• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK weekly physical sales: 77% of sales of Metro Exodus Complete Edition were on PS5

mckmas8808

Banned
Total number of online players and concurrent players are a good metric. Obviously you won't be able to compare sales vs subscriptions. What you will be able to do though is see a decline in sales and an increase in subscriptions, that will give you a good picture. At the end of the day you won't be able to compare 1:1 which is what you want. That era is over until Sony releases a subscription service. If you want you can compare gamepass with PS Now but that will be unfair to Sony.

If people are going to say that Xbox will over take Sony, then YES it is what I want. There needs to be some metrics that we point to that informs us of our opinions. Otherwise, we'll be a bunch of jackals just yelling at each other. And by the way.......Sony has PS+ and that service has almost 50 million subs.

When?

edit: Googling I'm finding a single quarter loss in 2012.. but can't find anything else, there are no yearly losses as far as I can tell
Yeah it was around that time. Netflix is a really bad comparison though. I would compare it to Spotify but that's bad too. The thing is there's nothing to compare gamepass with, it's the first attempt of this magnitude and we'll see how it goes.

What I'm sure though is that nobody could have done it besides Microsoft right now. Sony and Nintendo don't have the cash and Apple, Google and Amazon lack interest.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah it was around that time. Netflix is a really bad comparison though. I would compare it to Spotify but that's bad too. The thing is there's nothing to compare gamepass with, it's the first attempt of this magnitude and we'll see how it goes.

What I'm sure though is that nobody could have done it besides Microsoft right now. Sony and Nintendo don't have the cash and Apple, Google and Amazon lack interest.
Yeah I totally agree; I always point that out.. the games industry is not much like the music/film industry at all.. nor is the business model for GamePass the same. Netflix doesn't sell you movies, or sell you add-ons to movies.. Netflix doesn't have a bunch of content not in their streaming plan for sale, on a device you will probably buy to use it... Netflix doesn't... sell devices... etc.,etc.etc. The way people consume games is also vastly different, which might be a reason game sub services never grow that far too though.

So comparisons to Netflix are dumb; but it's also funny how wrong people can be about their profits. They haven't posted a yearly loss since the early 2000s.. there are people on this forum that insist they've NEVER MADE A PROFIT lol

Last edited:
Yeah I totally agree; I always point that out.. the games industry is not much like the music/film industry at all.. nor is the business model for GamePass the same. Netflix doesn't sell you movies, or sell you add-ons to movies.. Netflix doesn't have a bunch of content not in their streaming plan for sale, on a device you will probably buy to use it... Netflix doesn't... sell devices... etc.,etc.etc. The way people consume games is also vastly different, which might be a reason game sub services never grow that far too though.

So comparisons to Netflix are dumb; but it's also funny how wrong people can be about their profits. They haven't posted a yearly loss since the early 2000s.. there are people on this forum that insist they've NEVER MADE A PROFIT lol
Yeah they spent half their revenue in content in exchange for more subscribers. They don't care about much profit though because for a company this big the profits are really small.

mckmas8808

Banned

And ability.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah they spent half their revenue in content in exchange for more subscribers. They don't care about much profit though because for a company this big the profits are really small.
They have been overspending compared to their subscriber count.. that's the comparison to GamePass that is valid.... but Netflix is still doing it at a profit. People love to bring Netflix up as some example of why the model fails (ignoring that there's a lot more to Xbox/GamePass than the Netflix model), but the Netflix model is a success.. and could continue to see even greater success.

There are a couple of valid comparisons w/ Netflix:

1) Overspending compared to their CURRENT subscriber count (or at least Netflix was in the past, hard to say now.. with their insane revenue)
2) Currently expanding their 1st party output

#2 has to do with #1; the more you expand 1st party.. the better control you have over the costs behind your service, you make more money off of a 1st party investment, you aren't bound to what 3rd parties are willing to sell you, etc.

But for #1, the idea is that eventually you can stop growing your spend, as your subscriber count catches up.. and you don't need to increase that spend to grow subs.. as there quite literally are billions of people you can reach.

Now will MS be as successful as Netflix in sub count? I doubt it.. but we'll see.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Total number of online players and concurrent players are a good metric. Obviously you won't be able to compare sales vs subscriptions. What you will be able to do though is see a decline in sales and an increase in subscriptions, that will give you a good picture. At the end of the day you won't be able to compare 1:1 which is what you want. That era is over until Sony releases a subscription service. If you want you can compare gamepass with PS Now but that will be unfair to Sony.

When sales are removed the only metric that matters is revenue. Having more or less players doesn’t mean anything, what matters is how much money those players are spending.

Why are you making it so hard?

When sales are removed the only metric that matters is revenue. Having more or less players doesn’t mean anything, what matters is how much money those players are spending.

Why are you making it so hard?
Not really, whats the poing of having a lot of revenue if you don't have any profit? That would mean the busness model is a failure even if you have 100 million subscribers.

That's not really true. Your game/brand increases in value the more players you have, regardless of revenue.

Would be nice if you had some facts to back up your opinion, because fact is that for the quarter ending Jun 30 last year, digital represented 74% of sales. This number increased to 79% in Q4. Playstation of course.

I'm guessing you'll just keep peddling bs though.
If you did even a modicum of research you would have come to the realization that digital revenue represents digital purchases of anything on the platform. Movies, music, applications, subscriptions, microtransactions, DLC etc. Literally anything sold on the platform. Not just games...

Come better prepared next time.

You're making a lot of assumptions though.

What is the Xbox digital sales ratio as compared to PlayStation? Because you're making it sound like Xbox has a significantly higher digital sales ratio than its competitors. I'm assuming you have the numbers.

naLdRhC.png

I asked how it is more geared towards digital and frankly you didn't give me a good answer. I mean PS+ is geared towards digital distribution, PS Now is geared towards digital distribution. Quick resume only supporting digital seems like a dumb limitation (is it really like that?) considering the game is installed even when you buy physical.

Data doesn't support what you are saying because percentages provided by third party and Sony align whereas if xbox was significantly more digital it would skew the third party data.
I gave you an extremely satisfactory answer, you not liking said answer is neither here nor there.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you did even a modicum of research you would have come to the realization that digital revenue represents digital purchases of anything on the platform. Movies, music, applications, subscriptions, microtransactions, DLC etc. Literally anything sold on the platform. Not just games...

naLdRhC.png

Is that Daniel Ahmad? AKA ZhugeEX, is that a post from January 2019 I see? Man you really rolling back the years. Let’s fast forward to 2020:

Can I trust you with the math? Honestly it feels like I can’t, so I’ll just write it for you; out of 91 million software sales, 74% were digital.

Seems to me like your “modicum of research” amounted to the same as always, a bunch of nonsense.

“Come better prepared” gosh, how do you do it? It’s just so... You keep doing you I guess.

Last edited:

Three

naLdRhC.png

I gave you an extremely satisfactory answer, ou not liking said answer is neither here nor there.
If you think you did ok but I see the same things regarding being geared to digital distribution on the other side. You posted a zhuge post from the end of 2018, On the verge of the release of the Xbox One S AD. This was pre pandemic and talking about the US only, it's NPD where they started including digital. The landscape is completely different now and it's not related to the big UK split where it is more about install base and gamepass which became the focus for xbox afterwards and has more subscribers than 2018.
To say that's because xbox users are buying digital is to completely ignore what is happening. As I said there are numbers from late 2020 and early 2021 where third party and PS digital splits align meaning either digital splits between the platforms align or that the xbox numbers are low enough to not skew the third party split.

Last edited:
I could not even find a copy of Metro Exodus for PS5 anywhere here in Canada.

EB Games got one copy and it was for a pre-order. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us etc. did not even carry it.

Amazon Canada finally put it up yesterday but at a marked up price. Eventually they fixed the price and I grabbed a copy. It arrives on Monday.

If non AAA game releases are going to be this difficult to find physically I am not looking forward to this generation at all as a physical only buyer (unless the game is digital only of course).

What a painful launch.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

naLdRhC.png

Those aren't numbers, my friend. Also, that's like 3-year old data. As Thirty7ven Thirty7ven pointed out that PS digital downloads has increased by 167% YoY since then, and even that was one year ago.

Is that Daniel Ahmad? AKA ZhugeEX, is that a post from January 2019 I see? Man you really rolling back the years. Let’s fast forward to 2020:

Can I trust you with the math? Honestly it feels like I can’t, so I’ll just write it for you; out of 91 million software sales, 74% were digital.

Seems to me like your “modicum of research” amounted to the same as always, a bunch of nonsense.

“Come better prepared” gosh, how do you do it? It’s just so... You keep doing you I guess.

The last data that we got in February 2021 shows that PS4 has the largest download share of all platforms (54%), PC is second (27%), and the rest would be for Xbox and other platforms. Even if we allocate everything to Xbox (23%) and 0% to Nintendo, the ratio would be 2.34 in favor of PlayStation.

If we assume a 114m and 50m market share for PlayStation and Xbox consoles, it is a ratio of 2.28.

So PS:Xbox digital downloads ratio (2.34) would still be higher than PS:Xbox console marketshare (2.28).

So your assumption that Xbox is more digital-centric and, therefore, encourages more digital downloads than PlayStation is factually incorrect.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I'm wondering how that works?

For example.

If I had Gamepass I would play the games on it. Now I wouldn't buy those games because they are included with the subscription. The only way that I would is of they were taken off Gamepass. In that case I would buy them to continue playing them.

DLCs and MTX I completely understand though even though usually avoid MTXs.
thats the idea behind it but yea

No, but what's your point? If they were interested in the game in 2020 (where the sub numbers for gamepass were lower anyway ) why would they spend £35 on the game now when they could have spent £37 for a year of PS Now and played the game. That's the usual take, correct?

Are you saying gamepass reduces game sales? Agreed.
Are you saying PS users didn't have a method to play the old version of the game on a subscription?
What are you trying to say exactly?
I am saying that almost no one is on PS Now so it wouldn't potentially affect sales like a game on Game pass seeing how it has so many more people. Couple that with the fact the game is pretty old AND this is physical sales only so we wouldn't even know how this sold digitally on Xbox. These comparisons are useless.

Three

I am saying that almost no one is on PS Now so it wouldn't potentially affect sales like a game on Game pass seeing how it has so many more people. Couple that with the fact the game is pretty old AND this is physical sales only so we wouldn't even know how this sold digitally on Xbox. These comparisons are useless.
So gamepass reduces game sales. You agree. Physical and digital scale proportionally between platforms so we can guess pretty well.

Resident Evil Village isn't old and the game wasn't on gamepass

RE8 sales
49% of its sales were on PS5, 31% on PS4 and 20% on Xbox.

80% of sales on Playstation.

This has nothing to do with digital or it being on gamepass in the past or not. It's the fact that game sales on xbox have dwindled in the UK because of low install base and gamepass meaning less sales in general regardless of the fact if it was on gamepass or not.

DavidGzz

Does any of this matter if devs are happy to put their games on Game Pass and MS sees it worth it to keep it going while improving on it monthly? If devs would rather take their chances selling more of a game by skipping Game Pass, they can. It must be worth it to them. If MS ends Game Pass because they don't see it as being profitable now and/or in the future, we don't lose anything. All we can do is wait and see. In the mean time, I'll be taking advantage of it. There are more PS5 and PS4's out there and the game is on Game Pass so not sure how the sale split is shocking.

Three

In the mean time, I'll be taking advantage of it. There are more PS5 and PS4's out there and the game is on Game Pass so not sure how the sale split is shocking.
The game isn't on gamepass. Not the old version or the new Enhanced Edition here. The old version was on Gamepass and PS Now last year. It's not on either anymore.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

So gamepass reduces game sales. You agree. Physical and digital scale proportionally between platforms so we can guess pretty well.

RE8 sales

This has nothing to do with digital or it being on gamepass in the past or not. It's the fact that game sales on xbox have dwindled in the UK because of low install base and gamepass meaning less sales in general regardless of the fact if it was on gamepass or not.

There are three important points to consider here:
  1. Games that haven't been on Gamepass have shown a similar trend: Resident Evil (80% on PS and 20% on Xbox), Hitman 3 (75% on PS and 25% on Xbox), Nier Replicant (89% on PS and 11 on Xbox). So the fact that Metro Exodus was on Gamepass and PS Now isn't having any effect, especially on physical sales.
  2. And it's physical only, but that's for both consoles. Unless there is any evidence that Xbox has a higher digital sales ratio than PlayStation, physical-only sales won't have any effect whatsoever. And the data we have shows that PlayStation has actually a higher digital sales ratio than Xbox.
  3. It's UK data, and UK is one of the bigger markets for Xbox. In UK, the ratio of PlayStation vs. Xbox is usually 3:1. In other parts of the world (Germany, Spain, Japan, etc.), the ratio is up to 10:1. So these numbers will likely have an even bigger difference in other markets.
Bottom line: these comparisons are not useless.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Does any of this matter if devs are happy to put their games on Game Pass and MS sees it worth it to keep it going while improving on it monthly? If devs would rather take their chances selling more of a game by skipping Game Pass, they can. It must be worth it to them. If MS ends Game Pass because they don't see it as being profitable now and/or in the future, we don't lose anything. All we can do is wait and see. In the mean time, I'll be taking advantage of it. There are more PS5 and PS4's out there and the game is on Game Pass so not sure how the sale split is shocking.
FYI -- It is not.

DavidGzz

So is it the base version? Or it's not on there any longer? Either way, those who wanted to play it probably did when it was on there. Is the DLC worth a full $60 to them?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So is it the base version? Or it's not on there any longer? Either way, those who wanted to play it probably did when it was on there. Is the DLC worth a full $60 to them?
Neither the last-gen version nor the current-gen version is available on either Gamepass or PS Now.

Last-gen versions were available at different times on both services, but they left both services a while ago. It's not a full $60 if I recall correctly. Owners of the copies will get a free current-gen upgrade. For first-time owners, it is available on sale right now on PSN. And I think the full price is now $40 on digital stores.

But that or the discount does not have any effect on anything, because this data is for physical copies only.

Sweep14

Microsoft doesn't need to pay for exclusivity. Just put the game day 1 on Gamepass, and let the game sell on Playstation. Would be a win for all parties. And it wouldn't be as expensive as actual exclusivity.
If I was a 3rd party with a highly anticipated game and MS wants it D1 on gamepass, I would not hesitate to ask them a fortune (and I mean a real fortune) to comply to their request...😈

dcmk7

Banned
There are three important points to consider here:
  1. Games that haven't been on Gamepass have shown a similar trend: Resident Evil (80% on PS and 20% on Xbox), Hitman 3 (75% on PS and 25% on Xbox), Nier Replicant (89% on PS and 11 on Xbox). So the fact that Metro Exodus was on Gamepass and PS Now isn't having any effect, especially on physical sales.
  2. And it's physical only, but that's for both consoles. Unless there is any evidence that Xbox has a higher digital sales ratio than PlayStation, physical-only sales won't have any effect whatsoever. And the data we have shows that PlayStation has actually a higher digital sales ratio than Xbox.
  3. It's UK data, and UK is one of the bigger markets for Xbox. In UK, the ratio of PlayStation vs. Xbox is usually 3:1. In other parts of the world (Germany, Spain, Japan, etc.), the ratio is up to 10:1. So these numbers will likely have an even bigger difference in other markets.
Bottom line: these comparisons are not useless.

That market is certainly a big enough sample size to be able draw conclusions on.

Not sure how much GP would have affected this title in particular.

But it does seem to be following the same pattern as those other titles.

Last edited:

Alex Scott

So hardware isn't profitable, Gamepass isn't profitable, Xbox doesn't sell any physical games... so how is the entire division still profitable? You think they're only living off XBL? I mean it's possible but kinda unlikely.
For 2020 Xbox division didn't make that much money and it might have lost money.

Last edited:
For 2020 Xbox division didn't make that much money and it might have lost money.

Those are 2019 numbers, and yeah it's impossible to exactly tell how profitable Xbox was that year because we don't know how high the hardware loss was. Since Xbox is selling way less hardware compared to Playstation though, I'd assume it's less than the $1.7b in losses Sony posted, so Xbox was likely overall still profitable.

oagboghi2

Lol, you're out of your fucking mind. Nobody is going to pay 60, not even 20 for the service.

You actually believe people spend more than six hundred dollars a year for videogames?

Most people buy only 2 or 3 games a year and they don't even buy them full price.
Clearly you don’t know fanboys
To be fair, price has become a focal point this generation on its own. Sony raised their game prices by 25% in Australia; AUD$125.00 games automatically makes folks price conscious. Compounding that is Microsoft's whole "economy of scale" thing via Gamepass, trying to get the barrier of entry down for players. It's hard not to be price conscious in this environment; two Sony games at release or a year of Gamepass isn't something we've ever really had to consider prior to this generation.
what is this based on, because nothing in the market is showing that consumers are wary of these price increases.

Dane

naLdRhC.png

I gave you an extremely satisfactory answer, you not liking said answer is neither here nor there.

It should have been known fact in this place for years that Xbox has always been more into digital because they're the pioneers of massification on that with Live and Games on Demand, years ago a Ubisoft report said that Xbox players spend 25% more on digital than Playstation users. And considering that one of their consoles is a digital only hardware (Xbox Series S) that has seen much more availability than the physical option one (Xbox Series X) unlike PS5DE, should have been the easy answer to why PS5 dominates on physical sales. XSS costing as much as the Xbox One MSRP + being a brand much more associated with digital buying means that they are attracting more and more people who leans on it, many people i've known had their One Fat/S replaced with Series S or are new to it but are used to buying digital games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Metro Exodus was my game of the year 2019, while everyone was talking about the greatness of open world games, battle royale, I liked what metro offered more.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It should have been known fact in this place for years that Xbox has always been more into digital because they're the pioneers of massification on that with Live and Games on Demand, years ago a Ubisoft report said that Xbox players spend 25% more on digital than Playstation users. And considering that one of their consoles is a digital only hardware (Xbox Series S) that has seen much more availability than the physical option one (Xbox Series X) unlike PS5DE, should have been the easy answer to why PS5 dominates on physical sales. XSS costing as much as the Xbox One MSRP + being a brand much more associated with digital buying means that they are attracting more and more people who leans on it, many people i've known had their One Fat/S replaced with Series S or are new to it but are used to buying digital games.
Read some of the earlier posts on this page. There is no data that supports that sentiment. In fact, it is the opposite. PlayStation has a higher digital sales ratio than Xbox.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
There are more PS5 and PS4's out there and the game is on Game Pass so not sure how the sale split is shocking.
It is shocking because according to Phil and his fans, games that went on GP sale more on Xbox. Now these same fans are here downplaying these stats saying it's not selling because it was on GP. So which is it?

I am saying that almost no one is on PS Now so it wouldn't potentially affect sales like a game on Game pass seeing how it has so many more people.
But GP is supposed to increase sales,no? You must be so red right now 🤣 The gymnastics are coming.

DavidGzz

It is shocking because according to Phil and his fans, games that went on GP sale more on Xbox. Now these same fans are here downplaying these stats saying it's not selling because it was on GP. So which is it?

But GP is supposed to increase sales,no? You must be so red right now 🤣 The gymnastics are coming.

Use logic, how does that make sense? The stats show Game Pass subscribers spend more on games not that they buy the games that they can play on Game Pass lmao.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Sony seems hell bent on producing as many consoles as possible while Ms hasn’t really said a peep about console sales or manufacturing them lately. Last we heard from Phil was that things are still going to be tight for awhile, meanwhile Sony is talking 22 million a year.

So my question is, does Sony have sort of secret advantages for manufacturing that ms doesn’t? For example does Sony make certain chips in house that ms doesn’t or just better relations with manufacturing companies due to nature of their business? Obviously the fact Ps5 is a world wide phenomenon doesn’t hurt.

MS strategy seems to be ignore console hardware as much as possible before the Xbox die hards catch on to the plan and go straight for all digitized streaming by bringing gamespass to pc and windows. This has been the goal for awhile now and I wouldn’t be surprised if trouble manufacturing consoles due to shortage of parts accelerated this strategy.

So that leaves me with this question, is the market ready to leave Xbox consoles (except for die hards ordering whatever meager number of series Xs they produce) for the pc, cellphone, and streaming on their television? Honestly MS long term strategy seems like a more competent stadia. The question is did the market reject stadia because it’s just not how people want to play games or did stadia fail because it lacked content?

With Sony going so hard into the tried and true strategy of selling consoles it seems to me like MS is quickly becoming boxed out of the traditional market and is doing everything they can now to brute force this new “play anywhere” initiative but without enough Xbox hardware for consumers to buy. Seeing nadella give a pitch about how MS is all in on gaming while they’re quickly losing ground and potentially about to get blown out of Sony can actually produce 20 million a year is interning to me.

Will MS continue to pour billions into Xbox if they’re boxed out of the traditional market? They certainly have the funds and the ceo seems to be all in. I kind of wonder if that video of him promoting gaming wasn’t for us but for investors to reassure them that this new strategy will work, where stadia and Amazon are failing.

I’d also like to add, what happens to xbox if/when Phil leaves? CEOs in this industry might last a generation or two. Whose the heir apparent for Xbox and what’s their vision? It seems like so much of what MS is trying to due is reliant on Phil Spencer and if the market is willing to accept a stadia 2.0 but with content.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Sony seems hell bent on producing as many consoles as possible while Ms hasn’t really said a peep about console sales or manufacturing them lately. Last we heard from Phil was that things are still going to be tight for awhile, meanwhile Sony is talking 22 million a year.

So my question is, does Sony have sort of secret advantages for manufacturing that ms doesn’t? For example does Sony make certain chips in house that ms doesn’t or just better relations with manufacturing companies due to nature of their business? Obviously the fact Ps5 is a world wide phenomenon doesn’t hurt.

MS strategy seems to be ignore console hardware as much as possible before the Xbox die hards catch on to the plan and go straight for all digitized streaming by bringing gamespass to pc and windows. This has been the goal for awhile now and I wouldn’t be surprised if trouble manufacturing consoles due to shortage of parts accelerated this strategy.

So that leaves me with this question, is the market ready to leave Xbox consoles (except for die hards ordering whatever meager number of series Xs they produce) for the pc, cellphone, and streaming on their television? Honestly MS long term strategy seems like a more competent stadia. The question is did the market reject stadia because it’s just not how people want to play games or did stadia fail because it lacked content?

With Sony going so hard into the tried and true strategy of selling consoles it seems to me like MS is quickly becoming boxed out of the traditional market and is doing everything they can now to brute force this new “play anywhere” initiative but without enough Xbox hardware for consumers to buy. Seeing nadella give a pitch about how MS is all in on gaming while they’re quickly losing ground and potentially about to get blown out of Sony can actually produce 20 million a year is interning to me.

Will MS continue to pour billions into Xbox if they’re boxed out of the traditional market? They certainly have the funds and the ceo seems to be all in. I kind of wonder if that video of him promoting gaming wasn’t for us but for investors to reassure them that this new strategy will work, where stadia and Amazon are failing.

Long term, yes. But short term I believe MS manufacturing was going toward upgrading Xcloud. They believe streaming games is the future. They'll support hardware and discs for as long as we demand it. Similar to how Netflix used to send physical disks out and then went to full streaming.

Kerotan

RE8 sales

If the split for games is 80/20 in the UK in favour of PlayStation it must be 90/10 WW.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Use logic, how does that make sense? The stats show Game Pass subscribers spend more on games not that they buy the games that they can play on Game Pass lmao.
Tell that to your pals. That's what we've been saying all along but they don't use any logic. They are adamant that GP = more sales even if it contradicts every data we have. 'Spend more on games' is totally meaningless data. Unless they buy the PS version?

DarkMage fled the scene and never replied. As usual when we call him out on his BS 🤣

Top Bottom