• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK weekly physical sales

kingfey

Banned
What do you mean because of PS4 numbers? You are aware the Xbox version is just the Xbox version (no just Xbox One or Series versions, just one version).
It's the US, they aren't that far apart.
Of course the split matters, or even better actual numbers.
Number 6 in a chart means nothing without either those.
What you are missing is the PlayStation is 2x of xbox. Its unfair to do sales comparison. You need to do /2 of the sales to compare it to xbox. Without that, you are giving advantage to PlayStation, which people here will scream about it.

2nd point is sales on top matters. hitting top 10 in each console, means your game was successful on that month. Remember, the game is contending with other games. Top 10 would mean, it sold alot of copies.

The only actual data we have is famitsu from japan for physical sales, and digital. In order to do top 10, you have to sell more copies than other games, and maintain it for the entire month.

Some games have slow week (Returnal), then strong week following next weeks. That is due to praises it gets, which encourages people to buy it.

kingfey

Banned
Yeap it depends of the place.
To add I found a March tweet from him sharing some digital splits in UK that is lower than the avg. worldwide.

Monster Hunter Rise had 38% digital in UK.

This article detail a lot of Physical/Digital split of 2020 games.

gonna check the twitter in the lunch time. Work is blocking twitter, so i cant see it clearly.

kingfey

Banned
Didn't UK (together with US) used to be Xbox land?
Xbox fked everyone. They had very strong on x360. Then they decided TV, and ignored gamers. So they paid dearly, and lost it to playstation. X360 had strong xbox live with cod, fifa. That mistake costed them dearly.

Mr Moose

What you are missing is the PlayStation is 2x of xbox. Its unfair to do sales comparison. You need to do /2 of the sales to compare it to xbox. Without that, you are giving advantage to PlayStation, which people here will scream about it.

2nd point is sales on top matters. hitting top 10 in each console, means your game was successful on that month. Remember, the game is contending with other games. Top 10 would mean, it sold alot of copies.

The only actual data we have is famitsu from japan for physical sales, and digital. In order to do top 10, you have to sell more copies than other games, and maintain it for the entire month.

Some games have slow week (Returnal), then strong week following next weeks. That is due to praises it gets, which encourages people to buy it.
I am going to stop reading here. No it isn't, NPD is US/NA and they are quite close in sales, not 2x over Xbox.
Anyway, this is the UK thread.

kingfey

Banned
I am going to stop reading here. No it isn't, NPD is US/NA and they are quite close in sales, not 2x over Xbox.
Anyway, this is the UK thread.
My replay wasnt about the npd. It was the split sales of xbox and playstation. Playstation had the advantage of numbers. If both of them are going neck to neck, it means xbox has strong sales than PlayStation. Playstation has numbers, and it shouldnt go neck to neck with xbox. The number advantage should give playstation some lead in sales.

For example, If xbox sold 100k hitman 3, PlayStation should sell 200k digital, not 100k. If it sells that, it means not enough playstation users are buying the game.

ethomaz

Banned
My replay wasnt about the npd. It was the split sales of xbox and playstation. Playstation had the advantage of numbers. If both of them are going neck to neck, it means xbox has strong sales than PlayStation. Playstation has numbers, and it shouldnt go neck to neck with xbox. The number advantage should give playstation some lead in sales.

For example, If xbox sold 100k hitman 3, PlayStation should sell 200k digital, not 100k. If it sells that, it means not enough playstation users are buying the game.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
PlayStation / Xbox market share in UK is more like 1.5:1 instead 2:1.

If you look the % of games sales the Xbox is selling less than it should compared with Playstation with the amount of consoles in UK.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I was under the impression that the Xbox One S/X did quite well there too, but I stand corrected. :)
We have only 2020 data yet.

PS5: 450k
Series: 310k

We have tweets about how PS5 is UK best selling console in 2021... so the gap did grow.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
PlayStation / Xbox market share in UK is more like 1.5:1 instead 2:1.

If you look the % of games sales the Xbox is selling less than it should compared with Playstation with the amount of consoles in UK.
The thing is 1.5 exist. Then you need to account the people who are buying the game. One platform might have double of these people, compared to the other platform.

For example UK is all about Fifa. Playstation has the advantage in those sales. other factors plays a role too. One other important key is the duel console people.

As long as playstation has 1.5 lead over xbox, it will have more sales. especially those who have the 2 consoles, who want to build their PlayStation library. These causes xbox to have less overtime.

ethomaz

Banned
The thing is 1.5 exist. Then you need to account the people who are buying the game. One platform might have double of these people, compared to the other platform.

For example UK is all about Fifa. Playstation has the advantage in those sales. other factors plays a role too. One other important key is the duel console people.

As long as playstation has 1.5 lead over xbox, it will have more sales. especially those who have the 2 consoles, who want to build their PlayStation library. These causes xbox to have less overtime.
Double is 2:1.

1.5:1 is like one console has 150k and the other 100k.

Now the % split in the OP is indeed around 2:1 in software... so the Xbox platform is selling less than it should by statistics.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
We have only 2020 data yet.

PS5: 450k
Series: 310k

We have tweets about how PS5 is UK best selling console in 2021... so the gap did grow.

It will grow wide too, considering Xbox is now focusing on pc. US, and UK have more pc gamers, which will affect their decision to buy xbox. Unless xbox drops PC support, they wont increase their number that much, like playstation, which doesnt have any ties to pc market. Unless they buy major publisher like bethesda, or do crazy partner for gamepass like uplay+, or some form.

Can we already confirm the concerning pattern?
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by Laff

kingfey

Banned
Double is 2:1.

1.5:1 is like one console has 150k and the other 100k.

Now the % split in the OP is indeed around 2:1 in software... so the Xbox platform is selling less than it should by statistics.
If its f1, 2:1, it is normal. Xbox has both forza, need for speed from gamepass. Racing would have hard time there, compared to PlayStation, which only has GT.

kingfey

Banned
Xbox has Forza, PS has GT.

Everything else is multiplaform in both... Need for Speed is on PS too.
That wasnt my point. Point was. when xbox has forza great racing game, and can access need for speed from gamepass, there is no need for a racing game that much. Especially with horizon 4. People will be hesitant to buy the game.

yes need for speed is on playstation, but not like xbox. Most of need for speed, especially backward compatible ones are available on xbox.

Its more of a decision effect.

kingfey

Banned
This is up to 2020 (ERA leak in March 2021).

PS4 LTD: 7.58m
Xbox One LTD: 5.6m
Switch LTD: 4m

Actually 1.35:1.
That is actually impressive. I though xbox would be little bit lower. They improved too much these days.

Do you think they have a chance to gain the ground again? If they can get this numbers after the 2013 e3, i would be surprised what they can achieve this gen, after their recent e3.

Will fifa being in gamepass day1 affect the UK, or Europe as whole? We saw how fifa 21 was on gamepass after 6 months.

Fredrik

Interesting thought. Is this why we see so many Switch games on the top lists? A constant numbers advantage?

kingfey

Banned
Interesting thought. Is this why we see so many Switch games on the top lists? A constant numbers advantage?
Switch has that charm of handle held. I went and bought it, enjoyed more playing on my bed, than on my tv. That how good it is. And games arent cheaper on that system.

kingfey

Banned
Wow, Skyward at number one already outselling the original launch? 😲
power of generation. This gen have more gamers. And games arent a taboo anymore. Everyone can play normal now. Still, I face few annoyance from people. People who look down on those who play video games, and call them waste of time.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Holy shit physical sales are dire but man, I ain't paying no 70 pound digital for a game like ratchet that I platinum in a weekend! Long may physical survive!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We had scarlet nexus sales here, but got easily debunked by NPD sales. It was top 10 sales for both PlayStation, and Xbox. This just shows that physical sales means nothing.

Its the old people, who are buying physicals right now.
Tom Cruise Reaction GIF

Debunked? Rumors get debunked, not actual sales numbers. There is nothing to "debunk". The NPD numbers do not go against the sales split we saw earlier for Scarlet Nexus.

kingfey

Banned
Tom Cruise Reaction GIF

Debunked? Rumors get debunked, not actual sales numbers. There is nothing to "debunk". The NPD numbers do not go against the sales split we saw earlier for Scarlet Nexus.
It was about how gamepass was impacting scarlet nexus sales. People were boosting about uk physical sales which was 80/20.

The fact that scarlet ranked top 6 out of 10 in the US, where xbox is strong, shows that gamepass had no affect on scarlet nexus sales.

People were very concerned how 3rd party sales are weak on xbox.

SLB1904

Banned
That is actually impressive. I though xbox would be little bit lower. They improved too much these days.

Do you think they have a chance to gain the ground again? If they can get this numbers after the 2013 e3, i would be surprised what they can achieve this gen, after their recent e3.

Will fifa being in gamepass day1 affect the UK, or Europe as whole? We saw how fifa 21 was on gamepass after 6 months.
anigif_sub-buzz-25972-1479741401-2.gif

yazenov

What was the split in NPD? It being number 6 or whatever means nothing without a sales split or actual numbers.

Yeah its strange to use this as conclusive evidence since we really dont know the split in the US. Also, Ratchet and Clank just released on the PS5 in the same month so PS gamer aren't starved for new games unlike Xbox users.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Digital media is a scam. Go tell the guy who sold his Legend of Zelda for almost a $1mil or the guy that sold his Super Mario 64 copy for over $1.6mil that it's a waste of resources. Then in 25 years you go try selling your whole stinking digital collection for more than a $100 lol
You won’t have access to it in 25 years it will have been removed from your library :)

Top Bottom