• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK sales week 12, 2021: Switch softwares domination.

yazenov

It works in both ways.
PS4 version being the only to buy it should have higher sales.
Switch version being one of the others versions to buy should have made it sales lower.
Yeah I believe an exclusive MHW to PS4 and delaying the PC version 1 year later would have pushed the PS4 sales of MHW to above 10 million units.

Woopah

I agree, but if MHW were to be exclusive to PS4 and the PC version delayed for one year later, the total PS4 sales would increase also since people will be forced to buy that version like the Switch.

Same reason why Swich is high for a single platform. If Rise was mult iplatform, The Switch numbers wouldn't be that high. It goes both ways.

It works in both ways.
PS4 version being the only to buy it should have higher sales.
Switch version being one of the others versions to buy should have made it sales lower.
I agree that it would have some impact, but I don't think the existence of the Xbox SKU had a significant negative impact on the PS version.

We're basically talking about people who own both PS4 and Xbox One and chose to buy the Xbox version over the PlayStation one (or had neither, but chose to buy an Xbox to play Monster Hunter rather than a PS4) and I can't imagine that there would be too many people who fall into that category (espeically on a worldwide basis).

Overall I don't think there's any need for concern for Capcom. They expect 9-10 million for the Rise (do you have the exact figure yazenov yazenov ?) and it will easily do that across Switch and PC. I think it will beat their expectations by at least 1 million. Then they'll have Rise G out to make even more money and after that World 2 (plus I would imagine Rise 2 for the next gen Switch in 2027 or something).

Following a multiplatform strategy in investing in PlayStation, Xbox, Switch and PC is going to pay off really well for Capcom and I think a lot of other companies can learn from it.

Edit

Yeah I believe an exclusive MHW to PS4 and delaying the PC version 1 year later would have pushed the PS4 sales of MHW to above 10 million units.

The PC version already came out 7+ months later. I don't think an extra 5 months would have added an extra million

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Imagine thinking monster hunter world ps4 sales would be more than switch rise sales lifetime.

Also, imagine the budget on rise vs world or a world sequel.

Rise will make capcom and Nintendo BANK.

Woopah

Imagine thinking monster hunter world ps4 sales would be more than switch rise sales lifetime.

Also, imagine the budget on rise vs world or a world sequel.

Rise will make capcom and Nintendo BANK.
World PS4 sales ending up higher than Rise Switch sales is a possibility. Its definitely not set in stone that Switch Rise will outsell it worldwide.

yazenov

I agree that it would have some impact, but I don't think the existence of the Xbox SKU had a significant negative impact on the PS version.

We're basically talking about people who own both PS4 and Xbox One and chose to buy the Xbox version over the PlayStation one (or had neither, but chose to buy an Xbox to play Monster Hunter rather than a PS4) and I can't imagine that there would be too many people who fall into that category (espeically on a worldwide basis).

Overall I don't think there's any need for concern for Capcom. They expect 9-10 million for the Rise (do you have the exact figure yazenov yazenov ?) and it will easily do that across Switch and PC. I think it will beat their expectations by at least 1 million. Then they'll have Rise G out to make even more money and after that World 2 (plus I would imagine Rise 2 for the next gen Switch in 2027 or something).

Following a multiplatform strategy in investing in PlayStation, Xbox, Switch and PC is going to pay off really well for Capcom and I think a lot of other companies can learn from it.

Edit

The PC version already came out 7+ months later. I don't think an extra 5 months would have added an extra million

In a recent interview with Nikkei, Capcom president Haruhiro Tsujimoto shared some tidbits about the upcoming Switch title Monster Hunter Rise
we’re expecting this title to sell as well as previous entries like Monster Hunter: World.”

They are expecting Rise to sell as well as World. Good luck with that :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
World PS4 sales ending up higher than Rise Switch sales is a possibility. Its definitely not set in stone that Switch Rise will outsell it worldwide.
The only way it won't outsell it is if you don't count the inevitable ultimate edition towards its sales.

Mh rise + ultimate/g will outsell ps4 world/iceborne without a shadow of a doubt.

Woopah

They are expecting Rise to sell as well as World. Good luck with that :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I've managed to find the exact ones from the leak. We can use these to judge the games' sales performance:

MH Rise: 9.079M
MH Rise G: 4.033M
Monster Hunter 6: 9.919M

The only way it won't outsell it is if you don't count the inevitable ultimate edition towards its sales.

Mh rise + ultimate/g will outsell ps4 world/iceborne without a shadow of a doubt.
Yes I'm only comparing base versions. Adding in expanded editions could put the Switch SKU ahead.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've managed to find the exact ones from the leak. We can use these to judge the games' sales performance:

MH Rise: 9.079M
MH Rise G: 4.033M
Monster Hunter 6: 9.919M

Yes I'm only comparing base versions. Adding in expanded editions could put the Switch SKU ahead.
But the ultimate editions are a big thing with monster hunter. Iceborne came out in 2019 and included the base game. They add iceborne numbers to world. Good luck in finding out monster hunter worlds ps4 sales physical from start 2018 to end of 2019

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Just passing to laugh about how some people here didn't believe in the actual Japanese numbers leaked on Tuesday and now they can't be found in Famitsu thread lol

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Just passing to laugh about how some people here didn't believe in the actual Japanese numbers leaked on Tuesday and now they can't be found in Famitsu thread lol
What you said:
MHW 5 million WW with Japan being < 1m
MHR 4 million WW with Japan being ~2m.

The actual numbers for both are about 1,8 million first-week including digital and physical.
You got the numbers for MHW totally wrong and what you said wasn't hard data and that was the entire point. You didn't even have the decency to post the leak. Furthermore, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to speculate that Rise and World would sell roughly the same in Japan.

Take the "L" and move on I'd say, but hey, you think MHR will do 6-7 million lifetime and I think it will do 10+ million. Let's make a bet and figure out who is in the right. :messenger_relieved:

I'll gladly eat the crow if it turns out in your favor.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
For being right again? ;)
MHW 5 million WW with Japan being < 1m
MHR 4 million WW with Japan being ~2m.
The new MH sold less than half of World using physical only data.
If you can’t see the around 50% drop sales in west then I can’t help you.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom