldn't be that far off on Xbox controllers but I got the exact same results on both Xbox One and Series controllers and a nice smooth circle on Dual Sense. Not sure how big an impact it actually has as I always seem to do better using an Xbox controller but maybe I'm just more used to it.
He points it won't make difference in a casual play.
But it have interference on competitive play.

If you are comfortable with Xbox Controller there is no reason to change it unless you are really playing as a Pro.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Finally confirmation I'm a filthy casual.
I did a shadow edit to add that if you are comfortable with the controller there is no reason to change it... that is the best way to play for you.
That doesn't change the fact MS could fix it... there is no harm to casuals players doing that.

Last edited:

Jebron

I haven't tried BT DS4 when I had it on PC, but I can tell you that for the XB1 controller using BT is horrendous. I recently got the wireless MS adapter and it's been incredible and I can wholeheartedly say it's going to be the best money you'll spend for using a gamepad on PC.

As someone that doesn't play competitive games on gamepads, I'd still buy an XB1/SX gamepad over DS/DS4 on PC, because of batteries. While the input lag will be lower, what's missing from here is the battery drain. I might like to get a DS too though, for gyro, but for now I just don't really care that much.
This has always been weird to me. The Xbox controllers seem to have an absurd amount of input delay over Bluetooth, but using a DualShock or DualSense with bluetooth is flawless...

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, right. I wondered: How did he do that? Did you watch the complete video? How to "overclock" a controller? 🧐
You increase the polling rate of the USB port transmission.
It means the rate the PC get updates from USB port... I believe the default is 125Hz and that means 125 updates per second or once each 8ms (like he says on video).

The overclock he talks is just increasing that polling rate to 1000Hz in most controllers (Dual Sense supports increase to 8000Hz) so that make the updates around 8x faster (64x on Dual Sense case). The controller needs to be able to receive the faster updates... Xbox controller seems not to be able to receive updates that bigger so the small decrease in input lag with 1000Hz while the PS controller and the eSwap really shines with the upgraded updates frequency.

You will find the Polling Rate option in de Device Manager... you need to search the Device you want to change it and open the properties of the driver... there you will find a tab (Advanced?) that has settings you can change... but not all devices will have that option to change so you could need to rely on 3rd-party apps to change it (some cases you will have to install a customized driver too),

Sadly you can only change that on PC but I can understand because it can create an unfair playfield on consoles... so it is the best for consoles gamers not have these options to change default USB settings.

Edit - There is this tool: https://github.com/LordOfMice/hidusbf

Last edited:
Interestingly how that Thrustmaster completely wipes the floor with all those official ps and xb controllers, if you want any accuracy.

mhirano

You increase the pooling rate of the USB port transmission.
It means the rate the PC get updates from USB port... I believe the default is 125Hz and that means 125 updates per second or once each 8ms (like he says on video).

The overclock he talks is just increasing that pooling rate to 1000Hz in most controllers (Dual Sense supports increase to 8000Hz) so that make the updates around 8x faster (64x on Dual Sense case). The controller needs to be able to receive the faster updates... Xbox controller seems not to be able to receive updates that bigger so the small decrease in input lag with 1000Hz while the PS controller and the eSwap really shines with the upgraded updates frequency.

You will find the Pooling Rate option in de Device Manager... you need to search the Device you want to change it and open the properties of the driver... there you will find a tab that has a lot of settings you can change... but not all devices will have that option to change so you could need to rely on 3rd-party apps to change it (some cases you will have to install a customized driver too),

Sadly you can only change that on PC but I can understand because it can create an unfair playfield on consoles... so it is the best for consoles gamers not have these options to change default USB settings.

Edit - There is this tool: https://github.com/LordOfMice/hidusbf
It's Polling rate, not pooling.
#GrammarNazi

Fbh

Pretty cool video.
Though honestly they all seem fine enough, specially if you aren't into top tier competitive gaming.

Interestingly how that Thrustmaster completely wipes the floor with all those official ps and xb controllers, if you want any accuracy.

To be fair though, at least on amazon it's also like 2.5X more expensive than the Dualsense

To be fair though, at least on amazon it's also like 2.5X more expensive than the Dualsense
I'm mostly looking at the 'elite' price that has same drawbacks as any regular xb or ps pad just with added customization. That thrustmaster is basically flawless [minus the look] and is a real upgrade for xbox and pc players and yet 'elite' is at the top of selling list..

Jebron

I wouldn't call a handful of 1/1000ths of a second an "absurd amount", but I guess everyone is different.
When I've previously used my Elite via bluetooth I've had SECONDS worth of input lag sometimes. It may just be my dongle or laptop that has issues, but going from Bluetooth to the Xbox Wireless Adapter was night and day for me.

Hum

Neo Member
Interesting video.

He mentioned that overclocking the controller could possibly lead to some Side effects, where the game or your system might have difficulty handling the extra data.
But he didn't mention this when talking about using wireless mode. Is it not an issue when using wireless?

The other thing I was wondering about is the inconsistency when using wireless.
He brings this up in the video and that its not ideal for competitive play, but then quickly moves on from there.
I would be interested in seeing some data on that topic, in terms of how often it happens and to what extent, if there's any ways to mitigate it and whatnot.

ethomaz

Banned
Interesting video.

He mentioned that overclocking the controller could possibly lead to some Side effects, where the game or your system might have difficulty handling the extra data.
But he didn't mention this when talking about using wireless mode. Is it not an issue when using wireless?

The other thing I was wondering about is the inconsistency when using wireless.
He brings this up in the video and that its not ideal for competitive play, but then quickly moves on from there.
I would be interested in seeing some data on that topic, in terms of how often it happens and to what extent, if there's any ways to mitigate it and whatnot.
I believe wireless update is too slow compared to overclocked USB to even have issues.

Hum

Neo Member
Recent Bluetooth versions use 1000Hz polling rate.
but he was giving some words of caution for overclocking from 250 Hz to 1000Hz if I understood correctly.
I was a little puzzled by this, since obviously a lot of people use their controllers wirelessly, which as you said is 1000Hz.

ethomaz

Banned
but he was giving some words of caution for overclocking from 250 Hz to 1000Hz if I understood correctly.
I was a little puzzled by this, since obviously a lot of people use their controllers wirelessly, which as you said is 1000Hz.
I need to watch again about what he is talking but there is two level of overclock he did... 1000Hz for all controllers... and 8000Hz for Dual Sense only.

That 8000Hz seems really a bit too far.

Jebron

Wow, so after watching this video I downloaded some tools and compared my Series X controller to my DualSense, and without overclocking I'm VERY disappointed with the analog accuracy of the Series X controller. I'm not sure if it's the increased polling frequency but the DualSense seems SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate. I'm really curious how this affects average gameplay (not at the pro level) especially in twitch shooters and frantic action games.

RobRSG

I think it’s funny when people have their eyes opened and act like it matters.

If you’re playing a competitive FPS on PC with a controller, you’re doing it wrong.

Grab whatever controller you like and be happy.

Last edited:

Self

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't MS say something about including the newest tech for controller latency?
There was a whole dedicated thread for that new tech somewhere... strange times.

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't MS say something about including the newest tech for controller latency?
There was a whole dedicated thread for that new tech somewhere... strange times.
I believe it is not related to controller but the game itself.

Edit - It is about controller lol it is called DLI.

XboxSeriesXLatency_HERO.jpg

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

A lot of people still don’t understand that when MS says “We improved on X”, it means they improved compared to the previous Xbox. Fanboys are just so locked in on PlayStation (losers focus on winners, the saying goes), that they always think it’s related to it.

x@3f*oo_e!

When I've previously used my Elite via bluetooth I've had SECONDS worth of input lag sometimes. It may just be my dongle or laptop that has issues, but going from Bluetooth to the Xbox Wireless Adapter was night and day for me.
Yeah I'm taking all those bluetooth results with a huge pinch of salt - i've never had a bluetooth anything that didn't have serious responsiveness problems. (probably fine when it works as in these tests)

btw general rookie tip - on PC check to turn off bluetooth sleep because it's often on by default. It will be hidden in layers of menus in device manager on win10- usually bluetooth radio, but often multiple devices like to sleep individually and you need to check them all in detail. Doesn't fix half the problems with bluetooth thouhg

x@3f*oo_e!

Wow, so after watching this video I downloaded some tools and compared my Series X controller to my DualSense, and without overclocking I'm VERY disappointed with the analog accuracy of the Series X controller. I'm not sure if it's the increased polling frequency but the DualSense seems SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate. I'm really curious how this affects average gameplay (not at the pro level) especially in twitch shooters and frantic action games.

Looks like xbox is using a lower precision ADC .. but I'm probably wrong. Looks bad.

Last edited:

What tool did you use? Apparently I failed at google. But I can already tell there is something seriously wrong with Xbox controllers at least on PC right now. Accuracy being crap might explain it to a degree, but it's almost like the stick inputs are lagging behind the button inputs. For all its many flaws my Elite Series 1 at least seemed to dodge in the direction I specified but the Series 2 I picked up to replace it is a complete joke. Wired/wireless doesn't seem to matter. I'll have to dig out that Series 1 and test against it but I think I updated the firmware right before I stopped using it too, so maybe it's worse than it used to be.

I don't dig the PlayStation layout at all but I've ordered the back button add-on and am going to give it a real go. Might be time for me to admit that maybe just maybe most Rocket League pros are on DualShock for a reason.
I think it’s funny when people have their eyes opened and act like it matters.

If you’re playing a competitive FPS on PC with a controller, you’re doing it wrong.

Grab whatever controller you like and be happy.
The video is from the Rocket League community, the quality of the controllers do matter and frankly need an actual improvement, starting with removing the goofy L3/R3 push-stick functionality that almost certainly makes the whole thumbstick less reliable. Also FPS on gamepad is stupid regardless of whether it's console or PC.

Top Bottom