• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK weekly physical sales: 77% of sales of Metro Exodus Complete Edition were on PS5

Defrop

Banned
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart sales up 2% compared to the previous week, making it the best selling game of the week by a comfortable margin
  • 77% of sales of Metro Exodus Complete Edition were on PS5
  • Resident Evil: Village re-enters the top 5 after a 59% sales increase thanks an increase in sales of the PS5 version
  • The PS5 version of Final Fantasy VII Remake and Guilty Gear Strive drop out of the top 40
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales retains in top 10 spot, dropping from 5th to 7th
gIHaMrq.jpg

gamesindustry

Last edited:
its looking like gamepass is becoming the way to deliver content to xbox gamers. they just aint buying game otherwise. resident evil also had a massive split towards playstation. all these popluar games being played mainly on PS platforms is bad for microsoft.

whats starting to happen now is, 3rd party games that dont launch on gamepass are starting to tank on xbox platforms. this is making it easy for sony to make deals for timed exclusives and extra content because they dont lose out much by missing the xbox platforms.... but it could also mean microsoft could get more of these game to launch on gamepass and that would be bad for sony.

Last edited:

iHaunter

its looking like gamepass is becoming the way to deliver content to xbox gamers. they just aint buying game otherwise. resident evil also had a massive split towards playstation. all these popluar games being played mainly on PS platforms is bad for microsoft.

whats starting to happen now is, 3rd party games that dont launch on gamepass are starting to tank on xbox platforms. this is making it easy for sony to make deals for timed exclusives and extra content because they dont lose out much by missing the xbox platforms.... but it could also mean microsoft could get more of these game to launch on gamepass and that would be bad for sony.
It's not even that, there's no new games for Xbox in general. Last game was The Medium, which was average. They have no big titles at all.

Helghan

Since Microsoft has the numbers to backup their claim that GP users buy more DLC, play more games and buy more games, I would think it's more interesting for a 3rd party studio to go the GP way.

Depending on how much Microsoft pays them of course. Might be that the studio earns more by joining GP and getting money for DLC's then selling copies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
While I think it's valid to discuss the implications of gamepass in these lopsided ratios, the worst thing about these threads is that this is a weekly sales chart so we are gonna have to live through this week after week for the next 7 years. Might be as well make an OT for.

U.K weekly charts |OT| 77% Every 7 Days For 7 Years

It's not even that, there's no new games for Xbox in general. Last game was The Medium, which was average. They have no big titles at all.

but resident evil village was a new game and it had over 80% of sales on playstation platforms. the splits are becoming bigger since microsoft starting focusing heavily on gamepass. its definitely having an impact on than buying habits of xbox gamers.

Since Microsoft has the numbers to backup their claim that GP users buy more DLC, play more games and buy more games, I would think it's more interesting for a 3rd party studio to go the GP way.

Depending on how much Microsoft pays them of course. Might be that the studio earns more by joining GP and getting money for DLC's then selling copies.

whats the biggest 3rd party game to launch on gamepass? people made a big deal about outriders and mlb but i wouldnt call those big games. you get alot of indies launching on gamepass though. of course microsoft could change this but its seems to me it would really expensive and microsoft choose not to do it. its just easier for sony because they have the biggest platform in the world. 3rd party's want the biggest possible audience.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
but resident evil village was a new game and it had over 80% of sales on playstation platforms. the splits are becoming bigger since microsoft starting focusing heavily on gamepass. its definitely having an impact on than buying habits of xbox gamers.
I wonder if the drop off in game sales is worse than MS predicted at the big table

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Sony boys continue buying games like they used to, Xbots stopped, waiting for them on GP.
It's a bit early for those conclusions - especially since GP selection hasn't been 'that' broad, outside of 1st party.
And early adopters tend to be the most active spenders, but also multi-device more often than not. They might just be spending on other devices (like the ones that actually have new software built for them...).

Chukhopops

I'm not saying games sell more on Xbox but remember Metro Exodus has been available on GP for an entire year between June 2019 and June 2020. I assume a lot of people played it during that time (like I did actually, although I didn't find it that good). If you buy it on Xbox it's really because you want to play the re-release.

I could also say that UK + physical is less than 4% of the global market but everybody knows that already.

Yoboman

Thats great for GAAS, not great for single player games

What revenue are RE8 and Metro meant to make from DLC? In fact it's just encouraging the return of microtransactions to SP games

GHG

Gold Member
I'm not saying games sell more on Xbox but remember Metro Exodus has been available on GP for an entire year between June 2019 and June 2020. I assume a lot of people played it during that time (like I did actually, although I didn't find it that good). If you buy it on Xbox it's really because you want to play the re-release.

I could also say that UK + physical is less than 4% of the global market but everybody knows that already.

It was also on PS Now:

Chukhopops

It was also on PS Now:

I’m not sure the impact of both can be really compared in terms of people playing it. If it had been on PS+ I’d agree with you though.

Although interestingly it was added to PSNow right when the GP deal ended (so it’s more recent) and only for six months.

GHG

Gold Member
I’m not sure the impact of both can be really compared in terms of people playing it. If it had been on PS+ I’d agree with you though.

Although interestingly it was added to PSNow right when the GP deal ended (so it’s more recent) and only for six months.

Generally these games bounce around from subscription service to subscription service. It was also part of humble choice recently.

If you see a 3rd party game on a subscription service you can bet your bottom dollar it will end up on another one at done point. Some of these publishers are whores.

The general point is that the game has been available for cheaper than the price of a direct purchase on all platforms now, it's past presence on a particular service doesn't necessarily correlate with a potential future lack of sales on that platform, especially when the game is essentially being rereleased with new features.

With the exception of it's presence on PC subscriptions, the fact that it's previously been available on these subscription services doesn't result in a permanent place in people's libraries. Therefore the only way for someone who doesn't already own the game on PS5 or Xbox Series consoles to experience the new update is via a purchase of some sort.

It's getting to the point now where we are frequently seeing similar sales splits, even with games that have never been present on any subscription services. The "gamepass" excuse is not always valid, especially not here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom