• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK weekly physical sales

Yoboman

It was about how gamepass was impacting scarlet nexus sales. People were boosting about uk physical sales which was 80/20.

The fact that scarlet ranked top 6 out of 10 in the US, where xbox is strong, shows that gamepass had no affect on scarlet nexus sales.

People were very concerned how 3rd party sales are weak on xbox.
What was the sales split in the NPD?

kingfey

Banned
What was the sales split in the NPD?
It was on each device. TOP10 for xbox and PlayStation.

Plus split wont matter, when the game is from japan, and PlayStation being a Japanese console. Most of the people who love Japanese games, will get PlayStation anyway.

Yoboman

It was on each device. TOP10 for xbox and PlayStation.

Plus split wont matter, when the game is from japan, and PlayStation being a Japanese console. Most of the people who love Japanese games, will get PlayStation anyway.
Being top 10 on both platforms doesn't mean anything if the top 10 sales are relatively higher on Playstation.

kingfey

Banned
Being top 10 on both platforms doesn't mean anything if the top 10 sales are relatively higher on Playstation.
Lets throw away the top 10 sales on both devices, and compare a platform, which has double consoles, than the other platform.

that is what you sound, my friend.

There is a reason why top 10 exist. It shows the game performed great on the platform. You cant bring another platform, especially when that platform has number advantages.

Its like saying a 14 years can have equal fight, against a 7 years old kid. That is not how it works.

If you want to compare them, divide PlayStation sales by 2, and compare it to xbox. If xbox has higher than those numbers, it doing very well. If its lower, then its performing bad. That is math 101.

Yoboman

Lets throw away the top 10 sales on both devices, and compare a platform, which has double consoles, than the other platform.

There is a reason why top 10 exist. It shows the game performed great on the platform. You cant bring another platform, especially when that platform has number advantages.

Its like saying a 14 years can have equal fight, against a 7 years old kid. That is not how it works.

If you want to compare them, divide PlayStation sales by 2, and compare it to xbox. If xbox has higher than those numbers, it doing very well. If its lower, then its performing bad. That is math 101.
Youre not comparing maths, you are comparing an arbitrary top 10 ranking with no actual numbers attached. The top 10 only works comparing to games in the same top 10, not cross platform. The PS to Xbox split could hypothetically be 90:10 and still show up as a top 10 Xbox game if the relative competition is low enough

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It really isn't.
NPD/UK charts != WW, there is no 2x, so stop that shit already.

SLB1904

Banned

Why would you divide the PlayStation sales in US in 2?

Dude you are all over the place

mckmas8808

Banned
How dare consumers actually want to hold what they buy and have the power manage it as they see fit. Last I checked, I can't resell a digital license.

They are all console warriors at this point. Who argues AGAINST physical media in real life?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Lets stop threads where Xbox looks bad. So every sales threads?
Not at all what I’m saying.

Threads made specifically to drum up fanboy console wars based on completely useless data (and in this case, a blatantly incorrect thread title to bait console wars).

I don’t care about sales, I don’t play sales. Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo aren’t going anywhere no matter how much some wish one or 2 of them to. Sales are irrelevant at this point. Both are selling insane numbers of games, and guess what? Most of them are digital. That’s why the physical sales in the UK for a week are pointless. We’re talking ~20% of the sales in a single market. That’s what people are console warring about in here! The top selling game on this list probably sold 2k copies lol.

Markio128

Sorry to jump off topic for a moment, but I do prefer to discuss games and not sales and I have to say that F1 2021 is very enjoyable. I’m playing it with a controller and it is reminding me of the early PlayStation F1 games in regard to fun factor.

kingfey

Banned
Wouldn't selling a lot more units be an advantage?
Yes, it would be an advantage. It gives them extra copies, the more systems they have.

In order to have a correct data, you need to have them at the same system level count. That way, we can see what system performs better.

Of xbox sells 10k at 1m units, while Playstation sells 100k at 1m system, then Playstation would be a winner. But when you are comparing a 51m system to a 116m, you wont have correct data at all. Playstation could perform badly, and at the same time sell more than xbox.

Yes, it would be an advantage. It gives them extra copies, the more systems they have.

In order to have a correct data, you need to have them at the same system level count. That way, we can see what system performs better.

Of xbox sells 10k at 1m units, while Playstation sells 100k at 1m system, then Playstation would be a winner. But when you are comparing a 51m system to a 116m, you wont have correct data at all. Playstation could perform badly, and at the same time sell more than xbox.

You're calling the PS5 a flop?

kingfey

Banned
You're calling the PS5 a flop?
not a flop. Its the expected sales of next gen consoles. old gen were in the same position, when it got released.

Not enough hardwares, and people to buy the games. Hence the low software sales at the first year. year 2 and beyond is when sales gets picked up.

not a flop. Its the expected sales of next gen consoles. old gen were in the same position, when it got released.

Not enough hardwares, and people to buy the games. Hence the low software sales at the first year. year 2 and beyond is when sales gets picked up.

Well if you look at last gen software sales tend to have a positive relationship with the number of units sold. It's why the PS4 was able to push a lot more software than the XB1. In the end the number of software sold is more important than the attach rate.

Hezekiah

Banned
We had scarlet nexus sales here, but got easily debunked by NPD sales. It was top 10 sales for both PlayStation, and Xbox. This just shows that physical sales means nothing.

Its the old people, who are buying physicals right now.
28% of the console market last year, hardly irrelevant.

If you dont like it, maybe it's better you don't post in this thread instead of bitching and whining about it.
YIWSm6r.jpg

kingfey

Banned
28% of the console market last year, hardly irrelevant.

If you dont like it, maybe it's better you don't post in this thread instead of bitching and whining about it.
YIWSm6r.jpg
If you want to bring that, then the mobile market beat the mighty Playstation easily. Even the pc market was 22% against 29% of consoles.
Your point is honesty irrelevant to the topic you were responding to.

The PlayStation 4 version of Scarlet Nexus sold 20,160 physical copies during its first week on sale in Japan, making it the fifth bestselling retail game of the week in the country.

That is on a 9m ps4 console which is sold on Japan.

Try more of these data.

Hezekiah

Banned
If you want to bring that, then the mobile market beat the mighty Playstation easily. Even the pc market was 22% against 29% of consoles.
Your point is honesty irrelevant to the topic you were responding to.

The PlayStation 4 version of Scarlet Nexus sold 20,160 physical copies during its first week on sale in Japan, making it the fifth bestselling retail game of the week in the country.

That is on a 9m ps4 console which is sold on Japan.

Try more of these data.
You suggested that it's only old people buying boxed games.

That's just stupid - the data clearly shows that you're wrong because it's a significant minority. The mobile market is irrelevant here we're talking about the console market. Very odd for you to be talking about irrelevancy here - I'll put it down to your language barrier and confusion on your part.

kingfey

Banned
You suggested that it's only old people buying boxed games.

That's just stupid - the data clearly shows that you're wrong because it's a significant minority. The mobile market is irrelevant here we're talking about the console market. Very odd for you to be talking about irrelevancy here - I'll put it down to your language barrier and confusion on your part.
Oh you mean the boxed?
Wouldn't 28% means its dying out? Especially with gamestop closing tons of their store, and the only option to get is the Amazon?

How long will it stay at 28%? 10 years?

Digital started seriously at the ps3/x360 era, and now its 72% over all sales. The pc market is all in on digital.

The only ones that are busy with it, are the old gen guys from the disc era. In 5 years, you should it hitting at 10%, then in 5 years, fading it completely.

That is how come so far. From inferior digital sales, to 2/3 sales.

Hezekiah

Banned
Oh you mean the boxed?
Wouldn't 28% means its dying out? Especially with gamestop closing tons of their store, and the only option to get is the Amazon?

How long will it stay at 28%? 10 years?

Digital started seriously at the ps3/x360 era, and now its 72% over all sales. The pc market is all in on digital.

The only ones that are busy with it, are the old gen guys from the disc era. In 5 years, you should it hitting at 10%, then in 5 years, fading it completely.

That is how come so far. From inferior digital sales, to 2/3 sales.
"Its the old people, who are buying physicals right now."

Your exact words. Do you really think they're all old people? 💩

kingfey

Banned
"Its the old people, who are buying physicals right now."

Your exact words. Do you really think they're all old people? 💩
How old do you think n64 owners are right now?
40 years old people playing video games are old people. They aren't kids anymore.

Please try to learn something, before you try to act smug about it.

Hezekiah

Banned
How old do you think n64 owners are right now?
40 years old people playing video games are old people. They aren't kids anymore.

Please try to learn something, before you try to act smug about it.
That's probably the dumbest thing you've posted in this thread and that really is saying something.

For somebody who loves data so much, it's amazing how you just attribute boxed sales to old N64 owners 😅😅.

kingfey

Banned
That's probably the dumbest thing you've posted in this thread and that really is saying something.

For somebody who loves data so much, it's amazing how you just attribute boxed sales to old N64 owners 😅😅.
This is my problem, trying to talk to kids.

Always missing the point.

Just 2 posts away, I told you old people buys disc. You asked me who are those people. Then I proceeded to tell you those who bought the n64.

And now, you trying to change the subject.

I will make you understand it in a kids way.

During n64 era, people hard cartridge. Then the ps2/Og xbox happened. We got to disc's.

These people who grow up in these era, are buying the disc's. While the new generation are buying digital.

This is simply a common sense. It's not that hard to understand.

Hezekiah

Banned
This is my problem, trying to talk to kids.

Always missing the point.

Just 2 posts away, I told you old people buys disc. You asked me who are those people. Then I proceeded to tell you those who bought the n64.

And now, you trying to change the subject.

I will make you understand it in a kids way.

During n64 era, people hard cartridge. Then the ps2/Og xbox happened. We got to disc's.

These people who grow up in these era, are buying the disc's. While the new generation are buying digital.

This is simply a common sense. It's not that hard to understand.
No I didn't ask you who those people are, I asked you if you really think all 28% are old people.

And then you just pulled N64 owners out of your arse. Embarrassing.

kingfey

Banned
No I didn't ask you who those people are, I asked you if you really think all 28% are old people.

Who the hell is buying disc's these days?

Unless you are from that era, your odds of buying a dics is 5%. The only way you buy a disc, is if its close to you, or you are trying to be a used one.

kingfey

Banned

21. 83% of game purchases are in digital format.

(Source: Statista)

This includes subscriptions, full games, add-on content, mobile apps, and social network games. In contrast, only 17% of video games were purchased in physical form.

Current data.

Hope this proves you, that those old era are the ones who buy discs.

Hezekiah

Banned

This includes subscriptions, full games, add-on content, mobile apps, and social network games. In contrast, only 17% of video games were purchased in physical form.

Current data.

Statista / Techjury.net 😅😅

A couple of shit links which prove nothing about what we're talking about anyway.

Are you fucking kidding me 🤦

kingfey

Banned
Statista / Techjury.net 😅😅

A couple of shit links which prove nothing about what we're talking about anyway.

Are you fucking kidding me 🤦
The proof of stupidity. I guess you want your own data then. No point in containing this useless topic, since you really dont want to understand it.
Well Done Bravo GIF by Friends

Hezekiah

Banned
The proof of stupidity. I guess you want your own data then. No point in containing this useless topic, since you really dont want to understand it.
Well Done Bravo GIF by Friends
You're quoting Statista. You might aswell be using VGChartz. I'm losing brain cells just looking at your posts, some of the dumbest stuff on NeoGAf 😅😅😅.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
You're quoting Statista. You might aswell be using VGChartz. I'm losing brain cells just looking at your posts, some of the dumbest stuff on NeoGAf 😅😅😅.

With the growing popularity of digital games, DLC and microtransactions, it feels as if the physical video game does not quite belong in this new digital world. Data from GSD reveals some ominous signs: FIFA 21 launched in early October in the UK, and by the end of its first week 69% of the games were downloaded when measured by sales value. If this is a secular trend it is hardly surprising when Goldman Sachs, an investment bank, concluded that the PlayStation 5 digital version will help accelerate digital-only games to account for 80% share of global game sales, compared to just 20% for physical games in 2025.

The second quarter of 2020 is instructive of how the shift from physical to digital games globally coincided with the high street shutting down due to government rules to manage the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. According to Sony, only 41% of Sony's PlayStation games in the second quarter were sold in the physical format, down from 55% in the same quarter in 2019. This only helped to consolidate PlayStation's revenue from digital sources -- including downloaded software, add-ons, and networking services -- which reached 77% of all global game revenue. GSD data for the UK shows a similar trend. Across the first three quarters of this year, physical game sales only accounted for 25% of sold units and 32% of sales value (among the 18 major publishers who share digital data with ISFE).

All of this looks ominous for physical games, but this is not the complete picture. A lot of downloaded games are back-catalogue titles, and when it comes to looking at data for new games, especially for the first two weeks of sales, the story changes -- physical game sales accounted for 41% of sold units and 41% of sales value.

According to Retail Economics, a consultancy, most UK retailers are not equipped for a 50% share of online sales, nor for the possible 15% spike in sales over the festive period. One of the issues is that supply chains are operating in slower, socially distanced warehouses. Another is delivery constraints, so much so that some delivery companies have imposed parcel limits on retailers.

The first 2 weeks is when the physical sales are good, then go downhill. This could be blamed by the supply constraint, and supply chains. Covid had also huge impact on changing the devs to digital sales.

kingfey

Banned
You're a 50 year-old troll on a gaming forum.

I'm surprised anything gives you a headache 🤭.
I like you. You are first one to have at least some discussion with me. This is a forum, meant for discussion. Ignoring people, defeats the purpose of having the forum in the first place.

I appreciate for having some civil discussion with me.

I am sorry if I went overboard with my discussion. I am sorry.

Mr Moose

Current data.

Kinda misleading since that data includes mobile and PC, not just consoles.
And it's from 2018.

kingfey

Banned
Kinda misleading since that data includes mobile and PC, not just consoles.
And it's from 2018.
by Victor Yanev
Last Updated: July 6, 2021

Its a recent data. That is the only recent data for physical sales, which I could have pulled. Couldnt find others. Might have to look for more next time.

Mr Moose

by Victor Yanev
Last Updated: July 6, 2021

Its a recent data. That is the only recent data for physical sales, which I could have pulled. Couldnt find others. Might have to look for more next time.
tenor.png

Digital and physical game sales in the U.S. 2009-2018, by format​

Published by J. Clement

May 5, 2021
In 2018, a record 83 percent of all computer and video games were sold in digital form, meaning that, once the game is downloaded, it is immediately ready to play. In contrast, only 17 percent of video games were sold in physical form. This is a dramatic turnaround from less than a decade earlier, when 80 percent of video games were sold as physical copies.
You can't get physical mobile games and PC physical might as well not exist (it's rare), so the numbers are skewed.

Last edited:

sainraja

That was kinda big deal at that time.
Not exactly sure where you are going at this point but the reason it was kind of a bullet point on the PS2 wasn't due to it being disc media, it was because it was DVD. Sony's advantage during the PS1 era was disc media (CD/CompactDisc) due to its cost, storage size (this was also true for both DVD & Blu-ray) and they could make more of it quickly and it was better for having FMVs or as they are now (more appropriately) referred to as: cutscenes (CGI).

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Not exactly sure where you are going at this point but the reason it was kind of a bullet point on the PS2 wasn't due to it being disc media, it was because it was DVD. Sony's advantage during the PS1 era was disc media (CD/CompactDisc) due to its cost, storage size (this was also true for both DVD & Blu-ray) and they could make more of it quickly and it was better for having FMVs or as they are now (more appropriately) referred to as: cutscenes (CGI).
I didnt mean the dvd reason. The ability to put disc to your system. Having more storage for these games. Those kind of boring stuff for us gamers.

Business wise, Sony did revolution that. Like you stated there. I cant refute a single thing you stated.

Top Bottom