• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Sales - PS5 leads for September with sales increase and "all three consoles saw a jump in sales"

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just find it fascinating that once upon a time the $299 Series S was gonna have Sony shook.

Going up against that and The Best Deal in Gaming...Game Pass... along with all the recent Series S promotions...

the PS5 being ahead by any number is nothing to dismiss.

Last edited:

jm89

Yeah. Xbox has been in stock all year and Sony had a big shortage last quarter. They actually recently shot up to 1st place and that gap will grow with even more stock coming in. Microsoft made a genius move with series s. It's the only way they have a chance at keeping up.
It depends, series s alone I don't think would've been enough to compete with sony, as proven by them coming in third place in the previous months.

They had to bundle in FIFA with it for free to really keep up. Although ms probably won't care as they want as many people in their ecosystem.

It depends, series s alone I don't think would've been enough to compete with sony, as proven by them coming in third place in the previous months.

They had to bundle in FIFA with it for free to really keep up. Although ms probably won't care as they want as many people in their ecosystem.

It was mainly series s stock and PS5 being very short last quarter that was the reason. Since then, PS5 has closed the gap and overtaken both xbox and switch. UK is a very strong market for sony. I expect they will mostly stay on top now until the switch 2.

Thats crazy when you consider the fact that the FIFA bundle ps5 cost more than the standard ps5 on top of the price increase as well

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Bit more info.

Tons of stock of ps5 but they are down slightly?

Sony has constant adverts and marketing deals with cod and fifa and now god of war coming but are only narrowly edging out xbox series in sales. Anyone saying that series s and gamepass ain't putting in work needs to reassess seeings though MS doesn't have one big release.

It's a good competitive gen that's for sure.

GOW should cause a big jump in November. MS gonna have to do some crazy Xbox deals.

reksveks

Sony has constant adverts and marketing deals with cod and fifa and now god of war coming but are only narrowly edging out xbox series in sales. Anyone saying that series s and gamepass ain't putting in work needs to reassess seeings though MS doesn't have one big release.

GOW should cause a big jump in November. MS gonna have to do some crazy Xbox deals.
Yeah it's a weird gen and still think the lack of a holiday game is going to bite xbox in the butt unless we see the US only COD + Series S deal in the UK.

I would like to investigate how much of Q4 sales happens week by week. Sony could have and probably have just held stock till next week and black friday. Going to be a while till we see that data.

The console that I am personally seeing the most ads for is the Switch OLED and Pokemon. Have seen a couple of GoW ads though on TV.

jm89

What happened with Amazon last month? Normally they drop ps5s without having to go through invitation. Last month I don't think I saw a single drop where you could just buy one.

reksveks

What happened with Amazon last month? Normally they drop ps5s without having to go through invitation. Last month I don't think I saw a single drop where you could just buy one.
Amazon UK is a weird one, I have been wondering whats going on for a while.

The ps5 I don't think has led for the last 3 months on Amazon UK so have just assume Sony are sending to other retailers.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah it's a weird gen and still think the lack of a holiday game is going to bite xbox in the butt unless we see the US only COD + Series S deal in the UK.

I would like to investigate how much of Q4 sales happens week by week. Sony could have and probably have just held stock till next week and black friday. Going to be a while till we see that data.

The console that I am personally seeing the most ads for is the Switch OLED and Pokemon. Have seen a couple of GoW ads though on TV.

I've been watching a lot of apex comps on twitch for work and every set of 4 adverts has 3 for ps5. Cod mw2, fifa 23, calisto protocol or gow. They are pushing like crazy.

This Xmas will really show how genius the series s is or isn't. If they can even get close to ps5 or close the gap at all it's a success. Now, saying that...as an xbox fan I want them to get stomped in some ways as they shouldn't be rewarded for having zero output outside of a cheap option and good gamepass offering.

I am genuinely thankful to Sony for them existing and delivering an excellent holiday game in GOW Ragnarok and they deserve all the sales for this years output! Props to them.

zzill3

Banned

Doesn’t make sense really to hold consoles back when they’re going to sell regardless. Holding the console requires warehouse space and associated costs, and there’s no benefit to selling later rather than selling now when you know they’ll both sell anyway.

If they weren’t selling everything out but were expecting a surge in demand like releasing GOW:R, then it does, to make sure retailers don’t run out unexpectedly, but when they sell everything anyway? Best thing to do is get them in the hands of consumers ASAP.

reksveks

Doesn’t make sense really to hold consoles back when they’re going to sell regardless. Holding the console requires warehouse space and associated costs, and there’s no benefit to selling later rather than selling now when you know they’ll both sell anyway.

If they weren’t selling everything out but were expecting a surge in demand like releasing GOW:R, then it does, to make sure retailers don’t run out unexpectedly, but when they sell everything anyway? Best thing to do is get them in the hands of consumers ASAP.
That's my thoughts as well but according to their earning reports, they are clearly holding inventory. I would also be shipping to retailers ASAP.

Friendly psa for UK consumers, the fifa bundle for the disc sku is in stock at shopto and has been for a while. So if you want one, can go that way.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Maybe they were holding back hardware ready to release as a bundle with GoW and increase revenue and GoW sales in one go.

Dr.D00p

Lol...just got an Email and have been 'invited' to buy a PS5 by Amazon.

1. I don't want one, never have
2. I have no recollection of ever putting myself on the 'invite list'

yazenov

The only "clever" move MS made was to undercut the PS5 in price while losing USD 100 to 200 in the process, AKA the rich kid move. Compete with price, not features or quality. An interesting fact is PS5 outsold the competition despite the price increase.

By units, the PS5 is slightly ahead, but by revenue, it's ahead of the pack by more than a mile, and it's not even close. It's the leader by both metrics of success. (both Units and revenue should be taken into account for context).

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I've been watching a lot of apex comps on twitch for work and every set of 4 adverts has 3 for ps5. Cod mw2, fifa 23, calisto protocol or gow. They are pushing like crazy.

Compared to Sony in the UK, Xbox advertising feels near non existent, I usually see big playstation releases advertised on billboards, tv or even on the side of buses & non stop on YouTube especially the recent gow:ragnarok, but I can't think of a time I've seen that in the UK for Xbox.

Hell, I think the only Xbox advertisement I've seen from xbox online in the uk recently was a Smyth's Toys Xbox advert on youtube oddly, it was odd because it was Smyth's Toys and not Xbox themselves advertising their console/game pass.

Edit: actually there is a game pass/persona 5 royal wall art in London currently. (What is pretty cool/random)

3p84jqwvqyu91.jpg

Last edited:

ManaByte

Lol...just got an Email and have been 'invited' to buy a PS5 by Amazon.

1. I don't want one, never have
2. I have no recollection of ever putting myself on the 'invite list'
The supply chain in the US is locked and loaded for the holidays with both consoles. If you don’t have one already you’ll be able to get one (online) pretty easily between the middle of November and Christmas.

Or Playstation didn't ship as many units to the UK and none of this happened.
Yep xbox catch up with demand. Ps struggling and switch being switch
Playstation, the best selling console is...struggling? What?

jm89

Amazon UK is a weird one, I have been wondering whats going on for a while.

The ps5 I don't think has led for the last 3 months on Amazon UK so have just assume Sony are sending to other retailers.
Looks like they finally dropped the ragnarok bundle today.

reksveks

Playstation, the best selling console is...struggling? What?
think he is talking relatively to demand, beat me to it

Compared to Sony in the UK, Xbox advertising feels near non existent, I usually see big playstation releases advertised on billboards, tv or even on the side of buses & non stop on YouTube especially the recent gow:ragnarok, but I can't think of a time I've seen that in the UK for Xbox.
Xbox advertising is defintely alot smaller than Sony. I get more Naunce ads from MS than I do Xbox.

Lasha

Gamesindustry.biz for more info and entire top 20

breaking-bad-walter-white.gif

Seems like the PS5 price increase did nothing to stop Sony's domination in the UK, even though some of the competition is selling SKUs half of its price at the moment.

Article will be up, probably today and i'll update this topic as soon we have more info from Chris.

How can you say domination when there are nothing but percentage increases? Is there any data broken down into absolute numbers?

How can you say domination when there are nothing but percentage increases? Is there any data broken down into absolute numbers?
The best selling console this year in the UK is a console that can't meet demand, it's by far the most expensive one by at least £150/£200 depending on the competitor and suffered a price increase that did nothing to stop its sales.

If this isn't dominating i don't know what is.

Lasha

The best selling console this year in the UK is a console that can't meet demand, it's by far the most expensive one by at least £150/£200 depending on the competitor and suffered a price increase that did nothing to stop its sales.

If this isn't dominating i don't know what is.

Dominating would be what Nintendo and Sony do to Microsoft in Japan. Without actual numbers it's possible that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all selling closely.

Dominating would be what Nintendo and Sony do to Microsoft in Japan. Without actual numbers it's possible that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all selling closely.
Dominating would be what Nintendo does to EVERYONE in Japan.

Sony did slighty better in the UK. They've done a good job increasing their supply, getting marketing deals, and they have their biggest 1st party franchise dropping another title.

The only info here that could cause jaws to hit the floor was if the PS5 didn't outsell the Xbox/Switch. All this "dominating" and "slaying" talk is nothing more than people trying to justify their preference. The more you engage with them, the more bizarre their narrative becomes. Other than for pure entertainment, it largely serves no purpose in doing so.

Thirty7ven

Banned

They sell what they have. UK is Xbox’s second market, considering all the value proposition and cheaper console (that’s right, PS5 is more expensive) and Series S it should be leading sales not be in second place.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

That's my thoughts as well but according to their earning reports, they are clearly holding inventory. I would also be shipping to retailers ASAP.

Friendly psa for UK consumers, the fifa bundle for the disc sku is in stock at shopto and has been for a while. So if you want one, can go that way.
Could be bundles that haven't released yet (or have just released, like CoD)?
Fgvyh-GXoAMiiFr

Stolen from Twitter.

They sell what they have. UK is Xbox’s second market, considering all the value proposition and cheaper console (that’s right, PS5 is more expensive) and Series S it should be leading sales not be in second place.

This logic doesn't make sense, why are people constantly forgetting that the S and X together are supposed to make up sales, so when S is the only part selling, and the X is commonly out of stock or in low supply, which has only recently been changing, why would Xbox be ahead?

The reason why Xbox is still selling more and having increases is because the X is increasing production and you can more easily buy it.

In several countries, even in Japan, the X is having problems getting units out there to buy. As that changes Xbox will continue to post strong monthlys in several countries compared to the One and the 360. When both he S and X are both easier to get that will make a big difference, I think this holiday we will see this since clearly MS like Sony is holding stock for the holidays.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This logic doesn't make sense, why are people constantly forgetting that the S and X together are supposed to make up sales, so when S is the only part selling, and the X is commonly out of stock or in low supply, which has only recently been changing, why would Xbox be ahead?

The reason why Xbox is still selling more and having increases is because the X is increasing production and you can more easily buy it.

In several countries, even in Japan, the X is having problems getting units out there to buy. As that changes Xbox will continue to post strong monthlys in several countries compared to the One and the 360. When both he S and X are both easier to get that will make a big difference, I think this holiday we will see this since clearly MS like Sony is holding stock for the holidays.

The S is extremely easy to get and the X has been constantly in the 24h to a couple of days delivery.

I didn’t say Xbox wasn’t doing well, just that we are two years into this and considering everything they have thrown at the wall you would expect them to lead at least in one of their two main markets.

The S is extremely easy to get and the X has been constantly in the 24h to a couple of days delivery.

I didn’t say Xbox wasn’t doing well, just that we are two years into this and considering everything they have thrown at the wall you would expect them to lead at least in one of their two main markets.

And in many places the X is not able to be got. Especially for retail buyers, it's easier to get but it's still not where it needs to be. If the X wasn't increasing production, half these sales records for the brand wouldn't happen if the S was selling mostly by itself, the whole point about the Series S is to be a cheap entry level and complement the S, not outdo it. Some will never touch an S and will only touch the X.

So to me it's not surprising at all to see results like this. People are trying to conclude that the PS5 is winning "despite" a condition when it's really that there's another condition related to Xbox they are not considering.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Phil Spencer himself said he expects the Series S to account for the majority of Xbox hardware sales this generation.

It remains to be seen where it all goes, but at least in Europe shortages have not held back either Xbox.

This conversation will be ongoing, I expect two years from now we will be having similar but different arguments.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
And in many places the X is not able to be got. Especially for retail buyers, it's easier to get but it's still not where it needs to be. If the X wasn't increasing production, half these sales records for the brand wouldn't happen if the S was selling mostly by itself, the whole point about the Series S is to be a cheap entry level and complement the S, not outdo it. Some will never touch an S and will only touch the X.

So to me it's not surprising at all to see results like this. People are trying to conclude that the PS5 is winning "despite" a condition when it's really that there's another condition related to Xbox they are not considering.

5CVwR7P.jpg

Pick your poison

There is no such a thing hard to get series x

Phil Spencer himself said he expects the Series S to account for the majority of Xbox hardware sales this generation.

Context is important.

if 50 million S sells WW, that's a majority but isn't much better than the Xbox One. Add 30 million Xbox X sales or more and you get close or pass the 360.

Right now if Xbox Series was over 20 million sold, about 12 of that would be the S. 12 million would be far behind by itself, but if the X makes it 20 million that's a big difference.

People are looking it as 200 consoles, 150 is S and 50 is X. That type of ratio would be disastrous for the X, and would also lose Microsoft a legendary amount of money

I think the ratio will be closer in the end LTD as the Japanese sales are now, 175k X and 206k S, or around that.

Last edited:
:pla-882619520147%7ccrid:587991330707%7cnw:u%7crnd:8338087817933848549%7cdvc:m%7cadp:%7cmt:%7cloc:1006965&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=16586469281&utm_term=8448262&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=137424042631&utm_custom2=534-693-8244&GPDP=true&gclid=CjwKCAjw8JKbBhBYEiwAs3sxN7HZNmdn4G3XoSrTpKEp_F8GTWgi-L-7QKGqvY54wiDsjW8JmmlUsBoCThsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds[/URL]

[/URL]

:eek:verviewtab[/URL]

5CVwR7P.jpg

Pick your poison

There is no such a thing hard to get series x
'
The disconnect with gaming forums and the general population never ceases to amaze me, and over the years no lessons are learned.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

You honestly believe MS should be leading in one of the two main markets after the xbox one vs ps4?

I think they are doing well if they make any change from 2 to 1 sales. This kind of thing doesn't change over night.

Even when Ryzen came along it took until 3000 series for them to swing the pendulum from Intel.

Looks at Nvidia vs Rad3on. It takes gargantuan strides for a company to claw back market share.

The fact is, Sony has all the marketing on every casual release from fifa to call of duty, fortnite and more....why would people be swayed to buy an xbox? With just gamepass? That hasn't hit its stride yet due to weak first party line up?

If Microsoft can make it to a 2:3 outselling from Sony they've made huge strides imo. They got spanked last gen.

Three

You honestly believe MS should be leading in one of the two main markets after the xbox one vs ps4?
How did the PS4 lead after the PS3 vs 360? There was nothing inherently wrong with Xbox One. They just didn't build a solid first party library during the gen and just went the gamepass route. That's working for them in terms of new Series S sales but you make it seem like xbox one could not have been turned around like PS3 was to PS4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom