• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Sales - PS5 leads for September with sales increase and "all three consoles saw a jump in sales"

Xbox, PlayStation and Switch sales jump 41% in September | UK Monthly Charts​

Sales of games consoles surged by 41% during September. GfK panel data shows that over 176,000 machines were sold.
All three main consoles had a strong month. PS5 remained the best-selling console, with sales up 9% over August. The machine now boasts over two million players in the UK.
Just behind PS5 is Xbox Series X and S, which saw a significant 104% jump in sales compared with August.

Further back in third spot is Nintendo Switch, although even that console enjoyed a strong 44% sales uplift during the month, helped by the launch of Splatoon 3.

Overall, year-to-date console sales are still down 35.5% in the UK.

The GSD UK September Top 20 Video Games (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1FIFA 22 (EA)
2Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
3NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
4Splatoon 3 (Nintendo)*
5The Last of Us: Part 1 (Sony)
6Saints Row (Deep Silver)
7Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
8F1 22 (Codemasters)
9Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
10Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
Gamesindustry.biz for more info and entire top 20

breaking-bad-walter-white.gif

Seems like the PS5 price increase did nothing to stop Sony's domination in the UK, even though some of the competition is selling SKUs half of its price at the moment.

Article will be up, probably today and i'll update this topic as soon we have more info from Chris.

Last edited:
These consoles are readily available everywhere now. My local GameStop hasn’t been sold out of PS5s in months. No reason to not have one now. Time to end the cross gen massacre of games
Good for your country but for most countries this isn't true at all. Consoles are very clearly still being delivered primarily to the UK and USA.
I have yet to see a single PS5 just sitting in a store here in Portugal. You hear similar reports in Spain, Sweden, Norway, etc...

Most of Sony's strongest markets aren't getting decent volume of units yet. Sony is prioritizing the 2 places Xbox doesn't outsell them from 2:1 to bigger gaps because they know they got it already.

Elios83

"There was a big surge in Xbox Series X stock."

Getting ready for that Starfield monster drop :lollipop_fire:
Yeah it's so far sighted to think one year ahead :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously with God of War around the corner Sony has the chance to easily dominate the holiday season if they have the stock levels they are expecting. It will be interesting to see the July-September shipments results when they are announced in early November. Things have clearly improved considerably.

MOTM

Banned
Was it really worth it xbox not increasing the price?

Sure you got some short term positive pr and ms can eat the cost easily, but long term it has done nothing really.
What major electronics company has increased the cost of a product that was already out besides Sony?

MS nor Nintendo have no obligation to react to Sony's move.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned

Sure you got some short term positive pr and ms can eat the cost easily, but long term it has done nothing really.
Yes, because if xbox price would increase in Europe -> it would sell even less on the non-main countries.

Situation at Finland:

Series S have basically been available since the launch, and used ones are sold low as 100€
Series X were available sometimes in first year, and some stores had plenty of stock even at last december, and now market have been kind of saturated for months. Used ones go for 300-350€

PS5 have been super sold out until last few months, when there have been rarely stock in stores (still never seen units in shelf), mainly fifa bundle and even those have been sold out pretty fast.

So if they would increase series S + X price, maybe they would gain some money on their main areas (US+UK), but on areas that are playstation dominted -> sales could decrease.

That could have caused long term drop in sales.

Consoles are already more expensive in EU than USA, so they are kind of already at the max limit before casuals stop buying them, at least on countries where price is Dollars == Euros + taxes.

I have series x + ps5 + switch. I dont care about nintendo sales as their cames dont interest me, but it is nice if xbox sells better than in last gen.

Series S is just not good from serious gamers perspective, even less in countries where it is really unpopular like here and used ones sells less than half what new one costs already, when gen have barely started. But it is what it is. both main systems are good enough.

Three

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Good for your country but for most countries this isn't true at all. Consoles are very clearly still being delivered primarily to the UK and USA.
I have yet to see a single PS5 just sitting in a store here in Portugal. You hear similar reports in Spain, Sweden, Norway, etc...

Most of Sony's strongest markets aren't getting decent volume of units yet. Sony is prioritizing the 2 places Xbox doesn't outsell them from 2:1 to bigger gaps because they know they got it already.

Don't believe what that guy's peddling. I'm in the US and have yet to see a PS5 sitting on a store shelf.

Maybe for the series x, but the series s is going in the opposite direction, its being marked down and put on sale almost everywhere or getting free game and controller bundles. I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets a permanent price drop next year to 250.

MOTM

Banned
Meta, by 100$
MS by £400
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...es-of-some-laptops-by-up-to-400-due-to-brexit
They increased Office 365 prices this year too.

£30 increase on hardware isn't some unprecedented thing
of4vGuB.png

Did you find this article on page 22 of Google search?

I meant no major player has increased there prices lately because of "inflation". Sony is the exception, 99.99% of companies have simply carried on business as usual. Nobody needs to react to Sony's move because it's way out of the norm.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Surprising knowing the economic situation in UK is getting worst by the day for the brits.

Last edited:

Three

of4vGuB.png

Did you find this article on page 22 of Google search?

I meant no major player has increased there prices lately because of "inflation". Sony is the exception, 99.99% of companies have simply carried on business as usual. Nobody needs to react to Sony's move because it's way out of the norm.
The PS5 is 2 years old. You said no electronics company has increased their prices but they clearly have.

"What major electronics company has increased the cost of a product that was already out besides Sony?"

Meta increased their Quest price just in July this year by £100.
MS did it earlier for their hardware except xbox and did it for their services just this year in March and xbox services earlier. It's not out of the norm. Nintendo haven't cut their prices significantly for 5 years. They released a new Switch revision with a $50 price hike in july just last year. MS want to remain competitive with the xbox console and haven't increased it, otherwise the 6% hike is not out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

jm89

The UK games market saw a big jump in console sales during September, but the overall sector remains down over 2021.

That’s according to the latest data from GfK (accessories and consoles) and GSD (physical and digital games).

3.17 million games were sold across the UK last month, which is up over 83% compared with August, but down 6% over the same period in 2021. Over 957,000 physical games were sold, with the remaining 2.2 million coming from digital retailers.

The market was driven by FIFA 23, which accounted for over a third of all games sold in the UK last month, despite only being on sale for a few days. This is the final FIFA game from EA, and its opening week sales are slightly up over the previous year’s game (+1%).

There are several new games in the charts. NBA 2K23 manages No.3 in its first month, and it is a strong performance, with sales up over 25% compared with its predecessor.

Splatoon 3 from Nintendo manages No.4. The Switch title has been a steady seller all month, and may have charted higher, but Nintendo does not currently share digital sales with the charts company. In terms of physical sales, Splatoon 3 was the No.2 best-selling game of the month.

The final new game in the Top Ten is The Last of Us: Part 1 on PS5, which manages fifth spot.

Strong month for Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo

Sales of games consoles surged by 41% during September. GfK panel data shows that over 176,000 machines were sold.

All three main consoles had a strong month. PS5 remained the best-selling console, with sales up 9% over August. The machine now boasts over two million players in the UK.

Just behind PS5 is Xbox Series X and S, which saw a significant 104% jump in sales compared with August.

Further back in third spot is Nintendo Switch, although even that console enjoyed a strong 44% sales uplift during the month. Nintendo released a new Splatoon 3 version of the console during September.

Overall, year-to-date console sales are still down 35.5% in the UK.

And finally, nearly 735,000 accessories and add-on products were sold in the UK during September, a rise of more than 34% over August, but down nearly 8% over September 2021.

The accessories market continues to rise and fall with the console sector. The best-selling item remains the PS5 DualSense controller, with the Xbox Wireless Shock Blue controller in second spot. The latter jumped 93 places in the charts due to a £10 price drop at key UK retailers.

September (176k total):
NSW 48k
XBS 64k
PS5 65k

YTD: (1.05m total)
NSW ~343k
XBS ~349k
PS5 ~365k

Estimates from IBF
I'm starting to feel PS5 has a shot at actually being #1 for the year in the UK.
It all depends on December tbh.

I feel October and November they got it in the bag but December it'll depend on stock only...not sure if they have enough to be #1 ahead of the switch int he end.

jm89

I don't know why chris dring keeps saying series x has not been easy to buy, that hasn't been true since spring. He even said that a few months ago and it wasn't true.

Last edited:
Yeah, it may be like last year. I wonder if pokemon will drive November sales but who knows.
I didn't count Switch winning November because of GOW Ragnarok, the bundles for COD and Ragnarok itself, the fact the console is newer, etc...but again it depends if Sony can have supply for that month. It's always tough to predict right now.

John Wick

These consoles are readily available everywhere now. My local GameStop hasn’t been sold out of PS5s in months. No reason to not have one now. Time to end the cross gen massacre of games
Are they now? Tell you what are you living on a remote island otherwise highly doubt.

yazenov

PS5 is slaying the competition in Units and revenue, since the price is way higher than the competition.

Its pretty impressive given the market situation around the world. The more expensive consoles sells the most units is not an easy feat to accomplish.

All this with the competition having thr "best value in gaming" Gamepass, while people are shelling out $70 for Sony 1st party games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom