• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK weekly physical sales: 77% of sales of Metro Exodus Complete Edition were on PS5

tmlDan

That isn't the correct data. As of now, digital to physical is like 80/20, and it will grow more in the future.

There are other factors, such as sales. While physical has used sales.

But the problem right now, is the game is past its prime sales. So only few individuals are interested in now.

(Need to sleep now, sorry if I dont answer you).
Didn't this information just come out last year that is closer to 50/50?

I am sure during the pandemic digital increased but i could see it become more stable and be closer to 60/40 once everything opens up and physical sale enthusiasts come back out.

Last edited:

yazenov

Phil never said anything about game pass subs buying more physical games. I don't think Microsoft would even use those metrics because as far as I'm aware there's no proof they can point to that a disc inserted in the console was purchased uniquely. It could've been gifted, stolen, bought used, bought new, rented, etc. They are likely tracking the "GamePass subs are buying x more" metrics using their own storefront's digital sales.

Maybe there's a unique serial encoded in each disc that they can check off once some console reads it if the console is online, but even then that's not definitive unlike a digital store sale. Doesn't make sense to use it.

Are you still believing his lies that Game pass increases games sales?

Guess what, publishers have access to sales data and Gamepass numbers. If Game pass increases games sales then all games will launch on the service day one.

Ask yourself this question instead of repeating Phil's PR bullshit; why aren't more 3rd party games launching on Gamepass day one? The glorified rental service has been around since the Xbox one days and it hasn't moved a needle in terms of software and hardware sales for MS.

modiz

I don't know when we all can agree that this is again physical only. I swear, people intentionally ignore that.

Renozokii

This video seems relevant to the conversation. Pachter lets slide some info only he would have access to as an analyst and it's not looking good for physical game sales on xbox. Not good at all.

Damn man thanks for the clip. Guy gets shit on but that was so many simple points I hadn’t even thought of.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
If I only owned a PS5 and never had a Xbox with GP I more than likely would have gone and bought this game. But I do have GP and a Xbox and played it in the past so I wasn't interested to go out and buy this game when I've got lots of games to try/play on GP. And MS devs must have known it would have this effect on people that unless its a blockbuster game that isn't going to release on GP day one it will certainly effect sales.

Chukhopops

Metro Exodus was also available on PS Now up until November 2020 yet it still sold well on PS5.
Again, you can’t compare the impact of PSNow (which was at <3 million last year) and GP (which was at 15 million). You can’t compare the way the two services are integrated in their respective platform either.

Those UK numbers threads are just wank material honestly between the low ratio of physical to digital and the UK’s market size. Which is fine I guess but don’t read too much into it.

Three

Again, you can’t compare the impact of PSNow (which was at <3 million last year) and GP (which was at 15 million). You can’t compare the way the two services are integrated in their respective platform either.

Those UK numbers threads are just wank material honestly between the low ratio of physical to digital and the UK’s market size. Which is fine I guess but don’t read too much into it.
In what way are they integrated differently in their respective platforms?
If you are saying MS are really marketing gamepass and that is lowering game sales in comparison then I agree.

The data threads are not wank because digital would be the same ratio but higher numbers. You are reading too much into it because these splits exist even with games not on gamepass like RE8 and they would be similar with digital.

A lot of people here have not decided what their actual point is. Are they denying that the split exists due to digital which has shown to be equal on the platforms, are they saying gamepass does or doesn't decrease game sales? You can't just call data wank though.

If I only owned a PS5 and never had a Xbox with GP I more than likely would have gone and bought this game. But I do have GP and a Xbox and played it in the past so I wasn't interested to go out and buy this game when I've got lots of games to try/play on GP. And MS devs must have known it would have this effect on people that unless its a blockbuster game that isn't going to release on GP day one it will certainly effect sales.
The way forward for many third party devs is releasing physical copies for Playstation and putting the game on Gamepass. Everyone wins in this scenario, the dev sells games on Playstation (very heavy lifting) and gets a guaranteed paycheck from Microsoft and us Gamepass boys can enjoy their games for a small fee and build hype for it if it's good. Win-win-win.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Given Sony's attempt to shut down digital stores earlier this year it would be foolish for anyone buying into the PS ecosystem to not go physical.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Given Sony's attempt to shut down digital stores earlier this year it would be foolish for anyone buying into the PS ecosystem to not go physical.
PS3 and PSVita stores and you would still have been able to re download what you bought. What is the reason to throw down this kind of F.U.D.?

So, first the usual PS5 is selling more so expected then sales do not matter… followed by the Store Closures “Concern”?

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
PS3 and PSVita stores and you would still have been able to re download what you bought. What is the reason to throw down this kind of F.U.D.?

So, first the usual PS5 is selling more so expected then sales do not matter… followed by the Store Closures “Concern”?
Because it's true? I didn't say sales don't matter, you're projecting. PS5 hardware and software are both selling incredibly well The topic is about physical sales and I made a comment relating to physical sales. I'm going physical only with Sony because of events earlier this year, I bet many others are too.

Three

Because it's true? I didn't say sales don't matter, you're projecting. PS5 hardware and software are both selling incredibly well The topic is about physical sales and I made a comment relating to physical sales. I'm going physical only with Sony because of events earlier this year, I bet many others are too.
You being an xbox fan/user why would you even buy Metro Exodus on PS5? You are clearly not what is causing these higher sales on PS5 even if you reacted this way to your 'concern'.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't know when we all can agree that this is again physical only. I swear, people intentionally ignore that.
Everybody agrees and understands that this is physical only. It is also in the title.

But having 'physical only' doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, mostly because it applies to both platforms, and the ratio will scale proportionately. So in the end it won't matter if it is physical only or if it is physical + digital and it won't affect the sales split.

Helghan

whats the biggest 3rd party game to launch on gamepass? people made a big deal about outriders and mlb but i wouldnt call those big games. you get alot of indies launching on gamepass though. of course microsoft could change this but its seems to me it would really expensive and microsoft choose not to do it. its just easier for sony because they have the biggest platform in the world. 3rd party's want the biggest possible audience.
At launch? Well Outriders. You might not find that a big deal, but a lot of people do. 3.5 million players in the first month is a lot. So I would call it a big game.

In the future, we will see STALKER2, Contraband and back4blood on it. If you are also seeing this as titles that aren't big enough then I don't know what you expect. The next GTA/COD/FIFA?
Thats great for GAAS, not great for single player games

What revenue are RE8 and Metro meant to make from DLC? In fact it's just encouraging the return of microtransactions to SP games
How's that? There are a lot of SP games with DLC'S. Put the original game on GP for which Microsoft pays you, and if it's a good game the user will buy the DLC and maybe even the game once it's not on GP anymore.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Xbox and game pass is entirely digitally focused, thus Xbox gamers will be much more likely to only buy digital copies.
Assumptions. We don't have any such data that validates that the digital sales ratio is higher on one platform vs. the other.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

You might, but I doubt many people are. PS3 PSN Store was going to close but you would still be able to download your own games meaning your library was not at risk.

Now you are trying to present a picture where customers are en masse buying physical editions because of fear their content must be at risk because of an even that was not putting their content at risk. F.U.D.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
You being an xbox fan/user why would you even buy Metro Exodus on PS5? You are clearly not what is causing these higher sales on PS5 even if you reacted this way to your 'concern'.

Wasn't the topic about high proportion of physical sales? It wasn't an Xbox Vs PlayStation topic?

I fail to see the logic in your questioning...

PS5 has high physical sales.

I make comment relating to high physical sales without mentioning any other consoles. I do mention a real event which actually happened this year and was only reversed because of the mass hysteria around it.

You then presume to know everything about my playing and purchasing habits.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You might, but I doubt many people are. PS3 PSN Store was going to close but you would still be able to download your own games meaning your library was not at risk.

Now you are trying to present a picture where customers are en masse buying physical editions because of fear their content must be at risk because of an even that was not putting their content at risk. F.U.D.
Yeah, PS digital sales are around 70% now if I recall correctly. That means the majority of gamers aren't falling for this.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I do mention a real event which actually happened this year
You did try to raise “Concern” / throw some F.UD. around by misreporting a real event omitting details in a way that would fit your narrative.

The event you presented would have not removed your ability to download the content you already purchased thus it is quite irrelevant to the discussion, but props for trying.

Last edited:

Three

Wasn't the topic about high proportion of physical sales? It wasn't an Xbox Vs PlayStation topic?

I fail to see the logic in your questioning...

PS5 has high physical sales.

I make comment relating to high physical sales without mentioning any other consoles. I do mention a real event which actually happened this year and was only reversed because of the mass hysteria around it.

You then presume to know everything about my playing and purchasing habits.
Because you used yourself as an anecdote when you wouldn't even apply anyway it seems. Do you not game on an xbox? Yes or no. I've run into you before several times on comparison threads where you always post that one liner, "Another clear win for xbox" or whatever. If you do this but was going to buy on PS5 but your main concern is actually the PS3 store, ok.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

In what way are they integrated differently in their respective platforms?
If you are saying MS are really marketing gamepass and that is lowering game sales in comparison then I agree.

The data threads are not wank because digital would be the same ratio but higher numbers. You are reading too much into it because these splits exist even with games not on gamepass like RE8 and they would be similar with digital.

A lot of people here have not decided what their actual point is. Are they denying that the split exists due to digital which has shown to be equal on the platforms, are they saying gamepass does or doesn't decrease game sales? You can't just call data wank though.
Let’s do some quick math:
- GTA V sold 20 million copies last year worldwide on all platforms, let’s assume it still sells at this pace;
- UK is between 8 and 10% of the global market depending on which data you take on Google;
- Assuming a very generous 70/30 for Console/PC ratio in GTA sales, the weekly sales of GTA V last week were:

20,000,000 * 0.7 * 0.1 * (1/52) = 26,923

Let’s take a ratio of 40/60 for physical/digital, although I think an overwhelming majority of sales are digital for GTA. That’s 10,769 physical copies sold.

Métro is in position 17 so let’s assume a 5% gap between each position, that puts Metro at a total of 7,521 physical copies sold. Out of which 5,791 and 1,730 were XSX.

At 35 gbp a copy and 70% dev cut that’s a revenue difference of less than 100,000 GBP. And that’s with taking the most generous numbers each time, I would bet the actual numbers are way below that.

It’s just absolute wank material for the same doomposters to doompost each week.

Last edited:

Three

I'd imagine publishers are starting to think about negotiating with Sony for timed exclusivity and after that period releasing it on GP. Seems like the best course of action if games are not selling at release in Xbox.
Unfortunately publishers aren't thinking like this. They are changing their games to be f2p type games with monetisation then releasing on gamepass. Sony can negotiate favourably for single player games but for games designed around mtx and GaaS there is little difference.

Three

Métro is in position 17 so let’s assume a 5% gap between each position, that puts Metro at a total of 7,521 physical copies sold. Out of which 5,791 and 1,730 were XSX.

At 35 gbp a copy and 70% dev cut that’s a revenue difference of less than 100,000 GBP. And that’s with taking the most generous numbers each time, I would bet the actual numbers are way below that.

It’s just absolute wank material for the same doomposters to doompost each week.
If you are saying Metro Exodus is not a huge seller ok nobody is arguing against that. Same would be said for Resident Evil 8 though.

I assume that 5,791 is meant to say PS5?
Now show how if equally ~70% of sales on PS5 and XSX are digital how this would translate to anything other than stating sales for ME are low?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
- GTA V sold 20 million copies last year worldwide on all platforms, let’s assume it still sells at this pace;
- UK is between 8 and 10% of the global market depending on which data you take on Google;
- Assuming a very generous 70/30 for Console/PC ratio in GTA sales, the weekly sales of GTA V last week were:

Let’s take a ratio of 40/60 for physical/digital, although I think an overwhelming majority of sales are digital for GTA. That’s 10,769 physical copies sold.

Before responding, let me say that I'm not spreading the doom-and-gloom theories. Both companies are doing great in their own areas and I wish them all the success so they continue to make great games for us, but ... these sales figures do matter in the grand scheme of things.

Metro Exodus is a small game; it's even smaller now considering this is a re-release. But these sales splits are interesting and very viable for whatever company that's in the lead.

For example, let's say GTA VI releases. It's not far-fetched to think that it will sell 50 million copies in its first year. Rockstar games do not release on PC until at least a year. So it will be just between Xbox and PS for sales, at least until then.

A 75/25 worldwide sales split -- based on the available sample size -- would mean 37.5 million copies on PlayStation and 12.5 million copies on Xbox. At the average price of $60 (considering some at discount and others at full $70 price), that'd be a $675 million platform cut for Sony and $225 million for Xbox. 300% more.

More importantly, though, more sales on one platform means more MTX on that platform. Means more revenue for that platform. GTA 5 earned $5 billion years ago. GTA 6 will likely earn more than that. If 75% of that revenue is going to only one platform, then that's a massive success for that platform. Then it applies to every single game out there, and it all starts to add up.

For example, despite its popularity on mobile devices, Fortnite earns more revenue on PlayStation than it does on any other platform. That's the main revenue source of these platform holders in today's market.

Unfortunately publishers aren't thinking like this. They are changing their games to be f2p type games with monetisation then releasing on gamepass. Sony can negotiate favourably for single player games but for games designed around mtx and GaaS there is little difference.
Why would f2p games need to be on Gamepass? It is FREE!
Third parties would never allow their F2P games be locked behind a subscription willingly. Didn't MS finally drop their Gold requirement for F2P games this year?

F2P games need to be on as many systems as possible to succeed, and that means no exclusivity. Which means Sony can't get exclusivity but Xbox can't lock it behind Gamepass either. It only makes sense to release on Gamepass if it actually isn't free.

Alex Scott

I swear i heard this from Gameindusty.bz or Christopher Dring but i forgot where. Resident evil Village sold roughly 50% and more on PlayStation, 25% on pc and rest is on Xbox. I believe this included digital as well. Sorry i just don't have the source so i will try to find it.

Last edited:
I'd imagine publishers are starting to think about negotiating with Sony for timed exclusivity and after that period releasing it on GP. Seems like the best course of action if games are not selling at release in Xbox.
Nothing stops Microsoft from outbidding Sony and putting the game on GP day one. Sony allegedly tried to get timed exclusivity for Starfield and got absolutely bitchslapped. We'll see how it goes in the future.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Before responding, let me say that I'm not spreading the doom-and-gloom theories. Both companies are doing great in their own areas and I wish them all the success so they continue to make great games for us, but ... these sales figures do matter in the grand scheme of things.

Metro Exodus is a small game; it's even smaller now considering this is a re-release. But these sales splits are interesting and very viable for whatever company that's in the lead.

For example, let's say GTA VI releases. It's not far-fetched to think that it will sell 50 million copies in its first year. Rockstar games do not release on PC until at least a year. So it will be just between Xbox and PS for sales, at least until then.

A 75/25 worldwide sales split -- based on the available sample size -- would mean 37.5 million copies on PlayStation and 12.5 million copies on Xbox. At the average price of $60 (considering some at discount and others at full $70 price), that'd be a $675 million platform cut for Sony and $225 million for Xbox. 300% more.

More importantly, though, more sales on one platform means more MTX on that platform. Means more revenue for that platform. GTA 5 earned $5 billion years ago. GTA 6 will likely earn more than that. If 75% of that revenue is going to only one platform, then that's a massive success for that platform. Then it applies to every single game out there, and it all starts to add up.

For example, despite its popularity on mobile devices, Fortnite earns more revenue on PlayStation than it does on any other platform. That's the main revenue source of these platform holders in today's market.
For fortnite, its only on epic, which effects the pc market.

Most pc market are steam users, which explains why ps4 had a higher player, considering the big publishers have their own store.

Battlefield 2042 will the change for that, since its coming day1 on steam.

I will agree with you on the rest. And that is because of ps4 major players. Ps4 had somewhat 114m consoles sold, while xbox sold around 50m. From that ratio, its easy to say its 2.1. Then there is the taste to account for. Not every person on these hardware have the same to taste, which effects the data.

Overall, Playstation would have higher numbers than xbox, because it sold more console than xbox, and that contributes its sale of games. Bigger number player equal bigger sales.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes, it is only UK (we seriously need bigger sample) but I only know this will distort console gaming industry in a ways I can’t even imagine right now. Sony boys continue buying games like they used to, Xbots stopped, waiting for them on GP.
'Xbots'

Man it doesnt get more childish than that.

Either way, people on Xbox could be buying more digitally compared to PS5 owners.

Three

Why would f2p games need to be on Gamepass? It is FREE!
Third parties would never allow their F2P games be locked behind a subscription willingly. Didn't MS finally drop their Gold requirement for F2P games this year?

F2P games need to be on as many systems as possible to succeed, and that means no exclusivity. Which means Sony can't get exclusivity but Xbox can't lock it behind Gamepass either. It only makes sense to release on Gamepass if it actually isn't free.
F2P type games. Ones that rely heavily on mtx as their main source of revenue. Publishers still sell games even when they have f2p like mechanics. It being on gamepass may even generate more buzz and subscription revenue around the game than it just being f2p.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Didn't this information just come out last year that is closer to 50/50?

I am sure during the pandemic digital increased but i could see it become more stable and be closer to 60/40 once everything opens up and physical sale enthusiasts come back out.

With covid being on the rise in 2020, physical sales have suffered quite alot, and the digital sales bloomed.my 80/20 is coming from the physical stores being closed during the end half of 2020.

Inxes

Nothing stops Microsoft from outbidding Sony and putting the game on GP day one. Sony allegedly tried to get timed exclusivity for Starfield and got absolutely bitchslapped. We'll see how it goes in the future.
I mean Microsoft would have to outbid both Sony and the amount of sales the game gets them on PS5. It´s Microsoft so I count on them doing it for a few games, but for a lot of them? That´s just an insane amount of money for something so risky.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes, it is only UK (we seriously need bigger sample) but I only know this will distort console gaming industry in a ways I can’t even imagine right now. Sony boys continue buying games like they used to, Xbots stopped, waiting for them on GP.
Please don't use terms like these. It only ignites the console war that only clouds genuine arguments and valid points, and many also consider terms like Xbots and Sony Ponies disrespectful. We're all humans in the end. We can disagree but should always try to be respectful of each other.

Spidey Fan

Banned

You also need to account the ratio between the hardwares. As of now, it's 2.5 /1 between x1 and ps4. Ps4 sold around 114m and x1 sold 50m. That is 2.18x difference.

77% of uk sales would be 38.5%, compared to the 23% xbox. Now you have a margin of 1.67x sales over xbox. Which isn't alot. But when you put ps4 number advantage, its becomes 3x over xbox, which is alot.

Fortnite for example did 51% sales on ps4. You divide that by the number advantage and you get 25.5% sales. Around the same sales as xbox without number advantage.

As long as that lead exist, Playstation would have higher sales.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony broke record profits on PlayStation while selling ps5 at a loss, try again.
This is a very important point that is easy to ignore, and many do ignore this.

This was the first time PlayStation ever recorded a net profit during a console launch year. Even if we assume a meager $50 loss per unit sold (it would be higher than that, I reckon), we are selling at roughly half a billion dollar in net loss. Remove that (just breakeven that Sony has achieved now), and we are looking at an even bigger cut.

If Horizon Forbidden West does manage to release this year, and there is a big Call of Duty game as well, I'm expecting Sony to easily cross $4 or $4.5 billion in profit this year.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Yeah, PS digital sales are around 70% now if I recall correctly. That means the majority of gamers aren't falling for this.
Covid also boosted those sales. We might not like it, but digital is going to overtake physical in 3-5 years. Especially, with physicals having disadvantage of being produced in bulk numbers, marketing deals, and having to eat all those costs. While digital, its just a key that you are selling it, which makes it easier to make money of, and not lose all those money from producing physical copies (factories, hiring people to print those disc's, shipping).

I mean Microsoft would have to outbid both Sony and the amount of sales the game gets them on PS5. It´s Microsoft so I count on them doing it for a few games, but for a lot of them? That´s just an insane amount of money for something so risky.
Microsoft doesn't need to pay for exclusivity. Just put the game day 1 on Gamepass, and let the game sell on Playstation. Would be a win for all parties. And it wouldn't be as expensive as actual exclusivity.

Top Bottom