• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK sales 2020: Nintendo Switch recorded the best selling hardware for a single year in this generation. PS5 and XSX failed to match PS4/XBO in 2013

ethomaz

Banned
Here is all the hard data facts we know:

2020 total hardware 3160k
Switch ~ PS5 + PS4 + XBS + XBO
PS5 slightly ahead of PS4
Xbox Series about the same as Xbox One
Switch up 52.2% YoY
PS4 down 35.3% YoY
XBO down 42.3% YoY

That should be enough to get some better estimates
Where did you get the bold? I saw a month claim not year.

Edit - Chris posted on Twitter... I found it.

That means Switch sold around 1.55m units... that again go against OP numbers.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I just did some research.

UK 2018 HW: ~2.5m (GFK directly)
UK 2019 HW: ~2.45m (based on 2020 being 29.4% increase)
UK 2020 HW: ~3.16m (GFK directly)

The data presented in OP doesn’t fit the actual combined data.

There is 250k units missing in that estimate.

There are 255k units missing in that estimate.
Isn't GFK numbers are also estimates? IDG is more tech focused too?

MagnesG

Banned
GFK uses direct tracking to over 90% of the retail.
IDG is research estimates... they were wrong a lot of times in the past.
What are these about GFK surveys scams then? Also can you specify which estimates of IDG are wrong in the past?

Wrong again.

"This statistic displays unit sales of the PS3 and PS4 gaming consoles in the United Kingdom from 2011 to 2019. In 2019, roughly 1.3 million units of the PS4 were sold."
Sorry but statista is just a data aggregator.
Ps4 sold not 1.3m in 2019 in the UK...

Do you have an account there and looked up the original souce?
Ps4 sold below 1 million in 2019 in the UK

Gotta do better than some whacky analyst numbers

PS4 peaking in it's first year for near enough the entire EU market? Come on now

Bro the console is on market since 7 years.
Total lifetime sales are 7.5 million.

How do you think that math is possible with 1.5m units a year?

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Bro the console is on market since 7 years.
Total lifetime sales are 7.5 million.

How do you think that math is possible with 1.5m units a year?

He will deny it even if it came from Sony itself.

Fantastic year for Switch, really a perfect storm of their library peaking in desirability and parents stuck at home with kids in need of entertainment.

Also great start for the 9th gen systems, but a shame neither could get more stock out, since they are anywhere close to having reached their sales potential here.

I still don't know who is buying a switch in the UK. I see no adverts, no marketing push, no word of mouth. I hear no friends, family or co-workers talk about the switch. All i can think of is that it's a 'class' thing, and all the super snobs are hoovering them up.

Who knows?

I still don't know who is buying a switch in the UK. I see no adverts, no marketing push, no word of mouth. I hear no friends, family or co-workers talk about the switch. All i can think of is that it's a 'class' thing, and all the super snobs are hoovering them up.

Who knows?
YouTube advertising directly to kids, said children stuck at home needing entertainment, which also leads to more people demanding the use of the TV, and almost everyone pushing the boat further out for Christmas than usual.

Add to that Animal Crossing, which sees a ton of adverts on ITV, Ch4, Ch5 and their streaming services, also massively driving sales amongst women.

sure, the working class families made redundant are less likely to be driving sales than usual, but for everyone else it’s a no brainer purchase.

Woopah

Who knows?
Why would it be a class thing?

For any platform there are going to be a huge number of people who don't buy it.

YouTube advertising directly to kids, said children stuck at home needing entertainment, which also leads to more people demanding the use of the TV, and almost everyone pushing the boat further out for Christmas than usual.

Add to that Animal Crossing, which sees a ton of adverts on ITV, Ch4, Ch5 and their streaming services, also massively driving sales amongst women.

sure, the working class families made redundant are less likely to be driving sales than usual, but for everyone else it’s a no brainer purchase.

I thought those kids were playing fortnite?

That'll be why i've seen no adverts then, i don't have a TV license or bother with any form of TV.

*laughs in insurmountable debt* that's not why I thought there was a class difference, see below VVV
Why would it be a class thing?

For any platform there are going to be a huge number of people who don't buy it.
Because down here with the serfs and poors, i don't see many people talking about switch. So i just assumed, tongue-in-cheek, that Reginald was buying a switch for his sons Tarquin and Cecil.

"Come here, Father has a present for you young gents. Look, it's one of those consoles that the poors like, spiffingly jolly good, you can play pretend as a working-class burger constructer, now off you go, back to buggery and bordering school!"

or something

Birdo

Banned
And in the UK, Switches were out of stock for about four months (I know this because it took me months to find one).

Imagine how many would have sold without that shortage.... :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

llien

Supply issues
This.

TSMC, you lazy motherf*ckers!!!

And in the UK, Switches were out of stock for about four months (I know this because it took me months to find one).

Imagine how many would have sold without that shortage.... :messenger_neutral:
Wouldn't people who couldn't buy it in the first 4 month simply buy it in the remaining months when supply issues were addressed?

Last edited:

Woopah

I thought those kids were playing fortnite?

That'll be why i've seen no adverts then, i don't have a TV license or bother with any form of TV.

*laughs in insurmountable debt* that's not why I thought there was a class difference, see below VVV

Because down here with the serfs and poors, i don't see many people talking about switch. So i just assumed, tongue-in-cheek, that Reginald was buying a switch for his sons Tarquin and Cecil.

"Come here, Father has a present for you young gents. Look, it's one of those consoles that the poors like, spiffingly jolly good, you can play pretend as a working-class burger constructer, now off you go, back to buggery and bordering school!"

or something
I wanna game with common people
I wanna play whatever common people play
Play my Switch with common people
Laze around with Animal Crossing all day
Be like Tom Nook all the way
And then just get Daddy to pay

PlayStation's are sold out everywhere, and with ports being closed during Brexit negotiations, and there still being some import shenanigans caused by Brexit, none of this is surprising.

We can't get any CPUs, GPUs or consoles in this country.

SNG32

It's crazy seeing how Nintendo took over the gaming world again. I remember when the switch first came out how everyone was 50/50 on the success it would have. Nintendo straight knocked it out the park with the switch and when it's all said and done I believe that it will eventually surpass the PS4.

D.Final

Banned
It's crazy seeing how Nintendo took over the gaming world again. I remember when the switch first came out how everyone was 50/50 on the success it would have. Nintendo straight knocked it out the park with the switch and when it's all said and done I believe that it will eventually surpass the PS4.
The times change
And the wind always change

SNG32

The times change
And the wind always change
You see the demand for PS5? It’s a social media sensation and a meme at this point. The console doesn’t hit the shelf of stores before being sold out. Maybe in Japan it might not sell as much but worldwide it’s mayhem.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
You see the demand for PS5? It’s a social media sensation and a meme at this point. The console doesn’t hit the shelf of stores before being sold out. Maybe in Japan it might not sell as much but worldwide it’s mayhem.
not really, the switch was that bad when it came out as did the ps4, the ps5 has shipped exactly the same number of units in the first 2 months as the ps4 (4.5 million and 4.5 million) the ps4 did have 300k tied up in supply chain, but the same is likely true of the ps5,
and ps5 launched in more markets, so there was meaningfully less supply than the ps4.
and scalpers are much worse this time at the ps4's launch about 15 k went through scalpers in the first few days whereas ps5 was about 45k,
and yes I know sony said, "unprecedented demand" and the exact wording is regularly parroted but that's just marketing speak, would any business really say, sorry we couldn't get as many ready as last time, our bad?

Top Bottom