• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK weekly physical sales: 77% of sales of Metro Exodus Complete Edition were on PS5

Renozokii

rlq2jXu.png
As you can see, the digital split is much higher on PlayStation, whilst physical is relatively static, even the digital argument for Xbox doesn’t hold weight as games just sell substantially better on PlayStation.
Again not really trying to argue but that digital number does include all indies or games with no real physical edition. While the physical is cut in half since Sony usually only sees 30-40 bucks per copy of a physician title. I’ve seen data on specific games and the split is usually sub 65 digital and 40-50 physical.

Leyasu

Banned
Good point. I'd think MS would need at least 100 million GamePass subs before they could even make a true profit. But that's assuming their expenses are similar to Disney+ and the like.
The expenses are not comparable. If Microsoft are using GP to fund their studios only, then 100M full paying subs would leave a nice chunk of money spare every month. I would be surprised if the running costs of their 23 studios was a lot over 120M dollars a month

mckmas8808

Banned
But we do have the data.

Very interesting. I think Sony will be kicking themselves in the nuts when they find out that PS4 gamers are looking to move over to the PS5 ASAP and will be willing to hold off on buying some game software until they get ahold of a PS5. Maybe their plan to feed the PS4 beast was a miscalculation then going by these numbers.

The expenses are not comparable. If Microsoft are using GP to fund their studios only, then 100M full paying subs would leave a nice chunk of money spare every month. I would be surprised if the running costs of their 23 studios was a lot over 120M dollars a month

What do you mean they aren't comparable? I'm not following.

Leyasu

Banned
Very interesting. I think Sony will be kicking themselves in the nuts when they find out that PS4 gamers are looking to move over to the PS5 ASAP and will be willing to hold off on buying some game software until they get ahold of a PS5. Maybe their plan to feed the PS4 beast was a miscalculation then going by these numbers.

What do you mean they aren't comparable? I'm not following.
Making films has actors/directors and producers all demanding high salaries, and are made in a shorter time period than games. Whereas the studio staff are salaried, with production spread out over a few years.

NahaNago

60% to 70% of sales has been the norm for most of last gen when it comes to playstation so this is nothing new and simply a continuation.

NickFire

Can only speak for myself, but outside of sports games I held off on purchases for over a year as I expected remasters of all first party games early this gen. Guessing I was not the only one.

But we do have the data.

So if these datas are correct, it's showing that the numbers provided for the physical sales are a little useless alone. RE village sold Physically 80% in UK on PS and 20% on Xbox during the launch week (78/22 the week after), 4:1 ratio. I suppose the ratio he shared are in UK also, and that's finally 2:1 for PS consoles when taking in account digital sales... So it seems that digital ratio is simply bigger on Xbox than PS.

Last edited:
So if these datas are correct, it's showing that the numbers provided for the physical sales are a little useless alone. RE village sold Physically 80% in UK on PS and 20% on Xbox during the launch week (78/22 the week after), 4:1 ratio. I suppose the ratio he shared are in UK also, and that's finally 2:1 for PS consoles when taking in account digital sales... So it seems that digital ratio is simply bigger on Xbox than PS.

Last part of the tweet means digitally overall compared to physical sales. Not PS4 specifically. Otherwise, he would share Xbox split then. Like he did for physical.

Three

These are physical sales... The Xbox ecosystem is HEAVILY digital. Everything about their platform is geared towards digital functionality. Physical sales paint an incorrect picture of actual sales breaks downs. Without digital corroboration it's worthless data.

How is it more geared to digital than a PS4 or PS5? This excuse doesn't work as third party digital percentages align with PS digital percentages meaning the platforms likely align too unless xbox sales are negligible.

If the physical data was truly worthless then it wouldn't be happening every week with every release. There is clearly a pattern. Xbox with low sales may be getting less stock and shelf space now in some stores but it's the low sales that caused that to begin with.

Damn that's one expensive game.
Only if you're used to low budget games. $110M isn't even out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Well its not surprising. You can expect this the rest of the gen with MS's model encouraging gamers to not pay for games anymore
Thank you Microsoft. They finally put an end to sales wars and Sony fanboys are so happy they have to buy their games lol. I believe everyone I happy

They can go as high as sixty. “It’s the cost of one game”. Blah blah blah

Xbox owners didn’t suddenly become poor. They are only acting price conscious now because MS is telling them to
Lol, you're out of your fucking mind. Nobody is going to pay 60, not even 20 for the service.

You actually believe people spend more than six hundred dollars a year for videogames?

Most people buy only 2 or 3 games a year and they don't even buy them full price.

ZehDon

They can go as high as sixty. “It’s the cost of one game”. Blah blah blah

Xbox owners didn’t suddenly become poor. They are only acting price conscious now because MS is telling them to
To be fair, price has become a focal point this generation on its own. Sony raised their game prices by 25% in Australia; AUD$125.00 games automatically makes folks price conscious. Compounding that is Microsoft's whole "economy of scale" thing via Gamepass, trying to get the barrier of entry down for players. It's hard not to be price conscious in this environment; two Sony games at release or a year of Gamepass isn't something we've ever really had to consider prior to this generation.

To be fair, price has become a focal point this generation on its own. Sony raised their game prices by 25% in Australia; AUD$125.00 games automatically makes folks price conscious. Compounding that is Microsoft's whole "economy of scale" thing via Gamepass, trying to get the barrier of entry down for players. It's hard not to be price conscious in this environment; two Sony games at release or a year of Gamepass isn't something we've ever really had to consider prior to this generation.
Yeah, there's no comparison. Obviously Xbox is going to win this generation because of their offering. Gamepass is a big threat, there's just no way of comparing paying 15 dollars a month to 70 just for a digital game.

I'm actually regretting buying a PS5 but there's no way I would buy an Xbox because they have no games yet. But the moment those Bethesda games start hitting and if the other studios pan out
then it's game over.

Last part of the tweet means digitally overall compared to physical sales. Not PS4 specifically. Otherwise, he would share Xbox split then. Like he did for physical.

So just by curiosity but how do you explain the 4:1 ratio PS vs XBOX for Retail sales during the 2 first week and finally these 2:1 ratio ? (to be clear, that's not an attack against you)

Last edited:

Kumomeme

this. AAA game cost nowdays not cheap. especially if they want to make game on quality like Sony first party. there reason why they want to increase the price. other big hitters like GTA V and RDR2 also very expensive to make and development take years before they can release it. i actually scratching my head how they gonna recoup the cost solely based on gamepass subs money. unless they has over 200m subscriber.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
this. AAA game cost nowdays not cheap. especially if they want to make game on quality like Sony first party. there reason why they want to increase the price. other big hitters like GTA V and RDR2 also very expensive to make and development take years before they can release it. i actually scratching my head how they gonna recoup the cost solely based on gamepass subs money. unless they has over 200m subscriber.
200m full paying subs is over 2bn a month!!

Running 23 studios is costing Microsoft a fraction of that every month. They don’t need 200m subs to make it work. Nowhere near unless they want gp to pay for the whole division

200m full paying subs is over 2bn a month!!

Running 23 studios is costing Microsoft a fraction of that every month. They don’t need 200m subs to make it work. Nowhere near unless they want gp to pay for the whole division
They're already profitable with ~25m subs. It's only gonna get better.

Lol, you're out of your fucking mind. Nobody is going to pay 60, not even 20 for the service.

You actually believe people spend more than six hundred dollars a year for videogames?

Most people buy only 2 or 3 games a year and they don't even buy them full price.
People will pay $20 for Game Pass Ultimate when they add family share. Maybe evwn more.

Rolla

Banned

Can you provide a source for this info?

Last I heard Greenberg himself said they weren't profitable

Also a popular XBOX "insider" by the name of Tom Warren reiterated that Gamepass was not profitable just last month. So if you have info that says otherwise that'd be significant to the discussion so please share that with us.

Last edited:
Can you provide a source for this info?

Last I heard Greenberg himself said they weren't profitable

Also a popular XBOX "insider" by the name of Tom Warren reiterated that Gamepass was not profitable just last month. So if you have info that says otherwise that'd be significant to the discussion so please share that with us.

Both of your sources don't say that it isn't profitable. Greenberg says that it's not a "big short-term profit play", which is quite a different statement. He's talking about the business strategy.

Tom Warren is only speculating, which he admits in a later tweet.

As to why I think it's profitable, it's simple maths. They're currently making at least 100m a month with Gamepass, that's the absolute bare minimum and the real figure is likely higher. It doesn't cost 100m a month to run 23 studios, not even close. And the third party Gamepass moneyhats aren't super expensive, see what Epic paid for their free games.

Rolla

Banned
As to why I think it's profitable, it's simple maths. They're currently making at least 100m a month with Gamepass, that's the absolute bare minimum and the real figure is likely higher. It doesn't cost 100m a month to run 23 studios, not even close. And the third party Gamepass moneyhats aren't super expensive, see what Epic paid for their free games.

Ok thanks for the clarification. In my humble opinion best not to present your opinion, especially when it comes to data, as fact.

PaNaMa

Banned
I'm not surprised at all that people who already own a game via Gamepass did not also go out and buy a physical copy at retail - why would anyone do this.

However, it does beg the question: Has this hurt Microsoft's relationship with retailers? And by extension, does XBOX brand or does consumer awareness get affected when people walk into TRU and Walmart and see giant (red) sections for Nintendo, Blue Sections for Playstation, and almost nothing for Xbox? The xbox sections in my local walmarts and TRUs are shrinking every time I go into the store. How likely is the Merchant to keep allocating shelf space when the supplier is cutting them out of the profit loop? Obviously Netflix doesn't need merchant shelf space to succeed, but that's still a bit of apples to oranges comparison. People still need a place to buy the consoles and controllers for the time being, and around here anyways parents still like to buy actual things to wrap up for under the christmas tree. I'm sure Microsoft has considered and calculated for this, and maybe the game pass revenue is so good it outweighs the negatives

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

huh...now you mention it, yea i think most people would not buy alot of games per year tbh. and alot of them will just buy them on sales.

Both of your sources don't say that it isn't profitable. Greenberg says that it's not a "big short-term profit play", which is quite a different statement. He's talking about the business strategy.

Tom Warren is only speculating, which he admits in a later tweet.

Well thought out my friend, seems too many Gaf posters are fixated on if Gamepass is sustainable, yet with every passing month it gets better 🤔 All that matters is that we the consumer are getting a fantastic deal gaming with Xbox.

lh032

Gamepass is not profitable yet.

Unless the price of bringing the games to gamepass is cheap, its not gonna happen.
AAA games on gamepass doesnt comes free.

We are talking about Microsoft here.
If gamepass is profitable they would have boasting figures now.

What makes you think, Gamepass which has around 25 mil members, and better selection of games including AAA games day 1 is profitable for Microsoft for now? makes no sense.....its obvious Microsoft spends alot to bring those games to gamepass.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Well thought out my friend, seems too many Gaf posters are fixated on if Gamepass is sustainable, yet with every passing month it gets better 🤔 All that matters is that we the consumer are getting a fantastic deal gaming with Xbox.
People are not seeing the wood for the trees with gp. Microsoft are probably still subsidising it at the moment. Just no where near what some are hoping that they are.

People are not seeing the wood for the trees with gp. Microsoft are probably still subsidising it at the moment. Just no where near what some are hoping that they are.
I agree, I think it's probably not making money as such but it's driving the Xbox division forward and has shown massive growth in a short period of time.

The Alien

Banned
Gamers on XBox have been enjoying Metro Exodus in GamePass for more than 6 months.

This isn't news. Its fanboy flame war bait.

Gamepass is not profitable yet.

Unless the price of bringing the games to gamepass is cheap, its not gonna happen.
AAA games on gamepass doesnt comes free.

We are talking about Microsoft here.
If gamepass is profitable they would have boasting figures now.

PS+ around 45 mil members, profitable for Sony.
What makes you think, Gamepass which has around 25 mil members, and better selection of games including AAA games day 1 is profitable? makes no sense.....
Just do the maths bro. They're making a shitton of money.

lh032

i think people are forgetting that, its not surprising if Gamepass is not profitable.

Microsoft is building a huge playerbase on gamepass now, they can afford the loses, its a long term strategy, thats why they are pushing gamepass xcloud on all devices as much as possible.

Top Bottom